Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it

Reaction Score
As far as "if Caroline plays, who sits?" [out of Christyn, Azzi and Paige], why not try sometime the 4 guard offense with Liv at center? Remember how we discussed when needing outside shooting or against a smaller team, it was suggested that playing Christyn, Azzi, Paige and Caroline all together could be devastating. That's a lot of offensive power, and all four of these players can take it inside to either go all the way to the basket or pull up for a deadly mid-range jump shot. All are good defenders too. I like Carolyn's size for posting up down low too, especially if Liv pulls Brink away from the basket.

JBK

Reaction Score
My point is that's irrelevant. She's not better than Azzi, CW or Paige right now. So unless you want her starting at the four over AE, she's got to fight for minutes off the bench. She'll get her time again.
I agree again.
Just stating Caroline should be the sub for Azzi and Christyn and that could buy her 10 plus minutes. If Westbrook does not hit her 1st shot - pull her
Christyn has been opening strong and closing strong..
I am a big Azzi fan

JBK

Reaction Score
As far as "if Caroline plays, who sits?" [out of Christyn, Azzi and Paige], why not try sometime the 4 guard offense with Liv at center? Remember how we discussed when needing outside shooting or against a smaller team, it was suggested that playing Christyn, Azzi, Paige and Caroline all together could be devastating. That's a lot of offensive power, and all four of these players can take it inside to either go all the way to the basket or pull up for a deadly mid-range jump shot. All are good defenders too. I like Carolyn's size for posting up down low too, especially if Liv pulls Brink away from the basket.
Great point

Reaction Score
In March, you play your best players as long as they can play. I love Caroline and think she can be an All-American one day. But if Paige, Azzi and Christyn can go 38-40, they should be going 38-40. And by this point they should be conditioned to do so.
Just because you CAN play your top 5 for 38-40 minutes doesn't mean it is always optimal. The thing nearly everyone is missing is that fatigue doesn't take a player from being able to play 100% one second to being dead the next. Your performance slowly degrades or you have to throttle back on effort. 30 minutes of Christyn at 100% effort and 10 minutes of Caroline at 100% might just be better than Christyn at 80% for 40 minutes. Same with Azzi and Aliyah. Hell, even if each of them plays 5 minutes less and Caroline picks up those 15 minutes, I think we may still be better off. When effort gets throttled back, a lot of little bad things happen. Closeouts are slower, players get beat off the dribble, people stop cutting to stay open, players are slower to 50/50 balls, players stop boxing out and just ball watch. I could go on and on. In a close game, these are huge.
Ferrariman - I hate to say this but - you blew a head gasket.

This time is tournament time. It's all about the match ups as the game evolves.
Don't even joke about such things!!!
Caroline was their best offensive player a month ago - not 8th —
Exactly. You shouldn't lose much by putting her out there and you gain a lot by keeping fresh legs on everyone else. Now, if she has slow starts off the bench, that is a real issue that needs to be solved or this is all moot.

Reaction Score
It’s just perplexing to go from the DePaul game, where Geno said postgame he trusted her to make a shot more than anybody else, to #9 off the bench with no room for error. I hate to say it, but Paige has come back, and some of the stand around and watch Paige has returned with her. She was absolutely incredible last game, but if a handful of those tough shots don’t fall, it’s a completely different story. I’d like to see Caroline get opportunities, because she has proven she is capable, and even proven to be rather clutch. I actually do think she could be rather useful against Stanford. But I’ve kind of accepted the fact that I’ll have to wait until next year to get to enjoy watching her again.

Reaction Score
Just because you CAN play your top 5 for 38-40 minutes doesn't mean it is always optimal. The thing nearly everyone is missing is that fatigue doesn't take a player from being able to play 100% one second to being dead the next. Your performance slowly degrades or you have to throttle back on effort. 30 minutes of Christyn at 100% effort and 10 minutes of Caroline at 100% might just be better than Christyn at 80% for 40 minutes. Same with Azzi and Aliyah. Hell, even if each of them plays 5 minutes less and Caroline picks up those 15 minutes, I think we may still be better off. When effort gets throttled back, a lot of little bad things happen. Closeouts are slower, players get beat off the dribble, people stop cutting to stay open, players are slower to 50/50 balls, players stop boxing out and just ball watch. I could go on and on. In a close game, these are huge.

Don't even joke about such things!!!

Exactly. You shouldn't lose much by putting her out there and you gain a lot by keeping fresh legs on everyone else. Now, if she has slow starts off the bench, that is a real issue that needs to be solved or this is all moot.

When you have Paige Bueckers, Azzi Fudd and Christyn Williams it's optimal. They're good.

Reaction Score
1. If Caroline plays, who sits?
2. These last two match-ups haven't favored her game.
3. She has a tendency to turn the ball over.
4. I think she could be a huge asset tomorrow against Stanford.
If match-ups are an issue this year won’t they be an issue next year too?

Reaction Score
I'm not convinced she is turning the ball over any more now than she did when starting. As I said here somewhere previously, there is a big difference between looking at turnover stats and actually watching the individual play. For example, player A has the ball and sees player B begin a cut through the lane. Player A is adept at making those kinds of passes and leads Player B perfectly. Unfortunately, Player B slows down, stops, or changes direction. The pass sails out-of-bounds and Player A is charged with a turnover.

Reaction Score
I do think we will need more scoring this weekend and Westbrook has not been able to do it. If he told Caroline you will be playing the 30 minutes on Friday, I am very confident she can put up 20.
Regulation against NC state was in the low 60’s and that will not cut it.
Its funny how people ignore Christyn's shooting percentage but harp on a couple misses by CD. I think last two games she is 2 for 5, not a big sample or slump. She also has one turnover. I recall her having some assists and steals. She makes things happen and her positive has always outweighed her negative when she is on the court.

Also the argument Azzi and Paige should get all the shots is also slightly ridiculous. When the big 4 were here or even Pheese, KLS and Kia they shared the ball or needed other scores. Remember Christyn in huge ND game as a freshman?

Everyone expect Paige to be hot in the last two games and hit every shot needed. You think other teams will adjust or SC could guard her better?

That said its Geno's team, but i just wonder how many are rating Caroline as if she is falling apart with such little time she is getting to play while ignoring some of the air balls, turnovers, bad fouls and plays by others.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
How many threes has she taken in the last few games? One game early in the season she missed eight shots, but also made eight shots. She averaged over eight shots a game. Now, she gets maybe three shots and has to hit all three. Put that same thing on any other player on the team and see how well they do. Geno has his reasons for not putting her out there but some of you need to stop making up excuses for why she should not be.

Reaction Score
Nice! I got my Porsche when I retired! Gift to myself.
Yeah. I spent a long time being frugal and responsible. It was time to be irresponsible. Life is too short. I am not retired yet but I am the same age as my father was when he died.

Reaction Score
Yes, her shot is off. But it was very much on at one point. That was the real Caroline. It is up to the coaches to help her through this. The real Caroline would be HUGE if we could and did play her.

Reaction Score
Yes, her shot is off. But it was very much on at one point. That was the real Caroline. It is up to the coaches to help her through this. The real Caroline would be HUGE if we could and did play her.

It's the Final Four. There's not exactly time to "help her through this" by giving her extra PT, unless that extra PT will definitely help the team win.

29% 3PT shooter this year.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Nice! I got my Porsche when I retired! Gift to myself.
I like American Muscle - bought first year C6 and C7 Vettes. Would have loved to get a C8 but decided the money should be used elsewhere.
Now back to this totally (fill in your choice) thread.

Reaction Score
Can’t wait til Geno figures out that some BYers know more than he does. At long last he might win a few games.
Its a forum and every coach in every sport is not perfect. Is Pete Caroll a great coach but decided to pass on one yard line in SB and not give the ball to the beast. Even an undefeated Pats team lost SB to Giants, anything they could have done differently? Can we discuss as fans? Or since every coach in every sport is more qualified than any of us we shouldnt wonder, ask and discuss why they make the decisons they are making?

We all know, and i think trust, Geno's ability to win a chip. I guess many folks really admire CD and know we would not have a #2 seed or have played in Bridgeport if not for a fearless freshman that stepped up as much as an starter when PB and Azzi were out.

Reaction Score
You are correct, none of us have mentioned it. I don't know why others haven't, but will tell you my reason. It's because her overall game transcends it. She hasn't had a 3pt shot she could truly count on the entire season. Several of us through the season have speculated as to the reason for this, but no one including the coaching staff has been able to correct the problem. So none of us, including you, have a clue on how many minutes she will get (if any) during the Stanford game. We can only hope for the best. Caroline has shown us many different skills and talents not normally accredited to a freshman that we believe should be utilized more than they have been lately. Does that make any of us better at making these decisions than Geno? Of course not!

Reaction Score
Agree on all points, but the Final Four is not the time for the coaches to help a struggling player find herself. It's win-or-go-home time, no margin for error, so you go with the safest and most productive lineup for as long as you can. This means Paige-Azzi-CW-ONO-AE play as close to 40 minutes apiece as foul trouble allows. Nika will get her 6-8 minutes, Evina probably pick up some Dorka minutes if Geno can go with only 1 big, and Caroline is the most likely "next man up" if (when) ONO and/or AE get into foul trouble.

Caroline will be a starter next year, and she has 30 regular season games to "find her shot" then.

Reaction Score
I like American Muscle - bought first year C6 and C7 Vettes. Would have loved to get a C8 but decided the money should be used elsewhere.
Now back to this totally (fill in your choice) thread.
Someone say they like American Muscle. 68 Camaro with 565ci... :)

Attachments

• 544q.jpg
    544q.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 544vvvv.jpg
    544vvvv.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 71

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics