Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv | The Boneyard

Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv

Reaction Score
Geno on roster

(Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed.)

Notice has been served:

“I think Aaliyah made incredible progress from day one,” Auriemma said. “She’s really physical, she plays hard every possession, she competes for everything, she did a great job finishing around the basket, she offensive rebounded, which was crucial for us, and she defended. I could see her next year getting the bulk of the touches among all of the post players. I have incredibly high expectations for Aaliyah, and for where she's going in the future.

"And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv. If Liv adds some things to her game and makes the adjustments she needs to make, she's going to be a big factor and we're going to be fine.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
"And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv. If Liv adds some things to her game and makes the adjustments she needs to make, she's going to be a big factor and we're going to be fine.
Any thoughts of whether this conversation has already happened between both of them during an end of season goals setting, and he's just stating that fact publicly?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hadn't seen it before. Good overview and of course he just complicated the picture more by accepting a transfer forward for next year!

And I really like the paragraph about deciding who to play and putting it back on the players - they make those choices, not the coaches.

I remember Gabby's reaction after being glued to the bench in the Stanford loss - she said in paraphrase 'I realized I hadn't given coach a reason to play me, and I never wanted that to be the case again.' She accepted the responsibility for the situation, and vowed to make changes in herself.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great article indeed. This was a great end to the article:

Auriemma toyed with the idea of extending the Huskies’ style of play during the season, going more full court, but decided against it. Westbrook, who announced after the Final Four that she will return for her final season of eligibility, wasn’t 100 percent for much of the season after missing the summer while recovering from knee surgery. Also, Anna Makurat, the sophomore guard who has announced plans to transfer, missed 13 games with a stress fracture in her leg.

“Next year,” Auriemma said. “I won't have that problem. I hope. We're going to have an opportunity to play differently
.”

So he's already planning a more active and intense defense starting when the opponents inbound the ball. That will be so fun to watch.

And in a way, gauntlet thrown for Liv. Add to her game and fix the thing she needs to fix. To me that means a baby hook. and continue to work on getting stronger. Not sure what Geno means, but I have no doubt he discussed it with Liv.

Add in Juhasz as a post player and Liv may well be pushed out. No more missed bunnies and scoring 5 points in a game. Produce, or someone else will replace you. Can Liv do it? Absolutely. Will she? We will see!!

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think Liv will lose her starting role (could be wrong), but I do think if she doesn’t fix the things he’s talking about her minutes will be significantly reduced. I think he won’t give her as many chances in game and will just pull her instead.

Reaction Score
I think Liv was most productive when she played aggressive for like 19-22 minutes. When she had to bang around in big games for 30+ minutes, the production went down. I think Dorka will allow the post players to be more aggressive in less minutes. Forwards and guards aren't the same. You never want your C to have to play 30+ minutes because that forces them to conserve energy/fouls and not play aggressively. The energy needed to fight for position is just greater than the running around guards do.

Reaction Score
It sounds like as of today, Ono will be coming off the bench.
I don't necessarily perceive it that way. I think Geno knows Aaliyah is a big part of the future success of the program, and when he has the ability, he prefers to play two bigs. So she is now a starter in my book.

Our backcourt of Bueckers & Williams is a virtual lock. And Evina at the 3 seems like a lock.
I'd expect Aaliyah to be a at the 4, and Geno will likely go with Olivia at the 5. She knows the Uconn system far better than any of the alternatives.

But she will be on a very short leash. He has a talented transfer and a top 5 recruit ready to compete in the post. Also, has the ability to go small with some talented guards (Muhl & Fudd). In the past, he lacked the personnel to sub for players who were under performing. On paper, that shouldn't be an issue next year.

Reaction Score
I honestly don’t think Liv will lose her starting role (could be wrong), but I do think if she doesn’t fix the things he’s talking about her minutes will be significantly reduced. I think he won’t give her as many chances in game and will just pull her instead.
Liv is a quality player, but I doubt Juhasz chose to come to UCONN to be a reserve. AE has earned her time and Paige is a no brainer. Regardless of who else starts (I imagine CW and either Evina or Nike), I can easily see an 8-9 player rotation of players worthy of starting...and a very strong bench. Good problem to have.

Reaction Score
Liv is a quality player, but I doubt Juhasz chose to come to UCONN to be a reserve. AE has earned her time and Paige is a no brainer. Regardless of who else starts (I imagine CW and either Evina or Nike), I can easily see an 8-9 player rotation of players worthy of starting...and a very strong bench. Good problem to have.
As long as Geno can fit an 8 or 9 player rotation into 4 spots. Paige isn’t coming off the floor and if Azzi is as good as advertised she won’t be coming off the floor either. So maybe 3 spot for playing time.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts of whether this conversation has already happened between both of them during an end of season goals setting, and he's just stating that fact publicly?
I'd bet money that she was made well aware of her situation prior to that article coming out. And it wouldn't surprise me if it took place after last season also.

Reaction Score
Hadn't seen it before. Good overview and of course he just complicated the picture more by accepting a transfer forward for next year!

And I really like the paragraph about deciding who to play and putting it back on the players - they make those choices, not the coaches.

I remember Gabby's reaction after being glued to the bench in the Stanford loss - she said in paraphrase 'I realized I hadn't given coach a reason to play me, and I never wanted that to be the case again.' She accepted the responsibility for the situation, and vowed to make changes in herself.
Agree with your points although I don't believe he complicated the picture, I think he improved it. IMO, a good chunk of ONO's problems both last year and this was the lack of competition for her PT and having nobody else to provide her interior defense.

Reaction Score
Everyone wants Olivia to be great. Is Olivia willing to put in the work to be great?

Reaction Score
Agree with your points although I don't believe he complicated the picture, I think he improved it. IMO, a good chunk of ONO's problems both last year and this was the lack of competition for her PT and having nobody else to provide her interior defense.
Practice against Aaliyah wasn't challenging? Yes, I know it's practice, AI.

Reaction Score
Practice against Aaliyah wasn't challenging? Yes, I know it's practice, AI.
Maybe somewhat physically but OTOH not really. Because of AE's inexperience the only challenge to ONO's PT was foul trouble. AE simply couldn't provide the interior defense that ONO could, at least not yet. GA needed more than one freshman forward to push ONO to improve her overall game not just this year but last year as well. And now he has the other experienced big body he's needed for a couple years.

Reaction Score
That is the enigma wrapped inside the riddle that I've been wondering about for over 2 years now.
I hate to say it, but this has been a topic now for 3 years, with no substantial improvement in many areas of her game. Yes her footwork has improved, but her 'step back jumper' used to be deadly. Now? Its 50 - 50 or less. IMO she still has weak hands and gets the ball knocked away too much, especially since she continues keeping the ball low! At 6'5" she should not miss bunnies! Keep the ball high and jump! One more thing. Liv does not "run" down the court............she 'jogs' every time. That means you're late getting down court, where you just might get a pass from PB to make a lay up.

Reaction Score
AAAAnd --> After explaining why he didn't play full court, "Next year,” Auriemma said. “I won't have that problem. I hope. We're going to have an opportunity to play differently.”
This is very very encouraging for the prospect of expanding the rotation and utilizing a great bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom