Geno in California | The Boneyard

Geno in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Geno is at mater dei to watch Katie Lou Samuelson. There are about 10 other coaches here too. I will report later how she did.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Katie Lou had 22 points and around 10 rebounds. She had several baskets in the paint. I heard Geno was also here to see Jordin Canada at a different venue. Not sure if he got to see Canada as I heard she may have a sprained ankle. Probably 10 coaches here most from out west but two from mid west plus UConn.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Were the Stanford coaches in attendance?

Just because her two older sisters attend Stanford does not mean Katie Lou will follow suit. She is not a Stanford given by any means.

JS

Reaction Score
Just because her two older sisters attend Stanford does not mean Katie Lou will follow suit. She is not a Stanford given by any means.
Indulging your sadistic streak by getting our hopes up, eh Saki? The nuggets for which UConn repeatedly prospects along Stanford's sister act stream are always fool's gold.

First we hear how the older sister really likes UConn. But then we hear she's concluded, nonetheless, that Stanford is the best place for her.

Then we hear the younger sister is independent-minded and really likes UConn, and our hopes soar. But in the end, well, Stanford is the best place for her.

And then . . . to compound our trauma, there's even more sisters.

It seems to go on beyond any plausible genetic basis for basketball-playing siblings. Maybe the new ones are carefully selected and trained imposters.

I think Stanford admissions counsels these alleged relatives that one of the requirements to get into their fine institution is first to dangle themselves shamelessly before UConn.

And, like Charlie Brown believing in the ultimate goodness of another, we run ever forward, thinking this time it'll be different. This time a young woman won't snatch away our hopes.

"Just because her 14 sisters attended Stanford does not mean Suzie will follow suit. She is not a Stanford given by any means. We'll hold the ball and you come running up and kick it, UConn . . ."

Reaction Score
Indulging your sadistic streak by getting our hopes up, eh Saki? The nuggets for which UConn repeatedly prospects along Stanford's sister act stream are always fool's gold.

First we hear how the older sister really likes UConn. But then we hear she's concluded, nonetheless, that Stanford is the best place for her.

Then we hear the younger sister is independent-minded and really likes UConn, and our hopes soar. But in the end, well, Stanford is the best place for her.

It seems to go on beyond any plausible genetic basis for basketball-playing siblings. Maybe the new ones are carefully selected and trained imposters.

I think Stanford admissions counsels these alleged relatives that one of the requirements to get into their fine institution is first to dangle themselves shamelessly before UConn.

And, like Charlie Brown believing in the ultimate goodness of another, we run ever forward, thinking this time it'll be different. This time a young woman won't snatch away our hopes.

"Just because her 14 sisters attended Stanford does not mean Suzie will follow suit. She is not a Stanford given by any means . We'll hold the ball and you come running up and kick it, UConn . . ."
You omitted the argument that she like all her 14 sisters are/were/ will be straight-A high school students and place academics and distance from home as the highest of their priorities.

Reaction Score

"Just because her 14 sisters attended Stanford does not mean Suzie will follow suit. She is not a Stanford given by any means. We'll hold the ball and you come running up and kick it, UConn . . ."

Reaction Score

JS, Could not agree with you more; The chances that UCONN will end up with this young lady are slim and none. You can count on it, she will end up at Stanford with her sisters.

Reaction Score

First we hear how the older sister really likes UConn. ....We'll hold the ball and you come running up and kick it, UConn . . ."

Great write-up JS!!!! Clever, funny, and soooooo accurate! [particularly for 6:45 AM on Saturday morning] Why ARE we bothering?!?! - - not just the fans hopefulness, but also GA in CA to look when there is limited time (and one would think $) to find and attract new talent. This is the classic. Time to not just walk, but RUN away.

Reaction Score

It is pretty clear that if she gains admission to Stanford she will go there. That is the history of just about every recruit that is given that option. They may flirt with UConn but they will marry Stanford. Academically Stanford is one of the five best academic universities in the country and Tara Vandeveer is a really good coach. She is not Geno but UConn is not Stanford.

Reaction Score
Having grown up with 2 sisters I can attest that sometimes they don't always see eye to eye. Katie Lou may think that it would be cool to be the only one at the table with a NC ring at all those Thanksgiving dinners in the future.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Touché, JS, touché. However, there is a UConn player who I was told was a lock for Stanford. Had the grades and loved the Stanford program. And what happened? She became a Husky. Again, the mind of a teenager is so hard to decipher. Who knows what Katie Lou is thinking.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Touché, JS, touché. However, there is a UConn player who I was told was a lock for Stanford. Had the grades and loved the Stanford program. And what happened? She became a Husky. Again, the mind of a teenager is so hard to decipher. Who knows what Katie Lou is thinking.

One example? Sounds like she never applied and was excepted. Have there been any players that were accepted to Stanford that ended up at UConn?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

A good :p , JS.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
One example? Sounds like she never applied and was excepted. Have there been any players that were accepted to Stanford that ended up at UConn?

Don't know if Lobo applied there, but Tara recruited her pretty hard and if she applied she probably would have been accepted. Supposedly that was a factor in why Tara was less than fond of Rebecca during her Olympics. But again, she wasn't from CA, which does make some difference.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having grown up with 2 sisters I can attest that sometimes they don't always see eye to eye. Katie Lou may think that it would be cool to be the only one at the table with a NC ring at all those Thanksgiving dinners in the future.
I like that thought. If Katie Lou is thinking ahead several years ...

Yep, the National Championship ring and Olympic Gold Medal at the dinner table would be nice. :)

Reaction Score
I thought Sue Bird was accepted at Stanford.

I think Heather Buck was at least recruited by, but I am not sure if accepted at, Stanford. I live near where Heather grew up and followed her in high school, and I often wonder how things might have worked out for her if she had gone to Stanford. Would have been interesting if she had gone there, as well as interesting with Tara reaching into Geno's backyard for a player. While Heather does not seem like a California girl, who knows how her life might have developed at Stanford.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. If she can get into Stanford (and if her two older sisters did, there's a great chance), she will go. I hope Geno is investing no more than token effort in this kid.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe not tomcat. I agree the chances of her going to Stanford are much greater than i think her chances of coming to UCONN are, but one pitch that Geno can make that Stanford can't is that the likelihood of winning a NC is MUCH higher at UCONN than at Stanford.

Sorry Stanford fans, but Tara won NC's in 1990 and 1992. She's certainly made it to the NC game since then, but Geno has won 7 NC's 1995. Tara - 0.

The reality is that the chances of winning a NC are greater at UCONN than they are at Stanford. I think even our Stanford posters would agree. Having said that, Stanford is one of the top schools in the nation, in a great location, and Tara is a great coach. I think it's unlikely that she goes to UCONN, but if NC's are important enough for her, it might be enough to sway her our way...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just trust Geno. If it works out it is supposed to work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom