Geno on minutes and early impression of the team | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on minutes and early impression of the team

Reaction Score
Gotta say that all this playing time arguing seems like navel gazing to me. There are minutes and then there are minutes and then there are minutes:
1. minutes in close games
2. garbage minutes, where Geno may or may not want to keep the MOV reasonable (depends on who the opposing coach is, etc)
3. minutes where Geno is readying the team for a big game or the tournament.

And then there are the variables, pointed out above, such as injuries. And Geno has already said that he doesn't know yet who the 5th starter is because it will affect the whole team's dynamics and that maybe he'll adjust the team to meet the opponent.

Can't we all agree that the top 6 will get lots of playing time? What is more interesting to me is who are the 7th and 8th: Does Batouly present a very workable big on the boards and does Megan work her way through her other talented freshmen and get some meaningful playing time? We won't know the answers to these questions until late winter, but that seems to me to be part of laying the foundation for the following years.

Thank you......sanity at last.

Reaction Score
I am with those who think that Geno is playing mind games, and that Azura will be in the starting lineup, though the others, including Dangerfield will see significant minutes. We all know that last year's team had two major deficiencies.... depth and height in the post. To compensate for the height deficiency, Gabby and Pheesa were deployed in the paint to guard bigger, stronger players. Though they performed admirably during the season, they were badly exposed in the Mississippi State game . Fast forward to this year's team, and Geno is now oozing with depth and a very intriguing height in Azura to offset the deficiencies from last year. Why would he put a starting five on the court that would even be shorter (height-wise) than last year's team (replacing Saniya at 5'8" with Dangerfield at 5'5"-ish)? Don't you think that Morgan Williams' buzzer beater would have been a little more difficult to make over the outstretched arm of a 6'6" Azura than the 5'11" Gabby (no offense to Gabby's leaping ability). Also, why would he again expose Gabby to bigger, stronger players in the paint knowing very well that she will not play that position at the next level, and this is the last opportunity for her to work on the skills that she will need, all the while having a 6'6" "center", albeit not Stewie-like defensively, sitting on the bench. Not only does this not make sense to me, it would be utterly unfair to Gabby, who will then be required to play out of position in her senior year. If there is anything that we can all agree on, it is that UCONN prepares its players for the next level. And there is no way in Heaven for Geno to think that playing Gabby at Center in her senior year and not allowing her to work on her outside game and ball handling skills is going to prepare her for the next level. Now, regarding Azura's reported defensive shortcomings, we all know that UCONN's defensive philosophy rest on communication, switching, covering for one another, etc. In other words, the players work in unison. Granted a player who is slow afoot or out of position affects the defensive cohesion (ala Azura if the reports of her shortcomings are true), but that has not affected the team's ability to defend well in the past. In fact I would say that last year's team had players who had individual defensive shortcomings (e.g., Saniya & KLS - though they were much improved over previous years, and Dangerfield, who I think we can agree was not "there" defensively), but they defended well because they worked as a unit and covered for one another.

First, the team lost 1 game last year by a bucket!

Second, they won the amount of games they did due to the defense they played throughout the year.

Third, Saniya and KLS were great, including defensively, including the Miss Sta game. Crystal has been doing really well so if Geno thinks she should be the one that earns the starting position, it will be so.

Fourth, Geno will play who he thinks in order to get the win and prepare just like last year. He did a pretty good job and has being doing it for how many years?

Reaction Score
Geno has played a deep bench when players are deserving, lack of dept did hurt the team at times last season, so with the 2 transfers and four freshmen, I think there will be a minutes for everyone who is playing well. Collier and Lou will probably lead the team in minutes followed by Gabby.

On the topic of Geno saying Z isn't where he needs her to be defensively, I think its more so defending the rim then anything else. Z has always played next to another post with size at Duke, so being asked to guard bigger bodies, could be a challenge for her right now. Also noted she isn't listed as a Center on the roster but a F/G, that's why Gabby will probably start most games at center again this year.

Reaction Score
First, the team lost 1 game last year by a bucket!
Geno will tell you that he was surprised at that. I know I was, considering the competition, and what the team had to work with at the start of the season. Playing 6'2" and/or 5'11" "Centers" against the likes of Baylor, Texas, Maryland, etc., and winning those games said a lot about the UNCONN system and the grits of our players. But eventually, the law of averages regarding the physical mismatches catches up, ala Mississippi State.
Second, they won the amount of games they did due to the defense they played throughout the year.
...despite they all not being stellar individual defenders, thus reaffirming my point!
Third, Saniya and KLS were great, including defensively, including the Miss Sta game. Crystal has been doing really well so if Geno thinks she should be the one that earns the starting position, it will be so.
My only exception would be the first part of your statement. I think even those players will disagree that they "were great" defensively. Crystal has improved tremendously from last year, according to reports we are getting, including from Geno himself.
Fourth, Geno will play who he thinks in order to get the win and prepare just like last year. He did a pretty good job and has being doing it for how many years?
No one is disputing that. My opinion is that Geno will rather have a 6'6" player to balance his lineup than going even shorter (when he does not have to). Especially after he, on several occasions alluded to the lack of depth and height resulting in his players getting exhausted and banged up towards the end of the season. I just personally think he is unlikely (and it will be unfair) to play Gabby in the post again this year, with a capable post player on the bench. As they say in basketball, you can not teach height.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There are too many permutations, or is that the variables thing everyone is talking about? I think @JoePgh might be on to something.
Gabby will lead this team in minutes because she is the most indispensable to both the UCONN offense and Defense followed very closely by KLS.
It is beginning to look like Crystal will start joining the four starters from last year.
From there it's pretty straight forward IMO.
Azura will be first off the bench to replace Napheesa and Napheesa will rotate back into the game to spell Gabby.
Megan walker will rotate in to replace Kia Nurse when Kia is ready to return to the game she will replace Crystal at the point.
KLS is going to need a breather at some point so that sub is either going to be Kia or Megan. That is your rotation for meaningful games folks =7 Players with Geno having at least 4 starters in the game at all times.
Now since UCONN only has 8 or so meaningful games there still plenty of opportunity to pick up minutes for players that become trusted. If and when Batouly becomes trusted there should be so meaningful minutes for her in the post joining the Gabby, Napheesa and Azura rotation at the 4/5. Not to look too far ahead but it is critical that Batouly become trusted "this year" because she might be the starting 5 for UCONN next year. Because of the recruiting posture ( likely no Point Guard in 2018 ) the next position/role worth investing minutes in is the backup PG. That would mean no backup PG until Crystal is a Senior at the earliest. Saniya Chong got 17 MPG in that role as a freshmen (Brianna Banks got 14 that same season) and 19 MPG as a Sophomore was injured as a Junior and was able to start as a senior. I betting that Mikayla Coombs will become trusted in that role. My last point is that I don't these Kids come to UCONN expecting to start or a certain amount of minutes, defining and carving out a role and executing that role to the best of their ability is always the focus. I don't know, for example, how many minutes Molly is going to get but If her role was putting pressure on the ball and speeding the other team up for a few possessions every game up I'm sure that Geno could find a way to use that.

Reaction Score
Kyla can be so good. Please don't sleep on her.
Molly. Please.

I think Lexi is going to be solid. Maybe not a ton of PT early for obvious reasons but she's going to be a player.

This is in response to the Molly. Please. Not sure of your intent but Molly is considered a player with an outstanding work ethic and I think she came to Uconn to be part of a fantastic tradition, she should be embraced for those alone, and especially without knowing what this year will bring.

Reaction Score
This is in response to the Molly. Please. Not sure of your intent but Molly is considered a player with an outstanding work ethic and I think she came to Uconn to be part of a fantastic tradition, she should be embraced for those alone, and especially without knowing what this year will bring.

Please refers too I don't think she is going to get meaningful minutes and I don't think she's a very good player. I think she's a very smart and wonderful person and clearly I rather be wrong and hope she's becomes an all American or reliable solid contributor.

Why do I think this?

A. From what I saw out of her last year. Can she greatly improve sure. Hope so.

B. The talent that returned from last year and incoming talent. I assume returning starters and bench will improve. I also think some of the incoming freshman are more talented than she is.

It would be disingenuous of me to respond to the post and say " ah there all going to be great". That's just not reality all the time. I think Irwin can be fantastic and I'm very high on Lexi. I don't see it from Molly on the court. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Reaction Score
Gotta say that all this playing time arguing seems like navel gazing to me. There are minutes and then there are minutes and then there are minutes:
2. garbage minutes, where Geno may or may not want to keep the MOV reasonable (depends on who the opposing coach is, etc)

And then there are the variables, pointed out above, such as injuries. And Geno has already said that he doesn't know yet who the 5th starter is because it will affect the whole team's dynamics and that maybe he'll adjust the team to meet the opponent.

Can't we all agree that the top 6 will get lots of playing time? What is more interesting to me is who are the 7th and 8th: Does Batouly present a very workable big on the boards and does Megan work her way through her other talented freshmen and get some meaningful playing time? We won't know the answers to these questions until late winter, but that seems to me to be part of laying the foundation for the following years.

Great post. 100% agree.

Reaction Score
Last season 5 players averaged 29+ minutes per game. I predict this season that no one averages 30 minutes per game.

The reasoning is UConn is much deeper, so the "starters" know they can play more aggressive and committing fouls will not be as "bad" as they were last season.

Reaction Score
We have heard before how being in practice doesn't really get you there, but I honestly don't get it.
A lot of space between those lines spoken by Geno; Innskeeper, voice my thoughts: how can Z play for a full practice season without learning a lot. If my magnifier is correct in line space looking, I'd say Geno's message to Z your practicing and defensive effort are not where they should be and Danger's efforts are. However, Geno would be near brain dead not to use the skill and season potential of Z.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Last season 5 players averaged 29+ minutes per game. I predict this season that no one averages 30 minutes per game.

The reasoning is UConn is much deeper, so the "starters" know they can play more aggressive and committing fouls will not be as "bad" as they were last season.
To Geno and CD, committing fouls is always bad. However, committing fouls should not hurt as much this season as far as hurting the talent on the floor at any particular time.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A lot of space between those lines spoken by Geno; Innskeeper, voice my thoughts: how can Z play for a full practice season without learning a lot. If my magnifier is correct in line space looking, I'd say Geno's message to Z your practicing and defensive effort are not where they should be and Danger's efforts are. However, Geno would be near brain dead not to use the skill and season potential of Z.

“The minutes part is going to be a little bit dicey,” Auriemma said, “One of the good things is that … everything is up for grabs. Let’s see how it goes. Obviously, [Stevens] is going to get a lot of minutes, but then everybody else is competing. If you deserve it, you’ll get it. If you don’t deserve it, you won’t get it.”

UConn Insider: Geno Auriemma Says Dividing Minutes Will Be 'Dicey' But So Far, So Good

Reaction Score
Please refers too I don't think she is going to get meaningful minutes and I don't think she's a very good player. I think she's a very smart and wonderful person and clearly I rather be wrong and hope she's becomes an all American or reliable solid contributor.

Why do I think this?

A. From what I saw out of her last year. Can she greatly improve sure. Hope so.

B. The talent that returned from last year and incoming talent. I assume returning starters and bench will improve. I also think some of the incoming freshman are more talented than she is.

It would be disingenuous of me to respond to the post and say " ah there all going to be great". That's just not reality all the time. I think Irwin can be fantastic and I'm very high on Lexi. I don't see it from Molly on the court. It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.
I hear what you're saying about Molly and can understand your opinion based on her performance last year. I don't think anyone doubts her work ethics and for whatever reason, the effort she put in during practice didn't translate on game day (nerves? intimidated by all the all stars?). I hope she can turn things around and get significant minutes. Maybe even transform herself to be a Kelly Faris clone this year.

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying about Molly and can understand your opinion based on her performance last year. I don't think anyone doubts her work ethics and for whatever reason, the effort she put in during practice didn't translate on game day (nerves? intimidated by all the all stars?). I hope she can turn things around and get significant minutes. Maybe even transform herself to be a Kelly Faris clone this year.

Sounds good too me I root for her just like all the girls.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Bags, what you say is true. Please understand that since the season ended (with the exception of Collier's defection), there hasn't been a lot of "meat" for us to sink our teeth into. We've been dining on a steady diet of vegetables and soy products. We have to have something to talk and speculate about, or we risk losing our psychological and analytical edge to atrophy.

Good news...................come Wednesday evening after the Fort Hays State game, we'll have a myriad of things to talk about and debate. Right now, most of us are going stir crazy waiting for play to begin. Just 6 more days, then the "meat" wagons show up at the loading dock. :cool: Bon appetit.

Reaction Score
Collier, 32
Williams, 32 mpg
G-Samuelson, 28 mpg
G-Dangerfield, 30 mpg
G-Nurse, 34 mpg
Bench:
Stevens, 24 mpg
Walker, 10 mpg
Everyone else, 10

This is absolutely ridiculous! If UCONN is as good as we all think, then none of the starters are going to average more than 30 mpg. Nurse getting 34 mpg is a total joke!

Reaction Score
There are too many permutations, or is that the variables thing everyone is talking about? I think @JoePgh might be on to something.
Gabby will lead this team in minutes because she is the most indispensable to both the UCONN offense and Defense followed very closely by KLS.
It is beginning to look like Crystal will start joining the four starters from last year.
From there it's pretty straight forward IMO.
Azura will be first off the bench to replace Napheesa and Napheesa will rotate back into the game to spell Gabby.
Megan walker will rotate in to replace Kia Nurse when Kia is ready to return to the game she will replace Crystal at the point.
KLS is going to need a breather at some point so that sub is either going to be Kia or Megan. That is your rotation for meaningful games folks =7 Players with Geno having at least 4 starters in the game at all times.
Now since UCONN only has 8 or so meaningful games there still plenty of opportunity to pick up minutes for players that become trusted. If and when Batouly becomes trusted there should be so meaningful minutes for her in the post joining the Gabby, Napheesa and Azura rotation at the 4/5. Not to look too far ahead but it is critical that Batouly become trusted "this year" because she might be the starting 5 for UCONN next year. Because of the recruiting posture ( likely no Point Guard in 2018 ) the next position/role worth investing minutes in is the backup PG. That would mean no backup PG until Crystal is a Senior at the earliest. Saniya Chong got 17 MPG in that role as a freshmen (Brianna Banks got 14 that same season) and 19 MPG as a Sophomore was injured as a Junior and was able to start as a senior. I betting that Mikayla Coombs will become trusted in that role. My last point is that I don't these Kids come to UCONN expecting to start or a certain amount of minutes, defining and carving out a role and executing that role to the best of their ability is always the focus. I don't know, for example, how many minutes Molly is going to get but If her role was putting pressure on the ball and speeding the other team up for a few possessions every game up I'm sure that Geno could find a way to use that.
While the rotation of players in and out is subject to what Geno sees or feels---your rotation is as good as anyone on the BY. Also, the truism of those games not viewed as huge, shall be great training events. Also, your assessment of SOME kids come to UConn not expecting to start is true for SOME. I am fairly sure SOME come expecting to start as a Soph---Expectations and reality the Uconn type of kid can handle the reality. Other use ROTATION to mean rotate out.
I hope your betting on Touly and Molly becomes a reality. Both deserve a break.
I'm pretty sure the AAC type of games will peel away the layers and show who will be in what number off the bench.

Reaction Score
This is absolutely ridiculous! If UCONN is as good as we all think, then none of the starters are going to average more than 30 mpg. Nurse getting 34 mpg is a total joke!

Reread the thread.
Those are minutes IN KEY GAMES.

Reaction Score
I quoted your entire comment and nowhere in it says anything about "in key games."

Again, read the thread.
The discussion of minutes came from this, which I was clearly responding to:

So what do people think the lineup and minutes breakdown will be in more competitive games?

Reaction Score
Again, read the thread.
The discussion of minutes came from this, which I was clearly responding to:

WRONG! Your comment was simply one posted to the thread, which by the way had absolutely nothing to do with minutes in key games. It was NOT in reply to anyone! Perhaps you should follow your own suggestion to me ... REREAD what you actually posted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom