Geno, on Paige | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno, on Paige

Reaction Score
You can do analytics to make any point you want. Not making a fuss but Caitlin will be the only one of that list to have led a team to defeat Carolina. To do that, she is the best in overall in college basketball.

Reaction Score
You can do analytics to make any point you want. Not making a fuss but Caitlin will be the only one of that list to have led a team to defeat Carolina. To do that, she is the best in overall in college basketball.
Give it a rest. You will use any reason to support your thesis. You have CC#1 and some of us have Paige#1. Both can be right.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

That was last year if I'm not mistaken. The post in question covers the first two rounds of this year's tournament.

Reaction Score
Once upon a time, I heard that Paige and Caitlin were friends, and they may still be. They’re rivals when representing their individual schools, but become besties when they represent the USA. I admire what Caitlin has done, and is doing for her team, and I’m in awe of Paige as she carries her depleted team to the S16. As fans, many factors cause us to have our favorite player(s), and that is perfectly fine. But at the end of the day, I believe that there’s enough basketball games for these two players to exist simultaneously. All the best to everyone. Go Huskies! Go UConn!!

Reaction Score
I am very fond of Geno, but Paige is not the best player in America. He's starting to revert back to his old tricks like he did when jabbing Pat Summitt...He's trying to start a fuss as we say down south....

Caitlin #1, Paige #2, Brink #3, Cardoso #4......IMO

I'm going to throw a little jab myself in here for kicks and giggles... Paige + Brink + Cardoso put together will not generate the TV views that Caitlin will alone.

I'm hoping for a final 4 of Carolina, IOWA, UCONN and Texas....
Yeah- TV views don’t mean you’re the best player and there’s no way in h*** that Cardoso is the fourth best player in the country! The question of who is better between Clark and Paige is dependent on the criteria one uses to make the comparison. As for Geno wanting to start a fuss, I‘m not seeing the point? Surely, it’s fairly clear that there’s a legitimate argument to be made that he is correct just as there is one that says Clark is the best. The comparison is similar in some respects to that between Bird’s Celtics and Magic’s Lakers in the 80s. Do you like the flashy offensive production of Clark or the cool efficiency of Bueckers? I happen to be a Bird man but I can still acknowledge the undeniable brilliance of Magic as well. There again, the criteria used in making the decision is everything. Magic won more titles but was he the better player? Not for me, but I can certainly concede that others see it differently. The point is that most fair minded people would agree that neither claim is out of line.

Now, as then, let’s be thankful that the game we enjoy is soaring to heights we’ve never seen before and clearly, clearly, Clark is certainly number one in terms of being the primary catalyst for this unprecedented surge of popularity that has overtaken the women’s game! The exciting thing here though, the thing that makes her influence less likely to be a flash in the pan, is that she has made her magic at a time where there are several other transcendant players who show every sign of being able to keep this ball rolling even after she heads to the WNBA! JuJu especially, if she wants it, looks to have the potential to take the handoff from Clark and push this wave even farther! Plus, she’s got Paige and Hidalgo to back her up along with a veritable flood of potential stars coming down the pike in the next few years. What is the saying; “a rising tide lifts all boats”? This is a special and important time for women’s college basketball!

Reaction Score
Not true. Paige beat SC her freshman year. It was mid season, but it was in some ways more impressive for how she engineered it.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I guess you are forgetting Paige's Freshman year where she out scored SC in overtime and put a dagger in their back with the last second shot clock 3 pointer.

Reaction Score
Yeah- TV views don’t mean you’re the best player and there’s no way in h*** that Cardoso is the fourth best player in the country! The question of who is better between Clark and Paige is dependent on the criteria one uses to make the comparison. As for Geno wanting to start a fuss, I‘m not seeing the point? Surely, it’s fairly clear that there’s a legitimate argument to be made that he is correct just as there is one that says Clark is the best. The comparison is similar in some respects to that between Bird’s Celtics and Magic’s Lakers in the 80s. Do you like the flashy offensive production of Clark or the cool efficiency of Bueckers? I happen to be a Bird man but I can still acknowledge the undeniable brilliance of Magic as well. There again, the criteria used in making the decision is everything. Magic won more titles but was he the better player? Not for me, but I can certainly concede that others see it differently. The point is that most fair minded people would agree that neither claim is out of line.

Now, as then, let’s be thankful that the game we enjoy is soaring to heights we’ve never seen before and clearly, clearly, Clark is certainly number one in terms of being the primary catalyst for this unprecedented surge of popularity that has overtaken the women’s game! The exciting thing here though, the thing that makes her influence less likely to be a flash in the pan, is that she has made her magic at a time where there are several other transcendant players who show every sign of being able to keep this ball rolling even after she heads to the WNBA! JuJu especially, if she wants it, looks to have the potential to take the handoff from Clark and push this wave even farther! Plus, she’s got Paige and Hidalgo to back her up along with a veritable flood of potential stars coming down the pike in the next few years. What is the saying; “a rising tide lifts all boats”? This is a special and important time for women’s college basketball!
The Bird/Magic comparison is very apt here. It's often been said that that rivalry saved the NBA, and I think it's obvious that the Paige/Clark comparison is helping elevate women's basketball to levels not seen before, and will hopefully grow from further. It's not who is actually better that drives the sport, it's the fun of the debate that makes the difference. You can't debate who scored the most points, but you can debate things like who had the greater influence on the game during their time, Kareem or Wilt. Absolutes are no fun, it's the abstracts that create the buzz that brings in the viewers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom