Geno on IG Live | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on IG Live

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
How can they take transfers? There's no more room at the inn. The only way it would work is if the transfer was guaranteed to play next season and would be just a one year deal. They are full the year after unless Geno knows something we don't.
Yes, I think it's safe to say when it comes to the inner workings of UConn women's basketball, Geno knows a lot of things we don't know.

Reaction Score
I proposed on another thread Ellie Mack from Bucknell. What do you think? Looks tough -- is 6'3 and is a skilled shooter and looked competent passing. Looked like she "belonged" when she played vs Fla State last year in NCAA's. And this year she is better.
She could be useful in the front court for next year to provide another body and hopefully some maturity. I don't know her personality though.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Rebecca tried to pin down Geno on Paige. What fo you expect? How good do you see her being? Geno would have none of it. " I don't know".. This came after oodles of DT praise. Geno says Paige is too nice. Maybe after a year with me, she will be a lot meaner.

Reaction Score
Rebecca tried to pin down Geno on Paige. What fo you expect? How good do you see her being? Geno would have none of it. " I don't know".. This came after oodles of DT praise. Geno says Paige is too nice. Maybe after a year with me, she will be a lot meaner.

He did say he was able to coach in the U18 I think. He said with Paige he'll see after he starts to coach her.

Barring injury, Paige will become an all-time great at UCONN. She'll be a huge impact year 1.

Reaction Score
He did say he was able to coach in the U18 I think. He said with Paige he'll see after he starts to coach her.

Barring injury, Paige will become an all-time great at UCONN. She'll be a huge impact year 1.

He gave the smart answer. He knows she has pressure on her and doesn't want to add to it. But according to Bueckers' HS coach Geno has seem 20 of Bueckers' games. He didn't put in all that time without having a few ideas and more to the point, he wouldn't have put in the time with any other player.

Reaction Score
He gave the smart answer. He knows she has pressure on her and doesn't want to add to it. But according to Bueckers' HS coach Geno has seem 20 of Bueckers' games. He didn't put in all that time without having a few ideas and more to the point, he wouldn't have put in the time with any other player.

Absolutely. In addition more than pressure - he has a method / process /coaching style as all successful coaches do. To give his prediction any substance he needs to see her run through his gauntlet of coaching and see how she responds.

Watching her and coaching her are 2 different things.

Reaction Score
Here is the problem as I see it. We have a very talented number of players coming in for the next few years in addition to what we already have. In order to develop their talent they are going to have to see a significant amount of playing time. For every other player you bring in that is going to reduce that time and we could very well have another class or two like the one a few years ago when so many decided to transfer in order to gain more playing time. Let us please develop what we have.
Agree. Develop what we have and we might not win an NC next year, but the three years after could be gold.

Reaction Score
Man this Jamsine Lister situation seems really really messy. I can't even imagine what the drama is behind that. Geno instantly cringed when asked if Jamelle would be back next year and just was left with a "that's a really really tough situation."

Yeah, there is something far more to that, we definitely do NOT know the whole story! ANYONE could see the amazing impact that Elliot had on the team last year, especially the post players!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yes, GA could use a one year, 6-3 or bigger, board banger to help or back up ONO.

Maybe a grad transfer? I would say there is room at the inn for older, experienced players — even if their playing time is limited.

I believe the current roster stands at 10. I’d like to see it increased to 12 active Players including as BobbyJ suggests, a 6-3 or taller wing or post.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Here is the problem as I see it. We have a very talented number of players coming in for the next few years in addition to what we already have. In order to develop their talent they are going to have to see a significant amount of playing time. For every other player you bring in that is going to reduce that time and we could very well have another class or two like the one a few years ago when so many decided to transfer in order to gain more playing time. Let us please develop what we have.

The players you’re referring to didn’t get the desired PT because they could not raise their skill level to the level needed to get on the floor. Ekmark, Coombs and Gordon were less than impressive when they did get in.

Andra Espinosa-Hunter‘s departure was because of philosophical differences with Geno. It’s fair to say they left in search of more playing time. Players want to play. Everyone understands that. UConn recruits elite players who were the best players on their HS team. NO ONE commits to UConn to sit on the bench. Sometimes things don’t work out, so sometimes adjustments must be made. The mistake would be to stay if you’re not happy.

I think a roster of 12 would be perfect. There will always be “role players“ on the end of the bench that are an integral part of the team that won’t always get a lot of playing time. I think Geno does a decent job of getting these players into the game during garbage time once the outcome is no longer in doubt. Sometimes you have to play your starters well into the 4th quarter to ensure victory.

If memory serves, I believe we played a road game this year with only 7 active players. I believe it was during the time that Crystal and Kayla were out, and before Batouly came back. That’s cutting it a little too close.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alexa Philippou misinterpreted Gens's comments last night about Oregon in her article in the Courant today. He didn't say Oregon would have won the NC. He was asked, of the 3 schools, Baylor , SC, and Oregon, who would win. He was given therefore a hypothetical of those 3 teams being in the FF. He grudgingly said that if it was SC and Oregon in the NC, which he would expect from those 3 teams, he gave the edge to Oregon due to experience. He was not asked the #1 question which is how far do you think we would have gone if we were in the same region as Oregon. I bet, after a lot of equivocation, he would have said that the way we were playing at the end of the year, he liked our chances. His answer to that question might also have given a clue to next season aa to the style of play. The late season defense and up tempo transition this year fits a 10 player or 11 player (grad transfer?) roster very well with the added bonus of being able to full court press for extended periods of time. I would have liked to get even a remote clue as to what he is thinking. He also said he never saw another player liked DT. Even coaching her in U18 one summer before she started, he was amazed at not only how good she was but also at how the force of her personality uplifted the other players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I proposed on another thread Ellie Mack from Bucknell. What do you think? Looks tough -- is 6'3 and is a skilled shooter and looked competent passing. Looked like she "belonged" when she played vs Fla State last year in NCAA's. And this year she is better.

I’d take a BIG warm body (grad transfer) that like Adebayo, wants to come to UConn to finish her collegiate career, that can play NOW. Ellie Mack would be a welcome addition and an asset to the team. She is the 2020 Patriot League player of the year. I’d take her without a second thought.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
An excellent question that needs to be answered before many of the possible ”good fits” commit to other programs.
Geno said "a couple of weeks" reading the timeframe for a transfer. We could well hear something this month. Also, keep an eye on news about more players entering the portal. I think Shakira Austin must have some level of appeal. I wouldn't be surprised to see Charli Collier enter it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised either if Collier left Texas, especially since her HC that recruited her was fired. She’s got two years of eligibility remaining. I’d take her too if she wanted to come. Of course she’d have to sit out a year unless the NCAA adopts the new transfer rules they’re contemplating.

A 6’5” post player with 2 years of experience? You don’t turn down an opportunity to get a player like that. I was not happy when she decommitted and went to Texas. I understood her reasons why. It’s very possible she’s in a better place psychologically to leave home now than she was 2 years ago. Another no brainer.
I'm going from memory here, so I may be wrong, but ...

Recently, the NCAA agreed to offer another year of eligibility for athletes in spring sports. They did not vote on the proposed change to the transfer rule, but I believe they deferred the vote to June 1 of this year. So it could change soon, I believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the discussion about the tournament, Geno noted that anything can happen. He reluctantly said Oregon had a slight edge, though any of the Big 3 could win. For those who want to anoint S.C. as the champion, Geno noted that, if ending the season ranked #1 was the deciding factor, UConn would have MORE THAN 11 championships. :D

Reaction Score
In the discussion about the tournament, Geno noted that anything can happen. He reluctantly said Oregon had a slight edge, though any of the Big 3 could win. For those who want to anoint S.C. as the champion, Geno noted that, if ending the season ranked #1 was the deciding factor, UConn would have MORE THAN 11 championships. :D
Good point, Geno.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So how many NC's would we have if it was based on #1 ranking after the season??

Reaction Score
He also said he never saw another player liked DT. Even coaching her in U18 one summer before she started, he was amazed at not only how good she was but also at how the force of her personality uplifted the other players.

That's Bueckers. Hopkins has a lot of talent but for the last 2 years that talent has been in the 8th grade or was a freshman/sophomore. Bueckers was the anchor for all of them. Over those 2 years there have been 3 or 4 games when those kids played scared. Bueckers dragged them to victory. On a USA U19 team that had Ryne Howard, Jones, Horston, Boston it was Bueckers who won MVP. There have been several comments from her various coaches saying she makes those around her better. She has a vivacious personality, not at all a shrinking violet on the court. Plays with a lot of emotion. She is just what UConn needs.
If it looks like a Taurasi, plays like a Taurasi & laughs like a Taurasi ........................

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom