Geno on the Young Aaron Hernandez | The Boneyard

Geno on the Young Aaron Hernandez

Reaction Score
Such a tormented situation, where it is awkward--if not outright wrong--to express sympathy about the death of someone who's killed innocent people. Hernandez fell apart after his father suddenly and entirely unexpected died, and, as you say, fell in with a bad crowd (unlike his older brother). His anger was stoked by his father's death and drugs made him paranoid. Because of his incredible skills, he was protected. Even Tim Tebow protected him when he started a fight at a Florida bar before he was even 18! Throughout his time at Florida (good old Urban Meyer--what an upright guy) he was protected. And then with the Patriots, rich and young with his crew living with or around him, the Patriots turned a blind eye. There is even an unproven incident in which Hernandez flew to California where Belichick was coaching the ProBowl to tell Belicheck that he was being hunted. Belichick allegedly responded that maybe Hernandez could find a new apartment and ignored what might have been an earlier plea for help. Whatever. No one spotted the pain and confusion; not that, by the time he was a pro, it was anyone's "responsibility." So 1 (or 3) people are dead because of him, and now he's apparently taken his own life (thought there are many who believe he was murdered). Another American tragedy

Reaction Score
He did the right thing. I'm sure he didn't want to be in prison for 50 years. To some street low life's, prison is not so bad, three square meals a days, get to play basketball, lift weights, roof over your head, some may say beats the streets. AH is used to the high life, cars, women, money, fame. I get why he took his life. Running a prison just wasn't going to cut it.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
He did the right thing. I'm sure he didn't want to be in prison for 50 years. To some street low life's, prison is not so bad, three square meals a days, get to play basketball, lift weights, roof over your head, some may say beats the streets. AH is used to the high life, cars, women, money, fame. I get why he took his life. Running a prison just wasn't going to cut it.

So do I. He was a coward afraid to face his just punishment. In prison he probably realized he was not the bad ass alpha dog he no doubt thought he was.

Reaction Score
Sad, a lot of adults really let him down. Someone needed to step up when he was younger. Found what he lacked by joining a gang. Terrible decisions after he lost his dad. Doesn't mean you take lives because your unhappy, but the adults that knew him let him down. Seen this story too many times. This is sad for me because this could have been me, but someone stepped up and and cared enough to show me love and right from wrong and that someone cared about me. Have three older brothers who weren't as lucky. All in prison for murder. Like Geno said that's not who he was, but who he became because no one stepped up. People handle things differently and he just needed help. I can relate to Geno because when I heard the details of what my brothers did, it's like it's not even the same people I grew up with. I don't think anyone has the right here to trash Aaron except the victims family if they choose because everyone has a basic understanding of right and wrong and he obviously didn't care.

Reaction Score
So do I. He was a coward afraid to face his just punishment. In prison he probably realized he was not the bad ass alpha dog he no doubt thought he was.

I actually thought a guy like that could run a prision. Young, tough, murderer, nuts, had some fame. Ahh. Anyway who cares right.

Reaction Score
I actually thought a guy like that could run a prision. Young, tough, murderer, nuts, had some fame. Ahh. Anyway who cares right.
I don't know how old you are, JustinesGuy, or how many times you've had to face tragedy or situations in which things could have been so very, very different if only, if only, if only.... But I suspect that many of who have, share the feelings of Jeff Jacoby and the Auriemmas.

When I first heard the news this morning, my wife Kathy said something to me," UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said. "I was having a cup of coffee. She started to tear up a little bit and cry. That probably sums up best the memories we have from him, about him as a family, having spent a lot of time with him. Whether it be traveling with him to different games with AAU, staying at our house at the beach, he was great friends with my son."

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Some weird legal implications coming up? For the murder he was convicted of: because his appeal has not been heard yet....that conviction
simply did not happen according to the legal system....according to legal beagles I have read. He dies 'innocent'.
The mother of that victim in her civil suit against Hernandez now has to 'prove' he committed that crime because that 'guilty' verdict simply is tossed out....though she has to prove it with a burden of
'preponderance' not 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. That according to several attorneys....including Dershowitz.

Thus his suicide may help his fiancée and daughter get his estate....not the mother of Oden Lloyd.
Dershowitz also said that his recent acquittal of the other murder charges might have helped his appeal....leading if not to
an acquittal but perhaps a lesser charge in a plea perhaps making him eligible for parole at some point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some weird legal implications coming up? For the murder he was convicted of: because his appeal has not been heard yet....that conviction
simply did not happen according to the legal system....according to legal beagles I have read. He dies 'innocent'.
The mother of that victim in her civil suit against Hernandez now has to 'prove' he committed that crime because that 'guilty' verdict simply is tossed out....though she has to prove it with a burden of
'preponderance' not 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. That according to several attorneys....including Dershowitz.

Thus his suicide may help his fiancée and daughter get his estate....not the mother of Oden Lloyd.
Dershowitz also said that his recent acquittal of the other murder charges might have helped his appeal....leading if not to
an acquittal but perhaps a lesser charge in a plea perhaps making him eligible for parole at some point.

I think it's likely that a civil suit will still be successful. As you say, it requires a much lower standard of proof - and there was a ton of evidence to convict. Also some of the other damning evidence that was not allowed by the judge in his criminal trial might come in during the civil suit.

I seriously doubt that the acquittal on these totally unrelated charges would have changed anything on his appeal. Only a major error by the trial judge might have led to a retrial - and even then he probably would have again been found guilty. Only a new trial plus a hung jury would have led to a plea bargain down the road.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
simply did not happen according to the legal system....according to legal beagles I have read. He dies 'innocent'..

If I remember rightly, this is what happened when Ken Lay of the Enron scandal died while his conviction was on appeal. As a result, his family got to keep all the money he stole (based on his conviction) and no restitution from his estate was available for those he cheated.

Reaction Score
I don't know how old you are, JustinesGuy, or how many times you've had to face tragedy or situations in which things could have been so very, very different if only, if only, if only.... But I suspect that many of who have, share the feelings of Jeff Jacoby and the Auriemmas.

When I first heard the news this morning, my wife Kathy said something to me," UConn women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma said. "I was having a cup of coffee. She started to tear up a little bit and cry. That probably sums up best the memories we have from him, about him as a family, having spent a lot of time with him. Whether it be traveling with him to different games with AAU, staying at our house at the beach, he was great friends with my son."

I don't know exactly when it occurred to me, though it was at least 2 score from the start :cool:, Coach immediately went to what can be done from NOW or at least, that's how I interpreted the quotes. That's looking at things half full, that's where I want to be and I can't get enough affirmation of dat because it's hard. Thanks Doc.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
I know that some on this board don't care much for Jeff Jacobs, but he remains one of my favorite sports writers, and this article is a prime example of why.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I remember rightly, this is what happened when Ken Lay of the Enron scandal died while his conviction was on appeal. As a result, his family got to keep all the money he stole (based on his conviction) and no restitution from his estate was available for those he cheated.
As information, the creditors committee of Enron sued Linda Lay, Ken's former wife, for the proceeds fraudulently earned during her deceased husband's time at Enron. Some 7 years after his death a settlement was reached in which a substantial portion of Lay's remaining wealth was forfeited.

Reaction Score
Such a tormented situation, where it is awkward--if not outright wrong--to express sympathy about the death of someone who's killed innocent people. Hernandez fell apart after his father suddenly and entirely unexpected died, and, as you say, fell in with a bad crowd (unlike his older brother). His anger was stoked by his father's death and drugs made him paranoid. Because of his incredible skills, he was protected. Even Tim Tebow protected him when he started a fight at a Florida bar before he was even 18! Throughout his time at Florida (good old Urban Meyer--what an upright guy) he was protected. And then with the Patriots, rich and young with his crew living with or around him, the Patriots turned a blind eye. There is even an unproven incident in which Hernandez flew to California where Belichick was coaching the ProBowl to tell Belicheck that he was being hunted. Belichick allegedly responded that maybe Hernandez could find a new apartment and ignored what might have been an earlier plea for help. Whatever. No one spotted the pain and confusion; not that, by the time he was a pro, it was anyone's "responsibility." So 1 (or 3) people are dead because of him, and now he's apparently taken his own life (thought there are many who believe he was murdered). Another American tragedy

This is a great read. Your the tacit invitation to not only express sympathy but to feel it is perhaps the only good that can come.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
As information, the creditors committee of Enron sued Linda Lay, Ken's former wife, for the proceeds fraudulently earned during her deceased husband's time at Enron. Some 7 years after his death a settlement was reached in which a substantial portion of Lay's remaining wealth was forfeited.

Thanks for the update. Glad things turned out this way.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think it's likely that a civil suit will still be successful. As you say, it requires a much lower standard of proof - and there was a ton of evidence to convict. Also some of the other damning evidence that was not allowed by the judge in his criminal trial might come in during the civil suit.

I seriously doubt that the acquittal on these totally unrelated charges would have changed anything on his appeal. Only a major error by the trial judge might have led to a retrial - and even then he probably would have again been found guilty. Only a new trial plus a hung jury would have led to a plea bargain down the road.
I agree... there was more evidence in the Odin Lloyd case so I civil case would be a slam dunk.

I think he knew he was guilty of everything and couldnt face it any longer... and now we must see that the "brain stuff" finds.

Geno I knew a lot of great kids at 15 who went on to do some crazy stuff... and Aaron isnt any different!

Reaction Score
The Times reports that Hernandez's brain will be sent to the CTE team at Boston University to see whether he suffered from that brain disease. If they find CTE, it could explain a great deal about his disastrous behavior.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Times reports that Hernandez's brain will be sent to the CTE team at Boston University to see whether he suffered from that brain disease. If they find CTE, it could explain a great deal about his disastrous behavior.
While I fully understand Hernandez's family looking for some explanation in order to try to make sense of his behavior, it should be noted that he was 27 years old when he took his life. His antisocial and violent behavior started in his teenage years.

The skeptic inside me has to wonder if money isn't at the root of the effort by the Hernandez family to prove that Aaron Hernandez was suffering from CTE. In so doing, they could potentially demonstrate extenuating circumstances in the upcoming civil suit by Odin Lloyd's family against Hernandez's estate, and they could lay the potential groundwork for a possible lawsuit against the NFL, the Patriots, the NCAA and the University of FL.

I hope the skeptic in me is wrong, and this is simply about the family trying to find some answers, but human nature can far too often disappoint.

Reaction Score
While I fully understand Hernandez's family looking for some explanation in order to try to make sense of his behavior, it should be noted that he was 27 years old when he took his life. His antisocial and violent behavior started in his teenage years.

The skeptic inside me has to wonder if money isn't at the root of the effort by the Hernandez family to prove that Aaron Hernandez was suffering from CTE. In so doing, they could potentially demonstrate extenuating circumstances in the upcoming civil suit by Odin Lloyd's family against Hernandez's estate, and they could lay the potential groundwork for a possible lawsuit against the NFL, the Patriots, the NCAA and the University of FL.

I hope the skeptic in me is wrong, and this is simply about the family trying to find some answers, but human nature can far too often disappoint.

You could be correct. However if they do find evidence of CTE, then that changes everything. He did begin exhibiting bad behavior in his teens. But we've seen examples of other teenagers playing football who have also displayed evidence of CTE. There was a player with Penn who committed suicide when he was just twenty (?). Most of the time when relatives suspect that a deceased family member who played football had CTE, they've been proven right. The hit rate for BU is over 90%.

I'm not rooting for any particular outcome. This was a terrible tragedy, wasted lives, senseless violence. Just horrible.

But I made sure my son didn't play football when he was young, and with every story I read I feel vindicated in that decision.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Another new twist in this saga. Through their attorney, the family of Odin Loyd is now asking for the Patriots to pay them for the murder committed by Aaron Hernandez.

As I suspected, the lawyers are going to turn this tragedy into a sad effort to extract money from anyone remotely associated with the event.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom