Geno on Recruiting | The Boneyard

Geno on Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I thought this might be worthy of its own thread. In the SNY all access video, Geno talked about recruiting. I am going from memory here, so might not be exactly correct. Geno said he targets recruits that will be able to play right away. At UConn, they don't have time to develop over three years. So, when the targets don't work out, for one reason or another, he is left with a small class. He said it doesn't make sense to bring in a lesser recruit, who will not be able to play right away. I think I got that right, feel free to correct me if I'm misrembering.

1. Which Geno targets last year did not work out? I believe DeShields was one of them. Any bigs?

2. It looks like Geno is "all in" with Wilson. If she doesn't come, then no bigs for next year. Which would make next year's recruiting more critical.

I think that, in the past, Geno has accepted lesser quality players, and most of them have left after one or two years. So, does this represent a change in philosophy?

Comments welcome.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
If we don't get Wilson and there are many contrary rumors going around that she will stay in SC and others saying its between UConn and SC. There are also rumors that she has some friends on the USC team that are working on her to come to USC and other rumors that she talks to her good friend Breanna Stewart and wants to play like Breanna. Well imo if she wants to play like Breanna she should play with her, but that's only my thought and she will make up her own mind. If she doesn't come to UConn I'm sure there are kids and a lot of big's in following years class that would want to come to UConn and some who would want to play with Wilson if she does come to UConn. I keep repeating myself. UConn attracts players and some will come and some won't based on what they want and we have no control over that.

With the new rules the game has changed. Teams need players who can handle the ball and that's why imo teams will have many more guards who can go inside and play outside. The need for a big to play the middle is not what it used to be. Bigs like Breanna and Morgan are whats needed. Sticking a player in the middle just because shes tall only takes up space. Because of the foul rules now and the way games are being called there is more of a need to have players who can dribble drive and get the big girls in foul trouble. The need to have a player like Wilson who from what I've read plays like Breanna is that she can play inside outside and play help defense when needed underneath and block shots . At UConn they would both compliment each other and Wilson could learn hands on from Breanna.

Reaction Score
I thought this might be worthy of its own thread. In the SNY all access video, Geno talked about recruiting. I am going from memory here, so might not be exactly correct. Geno said he targets recruits that will be able to play right away. At UConn, they don't have time to develop over three years. So, when the targets don't work out, for one reason or another, he is left with a small class. He said it doesn't make sense to bring in a lesser recruit, who will not be able to play right away. I think I got that right, feel free to correct me if I'm misrembering.

1. Which Geno targets last year did not work out? I believe DeShields was one of them. Any bigs?

2. It looks like Geno is "all in" with Wilson. If she doesn't come, then no bigs for next year. Which would make next year's recruiting more critical.

I think that, in the past, Geno has accepted lesser quality players, and most of them have left after one or two years. So, does this represent a change in philosophy?

Comments welcome.

Geno is absolutely right; what is the point in recruiting players that are only going to play in blowouts? The lone recruit playing this year is an immediate impact player.

Reaction Score
Geno can afford to recruit only players that will make an impact right away. Other coaches may recruit that way too, but the level of talent they recruit is not as high or they may lose out on the highly ranked recruits to UConn or other programs and have to settle for players with potential to be able to field a team.
Geno has a couple of walk-ons this year due to your short bench. Most teams with a short bench are in real trouble if there are injuries to key players. UConn is fortunate that their talent level is so high that they can win without two key players. Chong is proving to be an impact player for you, but she wouldn't need to be if KML and Tuck weren't hurt and Banks wasn't less than 100%. Even Stewart wasn't needed to become the impact player she is until late in her Freshman season. IMO, freshman need time to adjust to college level play and learn their coach's system. RU has a freshman this year that I believe will be an impact player for us, but she still needs to learn how to play with her teammates within the system.

Reaction Score
I think that, in the past, Geno has accepted lesser quality players, and most of them have left after one or two years. So, does this represent a change in philosophy

Not a change in philosophy because he has said the same thing for at least a decade now, certainly since the lost class freshman class of 2003 that all transferred out. There is still always a tension though between getting the right players and getting enough players. And I don't think he's necessarily talking about the most recent transfers. I don't think he thought he was taking less talented players when he signed the Hartley/Dolson class.

Jim

Reaction Score
If we don't get Wilson and there are many contrary rumors going around that she will stay in SC and others saying its between UConn and SC. There are also rumors that she has some friends on the USC team that are working on her to come to USC and other rumors that she talks to her good friend Breanna Stewart and wants to play like Breanna. Well imo if she wants to play like Breanna she should play with her, but that's only my thought and she will make up her own mind. If she doesn't come to UConn I'm sure there are kids and a lot of big's in following years class that would want to come to UConn and some who would want to play with Wilson if she does come to UConn. I keep repeating myself. UConn attracts players and some will come and some won't based on what they want and we have no control over that.
You mention Wilson talks to her good friend Breanna Stewart. I wonder how much CD's ban on social media during the season hurts in this regard. Kids nowadays tweet/text/FB each other so much. If Wilson's friends at USC don't have a similar restriction, does that hurt UCONN's chances to recruit her?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Comments welcome.
Re Aja and other bigs- I think there is a 6'5" or 6'" big they/we are heavily recruiting for the the following year. She would step in after Stokes leaves, and be our starting freshman center, without Aja and Stokes gone I presume. She would be young but surrounded by alot of talent. And you know what- Tuck could move into our 5 spot in 2 seconds and we don't miss a beat--- providing she stays relatively healthy. We can win a National Championship with her underneath on defense- no problem. And she can post up, shoot from the outside and beat any big off the dribble!!! That would be our other option!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
You mention Wilson talks to her good friend Breanna Stewart. I wonder how much CD's ban on social media during the season hurts in this regard. Kids nowadays tweet/text/FB each other so much. If Wilson's friends at USC don't have a similar restriction, does that hurt UCONN's chances to recruit her?
That is a really really good point- great thought- not endorsing changing our policy- but could be a negative their.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I think there is a little simplification involved - a player like Gardler may not 'be recruited' by Uconn, but she may get a scholarship if she pursues one. If a player has the right personality, drive, and reasonable skill I don't think Geno would ignore them - he just will not have 'recruited them' but if they recruit themselves they will be evaluated and possibly offered.
I - I don't think it is a change of philosophy but as the skill of the players on the team has improved and his prospects of landing similarly skilled players has improved he has raised the lower bar of skill he looks for.
Tony - I disagree that the rules changes have changed the dynamics of players on the court - the best teams will still have skilled post players who can defend and block shots and who can shoot 60% for the season because they take most of their shots within 8' of the basket. The best guards usually are shooting 45-50% from the field so have posts at 60% is still going to be a winning strategy. The Lauren Jackson, EDD, Stewart model is great for tall players but there are just not enough of those players in the world to satisfy a hand full of teams. And having any one of them except maybe Lauren defend a Sylvia Fowles is not going to be pretty.
I keep hearing announcers saying some guard or wing needs to attack down low because of the new rules changes - and I keep seeing them get their shots blocked and not many extra fouls called. The foul calls are for the reach ins and the off ball bumping and holding and not much on contested shots at the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom