Geno Mic'd Up | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Mic'd Up

Reaction Score
It’s easier to tone down aggressiveness in a player than to dredge it up from within them
Agreed.

Please allow me to expand on several posters on this board. After extensive OI (organic intelligence) research I believe the "Nika does not start" arguments can be boiled down as follows:

1. Nika doesn't score enough
2. Nika isn't Paige

First, I'd like to see Nika score 1 or 2 more baskets per game (without hurting her shooting %). Scoring more than that really isn't needed with the talent on this team. Instead Nika needs to keep going Nika things among which is setting assist records and being the 2x BE DPOY.

Second, none of the other 13 players are Paige. So, don't start anyone who is not Paige is really weak. But, but, but, but Paige is a better PG than Nika. Yeah right, but she's also a better SG guard than any of the other 13 players on the team. She's also probably a better SF than anyone else on the team. I firmly believe UConn loses nothing with Paige in the SG position. I also believe SG is the best position for Azzi. Unless there's a real good reason for not starting 3 guards, that leaves the PG open for Nika. And I don't want Paige running her buttocks off trying to hassle the opposing PG bringing the ball up court. That's Nika's job, which she does pretty well.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to seen the arc on Nika's made 3 in the video. It got cut off. It seems to me she has a very high arc, especially when compared to very good perimeter shooters.

Reaction Score
No I don’t believe so. She has said she has t been cleared for uncontained full court 5 on 5… this was definitely halfcourt drill work.

The enthusiasm and energy they showed for a drill fooled me into thinking it was 5X5.
This is where players show the coaches that they can hit certain shots. I remember Griffin taking a 3 early in her freshman season and the announcer commenting that she had the coaches' OK to shoot them. Every shot they take in these drills is recorded. Right now UConn will have many offensive options when they run motion. That may not even be needed because with the depth they have UConn can play max energy for 40 minutes, something that wasn't an option the last 2 seasons. I used to love watching UConn's defense pressure the ball. Not really pressing, but using traps and rotation to force the offense to react to them rather than sitting and reacting to the offense. It burns a lot of energy and looking at the roster energy is something Geno has in abundanza.

Reaction Score
I would have liked to seen the arc on Nika's made 3 in the video. It got cut off. It seems to me she has a very high arc, especially when compared to very good perimeter shooters.
Her game shots have been the same. I think she learned it to get shots off over taller players. Tiff Hayes had a rainbow 3 and KML's arc was simply perfect.
Agreed.

Please allow me to expand on several posters on this board. After extensive OI (organic intelligence) research I believe the "Nika does not start" arguments can be boiled down as follows:

1. Nika doesn't score enough
2. Nika isn't Paige

First, I'd like to see Nika score 1 or 2 more baskets per game (without hurting her shooting %). Scoring more than that really isn't needed with the talent on this team. Instead Nika needs to keep going Nika things among which is setting assist records and being the 2x BE DPOY.

Second, none of the other 13 players are Paige. So, don't start anyone who is not Paige is really weak. But, but, but, but Paige is a better PG than Nika. Yeah right, but she's also a better SG guard than any of the other 13 players on the team. She's also probably a better SF than anyone else on the team. I firmly believe UConn loses nothing with Paige in the SG position. I also believe SG is the best position for Azzi. Unless there's a real good reason for not starting 3 guards, that leaves the PG open for Nika. And I don't want Paige running her buttocks off trying to hassle the opposing PG bringing the ball up court. That's Nika's job, which she does pretty well.

1. You got it wrong. It isn't about Muhl not being good enough. It's about the best 5 players to start. There are three guards proven as starters. You would start all three. Geno has done that. But it wasn't because he loves guards so much, he did it because those 5 were his best and most complete group. My starting team starts with Edwards, Bueckers & Fudd. A PF and what are essentially two combo-guards, both of whom are long, have outstanding ball skills, are great passers and who are 2 of the three best perimeter shooters in wcbb. With the guard positions in capable hands I now have to pick the other two starters. Edwards needs help in the post and the bigger the better. The options are Brady, Deberry, Patterson, El Alfy. The other need is for a defensive player who is a scorer, a facilitator and a rebounder. Griffin, Patterson. I'm leaving out the true freshmen.

Available players: guards: Muhl, Bettencourt wings: Griffin, Ducharme, posts: Brady, Deberry, El Alfy, Patterson

Pick two to start. I see a greater need for a post and a wing than for a third guard.

You put your team together by starting with Muhl and then putting Edwards Bueckers and Fudd in, leaving one spot to fill two holes.

Reaction Score
One thing I gotta say, is he is 1,000% right that you should call out the person's name if you want them to pass you the ball. This used to annoy the crap out of me when I played in high school...guys would constantly say everything BUT the ball handler's name, like 'DUDE', or 'BALL', or the ever-popular 'YOYOYO!'. Then everyone would be pissed off and dour when we turned the ball over!

It's a recipe for chaos.

Reaction Score
correction: recovering from injuries. Also recovering from injuries: Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Brady. They are just further along on their recoveries.
Sounds good to me! Let the healing continue! Z

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It's not always about putting the best 5 players on the floor, its more about 5 players that play well together. Of course, Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah will start. Nika has played with them in and out for 2 years so she should be there. The next starter can be any of the others. Dorka played well with them last year, so my guess is that Ice may fit that bill. Off the bench, a good scorer like Caroline can replace Nika or Azzi, not to mention Aubrey, and they will keep the defense occupied outside as Jana, Yanna, and maybe Amari can spell Ice and Aaliyah. From there, KK, Ashlynn, Enes, will fill in later in the game if we are in control. Of course, as the season progresses, the names may change in the substitution pattern. With so many potentially really good players it will take a few games to sort everything out, but the bottom line is-we will be great.

Reaction Score
Nika has played with them in and out for 2 years so she should be there.
That's not a good enough reason to just automatically include her.

Reaction Score
That's not a good enough reason to just automatically include her.
Perhaps having the recently minted three category Uconn assist record holder on the court with our three best scorers who is always looking to set her teammates up to score would be a persuasive argument with a bonus that she has been and would be the head of the snake of our return to an aggressive defense. I would suggest a slight edit to Bald Huskie's line above, Nika has played very effectively with them in and out for 2 years and great chemistry matters so she should be there.

I agree Geno isn't going to automatically include anyone. Specifically in Nika's case we know that to be true, remember how he said if she didn't change going into this season he would sit her ass down even if he had no other guards? Then he added if she does what the team needs her to do and that he knows she can do she will have an exceptional season. She accepted and delivered on the challenge in spades and he has acknowledged more than once that she has grown tremendously on and off the court and the impact that that has had on the teams' success. So she has and will again earn her spot in the starting five.

Last edited:

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
KK with the stiff arm :) She’s going to break some hearts as a Husky. Love the aggressiveness of this freshman class!
Using the elbow to fend off a defender or clear a path as she drives . . . is that strictly legal? I'm not sure about that.

Reaction Score
Perhaps having the recently minted three category Uconn assist record holder on the court with our three best scorers who is always looking to set her teammates up to score would be a persuasive argument with a bonus that she has been and would be the head of the snake of our return to an aggressive defense. I would suggest a slight edit to Bald Husky's line above, Nika has played very effectively with them in and out for 2 years and great chemistry matters so she should be there.

I agree Geno isn't going to automatically include anyone. Specifically in Nika's case we know that to be true, remember how he said if she didn't change going into this season he would sit her ass down even if he had no other guards? Then he added if she does what the team needs her to do and that he knows she can do she will have an exceptional season. She accepted and delivered on the challenge in spades and he has acknowledged more than once that she has grown tremendously on and off the court and the impact that that has had on the teams' success. So she has and will again earn her spot in the starting five.

And without her those three still include the best pg in wcbb and the likely three top scorers for UConn this season also. So what is lost? Those three need help in the front court far more than they need another guard.

I agree with everything you say about Muhl. UConn will have a three-headed monster at guard this coming season. I just think they will play 2 at a time most of the time unlike their namesake.
images.jpg

Reaction Score
Yall are focused on the shot you seen in the highlight clip. What about the shots she missed that wasn't on film. Nika is an ok shooter who needs to fix her form. She needs a consistent stop and shoot jumper, she can work on making shots with a hand in her face. She also want to work on coming off a screen squaring up and knocking it down. But what Geno said her shot is looking better this summer hope it can translate to the season

Reaction Score
And without her those three still include the best pg in wcbb and the likely three top scorers for UConn this season also. So what is lost? Those three need help in the front court far more than they need another guard.

I agree with everything you say about Muhl. UConn will have a three-headed monster at guard this coming season. I just think they will play 2 at a time most of the time unlike their namesake. View attachment 89324
And therein lies the debate that cannot be won. I believe more often than not Geno goes with 3 guards. He will not have Paige or Azzi running their tails off harassing the opposing PG to chew seconds off of the shot clock when he has the BE DPOY to do that. If Edwards and the best 5th option can't handle the front court then Geno can and will go with different line ups.

I also think there's a chance (maybe not a big chance) that if Nika needs a breather that we will see KK, Shade, or Ines play PG before we see Paige play PG. Playing PG is just a dumb way to manage Paige's energy budget when she's just as good, or maybe even better, as a SG.

Oh BTW, I don't know if it's obvious, but it's my opinion that Nika, Paige, Azzi, Edwards and the best 5th player ARE the best 5 players that you can put on the court.

Reaction Score
She has always been a decent outside shooter when she is wide open and has the time to square up and plant her feet. I'll be impressed when one of the coaches says "I'm shocked when she misses. I assume that every time she shoots it's going in". When the coaches say that I'll consider her a likely starter.
Hmmm, I don't recall hearing that particular comment by anyone referring to Mo during her 9.9ppg career here, yet she's considered one of the very best to play the position at UConn (my opinion, the best - I love defense and she has a big edge there). I don't think that position, using #4 as an easy example, needs to produce 15 ppg....it needs to provide leadership, communication, defense, toughness, intensity, confidence and everything else that keeps the other four in the right mindset and producing. First, I think there's no question she's on the floor to start games this year, as long as the team produces and continues to function to expectations. Second, I wonder who the replacement will be next year - because those are some big qualities that are going to be missed when she leaves.

Reaction Score
Mo demoralized SC in one game when she grabbed the rebound under the opposing basket and beat everyone else down the court -- even Cuevas, who was supposed at the time to be quicker. She could do stuff like that.

Nika isn't nearly as speedy as Mo. But she also knows how to make the morale-breaking play at the right moment, whether it's the dagger they dared her to shoot, or the quick-step drive to the hoop. It's not that she's a great offensive player. She's good enough and can be a heady one. And I hope she develops that midrange jumper this summer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom