Geno is a piece of work.... | The Boneyard

Geno is a piece of work....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
From Rich Elliot's article on Banks' head knock...

"She went in and Rosemary said they went through the whole routine. They asked her a bunch of questions and she really couldn’t give them any straight answers. And I thought, `Well, not much has changed. Why are we worried?’"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

"She went in and Rosemary said they went through the whole routine. They asked her a bunch of questions and she really couldn’t give them any straight answers. And I thought, `Well, not much has changed. Why are we worried?’"
This year the kids I coach had baseline testing done for concussion purposes. Some of them came back saying it was the hardest test they ever took. I had similar thoughts to Geno's, if they don't know anything before getting hit in the head, how we gonna tell if it's worse? :rolleyes:

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Earlier this year Peyton Manning confessed to giving knowingly incorrect answers during his prior baseline tests just in case he had a mild concussion so that he could return to the field.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Earlier this year Peyton Manning confessed to giving knowingly incorrect answers during his prior baseline tests just in case he had a mild concussion so that he could return to the field.
Doesn't surprise me. There aren't too many people more competitive than that guy.

Reminds me of the anecdote regarding Tory Aikman back in January of 1993. He took a nasty hit at the end of the NFC championship game. On the sidelines, they started asking him questions. At this point, it was apaprent that Dallas was going to win the game and go to the Superbowl, so they asked him, "Where are we playing in two weeks?" He responded, "Henrietta," which is his hometown in Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
This year the kids I coach had baseline testing done for concussion purposes. Some of them came back saying it was the hardest test they ever took. I had similar thoughts to Geno's, if they don't know anything before getting hit in the head, how we gonna tell if it's worse? :rolleyes:

What was the old joke about Yogi Berra --" He got hit in the head with a foul tip, so they took an x-ray of his head. The x-ray didn't show anything."

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What was the old joke about Yogi Berra --" He got hit in the head with a foul tip, so they took an x-ray of his head. The x-ray didn't show anything."
I think that was actually "ol' Diz".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think that was actually "ol' Diz".
Yea that's how I remember it. I think it was his own quote. He got x-rayed after breaking up a double play...with his head. I think it was "it didn't show nothing".

Reaction Score
I don't understand why there is such a culture to celebrating reckless decisions made by athletes that compromise their health. Given the ongoing Sidney Crosby saga (and before that Jamie Carey of Standford/Texas/CT Sun), I wouldn't let my kids take a cavalier attitude to concussions. There was a guy who finished a Tour de France stage after a crash. As soon as he got off his bike, when they were fixing his scrapes and bruises, he says 'did I finish the stage?' They say 'yeah, you finished'. He says 'oh, good'. Pause. 'Hey, you guys, did I finish the stage?' He'd biked 2o+ kms to finish: didn't remember a thing and also couldn't remember asking the same question 30 seconds ago.

I know some athletes are super courageous and we should respect them for that, but I wish there wasn't such pressure/expectation to ignore risks that are very real.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't understand why there is such a culture to celebrating reckless decisions made by athletes that compromise their health. Given the ongoing Sidney Crosby saga (and before that Jamie Carey of Standford/Texas/CT Sun), I wouldn't let my kids take a cavalier attitude to concussions. There was a guy who finished a Tour de France stage after a crash. As soon as he got off his bike, when they were fixing his scrapes and bruises, he says 'did I finish the stage?' They say 'yeah, you finished'. He says 'oh, good'. Pause. 'Hey, you guys, did I finish the stage?' He'd biked 2o+ kms to finish: didn't remember a thing and also couldn't remember asking the same question 30 seconds ago.

I know some athletes are super courageous and we should respect them for that, but I wish there wasn't such pressure/expectation to ignore risks that are very real.
Sveta played with a broken foot, not telling Geno she was in pain so she could continue playing. Peyton Manning misled the Colts' medical staff so he could continue playing. Jamie Carey petitioned the NCAA for another year's playing time so that she could continue playing, too. They didn't want to continue playing because others expected it of them, they wanted to continue playing because they're incredibly competitive. The athletes that are really good at what they do are like that and I would be very surprised if they felt pressure from others' expectations of them because the expectations they place on themselves is far greater.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's that choice between present benefit and long term repercussions (not to mention personal choice and "boss" responsibility).

There was a piece a while ago about football players -- guys who could barely walk because of the toll the game took on their body -- and even in their current situation, they still would have made the same choices. (Some say the same thing about performance enhancing drugs.)

I'm not sure how you get around an athlete's silence (or straight out lying).

It will become more "interesting" as athletes (or parents) start using the courts for compensation.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Gotta love Geno! He has such a great sense of humor and always seems to find ways to make people laugh, especially after the game in the drawings.

Reaction Score
Fascinating piece of information! Also very telling about his desire to play whether it is wise health wise or not.

Reaction Score

Ya gotta love Geno's wit and sense of humor:) Sad for anyone who does not get his comments and are not able to seperate seriousness
from having a wonderful "character"/personality.Ya Gotta Love It

Reaction Score
Yea that's how I remember it. I think it was his own quote. He got x-rayed after breaking up a double play...with his head. I think it was "it didn't show nothing".
Dizzy Dean was full of wonderful quotes

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

You're certainly entitled to think such decisions ill-advise (and I tend to agree, but I'm "mature" now), but they are the athlete's decision to make. Someone with the competitive drive to become one of the best at what they do seem unlikely to change on the instant they get an injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom