Geno on Lindsay Whalen | The Boneyard

Geno on Lindsay Whalen

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Whalen’s Lynx number was retired and there was a tribute video narrated by Maya with comments by various luminaries, including Geno.

What’s a legacy? Lindsay, your legacy, it’s pretty simple when you think about it,” current Connecticut head coach and Whalen’s former USA Basketball coach Geno Auriemma said in the tribute video. “The game of basketball existed long before you got here and it will exist way after you leave. But you made the game better, and the game was better because you were in it.

“I don’t think there’s a better legacy than that
.”

Reaction Score
Whalen’s Lynx number was retired and there was a tribute video narrated by Maya with comments by various luminaries, including Geno.

What’s a legacy? Lindsay, your legacy, it’s pretty simple when you think about it,” current Connecticut head coach and Whalen’s former USA Basketball coach Geno Auriemma said in the tribute video. “The game of basketball existed long before you got here and it will exist way after you leave. But you made the game better, and the game was better because you were in it.

“I don’t think there’s a better legacy than that
.”

Geno isn't generous in his acclaim for Whalen the game IS better because of her. My favorite Women's BB game of all time is the DT--Whalen head to head Minnesota/Uconn game.
I said then and repeat it here: Whalen was the most controlled out of control PG I have even seen. Most coaches then would say--No no no stay under control while she was flying through the air and she'd make the perfect pass, perfect assist, or score. She WAS not your ordinary PG, she was so much more. When the Minnesota Coach departed that team the year before Whalen rallied the players and stayed and succeeded by her personal leadership. Loyal, tough, nice.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno's praise does seem tepid and generic, though he doubtlessly views her as a very fine point guard and she played well for his 2012 US Olympic team. Common Geno, you could have been more effusive. After all, we got Paige didn't we? BTW, thanks for the above and beyond recruiting effort on her for 4 years!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Her best college season, stat-wise, was in 01-02 under a young coach named Brenda Frese. Whalen and company's play was so good that Frese bolted for Maryland after that season and the rest is Terp history.

Seriously though, Lindsay would likely top my list of players who didn't play in Storrs that I wish did. Tough as nails.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that Lindsay is WNBA player who has the most team victories. Does anyone know how many and who is second?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I believe that Lindsay is WNBA player who has the most team victories. Does anyone know how many and who is second?

According to this article written as Lindsay was about to break the record, Swin was second.

Lindsay Whalen poised to become WNBA's all-time leader in wins

The list at the time of the record (2017) was

294 – Lindsay Whalen and Swin Cash.

291 – DeLisha Milton-Jones

286 – Tina Thompson

263 – Rebekkan Brunson and Tamika Catchings

254 – Taj McWilliams-Franklin

250 – Sue Bird and Katie Smith

Hopefully, Sue can make a run.

Lindsay retired at 322 and Sue has ???

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
According to this article written as Lindsay was about to break the record, Swin was second.

Lindsay Whalen poised to become WNBA's all-time leader in wins

The list at the time of the record (2017) was

294 – Lindsay Whalen and Swin Cash.

291 – DeLisha Milton-Jones

286 – Tina Thompson

263 – Rebekkan Brunson and Tamika Catchings

254 – Taj McWilliams-Franklin

250 – Sue Bird and Katie Smith

Hopefully, Sue can make a run.

Lindsay retired at 322 and Sue has ???
She has to be around 290 - 26 last year and around 10 for the 2017 season post June 7, plus 4 this year unless they only count games played in which case it is probably around 280.

FYI wasn't aware but Sue is the record holder for minutes played in the WNBA and games played at 508. She is also #1 in assists and turnovers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Her best college season, stat-wise, was in 01-02 under a young coach named Brenda Frese. Whalen and company's play was so good that Frese bolted for Maryland after that season and the rest is Terp history.

Seriously though, Lindsay would likely top my list of players who didn't play in Storrs that I wish did. Tough as nails.

Any list of female BB players deemed to be “tough” had better have Whalen’s name on it. I’ve always been impressed with her relentless hustle, maturity, leadership and resolve to win. How do you spell winner? W-h-a-l-e-n.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom