Geno on Aubrey | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on Aubrey

Reaction Score
I’ve mentioned before that I watched Aubrey in each of her last 4 HS games, the NY State semis & finals, and the Fed Cup tournament. Against really good competition she put up 30+ pts, scoring in every conceivable way. So clearly, she can score.

Geno doesn’t need 30+ from Aubrey. He needs her to understand where to go in the offense, and to shoot the ball with confidence when she’s open. If Aubrey can do those things, she will be the 5th starter over Kyla & Anna, because of all the other things she can do that no one else on the team can do.

Time is of the essence here. The Baylor game showed that UConn is very close, but needs something else to put the team over the top. Aubrey is the X-Factor. Imagine this UConn team with a super-athletic wing who can guard 1-5, rebound and is capable of picking up some of the scoring load. It would increase the Huskies odds of winning it all significantly once the Big Dance rolls around.
I felt the same about Olivia last year. I thought we needed her height against the bigger teams. She was brought along like Geno does with most freshmen 14 minutes and a lot of what the heck are you doing looks that scares the players to death.

Reaction Score
Remember it’s 6’5 Keith Erickson in the back of that press.
WOW .. gr8 memory, you really know your basketball .. and while we're at it, we should point out what a basketball genius that John Wooden was.
1) he first won a coupla NCAA titles with a backcourt-dominated team: Walt Hazzard/Gail Goodrich[&Erickson].
2) then, he won a couple more titles with a center-dominated team: Lew Alcindor
3) then a couple more titles with a forward-dominated team: Wicks&Rowe
4) then, he won a couple more titles with another center-dominated team: Walton
My favourite men's game was when Walton dropped 44 on Larry Kenon's MS team [shooting 21/22] in an early 70s NCAA tourney tilt!!!

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Here's the Houston postgame (again). Okay, maybe Geno isn't perfect, but I can't imagine anyone else (well, maybe Scott Rueck) holding an audience spellbound the way he does for 20 minutes, talking about WCBB and his team, in a knowledgeable, informative and entertaining way. I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum anymore when I think he has steered us into a loss. Sure we can still voice our opinions and let fly with what we think are valid criticisms, but we are pretty lucky to have him at the helm. His thoughts on Aubrey, as other BYS have referred to, begin at 15:05.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Time is of the essence here. The Baylor game showed that UConn is very close, but needs something else to put the team over the top. Aubrey is the X-Factor. Imagine this UConn team with a super-athletic wing who can guard 1-5, rebound and is capable of picking up some of the scoring load. It would increase the Huskies odds of winning it all significantly once the Big Dance rolls around.
Eggzackly ... time is of the essence here and Aubrey is the X-Factor...

Reaction Score
She needs more playing time even if it's for her rebounding for now. Why are other players getting more playing time not scoring or rebounding ? Makes no sense !
I agree .. think it's time for "baptism by fire" ... let's throw fer into the deep end of the pool ... eh?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There’s a name out of the past. There was a great quote from I believe former UNLV HC Jerry Tarkanian. He was asked if he wouldn’t love to have all these great UCLA players on his team. His answer, “I’d rather have Sam Gilbert.” :cool:
Jerry also said; "Sam Gilbert just bought another car, so UCSB is going to be put on probation again". Then there's his best quote "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation." This is the quote that got him in hot water with NCAA that they harassed him so much that he went to court and won a $2,000,000 settlement.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
WOW .. gr8 memory, you really know your basketball .. and while we're at it, we should point out what a basketball genius that John Wooden was.
1) he first won a coupla NCAA titles with a backcourt-dominated team: Walt Hazzard/Gail Goodrich[&Erickson].
My favourite men's game was when Walton dropped 44 on Larry Kenon's MS team [shooting 21/22] in an early 70s NCAA tourney tilt!!!
I know it's off topic but, I just wanted to say I was at that game when Walton did that guarded by a player, Westfall, who graduated from the same high school I did, but 11 years later. Walton was 6'11", Westfall, 6' 7".

Reaction Score
Anna is incapable of taking the ball to the hole because she shoots in close down low from her shoulder (a shot blocker's dream). Drives by her "man" and looks to pass. Aubrey will develop into a dangerous "drive and shoot" player once she gains confidence. Makurat will likely always be a perimeter threat only, Griffin will become an inside force. Geno must persuade Aubrey to take it to the hole, even if she gets whacked/blocked as a freshman. Her game will mature. Makurat will remind us of Maria Conlon, a valuable trey shooter and ball handler.

Our big need is an aircraft carrier. ODO will never be one. Too weak, timid and soft.

Reaction Score
Bottom line: be more confident out there. Shots don't fall without conviction.
^^^^ this
They all need to shoot when they’re open unless the see someone has a better shot... but that doesn’t mean they need to wait 10-15 seconds for it.

Reaction Score
Super job! But he was a tad like Geno in the respect that his teams were always stacked. Hazzard’s team was his first title after many years as a coach. He had Indiana heritage. He could win with any type of player. The press was revolutionary. I’m more a fan of the Wicks-Rowe team. The Celtics ended up with both of them. They beat Artis Gilmore. Remember Steve Patterson?
How about his last championship? That’s how it’s going to look for Geno. Geno’s going to win with a team like that, a team that’s not overwhelming favorites. This year or next year.

Reaction Score
Remember the Hazzard/Goodrich days? I'm not saying that I'm even the oldest Boneyarder but I think I can remember seeing ol' Jimmy Naismith putting up that peach basket in the Springfield gym and saying "Okay, first team to hit four points wins!" Now that's old!:)
Hoops really isn’t an old game! Do the math. I’m 62, coaching in the Alaska bush, can’t jump anymore, but I can still shoot- I go back as far as Texas Western’s win. The NCAA had barely started. The NIT was only a half dozen years prior
the big tourney of the year. The family tree of hoops only has like 3 maybe 4 generations Starting with Naismith. He had disciples that he influenced when he was at Kansas Univ.
Check out the film, Black Magic. You can chart that tree.
John McLendon learned from the man himself. He coached in a Black College in NC. Basically revolutionized fast break basketball. Red Auerbach took it from him. And so on....

Reaction Score
How true .. guess i m dating myself.. :)
I wish Geno did more pressing. Our team may not be tall but we‘re pretty long. Let loose Aubrey. She could be all over the court. Meg’s not gunna kill you and Christyn’s length is underrated. We‘re seeing the rebounding now. Ania is smart and can anticipate. Make some steals. Open this thing up! Baylor will fall like a big redwood!

Reaction Score
I’ve mentioned before that I watched Aubrey in each of her last 4 HS games, the NY State semis & finals, and the Fed Cup tournament. Against really good competition she put up 30+ pts, scoring in every conceivable way. So clearly, she can score.

Geno doesn’t need 30+ from Aubrey. He needs her to understand where to go in the offense, and to shoot the ball with confidence when she’s open. If Aubrey can do those things, she will be the 5th starter over Kyla & Anna, because of all the other things she can do that no one else on the team can do.

Curious if Aubrey was able to score based on her athleticism or showed offensive moves particularly away from the basket. To date, seems like her offense is limited when she plays against defensive minded teams. Still too early to fully understand her skill set at this level.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Curious if Aubrey was able to score based on her athleticism or showed offensive moves particularly away from the basket. To date, seems like her offense is limited when she plays against defensive minded teams. Still too early to fully understand her skill set at this level.
During the NY State semifinals I posted a short video of Aubrey schooling a defender with a move that was pure James Harden. She set her up by a couple quick dribbles toward the basket, then went behind her back to a step-back jumper from 20 feet which she drained. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find that video. It was a thing of beauty.

While driving to the basket is certainly her strength, she has the skill set to score from anywhere in a variety of ways. Aubrey can be somewhat streaky from the arc. But so to was Megan until she worked to improve her shooting mechanics.

Reaction Score
As far as I can tell, no one on the Boneyard has mentioned Geno's comments about Aubrey towards the end of his Houston postgame press conference. I found them surprising and telling.

His basic comment was that he wished Aubrey had the mentality of a talented male basketball player coming to college for his "one and done" year. He said that guy's attitude would be, "I'm going to shoot all the time and score 25 so they will draft me in the top 10 at the end of the year." Instead of that, he said Aubrey's attitude was all about being concerned to fit in with her teammates and do what the offense called for. She tries so hard to play within the offense and be mindful of her teammates that her play becomes tentative.

There's a little psychological gamesmanship here, especially in the context of the similar message that he delivered to Anna, in that case using a Polish NBA player as the comparison. He wants both of them to play more confidently and less tentatively. He made it sound as if he didn't care whether they thought of their teammates or played within the offense.

Of course, he doesn't really mean that, and I think they know it. He even backed off slightly from his comments about Aubrey, saying later that he would like her to play like a one-and-done male player "in some ways, not all". And they can both be sure that they would have hell to pay if they really did play selfishly. What he wants is for them to be SOMEWHAT more selfish and less team-oriented, not completely, i.e., to find the right balance rather than being overbalanced toward systematic team play.

I once had a boss like that -- he told me not to be tentative or defensive, but if I non-tentatively did something that he disagreed with, he let me know about it in no uncertain terms, asking how I could do such a dumb thing. I found it very hard to deal with that, and I'm guessing that Anna and Aubrey have the same difficulty.

His last comment about Aubrey was that if she could overcome her tentativeness in the next month or two, it would make the team 100% better. "That's how good she is." It's not like he doesn't recognize her talent.
Exactly. He pulled her when she decided not to take a wide open jump shot from the corner. It was the kind of shot the offense is designed to free up, and she hesitated and refused to shoot. Instead, she wound up turning the ball over. We all see the potential greatness in this young player. But she is, at best, stuck in neutral right now. At worst, she is going into a shell. She is playing on offense like Molly did for her first three years; never shoot unless it is a lay-up, regardless of the circumstances. Geno is right-on here. Maybe Anna will show her the way. I mean, what is to lose against Memphis, etc.? If Aubrey isn't 100% more productive by March, the team will be stuck as well.

Reaction Score
During the NY State semifinals I posted a short video of Aubrey schooling a defender with a move that was pure James Harden. She set her up by a couple quick dribbles toward the basket, then went behind her back to a step-back jumper from 20 feet which she drained. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find that video. It was a thing of beauty.

While driving to the basket is certainly her strength, she has the skill set to score from anywhere in a variety of ways. Aubrey can be somewhat streaky from the arc. But so to was Megan until she worked to improve her shooting mechanics.
Yes .. I have seen Aubrey's killer step-back jumper in high school and a myriad of other moves which, so far, she has been unable to 'show off' in college. Is it the coaching staff? Or is it Aubrey? I know for a fact that AG has similar prowess on offense that she has shown on defense & rebounding. You'll see! :)

Reaction Score
Super job! But he was a tad like Geno in the respect that his teams were always stacked. Hazzard’s team was his first title after many years as a coach. He had Indiana heritage. He could win with any type of player. The press was revolutionary. I’m more a fan of the Wicks-Rowe team. The Celtics ended up with both of them. They beat Artis Gilmore. Remember Steve Patterson?
How about his last championship? That’s how it’s going to look for Geno. Geno’s going to win with a team like that, a team that’s not overwhelming favorites. This year or next year.
Yes .. exactly my point [which is] that Wooden's genius was that he could win with any type of player. Yes, you can call it Indiana heritage.
And yes, the Hazzard/Goodrich zone press, the 2-2-1, WAS revolutionary. Imagine now a 'revolutionary' UConn 2-2-1 zone press with Aubrey and Mir on top and Liv at the back to block layups. Aubrey and Mir are relatively [notice I said relatively] taller, longer and quicker than Hazzard&Goodrich and therefore could create immeasurably more havoc than UCLA's vaunted zone press, eh?
If a BIG team like Baylor cannot advance the ball, then their 'bigs' are effectively neutralised.
It should also be noted that if the ball was [occasionally] advanced against the press, no college team could outrebound the trio of Aubrey, Mir & Liv. Best of both worlds!
At any rate, something fun to dream about...

Reaction Score
I agree .. think it's time for "baptism by fire" ... let's throw fer into the deep end of the pool ... eh?
Who are these other people? It’s the complete game that gets you on court.

Reaction Score
Yes .. exactly my point [which is] that Wooden's genius was that he could win with any type of player. Yes, you can call it Indiana heritage.
And yes, the Hazzard/Goodrich zone press, the 2-2-1, WAS revolutionary. Imagine now a 'revolutionary' UConn 2-2-1 zone press with Aubrey and Mir on top and Liv at the back to block layups. Aubrey and Mir are relatively [notice I said relatively] taller, longer and quicker than Hazzard&Goodrich and therefore could create immeasurably more havoc than UCLA's vaunted zone press, eh?
If a BIG team like Baylor cannot advance the ball, then their 'bigs' are effectively neutralised.
It should also be noted that if the ball was [occasionally] advanced against the press, no college team could outrebound the trio of Aubrey, Mir & Liv. Best of both worlds!
At any rate, something fun to dream about...
100% Come to Alaska and I'll buy you a beer.
Even pulling bigs further from the basket can help neutralize them. The philosophy behind Bobbly Knight/ Coach K man to man is it that stresses pressure on the ball and denial of the wings, thus forcing bigs to come higher to provide pressure release.
Sometimes the thing that gets a veteran coach to change is the necessity of getting a player more playing time. Maybe he'll see that the way to get Aubrey and even Ania more time is to start playing full court basketball. (I was actually screaming for this last year. Especially when defenses figured out how to shut down KLS.)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The Memphis game illustrated why Geno is not giving Aubrey more court time (and in a close game such as Memphis cannot afford to do so).

Her upper body strength is, if anything, less adequate than Olivia's. She seems to be able to pull down contested rebounds by going up higher than anyone else to get them, but she cannot hold onto them against physically strong opponents. And for some reason that I can't totally figure out, her leaping ability that gets all those rebounds somehow doesn't work to get her putback shot up against the same opponents that she just beat for a rebound. All her putback attempts were getting stuffed, and (at least against Memphis) her drives to the basket were looking good until her layup got blocked.

I think Liv's ability to get and hold onto rebounds is actually better than Aubrey's, although Aubrey seems to get to more rebounds than Liv.

Reaction Score
The Memphis game illustrated why Geno is not giving Aubrey more court time (and in a close game such as Memphis cannot afford to do so).

Her upper body strength is, if anything, less adequate than Olivia's. She seems to be able to pull down contested rebounds by going up higher than anyone else to get them, but she cannot hold onto them against physically strong opponents. And for some reason that I can't totally figure out, her leaping ability that gets all those rebounds somehow doesn't work to get her putback shot up against the same opponents that she just beat for a rebound. All her putback attempts were getting stuffed, and (at least against Memphis) her drives to the basket were looking good until her layup got blocked.

I think Liv's ability to get and hold onto rebounds is actually better than Aubrey's, although Aubrey seems to get to more rebounds than Liv.
The ball weighs too much.

Reaction Score
As far as I can tell, no one on the Boneyard has mentioned Geno's comments about Aubrey towards the end of his Houston postgame press conference. I found them surprising and telling.

His basic comment was that he wished Aubrey had the mentality of a talented male basketball player coming to college for his "one and done" year. He said that guy's attitude would be, "I'm going to shoot all the time and score 25 so they will draft me in the top 10 at the end of the year." Instead of that, he said Aubrey's attitude was all about being concerned to fit in with her teammates and do what the offense called for. She tries so hard to play within the offense and be mindful of her teammates that her play becomes tentative.

There's a little psychological gamesmanship here, especially in the context of the similar message that he delivered to Anna, in that case using a Polish NBA player as the comparison. He wants both of them to play more confidently and less tentatively. He made it sound as if he didn't care whether they thought of their teammates or played within the offense.

Of course, he doesn't really mean that, and I think they know it. He even backed off slightly from his comments about Aubrey, saying later that he would like her to play like a one-and-done male player "in some ways, not all". And they can both be sure that they would have hell to pay if they really did play selfishly. What he wants is for them to be SOMEWHAT more selfish and less team-oriented, not completely, i.e., to find the right balance rather than being overbalanced toward systematic team play.

I once had a boss like that -- he told me not to be tentative or defensive, but if I non-tentatively did something that he disagreed with, he let me know about it in no uncertain terms, asking how I could do such a dumb thing. I found it very hard to deal with that, and I'm guessing that Anna and Aubrey have the same difficulty.

His last comment about Aubrey was that if she could overcome her tentativeness in the next month or two, it would make the team 100% better. "That's how good she is." It's not like he doesn't recognize her talent.
Some times Geno can be very crude but its only because he sees the talent in them and when you have a team like he has this year you can't wait a long time for them to get what he is talking about he needs them now and thats tough.He is use to sitting them on the bench and work them into the line up.Tina Charles was not that good until junior year and then she got what Geno was saying.
Tennessee is going to be a big test for us.With players we have coming and only really losing one player and Westbrook playing next year you could have two first teams,one on the bench and one on the floor.The experience they are getting this year is invaluable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom