Geno on minutes and early impression of the team | The Boneyard

Geno on minutes and early impression of the team

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“The minutes part is going to be a little bit dicey,” Auriemma said, “One of the good things is that … everything is up for grabs. Let’s see how it goes. Obviously, [Stevens] is going to get a lot of minutes, but then everybody else is competing. If you deserve it, you’ll get it. If you don’t deserve it, you won’t get it.”

Camara recently bruised her knee, Auriemma said, and will miss some practice this week.

Auriemma also said Stevens is still adjusting to the program’s defensive demands. At 6-6, Stevens could be shot-blocking presence in the paint, but she is still making the transition from practice player last year.

“It’s going to take her a little bit of time to get caught up,” Auriemma said.

Stevens figured to slide into the starting lineup as Chong’s replacement, adding size to a team that was forced to use the 5-11 Williams at the post. But the most impressive player all summer and into the fall is Dangerfield, who struggled at times during her freshman season.

“Crystal is like a different person,” Auriemma said. “Night and day, 180 [degrees] from last year at this time. She’s playing with a lot of confidence, just doing a lot of things that she didn’t do before. She’s aggressive, she’s trying to take a little bit of control over what’s going on. Pretty good so far.”

UConn Insider: Geno Auriemma Says Dividing Minutes Will Be 'Dicey' But So Far, So Good

Reaction Score
We have heard before how being in practice doesn't really get you there, but I honestly don't get it.

I guess I'm as clueless. How do you run with a team for a season and not be 'there'. I get that practice is not game minutes, but this is an elite player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I guess I'm as clueless. How do you run with a team for a season and not be 'there'. I get that practice is not game minutes, but this is an elite player.
I would guess he means in UConn's world. She is likely already there by the standards of the rest of WCBB. I wonder if he is making this team guard 4 on 5 yet? She might not be there in that respect.

Reaction Score
We have heard before how being in practice doesn't really get you there, but I honestly don't get it.

she's an elite offensive player............the rest is to be determined........Geno isn't satisfied with players that trade baskets on defense.............she's going to get there defensively or only get minutes coming off of the bench when he needs some points

Reaction Score

We have no idea how much practice time Stevens spent playing with the players in the game rotation. My guess is she spent a lot of scrimmage time playing on the scout team. On a team like UConn that relies on pinpoint passes and anticipating your teammates' next 2 moves on both offense and defense you don't become adept at it just from drills. I expect to see Stevens make mistakes, especially on defense, for quite a while.

Reaction Score

You mean you don't get the comment coming from the guy who frequently says he has the worst post players in america? Or the one that benched Stewie and Tuck because of body language or something like that just 1 game before playing USC? Geno is just being Geno. He's going to throw his top tier players out there and evaluate just as he did several years ago - and Stanford forced him to alter his lineup by starting with Nurse and Tuck. Who he starts game 1 not important. It will be fun to see this team emerge. I predict he's going to be extremely tough on this team. Threatening with minutes.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
We have no idea how much practice time Stevens spent playing with the players in the game rotation. My guess is she spent a lot of scrimmage time playing on the scout team. On a team like UConn that relies on pinpoint passes and anticipating your teammates' next 2 moves on both offense and defense you don't become adept at it just from drills. I expect to see Stevens make mistakes, especially on defense, for quite a while.
It's funny, I was just talking with Milford about that the other day. We thought that maybe there were lots of times where the starters would be on the court practicing against the male practice players. Or subs off the bench would be in there practicing against whoever.

Point being, like you said, with Azura and Batouly not being able to play last year, it's possible that they ONLY participated in drills, etc, and not in scrimmages and what not. Just a thought...

Reaction Score
But the most impressive player all summer and into the fall is Dangerfield, who struggled at times during her freshman season.

“Crystal is like a different person,” Auriemma said. “Night and day, 180 [degrees] from last year at this time. She’s playing with a lot of confidence, just doing a lot of things that she didn’t do before. She’s aggressive, she’s trying to take a little bit of control over what’s going on. Pretty good so far.”

spectacular news

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So what do people think the lineup and minutes breakdown will be in more competitive games? Based on reports regarding Dangerfield, I'm guessing she starts over Stevens and I'd imagine it'll be along the lines of:
F-Collier, 28 mpg
F-Williams, 30 mpg
G-Samuelson, 28 mpg
G-Dangerfield, 25 mpg
G-Nurse, 25 mpg
Bench:
Stevens, 24 mpg
Walker, 18 mpg
Camara, 10 mpg
Coombs, 8 mpg
Everyone else, 5 spot minutes at the end

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So what do people think the lineup and minutes breakdown will be in more competitive games? Based on reports regarding Dangerfield, I'm guessing she starts over Stevens and I'd imagine it'll be along the lines of:
Collier, 28 mpg
Williams, 30 mpg
G-Samuelson, 28 mpg
G-Dangerfield, 25 mpg
G-Nurse, 25 mpg
Bench:
Stevens, 24 mpg
Walker, 18 mpg
Camara, 10 mpg
Coombs, 8 mpg
Everyone else, 5 spot minutes at the end
In the very competitive games, I think he goes 6 deep if possible for 35 minutes.

If a game is semi-competitive and we stretch a 15- point lead at halftime to 25 after 3Q, I like your numbers, though I’d bump Nurse up to 28.

Coombs may catch Batouly or Meg.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
it's possible that they ONLY participated in drills, etc, and not in scrimmages and what not. Just a thought...

Would you do that if you were Geno? I wouldn't.

Reaction Score
I remember an article when Butler joined the team and had to sit out a year. She mentioned in the article that she never practiced the entire year with any of the starters on either offense or defense and was always practiced against them. According to Geno he utilized his practice time to benefit the players who could play in games. I imagine it was the same for Azura and Batouly last year. So now they are into the mix and may be experiencing some of the "same" issues that the freshman are. Not as many nor as bad as the freshman, but still learning the UCONN way, defense, defense & more defense.

Reaction Score
Collier, 32
Williams, 32 mpg
G-Samuelson, 28 mpg
G-Dangerfield, 30 mpg
G-Nurse, 34 mpg
Bench:
Stevens, 24 mpg
Walker, 10 mpg
Everyone else, 10

Reaction Score
Collier, 32
Williams, 32 mpg
G-Samuelson, 28 mpg
G-Dangerfield, 30 mpg
G-Nurse, 34 mpg
Bench:
Stevens, 24 mpg
Walker, 10 mpg
Everyone else, 10
What makes you think Lou will have less minutes then the other starters? Seriously?

HGN

Reaction Score
Intp, don't be clueless. The clue here is Geno is saying that Crystal is ahead of Azura for that 5th starting spot. And as long as Crystal keeps impressing she is starting.

Sounds to me like Azura is an excellent player on the offensive side of the floor but not playing up to Geno's standards on the defensive end. And at 6'6 Geno is expecting more from her defensively.

JMHO.

Reaction Score
Intp, don't be clueless. The clue here is Geno is saying that Crystal is ahead of Azura for that 5th starting spot. And as long as Crystal keeps impressing she is starting.

Sounds to me like Azura is an excellent player on the offensive side of the floor but not playing up to Geno's standards on the defensive end. And at 6'6 Geno is expecting more from her defensively.

JMHO.

not sure where he's playing her on the defensive end..............no matter where it is........ it's a hell of a lot different then what she experienced at Duke...............now she knows what she signed up for

Reaction Score
Minutes: About 213 - 216.

Collier/Gabby/Lou= 84 - 86
Nurse/Danger/AZ = 80
Walker/Boutaly = 28-30
Coombs = 8
Lexi/Kyla/Molly = 12

Reaction Score

JMHO.

It isn't necessarily a battle between CD & AZ to see who deserves to start. It may be that there are better alternatives in the front court than at pg. Maybe a pg is needed more than a front court player to start a game.

Reaction Score
One never knows, but let's assume that we can take Geno's comments strictly at face value. If that is the case, his observations should come as outstanding news to all of us. Z is going to get her minutes, and will, inevitably, be a significant contributor to this team. But if Crystal is truly making the Moriah-like transformation we've eagerly anticipated, and that many of us expected, and she is really ready to have "the keys" handed to her, the positive impact on this team far supersedes any concerns about Z's defensive adjustments. The overall talent on the team is off the charts...but for every fine-tuned machine, a Mighty-Mo-type elite driver is an irreplaceable commodity...can't wait!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom