Geno On Unrealistic Expectations | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno On Unrealistic Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Difficult to react to something as ridiculous as this. "Missed top players"? FYI 4 of our starters were the top recruits in their class: 2 of them #1; the other 2 were top 5. I would agree that we've missed out on some great players (Cox and Boston most recently), but we have another #1 coming in next year. UConn's recruiting is unparalleled. You'll have to look elsewhere for this year's problems.
I’ve heard a couple posters say this team isn’t very talented and I wonder what the heck they’re talking about

National rank/position rank

#3/#1 Crystal Dangerfield
NR/#22 Molly Bent
NR/#16 Kyla Irwin
NR/NR Evelyn Adabayo
#1/#1 Megan Walker
#5/#1 Olivia Nelson-Ododa
#1/#1 Christyn Williams
#21/#5 Aubrey Griffin
#12 Eurobasket rank Anna Makurat

On the bench are
#2/#1 Evina Westbrook
#53/#9 Batouly Camara

That’s an amazing collection of talent

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Have we heard one question to a player from the media about "why isn't UConn what they used to be"? I can't remember seeing or reading one. Comments here? Sure. But for the most part the hoard tosses softball questions at both the players and Geno.
And Geno has always told us that winning isn't the goal, that perfection is the goal. Unatainable? for sure, but coming close to it is the result of setting it as the goal.
I have watched many good to great teams elsewhere play just to win. With the exception of a couple of runs they look mediocre for 3 periods and then win it in the 4th period. Sound familiar? I always said to myself how do their fans watch that? And why doesn't their coach demand better? If Geno wants nothing but blind support from fans he isn't the coach I have come to admire.

What I do remember him saying about his players in the past is that he "beaks them down" until mid January and then "builds them up" the rest of the season. Looks like the breakdown phase is over.

Further, I think for the most part this board realized that this was going to be a tough year. The complaints I have are about unforced errors, missed layups and a lack of hustle and of energy expenditure. UConn used to get a high percentage of loose balls. Not this year. UConn used to anticipate passes, intercept them and turn them into points. Not this year. Transition points are almost non-existent along with points off turnovers. Those things aren't about talent or experience, their about effort. I remember some of those pre-1995 teams. They hadn't nearly the talent but the effort was way better. I watched some old games from 1999 - 2004 and it wasn't the obvious talent level that impressed me, it was the effort. They were all over the floor on defense. I watch them this year. Rebounding is a good example. The ball hits the rim and most of them never move until the ball hits the floor. It's like they feel it isn't on them unless it comes right at them. Not all the time but often it's the other team that runs down the loose balls while 2 or 4 UConn players have their shoes glued to the floor. Not everyone. Griffin anticipates rebounds well. So does Williams. The rest look as though they are waiting for the ball to come to them.
Transition? Non-existent. I was at the Baylor game and thought the top reason UConn lost was a lack of transition. And it wasn't UConn's fault, Baylor focused on getting back on defense the entire game, taking away what has been a UConn staple for decades. I accept that from Baylor. But not against Houston, UCF and Memphis. Here are some revealing stats from the last 3 games:

1st period scoring: fg: 14-48 29% 3pt: 4-36 11% ft: 0-6
What those numbers tell me is that no one is driving. (6 fts in 30 minutes of play?) They are settling for 3's and taking bad ones. I understand missing some 3's but 11% against 3 fairly bad teams? That's inexcusable. UConn starts 4 very good 3 pt shooters. No wonder teams are packing the paint. And that's why UConn can't get inside. Instead of ONO setting some high screens and rolling UConn keeps trying to toss it to her down low, the thing she is worst at doing.

You want numbers? Totals for the last 3 entire games> Pts off turnovers: 13/game 2nd chance pts: 8.6/game, fast break pts: 7/game.

I can't list the number of lazy intercepted passes or the times players have not met the pass. But talent and inexperience isn't needed to do those 2 things efficiently.

The reasons? No idea. We don't attend practices, nor do we hear the coaches talking to the players or among themselves. But to me it all adds up to a lack of energy and focus. I suspect that too much attention is being given to figuring out where they are supposed to be at any given moment, and what they should do next. But that's just speculation. Maybe Geno needs to make it simpler. You don't hand a second year piano student, no matter how talented, a Liszt* piano concerto unless you want to hear a messy performance.
I won't start speculating as to what should be done. But I won't deny what I can see with my eyes.

* I know nothing about classical music but I do remember a teacher saying that he wrote music that only he could play (something to do with his finger spread).
I know what you mean about this being a tough year. Tough relative to some other years. The team is about to be a hair pulling 16-1. The average margin is smaller. We might not be the best team in the country. On balance, it could be worse.

Reaction Score
This is the first team in a long while without a NCAA champion on it - the last two graduated last year. Before that it was 2007-08 Maya's freshman year.

They lost 40 points of offense, 17 rebounds, per game as well as 266 assists, 97 steals, and 84 blocks to graduation. The offense came at 54% shooting as well as 2-1 A/TO ratio and about eight foul shots a game. Your replacing that with a senior who has never played more than ten minutes a game until this year, a sophomore who got 14 minutes a game as a freshman and a freshman who is just learning about Geno and US basketball. The Senior and the Soph average 6 points total in their 24 minutes combined last year.

To me it is little surprise that they are have growing pains this year. Lou and Napheesa were so reliable game after game for the last three years that their absence is not something you just replace.

they had growing pains last year and the year before that too and the year before that etc, etc,................frankly I don't think Geno has or will ever be totally satisfied with any of his teams whether they won an NC or not and that's what makes him a great coach...............I think the minute he can honestly admit that his team is even close to perfect will be the day he retires.............that day may be coming if a Lauren Betts or another great big combines with Ice Brady, the superhuman back court and the rest of the roster they'll have in the next couple of years.....

Reaction Score
My lying eyes? I don't feel at all ruffled in the slightest about this year's team. I love watching Paige, I love watching the emergence of Aaliyah, I love seeing Evina resurrecting her game, I love Liv's many improvements, I love that we've won all of our games convincingly.
What? Me worry?
1608573809622.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Again, what prompted @Coach to find this old thread from Jan last year after the Baylor game to revisit? Did some other article come out, is it his (@Coach) perspective that this team has unreal expectations on it?

To me this is not a logical visit of that perspective. Until the poster states his reason for prompting that comment, I view this as "fake news"...

Reaction Score
Guess I’m a keyboard coach.
Devil’s advocate: UConn is what UConn has been. Final fours, win streaks, top rated high school recruits, win-loss records, tradition, facilities, coaching staff and support staff excellence, arenas, fan support. Somebody tell me what’s missing.
Here’s one that everybody knows and may apply here. Geno has I believe only one title when he did not have The Best basketball player in WCBB. That means Lobo, DT, Maya, and Stevie. Do the math. So, if things play out like they do historically, he’s gunna win one without a GOAT like we hoped for with Phees, Gabby, KLS, Kia, and Guns, or he’s gunna win with another GOAT- Paige, Azzi, Liv?
Newsflash: the BY got played by Geno. Well played Mauer. What reason under the sun would expectations be lower? A bad recruiting class a couple of years ago, a couple of marginal transfers, 2 players going to the WNBA. Bah
This is just Geno trying to take the pressure off. Damn, a Juggernaut Big East schedule isn’t enough to take the pressure off,

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Guess I’m a keyboard coach.
Devil’s advocate: UConn is what UConn has been. Final fours, win streaks, top rated high school recruits, win-loss records, tradition, facilities, coaching staff and support staff excellence, arenas, fan support. Somebody tell me what’s missing.
Here’s one that everybody knows and may apply here. Geno has I believe only one title when he did not have The Best basketball player in WCBB. That means Lobo, DT, Maya, and Stevie. Do the math. So, if things play out like they do historically, he’s gunna win one without a GOAT like we hoped for with Phees, Gabby, KLS, Kia, and Guns, or he’s gunna win with another GOAT- Paige, Azzi, Liv?
Newsflash: the BY got played by Geno. Well played Mauer. What reason under the sun would expectations be lower? A bad recruiting class a couple of years ago, a couple of marginal transfers, 2 players going to the WNBA. Bah
This is just Geno trying to take the pressure off. Damn, a Juggernaut Big East schedule isn’t enough to take the pressure off,
1608578206890.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Did anyone answer your question?
No, Coach hasn't and I want to keep the train on the tracks to prevent the board going off on a "persecution track" that does not have any founding. We have lots of potential with this team and we may stumble along the way but the future is significantly brighter than a year ago. Let's not rehash old arguments when there are none.

So to recap the poster "coach" yelled "FIRE" in a movie theatre and I want to see the flames first as I suspect it's just the steam from his popcorn he thinks is smoke...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom