Geno: No need to panic | The Boneyard

Geno: No need to panic

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Mechele: "But there is the peanut gallery for every fan base, and those folks will always see the sky falling."

Oh, to have the peanut vending franchise on this board!

Peanuts! Hot peanuts! Getcher peanuts here. Every bag says 'Sky'sa fallin!'

image.jpeg

Reaction Score
Did they forget to mention the part where most of the fanbase that complains about the losses is complaining about how uncompetitive the losses seemed and how complacent some players get in big game situations? Nobody is questioning Geno or CD, they're questioning what happened to the those great players in those big games. Geno is still the mastermind and CD still the magic behind the curtain that keeps this program as a final four contender year after year. UConn is just in a "down" year (by UConn standards). Sorry Geno, you set the standard high and now everyone wants it to be the norm rather than the notably impressive exception it realistically should be.

Reaction Score
The more I read about the reactions to the things that Geno says the more I realize just how much this is as a commentary on us today. In politics, entertainment, sports, in the workplace. Something is said and immediately, instead of just looking at it in the context in which it's said, we start taking sides, over examining each word, analyzing the words and the person, and, more often than not, making a mountain out of a molehill. The young ladies who chose to come to Uconn and play for Geno know exactly what they are coming into. The difficulty of the practices may come as a surprise but the social media railroad has given them enough background and knowledge about who they will be playing for. If they are ready and willing to accept it I believe, from statements of the majority of former players, they will thrive in the long run.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A good article.

We all know the top 3 teams - South Carolina, Baylor and Oregon. After that, any one any one of 5 or 6 teams could be a #1. And UConn is right there.

So to our "negative nellies" or as some call them, "couch coaches", have at it.

Reaction Score
Jamelle may be a key to some needed changes. I think she's already had an effect on Olivia, who played quite well against SC. And maybe she can instill some of that grit that made her such a force years ago. This team has no grit, no anger. the only time you see some excitement, some enthusiasm, is on the bench when someone makes a three.

Reaction Score
There's one foolproof way to know that things are going really, really, REALLY well. That's when the hardcore (and even some medium-core) fans can tell you, usually in detail, about every loss their beloved program has suffered over some arbitrary, albeit long, period of time. I'll bet, for example, there are those on this board who can tell us every UConn loss over the past decade. The reason those fans can do that is simple: There are so few losses. On the other hand, I doubt anyone could tell us about every win.

Lots of things, hard to remember. Not many things, easier to remember. That's why it's easy for me to remember my birthday.

This isn't a glass half-empty/half-full situation. Our glass has been so full we've had to get a bigger glass...more than once.

These are the best of times. Any visitors care to stand up right here, right now and say they wouldn't trade their team's record and near term prospects for ours? These are not the worst of times.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The insinuation: "What is wrong with UConn?"

Pardon me, but I am literally laughing out loud.

I'm sure 95 percent of college coaches would love to have UConn's "problems," which entail losses to No. 1 South Carolina, No. 3 Oregon and No. 6 Baylor.

Reaction Score
I am not panicking. I am complaining that against BAY, SCAR and ORE we were uncompetitive. I got a taste of UConn playing in the days of Sandra Hamm, Wanda Flora and Jean Balthazar. All this when recruitment is more finicky than a Brahmin choosing his food.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I am not panicking. I am complaining that against BAY, SCAR and ORE we were uncompetitive. I got a taste of UConn playing in the days of Sandra Hamm, Wanda Flora and Jean Balthazar. All this when recruitment is more finicky than a Brahmin choosing his food.
Oh, there are much more recent examples than the Balthazar years.

Reaction Score

Good post. I remember when UConn's men, (there was no women's program) got an invite to the NIT after many years of being a mediocrity in the Yankee conference. That was back when all the games were played in the garden. I was one of the students who filled 35 buses, partied all the way to NYC and cheered our team in the loss even though we knew they had little chance of going far. I am much more of a wbb fan now.
There is absolutely no correlation between the level of fandom and the honest appraisal of a team's positives and negatives. As soon as any sport puts up a turnstile at the entrance they are selling entertainment and must accept that they open themselves to criticism.

Reaction Score
Did they forget to mention the part where most of the fanbase that complains about the losses is complaining about how uncompetitive the losses seemed and how complacent some players get in big game situations? Nobody is questioning Geno or CD, they're questioning what happened to the those great players in those big games. Geno is still the mastermind and CD still the magic behind the curtain that keeps this program as a final four contender year after year. UConn is just in a "down" year (by UConn standards). Sorry Geno, you set the standard high and now everyone wants it to be the norm rather than the notably impressive exception it realistically should be.

I’m not sure complacency is involved at all. Imo we simply have some players that have not yet learned how to play well in pressure situations. The problem is that we have had a lot of players here that had the “pressure gene” and now we expect all of our highly ranked players to perform their best under pressure. This is simply an unrealistic expectation! Some players (Dee, Stevie, Maya) excell under pressure naturally, others may develop that ability, and others may never be able to handle it! We have several players for whom the jury is still out in that respect. Unfortunately, those players are the main scorers and leaders of this team. All we can hope for, is that they will develop that ability and be able to play up to their ability in the big games. Having said that, It is not something to look down on them for because I believe they are trying to do their best in these games but for some reason are just unable to get the magnitude of the game out of their head. As long as they keep doing that (trying their best) they have my support and admiration!

Reaction Score
If Boot Camp was PI? Had to laugh at that.
Oct., 1953. Seems like only yesterday the DI's were shaking our hands and telling us how great it was to meet us and wondering if there was anything they could do to make us comfortable.

Reaction Score
Good post. I remember when UConn's men, (there was no women's program) got an invite to the NIT after many years of being a mediocrity in the Yankee conference. That was back when all the games were played in the garden. I was one of the students who filled 35 buses, partied all the way to NYC and cheered our team in the loss even though we knew they had little chance of going far. I am much more of a wbb fan now.
There is absolutely no correlation between the level of fandom and the honest appraisal of a team's positives and negatives. As soon as any sport puts up a turnstile at the entrance they are selling entertainment and must accept that they open themselves to criticism.
Oh yea Alydar, I remember when if a team was offered the Ncaa or NIT it wasn't even a question - they chose the NIT.

Reaction Score
Oh yea Alydar, I remember when if a team was offered the Ncaa or NIT it wasn't even a question - they chose the NIT.

I was just a kid in those days, but I do remember when conferences could send only one team to the NCAA's and as a result the NIT was a much better tournament, loaded with elite teams.

Reaction Score
Highlighted a key word. Unless a poster can cite a player or players saying things like, "Yeah, big games, no biggie" or "Being competitive is over rated," using or implying "seem" says something about the poster and nothing about the team.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Does "calm" and "unpanicked" equal "complacent"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom