Geno Leaving; well no, but what if? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Leaving; well no, but what if?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I can't even imagine Dianna. I think she'd turn off a lot of would be recruits and their families because she is 10 times as abrasive as Geno at his worst. She's so cocky and arrogant (or at least appears to be) and I don't feel she has the makeup to handle anyone that doesn't play the game the way she feels it should be. Please don't compare her attitudes and intensity with Geno. Geno has appreciably more finesse and he knows who he can needle and push and who needs a different approach. I don't think Dianna is capable of the appropriate psychology to use to get what she would need out of a particular kid, the way Geno can and does. Give me Jennifer Rizzotti or Shea anytime over Dianna. As someone mentioned, Maya, down the road, would be a fantastic coach if she were interested. She has a wonderful temperament that would win over just about any recruit and their family and her basketball acumen is off the charts.
Woah. Diana is a great teammate, so I don't know where you are getting that she doesn't have the makeup to handle anyone that doesn't play the game the way she feels it should be. And actually, Geno is the one who has no tolerance for that. Every player says he holds them to a standard of play, regardless of what's on the scoreboard. Diana is the same way. That's why they fought so much and why I believe she is his all-time favorite player...they are exactly alike. And really? Ten times as abrasive as Geno? No way. Diana to me always looks like she's having fun playing. Sure she gets in trouble in the WNBA and gets technicals, but so does Geno. And her teammates love her, as do Geno's players.

And I disagree about Maya. Not saying she wouldn't be a good coach, but Diana is a point guard and runs the team when she's out there. She thinks like a coach. Maya is so physically talented and athletic that it might be harder for someone like her to explain the game, just because it comes so naturally to her. I've heard that often about talented players...they don't always make the best coaches. Maya would be a great recruiter and motivator, but I think Diana would be a helluva coach.

Reaction Score
I agree with sarals24, the most talented players aren't always the best choices for coaching vacancies- they didn't have to study the game as closely as lesser gifted players had to. Plus I think it is hard when you're naturally gifted to communicate exactly what you want a player to do in a certain situation when you've never had to think about it, you just did it.

I think Shea or Carla would make a very good HC. On the other hand there may be someone out there totally unconnected to UConn who could continue the Huskies' winning ways by the time Geno is ready to hang up his sneakers- UConn would be wise to keep their eyes & ears open, alumni aren't always the best choices either.

Reaction Score
I agree with sarals24, the most talented players aren't always the best choices for coaching vacancies- they didn't have to study the game as closely as lesser gifted players had to. Plus I think it is hard when you're naturally gifted to communicate exactly what you want a player to do in a certain situation when you've never had to think about it, you just did it.

I think Shea or Carla would make a very good HC. On the other hand there may be someone out there totally unconnected to UConn who could continue the Huskies' winning ways by the time Geno is ready to hang up his sneakers- UConn would be wise to keep their eyes & ears open, alumni aren't always the best choices either.
I agree and I agree with Buzzyboy too.

G

genosguy

I guess this is the bottom of the barrel of off season boring time. So what if Geno flat out said "That's it?" As of right now whom would you pick to replace him, assuming CD wants to stay in the shadows? Don't speculate whether the preson would want the job, or couldn't break contract, just choose your best.

I would take Shea. I think she would be tough enough, has the passion and enough experience to keep the tradition going. She's pretty young, but I really like her attitude.

You're choice?
I dread the day and it's coming much too soon. I think that if Christine, with Shea and Marissa, don't take the job then Uconn would be smart to go outside for a Say--a Walz of Louisville. He has the record. Has turned mediocre players into better players. I think of him as a baby Geno and learning. Incest of internal promoting is some times good but it stagnate the pool. Yet Shea and Marissa have outside experience.

G

genosguy

IMHO, Geno will depart after 2016 Gold and NC # 11 and Stewie gets #4.....
With anyone putting a date on perceived exit date for GENO--why would a talented player even think of going to Uconn. And think of the field day SC, Tenn, Duke, ND or stanford have telling potential recruits---"Geno is going--you don't know who will be coaching Uconn in 2 years". This is a good subject for Uconn Fans not to diddle with. Geno will up and quit with only a few months before the coming season, if he is smart.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Obviously the hypothetical wouldn't happen. But let's say Geno did unexpectedly have to leave, possibly as an unfortunate result of health issues. I do think that, if given a choice, Geno will announce at some point that a given year will be his last, and he'll work with Warde (or whoever is Athletic Director by then) to map out and execute and optimal transition plan. However, if Geno's health forced him to leave abruptly, Chris Dailey would be immediately assigned to the position of interim HC until a permanent plan was in place. And mark my words: if she did coach UConn to even one national championship while Stewie's on board, she would be the permanent HC if she wanted to be. I don't know how long she would coach, but my guess is that, if all of this happened now, it'd be 10-15 years.

Bottom line, CD would have the personnel capable of winning the national championship, she would know how to coach a championship season, and she'd deserve the credit for her role even before she became interim HC.

Meanwhile, I can only see an alumna being the next HC if it's part of well-conceived and well-executed transition plan. If there's an immediate need to replace Geno, it HAS to be CD, at minimum on an interim basis. She's been Geno's right-hand woman since 1985, whereas Shea's been a coach since 2008 and Marissa since 2009. There's really no comparison. CD helped Geno build a national champion from Ground Zero in 10 years, and she helped him forge a dynasty from 1995 on. She gets enough of the benefit of the doubt to have an immediate crack at it, in my view.

Reaction Score
Walz.
Would someone like Waltz or Staley automatically jump at the chance? They already have pretty high-profile gigs, and following Geno has a lot of downside potential while there's not much you could do to top him.

Reaction Score
But no with all honesty....I think CD would be a fantastic replacement! I dont really follow you all's program that closely but from the outside looking in Ms CD seems like a very likeable person and would make a great head coach! Also Shea Ralph....she gives me the "hard nosed" "no nonsense" type....definitely head coach material!

Reaction Score
This is all interesting, but my original question was "assuming CD wanted to stay in the shadows". I was surprised, not much interest in Jen, some in Shea and Marissa. Most lean to an alumni.
Some said Walz, interesting choice I hadn't though of, maybe a very good one.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This is all interesting, but my original question was "assuming CD wanted to stay in the shadows". I was surprised, not much interest in Jen, some in Shea and Marissa. Most lean to an alumni.
Some said Walz, interesting choice I hadn't though of, maybe a very good one.

A) Your original question may have been to exclude CD, but the premise of the OP is beyond implausible.
B) Everyone loves Jennifer, Shea, and Marissa, but CD would be the more likely savior of this program. Long-time associate HC Holly Warlick filled in for Pat Summitt at Tennessee, and having the Associate HC entering her 30th season at UConn would be even more of a necessity here.
C) Walz wouldn't be a bad choice, but it's almost as implausible as the premise of the OP.
D) As Kibitzer would say, ahem, The grammatically correct term is "alumna". :)

Reaction Score
Would someone like Waltz or Staley automatically jump at the chance? They already have pretty high-profile gigs, and following Geno has a lot of downside potential while there's not much you could do to top him.
Probably not, but the OP said "don't speculate whether the preson would want the job, or couldn't break contract, just choose your best." Still, if I were the UConn AD and CD doesn't want to take over, I'd be recruiting both Walz and Staley pretty hard. If we're out of the American by then, it might be possible.

Reaction Score
With anyone putting a date on perceived exit date for GENO--why would a talented player even think of going to Uconn. And think of the field day SC, Tenn, Duke, ND or stanford have telling potential recruits---"Geno is going--you don't know who will be coaching Uconn in 2 years". This is a good subject for Uconn Fans not to diddle with. Geno will up and quit with only a few months before the coming season, if he is smart.
There was a lot of talk on the men's side about when Jim Calhoun would leave and what the results would be, CATASTROPHIC! Look what's happened, instead. Another title and a great coach in Kevin Ollie. The men are still getting the same type recruits that JC did, meaning not Top 10 kids but the typical top 30 or so that Calhoun had gotten over his 28 years. With some pretty good coaches on his staff I don't think there's a need to start cowering in fear that the women's program would quickly die a horrible death. I don't know if it's possible for anyone to come in and have the level of success that Geno has had but never say never. Even if there were a drop off, would it be such a precipitous drop off that the Boneyard would wither away???? I think not!

Reaction Score
Obviously the hypothetical wouldn't happen. But let's say Geno did unexpectedly have to leave, possibly as an unfortunate result of health issues. I do think that, if given a choice, Geno will announce at some point that a given year will be his last, and he'll work with Warde (or whoever is Athletic Director by then) to map out and execute and optimal transition plan. However, if Geno's health forced him to leave abruptly, Chris Dailey would be immediately assigned to the position of interim HC until a permanent plan was in place. And mark my words: if she did coach UConn to even one national championship while Stewie's on board, she would be the permanent HC if she wanted to be. I don't know how long she would coach, but my guess is that, if all of this happened now, it'd be 10-15 years.

Bottom line, CD would have the personnel capable of winning the national championship, she would know how to coach a championship season, and she'd deserve the credit for her role even before she became interim HC.

Meanwhile, I can only see an alumna being the next HC if it's part of well-conceived and well-executed transition plan. If there's an immediate need to replace Geno, it HAS to be CD, at minimum on an interim basis. She's been Geno's right-hand woman since 1985, whereas Shea's been a coach since 2008 and Marissa since 2009. There's really no comparison. CD helped Geno build a national champion from Ground Zero in 10 years, and she helped him forge a dynasty from 1995 on. She gets enough of the benefit of the doubt to have an immediate crack at it, in my view.
She's been such an integral part of the program and all the girls know it and respect her for it. She's so highly involved in every aspect of the program, from recruiting to drills to game plans that she's Geno B almost. There is no question that Geno would not have had the success that he's had at UConn were it not for Chris. He's stated as much on numerous occasions and that's one of the reasons she's felt no need to go elsewhere despite the offers she's had. She's gotten the respect from Geno and everyone around the program knows what a significant role she's played over the years. They've made a most remarkable team and it's possible that down the road, probably at least another eight to ten years, that they'll leave together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom