Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno said the men's college game is a joke. And no, he wasn't comparing the men's and women's games -- though that won't stop guys from coming out of their caves and going off on how inferior women's basketball is, etc. He was talking as a spectator and he isn't saying things others aren't currently writing or talking about. Bilas doesn't call it a joke but talks about this stuff all the time. Points scored have been declining year after year and little is being done. The 35-second shot clock is a joke, with players pounding the ball in to the hardwood and then looking for a ballscreen with 10 seconds on the shot clock. The men's game is too physical. The lane should be widened. Things should be done to make it easier to score, much like was done in the NBA several years ago.

Joey Knight @TBTimes_Bulls · 1h1 hour ago
Auriemma: "College men's basketball is so far behind the times, it's unbelievable.

Joey Knight‏@TBTimes_Bulls
Auriemma: "Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor. "

Reaction Score
Geno said the men's college game is a joke. And no, he wasn't comparing the men's and women's games -- though that won't stop guys from coming out of their caves and going off on how inferior women's basketball is, etc. He was talking as a spectator and he isn't saying things others aren't currently writing or talking about. Bilas doesn't call it a joke but talks about this stuff all the time. Points scored have been declining year after year and little is being done. The 35-second shot clock is a joke, with players pounding the ball in to the hardwood and then looking for a ballscreen with 10 seconds on the shot clock. The men's game is too physical. The lane should be widened. Things should be done to make it easier to score, much like was done in the NBA several years ago.

Joey Knight @TBTimes_Bulls · 1h1 hour ago
Auriemma: "College men's basketball is so far behind the times, it's unbelievable.

Joey Knight‏@TBTimes_Bulls
Auriemma: "Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor. "

This is typical Geno; pretty much every year right around Final Four time, he'll say something inflammatory and all the heat/attention is on him and not the players leading up to the games. I think its strategic on his end, because he's not wrong, this is a well-documented issue in Men's College Basketball, but I think this is just his typical MO for this time of year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is typical Geno; pretty much every year right around Final Four time, he'll say something inflammatory and all the heat/attention is on him and not the players leading up to the games. I think its strategic on his end, because he's not wrong, this is a well-documented issue in Men's College Basketball, but I think this is just his typical MO for this time of year.
Thing is, IMHO, it's not inflammatory unless taken out of context or misrepresented/misunderstood.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the men's board goes off. There would be no complaints if Jay Bilas said the same thing, and oh by the way he has.

I'm sure Geno doesn't include the UConn men among the teams he liked to watch this year because watching them try to score was downright painful this year.

"College men's basketball is so far behind the times, it's unbelievable," he said. "I mean, women's basketball is behind the times. Men's basketball is even further behind the times. Every other major sport in the world has taken steps to help people be better on the offensive end of the floor.

"They've moved in the fences in baseball, they lowered the mound, they made the strike zone so that you need a straw to put through it. In the NFL, you touch a guy and it's a penalty. You hit the quarterback, you're out.

"This is entertainment, we're talking about. People have to decide: 'Do I want to pay 25 bucks, 30 bucks to go see a college scrum where everybody misses six of out every 10 shots they take, or do I want to go to a movie?'

Reaction Score
The team is the most over exposed team in the sport. There's never not attention on them. Maybe what you suggest worked 10 or 20 years ago, but Geno talking to the media doesn't change anything from a player's standpoint.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno was specifically asked for his thoughts on the men's game since so much is being written about the state of the game, particularly the lack of offense. He answered honestly which is what you'd expect from Geno. This isn't about Geno trying to take pressure off his players.

I was a fan of men's basketball before I became a fan of women's basketball but I literally covered my eyes while watching the AAC's men's tournament this year, and that includes UConn. That's not the game I grew up loving.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We'll see more about this on Around the Horn and PTI tonight.

Reaction Score
Rules changes to make any sport more entertaining and watchable (i.e. better ratings) by increasing the offensive scoring is no more apparent than in America's most popular sport- Football. The NFL rules committee has for the past several years increasingly limited defensive contact on receivers and implemented added penalties in a very "successful" effort to help offenses move the ball up and down the field to score more.

*Based on the NFL's insane success, I guess it works, but I still long for the days when the Steelers and Bears absolutely crushed opposing offenses.
*Interesting comments coming from Geno, the man who coaches the best defensive team in WCBB. Ironic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno was specifically asked for his thoughts on the men's game since so much is being written about the state of the game, particularly the lack of offense. He answered honestly which is what you'd expect from Geno. This isn't about Geno trying to take pressure off his players.

I was a fan of men's basketball before I became a fan of women's basketball but I literally covered my eyes while watching the AAC's men's tournament this year, and that includes UConn. That's not the game I grew up loving.

Well said. I too once was only a men's bball fan. [Yes I still have season tickets] However, now there is much more flow and team play in the women's game. Basketball was never meant to be as physical a game as they have allowed the men's game to become. While the men's refs are better than in the women's game, men's BB is impossible to ref fairly without having everyone foul out.The men's game has also become more of a one on one game with 4 players standing around waiting for the ball..

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Rules changes to make any sport more entertaining and watchable (i.e. better ratings) by increasing the offensive scoring is no more apparent than in America's most popular sport- Football. The NFL rules committee has for the past several years increasingly limited defensive contact on receivers and implemented added penalties in a very "successful" effort to help offenses move the ball up and down the field to score more.

*Based on the NFL's insane success, I guess it works, but I still long for the days when the Steelers and Bears absolutely crushed opposing offenses.
*Interesting comments coming from Geno, the man who coaches the best defensive team in WCBB. Ironic.
Yeah, but having the best defensive team year after year is not necessarily a big thrill for him when the 92nd ranked Terps defense holds their opponent to 48 points in the E8 game. Defensive prowess doesn't seem so spectacular when offenses are so challenged that a so-so defensive team has no trouble looking like the Wall of Steel.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Interesting how FIBA is so far ahead of college ball in the US. There's the clock, the 3-point line, the trapezoid lane, quarters and resetting fouls, available time-outs, etc. FIBA recently adopted a rule that resets the shot clock to 14 seconds (rather than usual 24 seconds) after an offensive rebound in order to speed up the game. I know, I know, all of us would miss watching a team grab an offensive board only to dribble for another 25 seconds, set a ball screen and then miss another shot. Rinse and repeat.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Geno on SVP & Rusillo Show http://post original url/v4hz7nYsKh

t-gal

T for Trouble
Reaction Score

As long as the $$$$ keep rolling in on the Men's side, it's not really going to matter how far behind the Men are. I know I cannot watch NBA b/c all I see is 6-second increments of one-on-one ball. Granted I do enjoy being entertained, but last I checked this is a team sport. I'd like to know what Dr. Naismith thinks of how the game is played versus how he intended it and his thoughts to improve this dilemma. Oh, if only time travel were possible...

Just curious, but if we look back the past 5 years, what were the inflammatory comments Coach made to take the heat off of players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom