Geno kills the traditional post player in WBB | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno kills the traditional post player in WBB

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I agree with your analysis. While we tend to focus on Wilson & Coates, they were not the real problem for the Gamecocks last night,

Gray, Davis & Harris were a combined 7-28 (25%) from the floor, and an anemic 3-17 from 3. We had heard so much about Gray & Davis in particular that I was truly concerned that they would make the Huskies pay a price when they tried to double-team Wilson & Coates.

With no one to take the pressure off from outside UConn could swarm SC's bigs all night long.

Exactly. I thought our guards would get more shots to drop last night. The funny thing is that they got plenty of open looks but couldn't get barely anything to go through. I think Davis and Gray spent so much energy trying to take KLS out of the equation that it threw them off offensively. If just a few more of their shots had fallen the complexion of last night's game would've been different in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Agree with most of your points, but would point out that you can play zone in the NBA so long as you don't camp in the lane.

Jabbar is my exhibit A on what has changed in basketball. When he played the Lakers would dump the ball into him over & over again and he would shoot skyhook after skyhook over some hapless defender.

Griner is Exhibit B. She was the most dominant player in WBB for the 4 yrs she played at Baylor and they only won a single national championship.

One final point, and this may be sacrilegious, given the importance Geno places on athletic, multi-skilled BIGS, he might not have recruited Tina Charles out of HS, although she developed tremendously throughout her time at UConn and into the pros.

Not religion of any kind--that's what Geno does with player who have a modicum of talent--Tina was a work in progress for 2 plus year as were many successful players (Gabby??). Although I though UCLA's lew Alcindor was a great a talent as Kareem!!
In terms of athletic--and not bulky--Lew Alcindor was very effective--and after he took the hook away from Yale's hook expert Tony LaValli he became effective. The Pro's early teams had smaller pretty mobile centers, for the time, today we'd call them slow. Not so Lew
Alcindor --I always how he had the energy to play with 20000 conquests.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I thought our guards would get more shots to drop last night. The funny thing is that they got plenty of open looks but couldn't get barely anything to go through. I think Davis and Gray spent so much energy trying to take KLS out of the equation that it threw them off offensively. If just a few more of their shots had fallen the complexion of last night's game would've been different in my opinion.

Interesting comment on Davis and Gray--they had open looks--and drilled some--. But I wondered about the defense on Lou --whether that was a decoy for your team to concentrate on and allow Gabby and Precious to do their things--if that wasn't the plan it worked that way. But uSC used more than 2 players on Katie lou--at times she drew 4 or 5 USC's on her. Their effort was focused on the wrong player--Napheesea has been the most productive scorer for Uconn--true --Katie Lou could go off on a game but lately she has struggled a bit. With Davis and Gray--they didn't lack energy--and they missed few open shots--I think they got what they could. The Defense from Uconn was intense--much more so than i expected.

Reaction Score
Dawn is missing the experienced PG that can get the ball to the other players in the right position to score. Also Dawn's offense doesn't have a lot of motion in it which would enable A'ja and Coates to get easier shots. Will be interesting to see how Azura Stevens players next year as when she was at Duke she had a similar style of play as A'ja does. Azura does have more range in her shot then A'ja.
They have been saying that for a few years now. However; Dawn got that fine transfer guard from Duke, and she has one of the top freshman guards in the country already starting. So, the guard weakness, I think, is no longer the issue. I think the issue is that there is still too much focus on getting the ball inside to A'ja ( a recruiting promise, maybe?). And don't overlook Connecticut's defense, which is like no other. The guards, good as they now are, simply can't get a comfortable shot.

Reaction Score
Her offense last night had a lot of motion, but only in one direction(across the lane). She was trying to foil Geno's switching by getting an unfavorable matchup on Crystal. It never worked.

By the way, where is the person who earlier this season posted about SC having the strongest four-player combo in WCBB? How is that opinion workin' for ya?!
\

The AAC teams pulled Crystal away on defense of the basket by dribble driving with Crystal guarding---Crystal drew negative comments from me on her defense--Dawn found that Geno found a way to minimize Crystals (only) weakness by quickly dropping back to protect the basket from driving guards.
Ok the person who wrote earlier about UConn having the weakest bench and strongest 4 combo players--how's that working out for you??

Reaction Score
I'm blown away by Gabby Williams. It's one thing to see her on TV, but in person.. it's breathtaking. If she's not a 1st or 2nd team All-American then the entire thing is a scam.
I wish I could have been there last night. I had to settle for 70 inch HD. Before this season began , I thought her niche was still 6th player. I am stunned by her athletic ability and never ending " will " to compete for every ball , on every possession. If there are 5 better players in wcbb, I would like to know who they are. By the way, I was impressed in the way Harris handled herself last night. I think she will have a bright future with the gamecocks.

Reaction Score
I thought that our girls did a great job of shutting down the dribble penetration by South Carolina guards and forced them into situations that minimized their interior post height advantage....the traditional big can be an incredibly effective scorer for teams that have a guard(s) who can take the ball inside, draw the defense and then find the open big witness the play Crystal Dangerfield made Q4 when finding Nat open alone for the uncontested bunny a second before the 30-second clock expired...South Carolina had some success with that early on but as the game went on their guards seemed more inclined to try to lob the ball into the post players who were already being beaten to their preferred up-close and personal comfort zone before immediately being swarmed on by 2 or 3 UConn defenders...Wilson's Q4 frustration became increasingly evident to all when it was obvious how the game was going to play out...with sincere apologies to Tyasha Harris' split lip, in the immortal words of Mike Tyson, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

The one weakness of UConn Wbb over the past few years has been their inability to stop the effective dribble driving teams.
USC has some success with that --but for the most part Geno was able to mask that weakness with 5 mobile, quick, hard working kids.
In the NCAA's with good athletic teams --Texas has a couple of guards that are good, Miss St, UW---it is good to have this practice prior to theBig Games.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
To me the game of basketball changed in the Olympics. European bigs shooting 3's, opening up the lane for dribble drive and spreading the floor. 3 pointers are game changers and even if you get a 20 -20 from a big, you have to have some 3 's to open things up for everyone else.

Last night, I thought slowing the game down worked well for South Carolina, but also took them out of rhythm. Trying to execute at the end of the shot clock for 40 minutes against UCONN is difficult. UCONN kept hurrying things up and in the second half, and to me, it was the mental exhaustion rather than physical that did the Gamecocks in. They had the game in control until the final minute of the 2nd quarter and then the last minute of the 3 rd quarter UCONN jumped further ahead. Mentally draining and frustrating.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I wish I could have been there last night. I had to settle for 70 inch HD. Before this season began , I thought her niche was still 6th player. I am stunned by her athletic ability and never ending " will " to compete for every ball , on every possession. If there are 5 better players in wcbb, I would like to know who they are. By the way, I was impressed in the way Harris handled herself last night. I think she will have a bright future with the gamecocks.

I really think she's going to answer all of our questions at point guard for the next three years after this season. She's a true freshmen and handled herself very well in that environment. What I like most about her is that she's a true point guard.. not scoring point guard, etc.. she's a true point guard that has offense and defense, and she'll develop and get better. SC's poise in the first half was all Harris controlling the tempo..

Reaction Score
Or she was being triple teamed the entire 2nd half. Great half time adjustment by Geno, it worked.
Dawn knows this---Geno see's what's happening and --when possible--makes that half time adjustment--he could have done that 10 minutes into the game--but Dawn would have seen the correction and corrected her team during half time. Geno always waits for the half --his half time corrections over the years --some are just short of miraculous !!

Reaction Score
To me the game of basketball changed in the Olympics. European bigs shooting 3's, opening up the lane for dribble drive and spreading the floor. 3 pointers are game changers and even if you get a 20 -20 from a big, you have to have some 3 's to open things up for everyone else.

Last night, I thought slowing the game down worked well for South Carolina, but also took them out of rhythm. Trying to execute at the end of the shot clock for 40 minutes against UCONN is difficult. UCONN kept hurrying things up and in the second half, and to me, it was the mental exhaustion rather than physical that did the Gamecocks in. They had the game in control until the final minute of the 2nd quarter and then the last minute of the 3 rd quarter UCONN jumped further ahead. Mentally draining and frustrating.

Slowing the game sometimes is good--it keeps the score down--but way too often teams slowing the game get in a rut--then then lose their minds trying to play catch up--it hardly ever, if ever works. You play your game against everyone--and if you are good you shall win. If not--there is always another game.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
???????????????

That's great and all but I wasn't talking about SC's conditioning in relation to UCONN's.. call SC out of shape and slow, that's fine, I'm not arguing that. That's another conversation.

But that's not the reason Wilson didn't produce as effectively in the 2nd half.. its because she was double and triple teamed. Wilson is well equipped to play 4 quarters. Her effectiveness decreased because she was being defended differently (and occasionally fouled, but I digress on THAT subject as well).
SC, I personally hope that you and CockyLH and other Columbia-directed posters stay around the BY. We seem to have lost posters from other competitor schools along the way. The season has a long way to go.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Uh. Phil Jackson might have something to say about that.

The Jordan pippen Rodman Bulls killed the center.
Are you shading Luc Longley?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Davis and Gray spent so much energy trying to take KLS out of the equation that it threw them off offensively. If just a few more of their shots had fallen the complexion of last night's game would've been different in my opinion.
Bingo! And you may just have identified Lou's actual (and crucial) contribution to UConn's victory last night. If, by consuming defensive attention and energy from Davis and Gray, she reduced their scoring by more than her own scoring was reduced, then that was a net victory for her and UConn, and a net loss for them and for South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Oldude - interesting but I don't think it is all that accurate for a few reasons:
1. One of the issues with the big man/woman center is god only makes a few of them every decade it seems, and there are a lot more teams than 'bigs' to go around, so it has always been an issue for most teams to figure out a way to counteract the few teams that have the big guys. Three point shooting certainly helps, and speed and smarts and passing have all been countermeasures. But the Griners and Jabars will always have a place at the table when they come along because they do pose serious issues for the teams that aren't lucky enough to snag one of them. In the pros where true zone defenses are not allowed you can force them outside on defense usually and that creates a problem for them, but in college where defensive three seconds doesn't exist ..

2. Geno certainly didn't create the idea of multifunctional undersized posts, most people attribute it to European basketball imports to the pros. Rebecca, Lauren Jackson, EDD, and Stewart all have exhibited that inside and outside skill, but they have all performed best when paired with a more traditional post player. If Geno had Tina Charles still on hist roster she would being taking a lot of minutes away from Gabby or Napheesa and Geno would be more relaxed about the outcome of the season! Next year and the year after he will be really happy to have BIG options in the lineup. This team is lots of fun to watch and root for and they are playing fabulous basketball, but the NC trophy hasn't been engraved yet!

3. For just a moment, fantasize about what might have been had Wilson chosen UConn! I think she and Geno would have made a pretty good match, and UConn would be even more dominant right now. OK - back to reality, love this team, and what they have done, but Gabby and Napheesa are also pretty unique players, and I wouldn't like to plug two other 6'1/5'11 players into their roles - can't think of another two playing college ball right know that would be getting it done, can you? So .. the formula depends on two unique players, not something that will start a trend!

I was going to high light those words that were outstanding--but I can't == just too many. So I'll just say para 2 and 3 I liked a lot.

I agree Geno will be more than pleased next year --he may even get giddy--IF and ONLY IF--the two imports do as anticipated!!
He has a recruiting class 360 teams would pay for--but untried and no Div 1 Experience.
If the Two import are as advertized along with 4 of the starting 5 plus Danger--and assuming Walker is a ready to go Div 1 kind of kid--at least for scoring--. Geno will do all end of games giggling. Recently Geno has been as loosey goosey as I've ever have seen him. Kidding the interviewer about who KLS's coach was--etc.
However, I wonder about Aj'a--her intensity--her need to win hard fought games--would that change under Geno?? Just a wonderment!!?? One more observation: Geno works with the talent (or lack thereo of) present to him big, tall, wide, short, thin, athletic, or not---he has learned many tricks of his trade to mask those bits and pieces that are apparent weaknesses.

Reaction Score
They were absolutely right, but the 2 dominant BIGS were 6’1” & 5’11” and they didn’t play for South Carolina.

I learned alot from your info, so thanks! That line above was the best!

Reaction Score
To the OP, very good post. Unfortunately, the men have not gotten the message. They keep recruiting big man projects who they hope will clog the lane and blocks shots. They got the blocked shots but only clog the lane to our detriment.

Reaction Score
As underrated as Gabby and Pheesa are, is as overrated as Coates is.

It seems Coates can do it slip in punches and injuries, like that elbow to the stomach against KLS. She's a brute, not a basketball star.

Reaction Score
???????????????

That's great and all but I wasn't talking about SC's conditioning in relation to UCONN's.. call SC out of shape and slow, that's fine, I'm not arguing that. That's another conversation.

But that's not the reason Wilson didn't produce as effectively in the 2nd half.. its because she was double and triple teamed. Wilson is well equipped to play 4 quarters. Her effectiveness decreased because she was being defended differently (and occasionally fouled, but I digress on THAT subject as well).
I agree with you here SCG. IMO, it's Staley's offense( or lack thereof ) that wastes Wilson's abilities. She sets her bigs up to be isolated and denied the ball because there's very little movement in the half court and good defenses know that without the high- low there will be no easy points. SC gets no points in transition and generates nothing off their defense which dooms bigs like Wilson that can run to be stuck in that low post watching poor shooters launch 3's. Granted, UConn is an out of the norm level of defense but against most teams, if Staley knew how to open up and get some easy points SC should score more than 77 a game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom