Geno is paying attention | The Boneyard

Geno is paying attention

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It was nice to see him playing Dolson in the low post where she belongs.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. She's a post player ala Russell, Wilt, and Griner!!!!!!!!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think he did a good job today. He has 4 talented players on the bench who can make an impact with a little more experience and confidence. I think rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAAs may be similar, if everyone is practicing hard. I don't think we can win the NCAAs or maybe even BE by going only 6 deep.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think he did a good job today. He has 4 talented players on the bench who can make an impact with a little more experience and confidence. I think rounds 1 and 2 of the NCAAs may be similar, if everyone is practicing hard. I don't think we can win the NCAAs or maybe even BE by going only 6 deep.

I guess I just don't get it. Are Baylor and ND that much better than UConn? They only really go 6 deep. And UConn this year has never gone 6 deep. 7 at the worst.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I guess I just don't get it. Are Baylor and ND that much better than UConn? They only really go 6 deep. And UConn this year has never gone 6 deep. 7 at the worst.
We've lost all 3 games late. Getting the starters some rest may help. And Morgan, Breanna, Moriah, and Kiah present some different challenges to the opposition than our starters do. If we have 8 players we can rely on, that's to our advantage.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
We've lost all 3 games late. Getting the starters some rest may help. And Morgan, Breanna, Moriah, and Kiah present some different challenges to the opposition than our starters do. If we have 8 players we can rely on, that's to our advantage.

I didn't see fatigue as the reason UConn lost 3 games late. But a rested team is always a good idea. It's easy to do in games UConn wins handily, like today.

I've always thought that Uconn's depth is one of their advantages, but the players haven't cooperated...lol.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't see fatigue as the reason UConn lost 3 games late. But a rested team is always a good idea. It's easy to do in games UConn wins handily, like today.

I've always thought that Uconn's depth is one of their advantages, but the players haven't cooperated...lol.
I think they lost defensive intensity and also made mental errors.

Reaction Score
Yes I'm sure Geno consults the Boneyard for coaching tips all the time :rolleyes:

Little known fact: huskynan is actually geno. All this talk about a husband and kids is merely a cleverly designed backstory. Note: auriemma has 8 letters, and huskynan has 8 letters. Need I say more?

Reaction Score
Little known fact: huskynan is actually geno. All this talk about a husband and kids is merely a cleverly designed backstory. Note: auriemma has 8 letters, and huskynan has 8 letters. Need I say more?

That meshes neatly with my theory that Geno is actually from an advanced basketball planet near Sirius...

Siriusly...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stef did what she usually does she starts low early in the game. She then moves out to the high post after the D adjusts. This has been a season long pattern. Add to that that DePaul had 1 6'3" player in Harry.

Reaction Score

It's tough to win games late when you don't have late game experience. For most of the season, when the team was up 20 or 30 points near the end, starters sat. Didn't help build game endurance or mental toughness.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's tough to win games late when you don't have late game experience. For most of the season, when the team was up 20 or 30 points near the end, starters sat. Didn't help build game endurance or mental toughness.
I'm not really concerned with their endurance, especially compared to other teams. They are probably one of the most physically fit teams in the nation.

Mental toughness??? Yea that can probably be questioned in close games. At least from what we have seen to date.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
uhh, you might have missed a bit of the game then. She was in key area quite a bit.

I totally agree. I watched the game again last night just focusing on Dolson. The first 7 minutes, she actually played the high post and did a great job crashing the boards from that position. Sure she played some low post, depending on who was on the floor with her, but I didn't see anything different in this game.

Reaction Score
Mental toughness??? Yea that can probably be questioned in close games. At least from what we have seen to date.

As every good blacksmith knows, we make things tough by beating on them repeatedly...Geno's practice philosophy. After the games with Baylor and Notre Dame, this team is much tougher than it was...we'll get a good gauge of where we are over the next two nights...but, whatever happens, we'll be much tougher on Wednesday...

Reaction Score
Stef did what she usually does she starts low early in the game. She then moves out to the high post after the D adjusts. This has been a season long pattern. Add to that that DePaul had 1 6'3" player in Harry.

Geno doesn't strike me as someone who lets other people tell him what to do. I highly doubt that Geno listens to anyone on the Boneyard, but if he did listen to anyone on the Boneyard, Icebear would be one of them.

Reaction Score
Geno doesn't strike me as someone who lets other people tell him what to do. I highly doubt that Geno listens to anyone on the Boneyard, but if he did listen to anyone on the Boneyard, Icebear would be one of them.

He listens occasionally...otherwise he wouldn't always say those guys are crazy... ;)

Reaction Score
I'm not really concerned with their endurance, especially compared to other teams. They are probably one of the most physically fit teams in the nation.
"Physically fit" is just not the same as having "game legs."

Reaction Score

That's what practice is for. As we have heard many many times over the year, Geno's goal is to make practice as difficult and pressured-filled as humanly possible, worse than any game situation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Physically fit" is just not the same as having "game legs."
Ooookkkaaayyy. :confused:

I'm not really concerned with their endurance, especially compared to other teams. They probably have better "game legs" than any other team in the nation. Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom