Geno - Missing in Income | The Boneyard

Geno - Missing in Income

Reaction Score
I just ran across a Money Magazine article listing highest public employee salaries by state. The first state listed is Alabama with Nick Saban’s salary listed at $8,857,000. A quick scan down the list shows this is the highest public salary in the country.

Sliding down a few states to Connecticut, I find Randy Edsall listed as the highest salary at $1,606,000. The second highest public salary in CT is a School of medicine professor at $400,00 and the third highest is the Dean of the School of Medicine at $390,000.

Where’s Geno???!!! Did he not take his salary this year? And if so why wouldn’t Money list him with an asterisk and give him the status and credit he deserves?

Reaction Score
I see Geno listed HERE as #1 currently:
screen-shot-2020-09-27-at-6-22-38-pm-png.59128

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.22.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.22.38 PM.png
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,590

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno makes a base salary of 400k (paid by the state) plus appearance, consulting, and speaking fees for $2 million. I believe the $2 million is from donation and other income to the Athletic Dept so only the 400k counts for state-paid income lists

Reaction Score
Thank you, Nan.

I’m glad a large portion of his income is donations. I think he is worth every penny and more, but it’s nice to know most of it is not tax dollars.

Reaction Score
Husky Nan is correct. Every big name coach at a state University receives a base pay. Their pension is based on the base pay. The athletic/University Development division (fund raising) is responsible for the additional amount the coach is paid. This amount may be guaranteed to the coach and in his/her contract, but it is not paid directly by the University/State. Many things could be tied into the contract, such as housing allowance, vehicles, use of private jets, etc. In addition, a certain number of public appearances, television spots and other PR requirements could be in the mix.

I'm sure Saban's deal is the same, a small base salary, then a lot of fluff. I think the state of Alabama likes to flaunt his high salary, but they are not paying it all. How would you like to receive a 50% pension on $8 million?

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Husky Nan is correct. Every big name coach at a state University receives a base pay. Their pension is based on the base pay. The athletic/University Development division (fund raising) is responsible for the additional amount the coach is paid. This amount may be guaranteed to the coach and in his/her contract, but it is not paid directly by the University/State. Many things could be tied into the contract, such as housing allowance, vehicles, use of private jets, etc. In addition, a certain number of public appearances, television spots and other PR requirements could be in the mix.

I'm sure Saban's deal is the same, a small base salary, then a lot of fluff. I think the state of Alabama likes to flaunt his high salary, but they are not paying it all. How would you like to receive a 50% pension on $8 million?
Exactly so. An article in the local paper the other day was documenting the impact of "no fans" at the upcoming PAC football season here at Arizona, and they were breaking down percentages of income and expenses generated and expended by the athletic department. The 2 categories that I thought were likely somewhat obscure to most folks was expenses paying non-conference teams to play in Tucson and - as Nan indicated - "portion of coaches salaries not paid by school", which was substantial. I know at Rutgers (at one time, at least) Nike paid a significant part of Vivian's salary.

Reaction Score
And we still subsidize Alabama.
Whether it's subsidized or not. If Alabama football made what UConn football makes. Saban wouldn't have the salary he has right now.

Reaction Score
I can guarantee you that whatever yearly salary he is getting, no matter where it is coming from, cannot begin to compare to the amount of not only money but (and don't discount how much revenue this brings in) the goodwill this program has brought to our state university. Incidentally, Alabama was a football school long before Nice Saban ever got there. I believe a coach named Bryant won a few titles. Geno, on the other hand, came into a program that had the coaches washing uniforms to save money, without any television money, and a cast of dozens viewing the games.

Reaction Score
As a related comment, a few years ago there was a survey of the assistant's compensation in women's college basketball. UConn was at the top with Geno taking great pride that he had convinced the University to pay him AND his coaches at the high end of the competitive salary range. Suspect that with some of the big names coming to new jobs the past 2 years there are more in this range but knowing Geno he still keeps his coaches in mind when discussing compensation with the administration.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom