Geno on the greatness question | The Boneyard

Geno on the greatness question

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno's most recent tweet:

Some players want the trappings of greatness but not the pain sacrifice heartache it takes to get it#paytheprice

Wonder if he was thinking about this season's team in particular or whether this was just an instance of "deep thoughts with Geno."

In either case, he is absolutely right. You can be born good, but greatness comes at a steep price, one that not everyone is willing to pay. In sports, greatness is something that athletes aspire to for its own sake; you can be rich, famous, etc. without being great.

If there's one quality above all others in Geno that makes him a great coach, I think it's his ability to show young women the path to greatness. He can't force them all to take it (though he is a master manipulator), but they damn sure know where that path is if they play for him.

Will this team pay the price he wants? I suppose there's only one way to find out...

Reaction Score
Geno never misses an opportunity to let his current players know the deal, he does it with statements as posted by alexgct, he does it through sarcasm/ light hearted insults, such as so and so can't guard a chair, etc. imo this statement was aimed directly at members of the current team.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What Geno is saying is: Some recruits want to come to UConn because of the Championships they can win. When they get to UConn they haven't realized the amount of work that it will require to get the Championships. Some recruits, now players are unwilling to put forth the effort it takes to win Championships.

Reaction Score
Geno's most recent tweet:

Some players want the trappings of greatness but not the pain sacrifice heartache it takes to get it#paytheprice

Wonder if he was thinking about this season's team in particular or whether this was just an instance of "deep thoughts with Geno."

In either case, he is absolutely right. You can be born good, but greatness comes at a steep price, one that not everyone is willing to pay. In sports, greatness is something that athletes aspire to for its own sake; you can be rich, famous, etc. without being great.

If there's one quality above all others in Geno that makes him a great coach, I think it's his ability to show young women the path to greatness. He can't force them all to take it (though he is a master manipulator), but they damn sure know where that path is if they play for him.

Will this team pay the price he wants? I suppose there's only one way to find out...
Geno's quote can apply to motivate this year's team,but it goes much further than the>IMHO<calling out the team. This is Geno's belief and philosophy,and it is why he is the great coach that he is. I am sure other teams over the years have heard what is quoted here. Excellent Post!!!!

Reaction Score
What Geno is saying is: Some recruits want to come to UConn because of the Championships they can win. When they get to UConn they haven't realized the amount of work that it will require to get the Championships. Some recruits, now players are unwilling to put forth the effort it takes to win Championships.
I think he could be talking about the recruits who arrive on campus, assess the work habits required, are unwilling to accept them, and then leave. It is hard to believe that the current players come to practice every day and are allowed to run through the drills at their own pace and not Geno's!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is a line that Geno has used previously. He brings it out to challenge those who simply want to get by solely on their talent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this could be addressed to certain players.

Tiff, while uber talented, does not have an assertive personality. Greatness is within her grasp by being consistently assertive, yet judicious.

Bria does have the assertive personality. Though she is still young, she is clearly on her way. She has no fear.

Stef has said that she wants to be great. After making great strides last year, she seems to have plateaued. Coach wants to get her back on the path.

Kaleena has been marked for greatness for years. She needs to keep it up and not be deferential, despite her youth.

Kiah and Brianna need to dig deeper. Yes, the next level is really tough at UConn, but they didn't go there to be just "good" players on a "good" team. Kiah, in particular, has an opportunity with heather being injured. Brianna needs to be ready in case Caroline struggles. We also need a defender against players like Sims, Diggins, et al.

Reaction Score
It seems that UCONN has another big game right around the corner this season and I cannot wait to see the difference at ND on January 7th.......Hopefully, Geno and staff have figured out how to stop Diggins dribble drive and shoot or dish in the paint........WE just watched her last season........

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno could not have had Babe Ruth in mind. His path to greatness went through many bars and whorehouses, but he got there.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Many years ago I worked with a former Golf Professional who played 9+ years on the PGA tour. He sat me down and asked me what I wanted out of golf. I told him I wanted to play on the PGA Tour. He smiled and said do you know what it takes? "You must pay a huge price, you must pay it in advance, and there are no guarantees." He went on to say you have to hit 300-500 balls a day, play 18-36 holes a day and putt til dark every day, rain sleet or snow and after 4 years you might make it. I was 22 and he said one more thing... take girls out of your vocabulary. He said there will be plenty of time for girls once you make it. Ive never forgot that talk. Ive lived by it and used it many times while working with kids in sports, as well as training sales reps in my Starion Energy business.

Geno needs to make that clear to recruits and his team because the last thing he needs is some kid not willing to pay the price. Everybody needs to be on the same page. He would be wasting his time with them if they werent willing to do what it takes to be a UConn Husky. Sometimes we wonder why kids leave or why kids who we think would be great in the UConn program deceide to go elsewhere. Well one reason might be their willingness to do what it takes, what Geno expects of them.

If you knew the commitment Bria Hartley has made to the game you would understand why she is so good. She just didnt make the commitment when she got here, it started many years ago, working with Jerry Powell and the trainers and coaches in NYC. You see it started along time before she ever came to UConn, thats why shes prepared for what Geno expects of her. Thats why she is who she is and she still continues to work out with them during her vacations.

Being great is not a sometime thing, its an everyday thing.

Reaction Score
Many years ago I worked with a former Golf Professional who played 9+ years on the PGA tour. He sat me down and asked me what I wanted out of golf. I told him I wanted to play on the PGA Tour. He smiled and said do you know what it takes? "You must pay a huge price, you must pay it in advance, and there are no guarantees." He went on to say you have to hit 300-500 balls a day, play 18-36 holes a day and putt til dark every day, rain sleet or snow and after 4 years you might make it. I was 22 and he said one more thing... take girls out of your vocabulary. He said there will be plenty of time for girls once you make it. Ive never forgot that talk. Ive lived by it and used it many times while working with kids in sports, as well as training sales reps in my Starion Energy business.

Geno needs to make that clear to recruits and his team because the last thing he needs is some kid not willing to pay the price. Everybody needs to be on the same page. He would be wasting his time with them if they werent willing to do what it takes to be a UConn Husky. Sometimes we wonder why kids leave or why kids who we think would be great in the UConn program deceide to go elsewhere. Well one reason might be their willingness to do what it takes, what Geno expects of them.

If you knew the commitment Bria Hartley has made to the game you would understand why she is so good. She just didnt make the commitment when she got here, it started many years ago, working with Jerry Powell and the trainers and coaches in NYC. You see it started along time before she ever came to UConn, thats why shes prepared for what Geno expects of her. Thats why she is who she is and she still continues to work out with them during her vacations.

Ok, I buy the Bria hard working. So why is there such a weakness in her dribble (per me anyway), why does she get called for walks and carries so often which she does even when under no pressure (and does it a lot more than she gets called for) ? This is a real question. Why have this hole in your game when its "the basics" of the game and you are working so hard and are a guard? She has 31 turnovers and from remembering games must be mostly walks/carrying/loss of dribble type rather than bad passes. Her 4 turnovers against Baylor were most if not all dribble/carrying type (one was dribbling where Sims took ball away from her).

Reaction Score
Because she was trained by a trainer who works primarily with men. Those "holes" aren't holes to men. That's the way a majority of them dribble.

It's also the way a majority of professional players dribble too. Unless it's obvious, "carrying" really isn't called very often. My guess is she got away with the "obvious" ones in high school.

as for the "walk." Personally, I think she's being unfairly called for a walk. She throws up a really good head fake, and it tends to trick the ref into calling a travel. She's pretty much taken it out of her game this season, which is a shame, because like Charde's twirl to the basket (which wasn't a travel) the head fake wasn't either. (And they let Charde get away with it in the WNBA)

AJ Price (Former Uconn player, who also worked with one of the trainers that Bria has worked with) used to, and still does, make that same move. When he does it, he gets an open shot, or ends up getting fouled. When Bria does it, she's called for the travel.

So essentially, one of her major problems is women's refs. They are technically correct. But players have progressed with basketball, and moves that were once illegal are not any longer. She does silly "not paying attention" things, that are blatant turnovers. But she also gets called for things (such as walks and carry's) that, if the women's refs had progressed along with the game, she wouldn't get called for.

Reaction Score
Being great does not mean being great at every single thing. Maya was a great
shooter, good team defenser,good on the ball defender, great rebounder and she
was a great player.Bria is a great shooter, especially against the really good teams,
a good passer, a much better on the ball defender since her freasman year, great at stealing the ball and I don't think she would be playing point if Caroline was up to snuff.She does lose the ball occasionally but usually when she penetrates and dihes back out.Let's grade her after a few more games, remember how Rene
struggled until her junior year with turnovers.

Reaction Score
I think this could be addressed to certain players.

Tiff, while uber talented, does not have an assertive personality. Greatness is within her grasp by being consistently assertive, yet judicious.

Bria does have the assertive personality. Though she is still young, she is clearly on her way. She has no fear.

Stef has said that she wants to be great. After making great strides last year, she seems to have plateaued. Coach wants to get her back on the path.

Kaleena has been marked for greatness for years. She needs to keep it up and not be deferential, despite her youth.

Kiah and Brianna need to dig deeper. Yes, the next level is really tough at UConn, but they didn't go there to be just "good" players on a "good" team. Kiah, in particular, has an opportunity with heather being injured. Brianna needs to be ready in case Caroline struggles. We also need a defender against players like Sims, Diggins, et al.
Come on Milford lets kick some a**:) You are right it is time to DIG DEEPER:mad:Are we going to be Quote from a famous Coach "6,7,8,9?"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ok, I buy the Bria hard working. So why is there such a weakness in her dribble (per me anyway), why does she get called for walks and carries so often which she does even when under no pressure (and does it a lot more than she gets called for) ? This is a real question. Why have this hole in your game when its "the basics" of the game and you are working so hard and are a guard? She has 31 turnovers and from remembering games must be mostly walks/carrying/loss of dribble type rather than bad passes. Her 4 turnovers against Baylor were most if not all dribble/carrying type (one was dribbling where Sims took ball away from her).

sort of like Maya's huh?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

did you make the PGA Tour?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No. After my first daughter was born I remember hitting balls getting ready for a tournment. I was still an amateur. It was in July and about 8pm. I remember thinking to myself she was getting ready for bed and I needed to give her a kiss good night. I knew at that point, my choice was to be with my family. It turned out to be the right decision for me. I have 3 daughters, all with very good careers. My wife and I have done well. The PGA still sends me invites to help out at the majors which I do when theyre in the area. I still play alot of golf with pros Ive worked with and have no regrets. My priorities have always been God, Family, Work and Play in that order . When ever Im confronted with something I want to do I keep my priorities in the same order. When I look back at it and I see how being a professional golfer has progressed I know I took the right road. If I had been single I wouldve tried it. Its not easy and its very expensive. Remember when I was considering it, there werent any mimi tours. You went out each week to a qualify (called a rabbit) and usually there were a couple of spots available and over 100 qualifying for them. You had to shoot a very low number to get into the field and then had to make the cut to make a paycheck or else you had nothing. So between caddies, food, hotels, travel etc it gets expensive. So thats it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tony gave up the PGA tour for a successful career as a Boneyarder and professional prognosticator. :)

Reaction Score
That's a nice story. I think too often we celebrate people who don't quit - ever. I think it's more important to know what your priorities are, know when the odds are stacked against you, and make a sensible decision.

You sound like one heck of a golf player, though :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just spent time this morning talking to a young couple about life plans and decisions this morning during pre-marital counseling. If you have no plans you will achieve your goals everyday you just won't realize it. But setting a goal and a plan you may miss it on a given day but will always know where you are going and what you are sacrificing to get there and when you need to change course.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just spent time this morning talking to a young couple about life plans and decisions this morning during pre-marital counseling. If you have no plans you will achieve your goals everyday you just won't realize it. But setting a goal and a plan you may miss it on a given day but will always know where you are going and what you are sacrificing to get there and when you need to change course.
Coach Wooden: If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom