Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it

Reaction Score
Monday night:
Naz Hillmon - 40 minutes
Hailey Van Lith - 38 minutes
Jakia Brown-Turner - 48 minutes (out of 50)
Elissa Cunane - 48 minutes (out of 50)

Friday/Saturday:
Olivia Miles - 38 minutes
Maddy Westbeld - 37 minutes
Kai Crutchfield - 40 minutes
Hailey Van Lith - 39 minutes
Naz Hillmon - 38 minutes
Haley Jones - 39 minutes
Taylor Mikesell - 40 minutes
Jacy Sheldon - 38 minutes (the first two minutes she sat all tournament)
Ashley Joens - 40 minutes
Emily Ryan - 40 minutes
Lauren Jensen - 39 minutes

In March, you play your best players as long as they can play. I love Caroline and think she can be an All-American one day. But if Paige, Azzi and Christyn can go 38-40, they should be going 38-40. And by this point they should be conditioned to do so.
Only Van Lith and Jones are still in the tourney. Maybe the others' coaches should have rested them some. Thinking specifically of Cunane and Brown-Turner.

Reaction Score
But if he wins - and coaches to a style that he usually does, then how is he wrong if that style that he has preference to has been proven to be the best ever in wcbb history?

And then it leads to--- at what point do you "blast him? That was the point of my Stevens vs Dangerfield comment.
I doubt he can ever be "blasted". I mean, we are talking about difficult calls here without obvious answers. I think you can only blast a coach that is grossly negligent or incompetent. We have had some at UConn but they weren't named Geno!
An opinion can not be wrong because it is not a statement of fact.
I may have the opinion that a 427 V8 Corvette is the best muscle car ever. It is not a fact but something I believe so I can't be wrong. And no one is going to make me change my opinion.
If you could prove an opinion wrong then its counter would be fact. In this case, that would be very difficult to do so, yeah, I guess it all remains as opinion. So, let's agree to just disagree without saying that any opinions are "not allowed".

I agree on the old 427. But, damn, that new flat plane crank based engine on the new Corvette is impressive.
Love this post! Hysterical!
At least something hysterical adds value.

Reaction Score
I agree. Good things happen when Nika is on the floor. But, I want Paige, Azzi and CW to be the core and play together for the most minutes. We lose certain things when Nika is out but it’s a sacrifice I’d choose.
Especially when Geno knows his biggest defensive challenge tonight is guarding Halley Jones. You can’t teach height, and Geno knows Jones is 3 inches taller than Nika. Ducharme’s cumulative stats this season in assists (38), blocks (15) and steals (26) are amazing given her lack of minutes per game (21.4). She is also 6’2” btw.

Reaction Score
I doubt he can ever be "blasted". I mean, we are talking about difficult calls here without obvious answers. I think you can only blast a coach that is grossly negligent or incompetent. We have had some at UConn but they weren't named Geno!
Well there have been some posts on here that have. One poster referred to the analogy that Geno's coaching has "jumped the shark."

And on more than one occasions posters have brought up that the game has passed him by.

I kid you not.

These are equivalents of "blasting." And if they lose tonight expect more of the above.
=================
I'd like to ask though several questions - one is that you have made a point that Geno needs to ask the question why CD is struggling. Are you suggesting that 18 year old kids need to be coddled to such a degree that they should never struggle? He can ask it- but his priority is much more to win - not to fix the 9th player on the bench. Even then as a former coach-- how much can you guarantee "a fix?" Especially when an 18 year old is going against mostly older players in a situation she was never in before vs terrific teams. It just seems on this thread you are suggesting that CD should never struggle unless it's the coach’s fault. If you aren't saying that then why can't you accept that some freshmen have a strong possibility that they aren't going to be as consistent as other older players in the NCAA Tourney?

Secondly, you agreed with a poster that spoke of conditioning yet you have seen throughout women’s basketball that in NCAA Tourney’s team play their stars they play them near 40 minutes (excluding big centers but even then Baylor did ND did etc.) in big, close games . Just look back at the past 5+ years - even Stanford- they all have played their super players 35-40 minutes unless foul trouble. It's not just Geno. It's every coach. So aren’t you proposing something that no other coach that has won a title has done over the last 5+ years in close games? Because they all play their super players near 40 minutes --fresh legs or not- in big NCAA games. So is every coach wrong?

Third, if all the coaches are showing you they play their super players huge minutes in NCAA big games, then why are you being so hard on Geno for one bench player? You as a former coach should realize that the team is more important than any one player. So why are you so focused on what Geno has to fix (you said he must fix CD) when the players he is playing, in the minutes allocation that Geno has decided, has proven to be successful not only this year but many years in the past?

Reaction Score
Well there have been some posts on here that have. One poster referred to the analogy that Geno's coaching has "jumped the shark."

And on more than one occasions posters have brought up that the game has passed him by.

I kid you not.

These are equivalents of "blasting." And if they lose tonight expect more of the above.
=================
I'd like to ask though several questions - one is that you have made a point that Geno needs to ask the question why CD is struggling. Are you suggesting that 18 year old kids need to be coddled to such a degree that they should never struggle? He can ask it- but his priority is much more to win - not to fix the 9th player on the bench. Even then as a former coach-- how much can you guarantee "a fix?" Especially when an 18 year old is going against mostly older players in a situation she was never in before vs terrific teams. It just seems on this thread you are suggesting that CD should never struggle unless it's the coach’s fault. If you aren't saying that then why can't you accept that some freshmen have a strong possibility that they aren't going to be as consistent as other older players in the NCAA Tourney?

Secondly, you agreed with a poster that spoke of conditioning yet you have seen throughout women’s basketball that in NCAA Tourney’s team play their stars they play them near 40 minutes (excluding big centers but even then Baylor did ND did etc.) in big, close games . Just look back at the past 5+ years - even Stanford- they all have played their super players 35-40 minutes unless foul trouble. It's not just Geno. It's every coach. So aren’t you proposing something that no other coach that has won a title has done over the last 5+ years in close games? Because they all play their super players near 40 minutes --fresh legs or not- in big NCAA games. So is every coach wrong?

Third, if all the coaches are showing you they play their super players huge minutes in NCAA big games, then why are you being so hard on Geno for one bench player? You as a former coach should realize that the team is more important than any one player. So why are you so focused on what Geno has to fix (you said he must fix CD) when the players he is playing, in the minutes allocation that Geno has decided, has proven to be successful not only this year but many years in the past?
On the first question, it isn't just that CD is struggling. She went from not being able to play and contribute to scoring 28 and leading the team and then back to not being able to play again. That isn't normal freshman inconsistency. I have always felt that there is no such thing as luck. The CD we saw carry the team is exactly who she is. So, when THAT kid supposedly can't play again, it is up to the coach to figure out why. If it really is too late this year, I guess they will have to do what they need to do. I am just bummed it hasn't been figured out yet.

On your second question, no, not every coach who goes 6 deep is wrong. Many of them really just aren't deep. I think we are, this year. That's the difference. And some coaches that shortened their benches may have been wrong. I can't say unless you provide a specific example.

On the third question, yes, the team winning is what matters the most. The question is, do we have a better chance with Nika and CD playing? I concede that the answer may be no. This year is very different from recent UConn teams because we have three (was four) bench players that have had GREAT games this year. My gut tells me they can be the difference between losing and winning. But, again, I will concede that it depends on whether or not those players can be their true selves.

Reaction Score

I kid you not.

=================

So every starter is a star player that should not come off the floor? CD is more than a guard, she can easily be considered a forward both in height and her game. Also, this "struggling" is mind boggling. Her numbers for mins is far from struggling. Geno at one point said he wants her shooting because he wants scores that can score shooting the ball. Yes Paige and Azzi are back plus CW is playing the best ball of her career, but watching play against these final four teams require depth and as many options as possible. Azzi was 3-11 two games ago. You can argue when CD carried the team she started to be the focus of defenses but still scored, how about when PB & Azzi are on the floor and not the focus? Even during the "struggles" (two missed layups) she gets open because she moves, cuts and posts really well. She doesn't need to hit 3s to be on the floor.

Reaction Score
On the first question, it isn't just that CD is struggling. She went from not being able to play and contribute to scoring 28 and leading the team and then back to not being able to play again. That isn't normal freshman inconsistency. I have always felt that there is no such thing as luck. The CD we saw carry the team is exactly who she is. So, when THAT kid supposedly can't play again, it is up to the coach to figure out why. If it really is too late this year, I guess they will have to do what they need to do. I am just bummed it hasn't been figured out yet.

On your second question, no, not every coach who goes 6 deep is wrong. Many of them really just aren't deep. I think we are, this year. That's the difference. And some coaches that shortened their benches may have been wrong. I can't say unless you provide a specific example.

On the third question, yes, the team winning is what matters the most. The question is, do we have a better chance with Nika and CD playing? I concede that the answer may be no. This year is very different from recent UConn teams because we have three (was four) bench players that have had GREAT games this year. My gut tells me they can be the difference between losing and winning. But, again, I will concede that it depends on whether or not those players can be their true selves.
On the 1st part, with CD as the star who did UCONN beat? The Big East Teams and UCLA. While Creighton made a good run they were about a 30-40 ranked team. And they did much better giving Creighton a beatdown with Fudd in there too. Anyhow, the wya I'm lookign at it is that it isn't unusual for a a plyer to lead her team vs Creighton and not be able to in the NCAA Tourney vs some other elite teams.

But we are only as deep as the successful coach feels. He didn't agree with you and he won. So his way deserves kudos, right? But secondly, it also proves that you don't need fresh legs "that much," right? That's been a criticism of Geno for a while is that posters will say "you need fresh legs" but it's proven time after time that you don't, correct?

And I will concede if UCONN loses there can be discussions pointing out what Geno did wrong. Because as you say and everyone else says - no one is perfect not even teh HOF coach. There is a god chance if UCONN wins Tara will get knocked and if UCON loses Geno will get knocked.

Reaction Score
On the 1st part, with CD as the star who did UCONN beat? The Big East Teams and UCLA. While Creighton made a good run they were about a 30-40 ranked team. And they did much better giving Creighton a beatdown with Fudd in there too. Anyhow, the wya I'm lookign at it is that it isn't unusual for a a plyer to lead her team vs Creighton and not be able to in the NCAA Tourney vs some other elite teams.

But we are only as deep as the successful coach feels. He didn't agree with you and he won. So his way deserves kudos, right? But secondly, it also proves that you don't need fresh legs "that much," right? That's been a criticism of Geno for a while is that posters will say "you need fresh legs" but it's proven time after time that you don't, correct?

And I will concede if UCONN loses there can be discussions pointing out what Geno did wrong. Because as you say and everyone else says - no one is perfect not even teh HOF coach. There is a god chance if UCONN wins Tara will get knocked and if UCON loses Geno will get knocked.
I still hate Tara for what she did to Lobo. I would love to put it to her again.

It hasn't been proven that you don't need fresh legs to win. Sometimes you can still win because your top 5-6 is just that much better than their top 5-6. I don't think that is the case in this game today. Also, who knows, if Nika and CD played more maybe we beat NC State by more and in regulation. Hard to say.

Reaction Score
I still hate Tara for what she did to Lobo. I would love to put it to her again.

It hasn't been proven that you don't need fresh legs to win. Sometimes you can still win because your top 5-6 is just that much better than their top 5-6. I don't think that is the case in this game today. Also, who knows, if Nika and CD played more maybe we beat NC State by more and in regulation. Hard to say.
I for one didn't know about the history of Tara and Lobo. This article explains it. Hartford, Connecticut Breaking News, Sports & Entertainment - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
So every starter is a star player that should not come off the floor? CD is more than a guard, she can easily be considered a forward both in height and her game. Also, this "struggling" is mind boggling. Her numbers for mins is far from struggling. Geno at one point said he wants her shooting because he wants scores that can score shooting the ball. Yes Paige and Azzi are back plus CW is playing the best ball of her career, but watching play against these final four teams require depth and as many options as possible. Azzi was 3-11 two games ago. You can argue when CD carried the team she started to be the focus of defenses but still scored, how about when PB & Azzi are on the floor and not the focus? Even during the "struggles" (two missed layups) she gets open because she moves, cuts and posts really well. She doesn't need to hit 3s to be on the floor.
1--- I used the word “star” 2 times on this thread. I used the phrase “super players” twice on this thread and used an example of Evina earning playing time indirectly implying she’d be over Cd – it was mentioned twice on this thread, and yet through it all you interpreted my posts that every starter is a star player? Even though that during all of the discussions since this thread was created that the UCONN games had 3 main players getting continual big minutes; and they were Paige, Azzi and CWil, and yet somehow you interpreted my post to mean every starter?

2—Whether you find the comments reflecting the characterization of CD’s play using the word “struggling” as “mind-boggling “ is immaterial. The fact is that in the last 12 games (excluding Stanford) when CD has taken a shot her Efficiency FG% is less than the team’s efficiency % during the same 12 games. In 9 of the 12 games, overall the team’s efficiency was better than hers. She’s not being as efficient. So, is your answer is to keep rewarding CD’s less efficiency rather than get the ball to Paige and Azzi? You want Paige and Azzi to become more passers than getting them more shots? That would be "mind-boggling" if you wanted that. The idea is to get your best players as many efficient shots as you can, right? At this point in CD’s career, that’s not her strength (passing to other scorers).

3—And if you are going to try to justify using CD’s resume as not just a scorer but “overall as a player” – then why would you ignore the resume from last year from proven seniors like CW and Evina? Isn’t there past resume of getting to the FF superior to CD’s past resume? And if you are going to compare the past shooting %’s as you have done with Azzi then why wouldn’t you compare the past 12 games rather than just cite the one game as you did from Azzi which she went 3-11? So overall since the injury CD suffered, upon her comeback the resumes of Azzi, CW and Evina (and ofc Paige) are superior, correct?

4—So while you mention CD is a fine versatile player, I’m asking you to look at the resume of Evina vs her and decide which is superior because EW is very versatile too. In addition, we also know in the frontcourt Liv, AE and Dorka are superior to CD in terms of need. As well as the backcourt Paige, Azzi, and CW have superior resumes. And as for Nika- Nika is an overall better defender but also is a much superior passer. That passer can probably set up Paige and Azzi better. I highlighted that in Point 2 above. If your point is to argue that I’ll back off an argument of CD vs NM. That’s wasn’t the issue created by the OP.

So in summary, CD is 4th and/or 5th on the depth chart. And we know NCAA Tourney teams tend to play their stars (i.e. Paige, Azzi and CW for UCONN) much more. – So why should UCONN be different than what they always have been and different than every other team that has won a title over the past 5+ years by playing their stars (not every starter) very, very big minutes?

And we have to understand that when you are a 4th or 5th on the depth chart, you are not afforded/ should not be afforded the same rope as a starter. Agree?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes it has. So why do you think the past 5+ years there hasn't been one team (just one team. Just one team) that has used an exclusive "fresh legs scenario? Do I really need to go back the last recent years, and show you that there have been stars getting enormous minutes in big games? Because UCONN has. - SC did in 16-17. Baylor did. ND did. Stanford did in lats year's NCAA (as I pointed out their pg. Williams played 40 minutes 3 games, and Lacie Hull played 39 and 38 in two games and in the finals played 33 getting pulled because of foul trouble.).

So your argument is against what the coach has done with his super successful philosophy and against every other team that has won a title in recent memory because you think they didn't have the players? The only way imo that is possible is if they have an all-star team.

Even this year SC look at the NC Game which was 69-61 they went 6 deep with no other player getting more than 7. Where was their "fresh legs" philosophy? And vs Louisville they went 7 deep with no other player getting more than 6.

So find me one championship WCBB team that supports your "fresh legs" argument in the past 5+ years. Just one. It's all one big coincidence no other championship team has done this? Only UCONN is "the gifted one" is to have this opportunity now -- and for every other college basketball has just been plain dumb for not employing this strategy to a title?

As far as your 2nd point-- when you say "who knows" -- imo that's fine. It's better though than you're being critical which you have been. That's the point imo why some posters were trying to point out to you and being critical a bit of your thread. You were being much more harsh rather than "who knows. . . " But as you say Geno is GOAT so he has "the edge" if it comes down to the point you just made "Who knows?" “He” knows because he wins. Which is why he is GOAT.

Reaction Score
Yes it has. So why do you think the past 5+ years there hasn't been one team (just one team. Just one team) that has used an exclusive "fresh legs scenario? Do I really need to go back the last recent years, and show you that there have been stars getting enormous minutes in big games? Because UCONN has. - SC did in 16-17. Baylor did. ND did. Stanford did in lats year's NCAA (as I pointed out their pg. Williams played 40 minutes 3 games, and Lacie Hull played 39 and 38 in two games and in the finals played 33 getting pulled because of foul trouble.).

So your argument is against what the coach has done with his super successful philosophy and against every other team that has won a title in recent memory because you think they didn't have the players? The only way imo that is possible is if they have an all-star team.

Even this year SC look at the NC Game which was 69-61 they went 6 deep with no other player getting more than 7. Where was their "fresh legs" philosophy? And vs Louisville they went 7 deep with no other player getting more than 6.

So find me one championship WCBB team that supports your "fresh legs" argument in the past 5+ years. Just one. It's all one big coincidence no other championship team has done this? Only UCONN is "the gifted one" is to have this opportunity now -- and for every other college basketball has just been plain dumb for not employing this strategy to a title?

As far as your 2nd point-- when you say "who knows" -- imo that's fine. It's better though than you're being critical which you have been. That's the point imo why some posters were trying to point out to you and being critical a bit of your thread. You were being much more harsh rather than "who knows. . . " But as you say Geno is GOAT so he has "the edge" if it comes down to the point you just made "Who knows?" “He” knows because he wins. Which is why he is GOAT.
No, you are wrong. You haven't proven anything with your verbose response. There is a method for proving something and you didn't come close. Hell, even the scientific method often relies on statistics. And, when it does, it makes a claim on truth with some percentage of confidence. Even scientific "facts" are sometimes not "facts" but statistical claims.

Also, you conveniently focus on the last 5 years. First, 5 data points isn't proving anything, anywhere, ever. Second, you know damn well there were teams before that which did utilized a deep bench, UConn included. You are so hell bent on winning the argument that you are not being honest with yourself.

Lastly, there are a variety of reasons why a short bench can win championships. First, maybe the team only has 5 or 6 good players and those players were good enough to beat everyone, even with tired legs. Second, a team could have a deep bench that would have won the championship by even larger margins but was still able to beat everyone with only 5 or 6 players because, again, they were still better than the competition, even on tired legs.

As for Geno and every other GOAT, even they are wrong a small percentage of the time. Again, if you asked him, he, himself would admit that. Not sure why this is such a big deal for you. And, no, I was never "harsh". I was just throwing a thought out there for discussion. The fact that it countered what Geno was currently doing does not make it "harsh". People are way too sensitive and protective of their heroes. And this is coming from someone that damn near worships the guy.

Reaction Score
No, you are wrong. You haven't proven anything with your verbose response. There is a method for proving something and you didn't come close. Hell, even the scientific method often relies on statistics. And, when it does, it makes a claim on truth with some percentage of confidence. Even scientific "facts" are sometimes not "facts" but statistical claims.

Also, you conveniently focus on the last 5 years. First, 5 data points isn't proving anything, anywhere, ever. Second, you know damn well there were teams before that which did utilized a deep bench, UConn included. You are so hell bent on winning the argument that you are not being honest with yourself.

Lastly, there are a variety of reasons why a short bench can win championships. First, maybe the team only has 5 or 6 good players and those playerswere good enough to beat everyone, even with tired legs. Second, a team could have a deep bench that would have won the championship by even larger margins but was still able to beat everyone with only 5 or 6 players because, again, they were still better than the competition, even on tired legs.

As for Geno and every other GOAT, even they are wrong a small percentage of the time. Again, if you asked him, he, himself would admit that. Not sure why this is such a big deal for you. And, no, I was never "harsh". I was just throwing a thought out there for discussion. The fact that it countered what Geno was currently doing does not make it "harsh". People are way too sensitive and protective of their heroes. And this is coming from someone that damn near worships the guy.
First off, similar to how the poster misrepresented a portion of what I stated by stating I meant "every starter." Your last paragraph implies that I stated Geno never made a mistake despite the fact on this very thread I implied that maybe he had when I asked you the question "Do I blast him for losing for not starting Stevens?" Instead it seems like you are implying that I'm stating Geno never makes a mistake? I just said I give him the edge over someone like you when you opened it up by saying "Who knows?" You’re the one who asked “Who knows?” When you phrased it like that I’m supposed to believe your opinion has an iota of validity over his? And what made your thread so harsh is that you are stating he is has an obligation to make CD better. All this while he continues to win! You don't see the absurdity in this?????????????? :)

Secondly you are right about being too sensitive. As one of my 1st posts I made on this thread about some just like CD too much- imo you are giving a text book case of letting that type emotion get the better of you when you suggested Genos’ responsibility to make her better. As you just brush over how he has made the team better with the players he has given minutes to.

Third, I provide date of 5 years yet you slam me and yet don't even provide one year? You know I could have probably gone back to year 6 and it would be UCONN right? Then a few more and it would be UCONN, right? And the years with Tennessee with Pat Summit and Parker?? Lots of minutes from her probably, right? Yet you didn’t even provide any data to support you claim while I provided 5 and yet you are talking about "scientific data?"

And in regards to no other team having the opportunity playing a deep bench-- so says the unbiased UCONN fan that created this thread that is telling Geno the mistakes he is making as Geno continues to win using his method.

Im just taking a step back and I have to say - Please stop the comedy. I'm done with you and the thread because we hit a point of no return and only gonna blast each other. So I’m done on here. Time to root for our Huskies tonight as I know you will too. Let's hope we win tonight and go ahead blast away at me.

You were the same poster that said UCONN has no shot (needs a miracle) to beat SC next year as well, right? I could be wrong there- sorry if I am.

Reaction Score
1--- I used the word “star” 2 times on this thread. I used the phrase “super players” twice on this thread and used an example of Evina earning playing time indirectly implying she’d be over Cd – it was mentioned twice on this thread, and yet through it all you interpreted my posts that every starter is a star player? Even though that during all of the discussions since this thread was created that the UCONN games had 3 main players getting continual big minutes; and they were Paige, Azzi and CWil, and yet somehow you interpreted my post to mean every starter?

2—Whether you find the comments reflecting the characterization of CD’s play using the word “struggling” as “mind-boggling “ is immaterial. The fact is that in the last 12 games (excluding Stanford) when CD has taken a shot her Efficiency FG% is less than the team’s efficiency % during the same 12 games. In 9 of the 12 games, overall the team’s efficiency was better than hers. She’s not being as efficient. So, is your answer is to keep rewarding CD’s less efficiency rather than get the ball to Paige and Azzi? You want Paige and Azzi to become more passers than getting them more shots? That would be "mind-boggling" if you wanted that. The idea is to get your best players as many efficient shots as you can, right? At this point in CD’s career, that’s not her strength (passing to other scorers).

3—And if you are going to try to justify using CD’s resume as not just a scorer but “overall as a player” – then why would you ignore the resume from last year from proven seniors like CW and Evina? Isn’t there past resume of getting to the FF superior to CD’s past resume? And if you are going to compare the past shooting %’s as you have done with Azzi then why wouldn’t you compare the past 12 games rather than just cite the one game as you did from Azzi which she went 3-11? So overall since the injury CD suffered, upon her comeback the resumes of Azzi, CW and Evina (and ofc Paige) are superior, correct?

4—So while you mention CD is a fine versatile player, I’m asking you to look at the resume of Evina vs her and decide which is superior because EW is very versatile too. In addition, we also know in the frontcourt Liv, AE and Dorka are superior to CD in terms of need. As well as the backcourt Paige, Azzi, and CW have superior resumes. And as for Nika- Nika is an overall better defender but also is a much superior passer. That passer can probably set up Paige and Azzi better. I highlighted that in Point 2 above. If your point is to argue that I’ll back off an argument of CD vs NM. That’s wasn’t the issue created by the OP.

So in summary, CD is 4th and/or 5th on the depth chart. And we know NCAA Tourney teams tend to play their stars (i.e. Paige, Azzi and CW for UCONN) much more. – So why should UCONN be different than what they always have been and different than every other team that has won a title over the past 5+ years by playing their stars (not every starter) very, very big minutes?

And we have to understand that when you are a 4th or 5th on the depth chart, you are not afforded/ should not be afforded the same rope as a starter. Agree?
I appreciate your insight. Here is the simplicty of my argument. When the chips are down CD is only behind Paige in my eyes. Azzi is right there too. So i have her as a top 3 player on this team. She showed it tonight against #1 overall and a great defensive team. She gets open, scores inside and out. What if she was playing more this whole time? What could have been the impact? That said its all for not, we lost. But she showd she belonged against the best. So no I dont agree she should of had less time and shorter hook. She battled tonight while shooting 50% and was second scoring (with ONE TO.)

Also not person that said we need mircle and not blasting anyone. Just having a sports convo.

Reaction Score
I keep waiting for someone to not blame coach, not playing Muhl or Caroline but that the other team was better yesterday .

Reaction Score
After possibly his longest and most grueling season just to get to the championship game, IMO Geno was exhausted. He didnt look great and sounded worse. It must be a tremendous grind during the season under the best of circumstances. Hopefully he has some time for R&R.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Not speaking about individuals...who should play or when
But to start the identical group that got pushed around in the first quarter
to start the 2nd half, where they were pushed around again,
seemed too much a revert to form when a different lineup; perhaps the one that ended the 2nd quarter run might have been more effective.

Following UConn for some years, I could have predicted what Geno's (mindless, automatic. traditional, ...take your choice) line-up would be.

But I didn't much like it.

Reaction Score
They were the better team last night.
They were better but the fact remains Auriemma benched two players who were an integral part of the team all year. How much that factored in, we’ll never know.
But why are Fudd and Williams given such a pass; both played alright at best throughout the tournament yet Auriemma never even attempted to try something else.
Bueckers shot the ball terrifically from 2, lousy from 3 and outside of the 5-1 assist to TOs against Mercer had more TOs than assists. Did he ever consider moving her off the ball to get her more shots since she was the only dependable scorer on the team? No, because that would have meant taking minutes from players he had evidently decided we’re going to get the minutes no matter what; so Bueckers, much like against Arizona last year, got off only 13 shots, way too few for a team that was starving for points. And I am not necessarily talking about minutes last night, he cut Muhl and Ducharme‘s minutes drastically all tournament so the possibility of having contingencies, plan B’s if needed had not even entered into the planning.
Auriemma has certainly more than earned all the praise he has gotten as a coach, but if the goal this year was to get to the championship and be only quasi competitive he had a great tourney; if the goal was to win it all, he had a lousy one IMO. And this is not hindsight, I posted criticism of his decision to change the team when he did it against Mercer.

Reaction Score
They were better but the fact remains Auriemma benched two players who were an integral part of the team all year. How much that factored in, we’ll never know.
But why are Fudd and Williams given such a pass; both played alright at best throughout the tournament yet Auriemma never even attempted to try something else.
Bueckers shot the ball terrifically from 2, lousy from 3 and outside of the 5-1 assist to TOs against Mercer had more TOs than assists. Did he ever consider moving her off the ball to get her more shots since she was the only dependable scorer on the team? No, because that would have meant taking minutes from players he had evidently decided we’re going to get the minutes no matter what; so Bueckers, much like against Arizona last year, got off only 13 shots, way too few for a team that was starving for points. And I am not necessarily talking about minutes last night, he cut Muhl and Ducharme‘s minutes drastically all tournament so the possibility of having contingencies, plan B’s if needed had not even entered into the planning.
Auriemma has certainly more than earned all the praise he has gotten as a coach, but if the goal this year was to get to the championship and be only quasi competitive he had a great tourney; if the goal was to win it all, he had a lousy one IMO. And this is not hindsight, I posted criticism of his decision to change the team when he did it against Mercer.
I agree and was confused by the minutes distributed. More confused by all the passes that were given to starters 3-10, turnovers,etc... then when someone off the bench makes a mistake or two, or misses a shot, its that they are "way off and dont deserve minutes like the starters." Hey i'm not the coach but i also called out that SC was going to guard Paige and Azzi better, so we need many options. Its not all stats, it when and how you get the baskets too! I think of the Msst game and last night where only special players can over come the speed and physical nature of these athletic well coached teams. You can see the players warn down, breathing heavy and beat up. Now he wants to go to the bench with Amari, seems to support the aurgument of deep bench. Also when a starter like CW is having a not good shooting night, and she has had many, you have options.

All this and would not trade him for any other coach in the world. Its fun to guess why he does things or what if though. Its called being fans

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Anyone harsh on Geno this post season had unrealistic expectations IMO. I mean you go from having a full roster to losing Fudd/Bueckers, then have Ducharme breakout and find her groove, only for her to get injured, have several others miss games due to covid protocol and then bring back Fudd, then Bueckers and at the end youre still trying to nail down rotations and on court chemistry, plus players arent 100%. In hindsight I am sure there adjustments or changes Geno wouldve made but he did the best he could given the circumstances. The season was a hot mess all around for UCONN and you guys were still able to get to a title game, beating the overall #2 and #3 teams along the way. No shame in that, especially as the #6 overall seed entering the tournament.

Reaction Score
I know he tends to shorten the bench. Most of the time I understand why. Ducharme scored 28 points in a game this year and had a game winning bucket. He has called Nika the heart of the team and, five times, she lead the team in assists.

Against NC State, Muhl only played 8 minutes despite getting 2 rebounds a steal and hitting her only shot in those 8 minutes. And she had zero fouls. And we had a hard time stopping NC State from scoring. And Ducharme only played 5 minutes.

I have seen nothing from Muhl that suggests she is off her game. And if Ducharme is sitting because she is struggling, why is she struggling? The kid went from no confidence to massive confidence to no confidence again? If that is true, Geno and the staff need to ask themselves what they did wrong because that shouldn't happen. And, in my coaching days, whenever I saw it happen, it was usually the coach's fault. The guy is a genius but even a genius is wrong sometimes. We need that depth and only Geno can make it happen.
It’s really simple..

Geno went with the seniors. We can debate all day of whether that was the correct move (I don’t think so personally), but it usually is..and it’s almost always Geno’s move..particularly when he likes the seniors.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom