Geno on the recruiting trail | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on the recruiting trail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would love to hear that Ms. Coombs is visiting the campus, the sooner the better! She looks to be a big time guard who can really disrupt on the defensive end of the floor.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll be happy to reword that "know" to "assumed".I think it's fair to say that not too many Texans have left the state (with one wonderful exception and soon to be a second!!) but the essence of my thought was that there were other "highly rated" bigs that were recruited by Louisville and Maryland. I know nothing more about those players other then what I have read but all three were said to be hardworking, two way players with good skill sets. I guess we will never know whether UConn had no interest in them or visa versa.
My apologies for the sensitivity to your use of the word "know". The sensitivity comes from the occasional poster who after a commitment claims to have "know" exactly what a recruit was going to do. Johnson & Shook may turn out to be very good post players for Louisville but I do not recall either being on UCONN's radar. UCONN tends to focus on 1 or 2 post player in each class. In '14 it was Wilson & Turner. In '15 it was Brown. In '16 it was Cox & McCoy. If any of these players had signed with UCONN the string of Championships could easily extend to 2017. When you focus on 1 or 2 post players, like UCONN does other quality post are bound to emerge and Johnson and Shook could be two of those. No secret UCONN needs to sign a high-caliber post soon. The perception that not many Texans are leaving the state is just due to the number of quality WCBB programs in the state and our last memory of Cox deciding to stay home. Many kids are leaving, some are staying, look at the Baylor roster which has just as many kids from Florida as it does from Texas.

Reaction Score
My apologies for the sensitivity to your use of the word "know". The sensitivity comes from the occasional poster who after a commitment claims to have "know" exactly what a recruit was going to do. Johnson & Shook may turn out to be very good post players for Louisville but I do not recall either being on UCONN's radar. UCONN tends to focus on 1 or 2 post player in each class. In '14 it was Wilson & Turner. In '15 it was Brown. In '16 it was Cox & McCoy. If any of these players had signed with UCONN the string of Championships could easily extend to 2017. When you focus on 1 or 2 post players, like UCONN does other quality post are bound to emerge and Johnson and Shook could be two of those. No secret UCONN needs to sign a high-caliber post soon. The perception that not many Texans are leaving the state is just due to the number of quality WCBB programs in the state and our last memory of Cox deciding to stay home. Many kids are leaving, some are staying, look at the Baylor roster which has just as many kids from Florida as it does from Texas.

No apologies necessary...I "know" exactly what you mean......my first hand knowledge regarding women's high school basketball is limited to the state of New jersey where my daughter plays....interestingly of the 11 ESPN 100 ranked player from Texas only 2 managed to escape the clutches of in-state schools....Cierra Jonson to Louisville and Nancy Mulkey to neighboring Oklahoma...on the other hand of the 12 ESPN 100 ranked players from California only 4 remained in state......not sure what that says about CA

Reaction Score
I think Cali kids want to experience something different so they leave state. My daughter was a recruited athlete in another sport and went all the way to Syracuse from Rancho Cucamonga Ca.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No apologies necessary...I "know" exactly what you mean.my first hand knowledge regarding women's high school basketball is limited to the state of New jersey where my daughter plays....interestingly of the 11 ESPN 100 ranked player from Texas only 2 managed to escape the clutches of in-state schools....Cierra Jonson to Louisville and Nancy Mulkey to neighboring Oklahoma...on the other hand of the 12 ESPN 100 ranked players from California only 4 remained in state.not sure what that says about CA
Good to know. My youngest Daughter also played HS BB in the state of N.J. not so long ago. The talent shifts around & no doubt Texas is hot right now.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coombs and Wesleyan won their district semi Saturday. Coombs had 25 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coombs spent the first part of the season finding her stride again after missing all of last year with an ACL tear.

“Mikayla was moving around and walking a lot sooner than most of the ACLs I have seen,” Azar said. “Partly because she’s the most athletic kid I’ve ever seen in my life and partly because of the pre-rehab she did. So she was 100 percent before we ever put her back on that basketball court.

“But it took her some time to get the basketball part back and just the mental speed of the game. From the start of the season, she was a huge contributor. But she’s a different player right now than she was that first game.”

Coombs is less hesitant about physical contact driving to the basket and her stroke from outside has taken some of the pressure off Kaval and Stipe.

“At the beginning, I was pretty frustrated because I rehabbed and I did everything the way I thought I should have,” said Coombs, who will have her choice of colleges when the time comes. “But coming back, I thought I should have been right where I was when I got hurt. It took me a couple of games to realize it was going to take some time. Now I feel like I’m actually starting to become more of myself again.”

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/s...cle_376dc48f-afdc-537a-b753-1bd4dfe62c76.html

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/4 update

Heartbreaking end to Mikayla Coombs' season as Wesleyan loses the state title game in overtime Friday. Coombs scored 12 points.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sounds like a thriller. Heartbreaking for Mikayla, her teammates, and their fans.

I remember another kid who lost in the Georgia championship game in about 2004. She won the next 3. And several others after that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coombs spent the first part of the season finding her stride again after missing all of last year with an ACL tear.

“Mikayla was moving around and walking a lot sooner than most of the ACLs I have seen,” Azar said. “Partly because she’s the most athletic kid I’ve ever seen in my life and partly because of the pre-rehab she did. So she was 100 percent before we ever put her back on that basketball court.

“But it took her some time to get the basketball part back and just the mental speed of the game. From the start of the season, she was a huge contributor. But she’s a different player right now than she was that first game.”

Coombs is less hesitant about physical contact driving to the basket and her stroke from outside has taken some of the pressure off Kaval and Stipe.

“At the beginning, I was pretty frustrated because I rehabbed and I did everything the way I thought I should have,” said Coombs, who will have her choice of colleges when the time comes. “But coming back, I thought I should have been right where I was when I got hurt. It took me a couple of games to realize it was going to take some time. Now I feel like I’m actually starting to become more of myself again.”

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/s...cle_376dc48f-afdc-537a-b753-1bd4dfe62c76.html
"The most athletic kid I've ever seen in my life." Yikes!!

Reaction Score
Geno also checked in on the Georgia College basketball team today:

My younger granddaughter is a freshman at GCSU and her sister was there last year but transferred up to UGA and they are from Norcross

Reaction Score
I believe Norcross is Diamond's home town. I wonder if she knows Diamond...and whether she would ask her advice
as to where she should go...or perhaps as important....where not to go.
DD was in fact a Norcross grad, I think a year ahead of one of my grands and two on the second. She was the team leader to the state title as I recall.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/4 update

Christyn Williams scored 39 points (14-26 fg) on Friday to get CAC past its first round opponent 47-46.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
3/4 update

Christyn Williams scored 39 points (14-26 fg) on Friday to get CAC past its first round opponent 47-46.

Am I seeing that correctly? 39 out of the 47 points belonged to Williams??

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/5

CAS moves on to the state title game behind 25 more from Christyn Williams on Saturday.

Reaction Score
I agree with UcMiami. There aren't many really good centers. My guess is that UConn isn't having difficulty recruiting centers. Geno just doesn't recruit many centers because most centers can't play his brand of basketball.

There are plenty of big kids out there but not many who can actually play. You are better of with a 6'2 or 6'3 kid that is skilled than a 6'4 or 6'5 stiff. The ideal is to find the 6'4 or 6'5 kid that can play a la Dolson or Stewart. But those are exceedingly rare. 1 or 2 per class, if that.

Ala Tina Charles as well. One of the best at it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The class 4 and 6 girls state championship games in Texas are on TV tonight.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Duncanville on FCSA television. Cierra Johnson. I guess she's already committed to Louisville. I thought they might have other players UCONN might want to recruit. They will also be on FCSC Monday morning at 2:00 a.m. and 4:00a.m.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
3/7 update

Geno scheduled to watch Christyn Williams' attempt at a class title this Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom