Geno On Christyn's First Game: Did She Play | The Boneyard

Geno On Christyn's First Game: Did She Play

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually, he went on a riff off of a reporter's question:

"Auriemma was asked what he thought of Williams’ effort.

“Did she play?” he said. “I’m not sure. I mean, I think she was out there, but I don’t know if she played. Yeah, she played 28 minutes. Damn, that’s a lot of minutes. I can’t wait to tell her that somebody actually asked whether she played or not and it wasn’t me. That’s what you were asking right, whether she played?”
Auriemma was smiling.

“Oh, oh, oh. I thought you asked, ‘Did she play?’ I was going to say [to Williams], ‘Even the media doesn’t like you already.’”
He laughed loudly.“Again, you say to yourself, how can a kid who scored 4,000 points or whatever she scored in high school come in the game and look like, ‘Oh, you know, I don't know,’ then show a couple flashes. But that’s OK. She’s a freshman. I want her to do more because the kid is really, really good — I mean, really good. And she’s going to get better every game.”

Mike Anthony: Megan Walker shines in UConn women's opener, puts freshman year struggles in rearview

He was in a very good frame of mind.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Christyn is already fun to watch and, as Geno says, is only going to get better each game. I can't even remember the last time that a UConn freshman started in the first game of the season. This kid is special sauce.

Reaction Score
CW definitely put on the brakes as she deferred to the upperclassmen..................unlike some other players now sitting on the bench, I'm confident she'll be more aggressive in the next few games..................when she's scoring it takes some of the pressure off of the big three which I'm sure they appreciate........

Reaction Score
CW definitely put on the brakes as she deferred to the upperclassmen...unlike some other players now sitting on the bench, I'm confident she'll be more aggressive in the next few games...when she's scoring it takes some of the pressure off of the big three which I'm sure they appreciate...
I like the way you think! Chrystn plays within the game. Have no doubt: If others can't or won't score then Ms Williams will take over. As every year beyond this unfolds, she will show us her DT side. I know it's early BUT--few other than Maya or DT had her court presence her looking like "I've been here my whole life" attitude. Geno sees the same thing cuz he gushes even while taking her to task for not scoring 4000 points against Ohio St. Isn't it great to see ANOTHER once in a lifetime player??

Reaction Score
Geno can be very funny when he is in the mood, but he can be very sarcastic and cutting at times. CW played well and let the game comes to her. She did not rush, take bad shots or commit obvious errors or faults. But to compare CW to DT is much too soon at this point. D is the GOAT!!!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
If Geno keeps treating her like this, she’s going to transfer. Poor Megan. How will she learn if Geno doesn’t let her play through mistakes? Why doesn’t he build her up instead of tear her down?

Man were there tons of those people on the BY last year, while others (like Milford and I) kept saying this kid is special and is going to be an AA. Now look. It's only the beginning, but I haven't changed my mind. Nor I suspect has Milford. Also, players that kill other teams like Jackie Young are going to have a handful with Meg, who just does everything she does except in a bigger, stronger body.

Reaction Score
I must have watched a different game than Geno. Maybe he was just trying to be funny. On offense, Christyn was in control and did what was required to set up KLS and others. Yeah, she could have gone one on one and showed off her offense but no need and probably was not appropriate for this game. Felt she shined on defense where she showed foot speed and strength. Some tried to use speed to get by her; some tried power but in most cases she displayed more defensive awareness than others on the team (i.e. good at any level, not just freshmen level) and stopped their moves to basket. My view of this team's needs are more defense focused than offense, particularly in games we are up by 30.

Reaction Score
I agree with the comments about CW. She made very few mistakes and was on the court for a lot of minutes. She didn't score much but you don't need scoring to see what makes this girl special. Defensively she knew where to be and did all the little things that contribute to the team. She has learned the Geno system already and as she gets more and more confidence we will see the scoring side. At the rate she is learning, we might see it as soon as the next few games.

Reaction Score

“Did she play?” he said. “I’m not sure. I mean, I think she was out there, but I don’t know if she played. Yeah, she played 28 minutes. Damn, that’s a lot of minutes. I can’t wait to tell her that somebody actually asked whether she played or not and it wasn’t me. That’s what you were asking right, whether she played?”
Auriemma was smiling.

“Oh, oh, oh. I thought you asked, ‘Did she play?’ I was going to say [to Williams], ‘Even the media doesn’t like you already.’”
He laughed loudly.“Again, you say to yourself, how can a kid who scored 4,000 points or whatever she scored in high school come in the game and look like, ‘Oh, you know, I don't know,’ then show a couple flashes. But that’s OK. She’s a freshman. I want her to do more because the kid is really, really good — I mean, really good. And she’s going to get better every game.”

Mike Anthony: Megan Walker shines in UConn women's opener, puts freshman year struggles in rearview

The team is nowhere near mid-season form but Geno is.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I could write a novel length response to this piece, but I won't. It has so many "truths" in it. Every year, there's always a few Husky fans that criticize the play of freshmen when (in their opinion) they don't come in and produce right away, and live up to their billing or "hype" in high school. They did it to Jefferson, Gabby, Crystal, Megan last year, and now ONO.

I remember Gabby saying at the beginning of her sophomore year (I'm paraphrasing) now I'm ready. I know what I'm doing now. She said she did not play in the Stanford loss because "I was not ready". She knew it, and Geno knew it.
In time, she learned. Crystal showed flashes of brilliance her freshman year, but could not sustain it. Like Jefferson before her, she was always worried about making a mistake, and possibly getting pulled. It took both of them a full season (as Geno says every year about freshmen needing the whole year to figure things out) to get it.

She'd play well one game, and not the next. During the second or third week of practice, I remember Crystal saying to a reporter that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for what she was going through now. She was not smiling when she said it. She was completely overwhelmed with Geno's practices, demands and expectations. Crystal's upperclassmen teammates tried to help her as best they could. They all told her the same thing, just try to get through it. She did. Look at her now.

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn't want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. It’s an everyday grind in college basketball, UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. I was a little shocked.”

Megan went from being the best and most experienced player on the court in high school, to being the youngest and most inexperienced player on the team at UConn. Everyone was more experienced than her, and many players were as good or better than she was. Not only that, ALL of the cachet she had earned in high school, meant nothing at UConn. That's a very humbling experience for a player to realize. and endure. There are so many adjustments to make at this level.

"Megan Walker is one of the most physically gifted basketball players I've ever seen," Monacan coach Larry Starr said. "Once she started being ranked so high, she did not get complacent but continued to work hard to maintain that ranking. It's important to Megan to show people she isn't satisfied where she is, but she always strives for improvement." Geno has said repeatedly that he will never allow a recruit to cheat their potential if they come to UConn.

The demands of a college freshman are challenging to say the least, whether you're an athlete or not. The heightened demands of academics as well as the demands of athletics, coupled with being away from home for the first time, can be a bit of a culture shock to anyone. To say that she was "a little shocked" was an understatement.

Ahhh, but look at her now. The opener is a small sample of what lies ahead. Auriemma has said for months that Walker was having a terrific off season, that she had done a 180 and was virtually unrecognizable. :eek:

Last year Walker had a roller coaster freshman season. She was in a new system, the demands and expectations of which were very high. It was difficult for her to process everything she was given all at once, and could not make it work, so she struggled. Walker survived, finding value in her struggles and emerged a better player from a 2017-18 pressure cooker during which Auriemma yanked her in and out the lineup and was never shy about critiquing her progress, or lack thereof.

“I knew it would be hard,” said Walker, a sophomore who averaged 5.8 points last season. “I knew it would be tough. I just took a bigger blow than anybody else. We stuck it out. I’m not going anywhere.” Now it's ONO's turn. She's under the microscope. After two games, fans are already criticizing her play. "She looked lost out there" one fan said. That's probably because was was. :eek:

There are some things you learn and perfect in practice, some you learn and perfect in games. Playing at UConn isn't for the meek or mild. Auriemma has no filter, and he’s transparent. Freshmen never have to wonder what he thinks. That is as healthy as it is difficult. Walker called it a fair process, and she never considered leaving. ;)

Some players get it right away. Not all are Diana or Maya. Eventually, Williams and ONO will get it. Maybe Walker has gotten it. Maybe her approach and understanding are now aligning with her potential. Auriemma has told Walker to model her approach after that of Collier.

“With Megan’s talent, if she gets a motor like Pheesa and goes, she could be incredible,” Auriemma said. “How do you really describe Walker? Is she a big guard or a small version of a forward? But she has a lot of skill. She obviously has to really add a lot for our team to be what we want it to be, and Sunday was a really good start.”

I can't predict when the light will go on for ONO, no one can. We all hope it's sooner rather than later. Ready or not, she's going to be needed come March. O.J.T. may be what the doctor ordered. Baptismal under fire. The fastest way to learn a thing. This team can't afford to give her a year to "get it". They need her to be functional by the end of February. Remember, EVERY post player she will be matched up with in March will be an experienced upperclassman. She's going to have her hands full no matter who they play.

No analyzing or critiquing ONO here. I remain ecstatic that she chose to come to UConn. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching her play and develop as the season progresses, and hope that she's ready to meet the challenges that will come when the tournament begins.

I understand and realize that I may be in the minority here, but I'm following Geno's lead in that my expectations of freshmen (which mirror his) learning his system quickly are minimal at best. I do expect ONO to be exactly where Walker is now, this time next year, if not sooner.

I could not tell watching the live stream of the Vanguard game because of the poor quality, but it was easily recognizable during the CBS-HD broadcast how much bigger Megan has gotten during the off season. I looked at an early game from last year to compare the difference. Working out with Napheesa during the spring and summer has really paid off for Walker in several ways. Walker has always appeared to me to be a no nonsense young lady (like Sabrina Ionescu & Morgan Tuck) who is serious about her growth and development.

No doubt (during their summer workouts) that Collier shared her experiences of her sophomore season, mentoring Megan about how she should approach the upcoming season, and the things Geno and staff will be expecting from her.

At the end of this month, UConn will have 8 games behind them. We'll have a much larger sample size to draw from when making our assessments and critiques. I am so happy to have UConn women's basketball back. That was a
l-o-n-g summer. The gray clouds have passed, the skies are clear, it's warming up, and the birds are singing. Life is good! :)

Note to self............I've got to cut down on the length of my posts. This one way tooooo long. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

Auriemma was smiling.

It's not hard to read between the lines on this one-Geno is a huge CW fan-I mean she got 3 really goods!!! His smiling and joking thru that interview just shows you how excited he is about her future on this team. CW is the real deal!!! She totally played well within herself yesterday-imagine Wonder Woman fighting off the bad guys wearing a hoodie and yoga tights and both hands tied behind her back. Just wait til she is comfortable enough to take over games (I know that's not the UCONN way, but you know what I mean):) I'm looking forward to 4 years of that!!

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's not hard to read between the lines on this one-Geno is a huge CW fan-I mean she got 3 really goods!!! His smiling and joking thru that interview just shows you how excited he is about her future on this team. CW is the real deal!!! She totally played well within herself yesterday-imagine Wonder Woman fighting off the bad guys wearing a hoodie and yoga tights and both hands tied behind her back. Just wait til she is comfortable enough to take over games (I know that's not the UCONN way, but you know what I mean):) I'm looking forward to 4 years of that!!

After close to 40 years in coaching, Geno knows "raw" talent when he sees it. :cool: Just think how much better she'll be by mid February, after she has about 25 games under her belt. Practice is nice, but she'll get better, improve her game and "gel" with her teammates by playing in actual games against other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I must have watched a different game than Geno. Maybe he was just trying to be funny.
Geno is the same guy that said Kara couldn't guard a chair (Mel, too), that said Maya "really worked her butt off to get that one rebound" and said of Svet Abrosimova "That's it! No more foreigners!". He knows who to push in private and who can take the ribbing in public. It's one of his gifts, actually, understanding his players and how to motivate them.

Reaction Score
I have to say that I think many on this board look back at the freshman years of UConn royalty with rose colored glasses sometimes. Stewie, Maya, and even DT took heat from Geno as freshman. Poor Tina Charles really took some shots from Geno. CW started out awesome for a freshman and in my opinion at around the same levels as the royalty. I think CW played it a bit safe her first game and I think that is what Geno was getting at. She played good but maybe a little safe and that is totally understandable the first game at UConn. If this is her on game 1, I can't wait until game 39!!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is the same guy that said Kara couldn't guard a chair (Mel, too), that said Maya "really worked her butt off to get that one rebound" and said of Svet Abrosimova "That's it! No more foreigners!". He knows who to push in private and who can take the ribbing in public. It's one of his gifts, actually, understanding his players and how to motivate them.

I also really, really like his comment about Lou getting 2 rebounds. "You got two more than a dead man." or some such!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Coaching, in one sense, can be simple:

Geno to Lou three years ago: “Watch Stewie. Do what she does.”

Perhaps I am wrong but I seem to recall explicitly that he said somewhere that emulating Stewie (at least mechanically / not attitude) is not the best teaching approach (for Lou?) because she makes it look too easy.

Carnac

Reaction Score
And to Liv this year, "Go watch videos of Stewie. Do what she does". Now, get back in that weight room.

Jordy, I lol :D when I read your comment!! THAT was funny! :D:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
And to Liv this year, "Go watch videos of Stewie. Do what she does". Now, get back in that weight room.

I don't see it JordyG. Tell you why. Stewie is a couple of nanoseconds, maybe 3 ahead of all the rest. And that makes all the difference. Olivia is built just fine and the UConn conditioning will give her all she needs to be an intimidating power forward/center.

Reaction Score
Geno can be very funny when he is in the mood, but he can be very sarcastic and cutting at times. CW played well and let the game comes to her. She did not rush, take bad shots or commit obvious errors or faults. But to compare CW to DT is much too soon at this point. D is the GOAT!!!!
I have to agree it is much too soon to compare CW to anyone---I just couldn't help myself.
That kid is that good. She is lacking DT's swagger or bravado, which makes her likeable, but not the leader at this point.

Reaction Score
I don't see it JordyG. Tell you why. Stewie is a couple of nanoseconds, maybe 3 ahead of all the rest. And that makes all the difference. Olivia is built just fine and the UConn conditioning will give her all she needs to be an intimidating power forward/center.
When Stewie finally came around to believing in Stewie, after a few months of not being Stewie, she "got it' and for Stew it was being able to take the punishment and still concentrated on what had to be done.
ONO may be built perfectly for a forward (I'd still like 10 or 20 pound on that 6 ft 4 plus frame.
Those pounds in muscle, not fat. At this time in Stewies career she dominated lessor teams, for about 3 or 5 game,s until the paridise Jam. The WBB world all shouted her name to start. ONO is not that player NOW and maybe not this year. Stew had no trouble in her first games dominating--ONO hasn't shown that YET. As with Frosh Stew much of her issue is between the ears. Also, I don't think she has Stew's confidence. It is way way too early to predict, yet here I am doing just that. I hope in Mid March you post what an idiot I was about ONO in November.

Reaction Score
I could write a novel length response to this piece, but I won't. It has so many "truths" in it. Every year, there's always a few Husky fans that criticize the play of freshmen when (in their opinion) they don't come in and produce right away, and live up to their billing or "hype" in high school. They did it to Jefferson, Gabby, Crystal, Megan last year, and now ONO.

I remember Gabby saying at the beginning of her sophomore year (I'm paraphrasing) now I'm ready. I know what I'm doing now. She said she did not play in the Stanford loss because "I was not ready". She knew it, and Geno knew it.
In time, she learned. Crystal showed flashes of brilliance her freshman year, but could not sustain it. Like Jefferson before her, she was always worried about making a mistake, and possibly getting pulled. It took both of them a full season (as Geno says every year about freshmen needing the whole year to figure things out) to get it.

She'd play well one game, and not the next. During the second or third week of practice, I remember Crystal saying to a reporter that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for what she was going through now. She was not smiling when she said it. She was completely overwhelmed with Geno's practices, demands and expectations. Crystal's upperclassmen teammates tried to help her as best they could. They all told her the same thing, just get through it. She did. Look at her now.

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn’t want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. It’s an everyday grind in college basketball, UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. I was a little shocked.”

Megan went from being the best and most experienced player on the court, to being the youngest and most inexperienced player on the team. Everyone was more experienced than her, and many players were as good or better than she was. That's a very humbling experience for a player to realize. and endure. There are so many adjustments to make at this level.

"Megan Walker is one of the most physically gifted basketball players I've ever seen," Monacan coach Larry Starr said. "Once she started being ranked so high, she did not get complacent but continued to work hard to maintain that ranking. It's important to Megan to show people she isn't satisfied where she is, but she always strives for improvement." Geno has said repeatedly that he will never allow a recruit to cheat their potential if they come to UConn.

The demands of a college freshman are challenging to say the least, whether you're an athlete or not. The heightened demands of academics as well as the demands of athletics, coupled with being away from home for the first time, can be a bit of a culture shock to anyone. To say that she was "a little shocked" was an understatement.

Ahhh, but look at her now. The opener is a small sample of what lies ahead. Auriemma has said for months that Walker was having a terrific off season, that she had done a 180 and was virtually unrecognizable. :eek:

Last year Walker had a roller coaster freshman season. She was in a new system, the demands and expectations of which were very high. It was difficult for her to process everything she was given all at once, and could not make it work, so she struggled. Walker survived, finding value in her struggles and emerged a better player from a 2017-18 pressure cooker during which Auriemma yanked her in and out the lineup and was never shy about critiquing her progress, or lack thereof.

“I knew it would be hard,” said Walker, a sophomore who averaged 5.8 points last season. “I knew it would be tough. I just took a bigger blow than anybody else. We stuck it out. I’m not going anywhere.” Now it's ONO's turn. She's under the microscope. After two games, fans are already criticizing her play. "She looked lost out there" one fan said. That's probably because was was. :eek:

There are some things you learn and perfect in practice, some you learn and perfect in games. Playing at UConn isn't for the meek or mild. Auriemma has no filter, and he’s transparent. Freshmen never have to wonder what he thinks. That is as healthy as it is difficult. Walker called it a fair process, and she never considered leaving. ;)

Some players get it right away. Not all are Diana or Maya. Eventually, Williams and ONO will get it. Maybe Walker has gotten it. Maybe her approach and understanding are now aligning with her potential. Auriemma has told Walker to model her approach after that of Collier.

“With Megan’s talent, if she gets a motor like Pheesa and goes, she could be incredible,” Auriemma said. “How do you really describe Walker? Is she a big guard or a small version of a forward? But she has a lot of skill. She obviously has to really add a lot for our team to be what we want it to be, and Sunday was a really good start.”

I can't predict when the light will go on for ONO, no one can. We all hope it's sooner rather than later. Ready or not, she's going to be needed come March. O.J.T. may be what the doctor ordered. Baptismal under fire. The fastest way to learn a thing. This team can't afford to give her a year to "get it". They need her to be functional by the end of February. Remember, EVERY post player she will be matched up with in March will be an experienced upperclassman. She's going to have her hands full no matter who they play.

No analyzing or critiquing ONO here. I remain ecstatic that she chose to come to UConn. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching her play and develop as the season progresses, and hope that she's ready to meet the challenges that will come when the tournament begins.

I understand and realize that I may be in the minority here, but I'm following Geno's lead in that my expectations of freshmen (which mirror his) learning his system quickly are minimal at best. I do expect ONO to be exactly where Walker is now, this time next year, if not sooner.

I could not tell watching the live stream of the Vanguard game because of the poor quality, but it was easily recognizable during the CBS-HD broadcast how much bigger Megan has gotten during the off season. I looked at an early game from last year to compare the difference. Working out with Napheesa during the spring and summer has really paid off for Walker in several ways. Walker has always appeared to me to be a no nonsense young lady (like Sabrina Ionescu & Morgan Tuck) who is serious about her growth and development.

No doubt (during their summer workouts) that Collier shared her experiences of her sophomore season, mentoring Megan about how she should approach the upcoming season, and the things Geno and staff will be expecting from her.

At the end of this month, UConn will have 8 games behind them. We'll have a much larger sample size to draw from when making our assessments and critiques. I am so happy to have UConn women's basketball back. That was a
l-o-n-g summer. The gray clouds have passed, the skies are clear, it's warming up, and the birds are singing. Life is good! :)

I like your NOVEL! Truths flow easily through from start to dramatic climax. Symbolism is used to enhance the characters.
I must request you excusing me I'm unashamedly a Chrystn Williams fan. In that vain I suggest that at no time in CW's 2 Uconn games did she look lost or as she didn't belong?? Compare her to the group these past 2 classes. Except for what happened to Meg Walker you must see that CW without dominating the scoring executes as a full member of this team--time will show her true talent.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry, but to me her upper body strength is far from WCBB ready. Liv's athleticism is as high or higher than any forward UConn has ever recruited. But strength and a little nasty streak could make her a great WCBB player, as well as the ability to run all night. Yeah, her conditioning also isn't WCBB ready. If you don't think so just wait until she has to play a junior or senior of equal size from another team and watch her get out muscled. Now, this ain't always going to be the case, but if it wasn't the case now she'd be first off the bench, mistakes and all.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score

She'd play well one game, and not the next. During the second or third week of practice, I remember Crystal saying to a reporter that nothing she did or experienced in high school or AAU, prepared her for what she was going through now. She was not smiling when she said it. She was completely overwhelmed with Geno's practices, demands and expectations. Crystal's upperclassmen teammates tried to help her as best they could. They all told her the same thing, just get through it. She did. Look at her now.

“Freshman year was a challenge,” Walker said. “I had to respond. I didn’t want to be the same coming back. I feel like it’s a learning experience. Toward the end of last year, I started to figure it out and key in on what I needed to do. It’s an everyday grind in college basketball, UConn basketball, I should say. It’s at another level. I was a little shocked.”

Megan went from being the best and most experienced player on the court, to being the youngest and most inexperienced player on the team. Everyone was more experienced than her, and many players were as good or better than she was. That's a very humbling experience for a player to realize. and endure. There are so many adjustments to make at this level.

If that’s NOT a novel length response, what was War and Peace? A short story???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom