Geno Image with Recruit Father | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Image with Recruit Father

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the poster was referring to the fact that Geno JUST offered them. I would have assumed he would have offered a while ago.

Yes, that was my point. Shocking to me if they were just offered this week, especially Cox.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, that was my point. Shocking to me if they were just offered this week, especially Cox.
My apologies then.

Although I was just kind of assuming the report wasn't exactly accurate. i.e. they've had an offer, Geno was just reiterating it.

Reaction Score
IMO I think that Gabby Williams will stay at small Forward for the rest of her UCONN career because she is a match-up nightmare for most opponents! Granted there are times her height will be a problem but being 5'11" doesn't hold Nina Davis of Baylor back! More times than not Gabby will have big success because of her off-the-charts athletic ability! Plus as she learns the game her shooting will step out from under the basket to 10' to 12' range!
I agree. She plays very upright and with her jumping ability, plays bigger than 5-11. It doesn't appear that she can play low enough nor does she have the ballhandling ability yet or the shooting range to be out on the wing regularly. As you say she's a match up problem for anyone 6-3 or shorter.

Reaction Score
Here's the key with Gabby and the other potential starters at guard: can they handle a top flight guard on the opposition defensively? Gene went to Gabby when USF's Williams was starting to warm up in the second half of the SAC title game. She did well, and Geno mentioned her defensive work in the post-game.

We know Moriah and Kia can defend. Saniya is still a work in progress and Courtney may try hard but she is a long way from being a reliable defender against an elite guard. I would not be surprised to see Collier, at 6'1" given a shot at defending smaller players. Where they play on the offensive end is almost irrelevant; UConn's offensive sets allow for all sorts of options. But defensive abilities will determine playing time. Gabby will get her minutes because she can move well enough to keep up with a quick and shifty guard. Those who cannot will be limited to mop up duty.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gabby can play "inside" on offense and defend perimeter players. Another reason why labels on UConn players are kinda meaningless. I'm more concerned with minutes distribution than position labels.

JS

Reaction Score
Not so shocking if he wanted to offer in person and never met them before (which he pretty much couldn't have, absent them taking an unofficial visit to UConn). He's watched them play, but could only communicate through their coaches.

I recall he offered Tiff Hayes without a visit to UConn, but don't know how he went about it.

What's kind of interesting, and maybe means nothing, is the odd choice of words in the tweet. What's a "proverbial offer?" Did he mean to say a provisional offer, i.e. as speculated elsewhere in this thread, a first come, first served offer?

Reaction Score
Maybe that's a good idea recruit the parents first lol
But it seems dad is really a fan of Geno. This is great news if she visit. Morgan is from iIllinois. And if we can get Cox also. Geno would be the closest thing to GOD!!!!
I was going to say you must be new here. Then I realized......
No slander, just got a chuckle that someone just discovered Geno.... :)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Not so shocking if he wanted to offer in person and never met them before (which he pretty much couldn't have, absent them taking an unofficial visit to UConn). He's watched them play, but could only communicate through their coach.

As I recall, Geno had been to Champaign once before to watch Tori play. Pretty sure. I don't know how much, if at all, he was allowed by the rules to converse with her.

JS

Reaction Score
As I recall, Geno had been to Champaign once before to watch Tori play. Pretty sure.
Yes. 2013 Visit. No personal contact at the recruit's school was allowed during that year because she was a HS underclassman.

No personal contact is allowed away from the recruiting school's campus before the recruit's Junior year (this year for these recruits), and then only subject to the recruiting calendar.

According to the calendar, there was a Contact Period in September, and we're in another one now for the whole month of March.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't understand why so many BYers believe Morgan Tuck will not use her RShirt year? After all the injury time lost and her good health and her success this season she wouldn't miss that RShirt year for anything! She's having the time of her life plus she's one of the prominent leaders of the team she wouldn't want to leave her teammates high & dry!
Bingo. The WNBA pays rookies something like $50,000 per year. She'd make more overseas, but it's a ton of travel and way lonely. There's not a single UCONN player who's ever left early unless they had injuries that prevented them from playing. There have been only 2 players who have ever left early - Parker and Prince. Maybe there are a few others, but my point is very very few.

Not only do I expect Tuck to come back for her 5th year, but I will be completely stunned if she does not. There is almost zero upside to her leaving early and so many reasons to stick around.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not so shocking if he wanted to offer in person and never met them before (which he pretty much couldn't have, absent them taking an unofficial visit to UConn). He's watched them play, but could only communicate through their coaches.

I recall he offered Tiff Hayes without a visit to UConn, but don't know how he went about it.

What's kind of interesting, and maybe means nothing, is the odd choice of words in the tweet. What's a "proverbial offer?" Did he mean to say a provisional offer, i.e. as speculated elsewhere in this thread, a first come, first served offer?
Just to clarify because this is something I had not understood before. An offer cannot be extended to HS underclassman (Freshmen or Sophomore) unless they make an unofficial visit and all communications with the HS underclassmen must be through the HS coach?

Reaction Score
Except there really won't be that much depth at the 1/2. Really you'll only have Chong, Nurse and Dangerfield. Ekmark and maybe Williams in a pinch.

At the 4/5 you can have Tuck, Butler, Irwin, Boykin along with Collier, Williams and Samuelson if needed (at the 4)
Is Irwin a true 4, more likely a 3, isn't she????

JS

Reaction Score
Just to clarify because this is something I had not understood before. An offer cannot be extended to HS underclassman (Freshmen or Sophomore) unless they make an unofficial visit and all communications with the HS underclassmen must be through the HS coach?
Two separate issues here, Coco: contacts and offers.

1. Contacts. The recruiting school can't initiate contacts with underclassmen. Starting in the prospect's junior year, the school can contact the player only according to the recruiting calendar.

As you see, right now we're in a Contact Period. That's why Geno and CD can go on a home visit. You can look up the meanings of the other three periods, but they're about what they sound like.

Note that we're talking here about in person, off campus visits, generally to the player's school or home. Phone contacts are permissible, within the rules, starting junior year. Here's a chart of what's permissible and when.

Indirect communication, expressions of interest, etc., can always be had through third parties such as the HS or AAU coach (but not through family members; they're as off limits as the player).

Note further that the recruit can always initiate a contact, and can always come to the campus on an unofficial visit (i.e. on her own dime). Official visits (i.e. at the school's expense) are limited by extensive rules.

2. Offers. The school can make an offer anytime it can get through to the player, whether in person or otherwise, according to the contact rules. And the player can verbally accept such an offer anytime. I was positing that Geno as a matter of preference would want to make any offer in person and so could well have done so at the home visit, absent a player visit (unofficial or official) to UConn.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is Irwin a true 4, more likely a 3, isn't she????
I'd say she's more of a 4 than a 3. Kind of like Tuck. A 4 that can drift out to the 3 pt line. But we'll see how she pans out in college.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two separate issues here, Coco: contacts and offers.

1. Contacts. The recruiting school can't initiate contacts with underclassmen. Starting in the prospect's junior year, the school can contact the player only according to the recruiting calendar.

As you see, right now we're in a Contact Period. That's why Geno and CD can go on a home visit. You can look up the meanings of the other three periods, but they're about what they sound like.

Note that we're talking here about in person, off campus visits, generally to the player's school or home. Phone contacts are permissible, within the rules, starting junior year. Here's a chart of what's permissible and when.

Indirect communication, expressions of interest, etc., can always be had through third parties such as the HS or AAU coach (but not through family members; they're as off limits as the player).

Note further that the recruit can always initiate a contact, and can always come to the campus on an unofficial visit (i.e. on her own dime). Official visits (i.e. at the school's expense) are limited by extensive rules.

2. Offers. The school can make an offer anytime it can get through to the player, whether in person or otherwise, according to the contact rules. And the player can verbally accept such an offer anytime. I was positing that Geno as a matter of preference would want to make any offer in person and so could well have done so at the home visit, absent a player visit (unofficial or official) to UConn.
Thanks for the clarifications. I was confused between what is permissible & what Geno likes and has done in the past. This clears things up a great deal.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Here's the key with Gabby and the other potential starters at guard: can they handle a top flight guard on the opposition defensively? Gene went to Gabby when USF's Williams was starting to warm up in the second half of the SAC title game. She did well, and Geno mentioned her defensive work in the post-game.

We know Moriah and Kia can defend. Saniya is still a work in progress and Courtney may try hard but she is a long way from being a reliable defender against an elite guard. I would not be surprised to see Collier, at 6'1" given a shot at defending smaller players. Where they play on the offensive end is almost irrelevant; UConn's offensive sets allow for all sorts of options. But defensive abilities will determine playing time. Gabby will get her minutes because she can move well enough to keep up with a quick and shifty guard. Those who cannot will be limited to mop up duty.
You do realize that when UConn needed someone to shut down Mitchell in the USCar game that the player Geno turned to was Chong, right? So maybe the "work in progress" kind of progressed while you weren't watching? Every player can have their better match-ups against other teams, but as noted many times before, when Chong and Stokes have entered many of the games during the second half of the year, the opponents stop scoring.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought I'd bump this thread back up to go along with the McCoy news. I do recall, perhaps inaccurately, that there was dust in the air at the time of the home visit of the father being a potential issue, so the pix of Geno and him sorta knocked that down and then there was dad's statement - the kind of statement that is sorta generic actually. Who would not like to collect an offer from UConn. Myself, I have always preferred Cox, though I will be pleasantly surprised if she comes to UConn. Unlike a poster in the other thread, I see considerable future upside for Cox - both in physicality and her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom