Geno: Huskies Hiding Weaknesses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno: Huskies Hiding Weaknesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Been thinking a little bit about this quote from exactly one month ago after the Chattanooga game:
“I hope these ranked teams are as good as everybody says they are because we need to get out (butts) beat soon and bad so that some of our guys realize that this is not as easy as they think it is,” Auriemma said. “I know they (DePaul) are good, I know Texas is good and I know the team we are playing next Wednesday (Notre Dame) is really good so I am hoping all the teams that are after that are really, really good because we need a good old fashioned (butt) kicking right now.”
Well ... they were good, but not as good as everybody said they were ... or maybe this Uconn team doesn't need old fashioned butt kickings to find the needed motivation. Maybe this team understands and is embracing just how hard this really is.

Happy New Year, All!

What a glorious 2016 Uconn WCBB has given us!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Got to Google type in Courant: uconn (in this case) type UCF and you see a list of articles --pick one related to the thread]

no account needed --read the full article--have fun.
Wouldn't work on Chrome, but it opened on Mozilla. Thank for the suggestions. What I've come to expect from all of you typically thoughtful BY-ers.

Reaction Score
Incognito mode not available for me on that site.
Then, as others have suggested (my version), just click the link, look at the article title quickly before the Courant site covers it up with their obnoxious, "You've already used your 5 articles for this month" BS, and type an approximation of the article title into your search engine along with "Courant." 99% of the time you will get the article as the first search result, and 100% of the time it won't block you from reading it.

Reaction Score
Then, as others have suggested (my version), just click the link, look at the article title quickly before the Courant site covers it up with their obnoxious, "You've already used your 5 articles for this month" BS, and type an approximation of the article title into your search engine along with "Courant." 99% of the time you will get the article as the first search result, and 100% of the time it won't block you from reading it.

I've tried your approach --as soon as I try to move any thing any where--Courant captures it and I'm like a twisted fastener.

Reaction Score
Been thinking a little bit about this quote from exactly one month ago after the Chattanooga game:
“I hope these ranked teams are as good as everybody says they are because we need to get out (butts) beat soon and bad so that some of our guys realize that this is not as easy as they think it is,” Auriemma said. “I know they (DePaul) are good, I know Texas is good and I know the team we are playing next Wednesday (Notre Dame) is really good so I am hoping all the teams that are after that are really, really good because we need a good old fashioned (butt) kicking right now.”
Well ... they were good, but not as good as everybody said they were ... or maybe this Uconn team doesn't need old fashioned butt kickings to find the needed motivation. Maybe this team understands and is embracing just how hard this really is.

Happy New Year, All!

What a glorious 2016 Uconn WCBB has given us!
After the SERIOUS performance of Gabby (wow, love that girl), Collier (young Miss 100%), Katie Lou (if there is an award for toughing out a performance--it's Katie Lou's), Kia (Toughest step up and lead we've ever had)---and then Chong
(the last kid you'd expect to step up and make the (multiple) big plays) Natalie (when the chip are down she pays off)

This Uconn team, Geno's words not withstand, has taken THAT BEATING and rolled with the best punches ---and came out on top (I can't say they are 'winners" yet--that's in April). If Geno had a plan to put them through Marine, Special Forces, Troopers --kick you butt--testing. He's done it!!

What do you think of this group now Geno///>>>>>

Happy New Years UCMiami--and All--may your fondest wishes come true, may you and your loved ones have a happy and HEAlTHY new year. Enjoy life---its the most precious gift ever given (thank you Mom!).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Let's talk about Geno, the Master, and reverse psychology. When Geno talks about "hiding his team's weaknesses" he is really attempting to hide his team's strengths.

They have no size so let's force the ball into the post. After Gabby & the Huskies swarming defense make a half dozen steals turning them into easy fast break buckets at the other end you are left scratching your head.

They have no depth so let's run them. By the end of the game your team is exhausted, trailing by double-digits.

Geno = Crazy like a fox.

Reaction Score
I've tried your approach --as soon as I try to move any thing any where--Courant captures it and I'm like a twisted fastener.
I usually have to close one big pop-up, then just keep your cursor in the white spaces and be quick (Courant site is SO obnoxious - like playing whack-a-mole and you're the mole).

Reaction Score
Geno (and many others in the sports world, no doubt) have talked about what happens when your team gets figuratively punched in the face. Some teams wilt, others survive and respond. The 10-11 / 11-12 UConn teams were sometimes not able to respond, especially against ND. Same with the 12-13 team prior to Stewart coming into her own in the tournament.

Too early to write the story of this year's team. But in this first part of the season, they have thus far been able to respond to being punched in the face. It's been impressive because they've had to figure out the response without deferring to any Stewarts or Tucks or Jeffersons.

Well, regardless of what they end up doing, they've already exceeded my performance expectations. I had them pegged for about four losses this year, even if they stayed healthy. Now I think the realistic number for a healthy team is no worse than two losses. Again, we'll see...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Our biggest edge against USC is not that we are at home (we do some of our best work on the road) but USC can really have some real stinker offensive games. The curse of the SEC. They simply do not have an elite offense and when they get into these 4 minute scoreless stretches, we will have one of our 12 pt runs and that will be that. If the game is close due to some inspired offense, (30% chance;)), we will simply shut down the biggest offensive threats during some half time tweaks.

I agree the offense is their real Achilles heel. I was watching the UCLA game and told my wife, "If they can only manage six points in the first quarter against UCLA, that bodes well for the UConn game." Coates and Wilson should both be automatic double-doubles every game, but Coates gets into foul trouble frequently, and Wilson just seems to go missing occasionally. Cuevas is a blast to watch, but still a work in progress. I would think with one of the best point guards ever coaching her, she would have picked up a little more pass-first mentality than she has. But that's a team effort, too, and as has been said repeatedly in this thread, motion on offense seems to be becoming rarer, and SC is a case in point.

Reaction Score
Realistically, only USC has a chance to end the streak. Our edge is playing the Gamecockies in CT. Go on, Geno, dare to DREAM.

Hopefully more AAC teams step up like USF to give UConn some tough competition to keep them on edge.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree the offense is their real Achilles heel. I was watching the UCLA game and told my wife, "If they can only manage six points in the first quarter against UCLA, that bodes well for the UConn game." Coates and Wilson should both be automatic double-doubles every game, but Coates gets into foul trouble frequently, and Wilson just seems to go missing occasionally. Cuevas is a blast to watch, but still a work in progress. I would think with one of the best point guards ever coaching her, she would have picked up a little more pass-first mentality than she has. But that's a team effort, too, and as has been said repeatedly in this thread, motion on offense seems to be becoming rarer, and SC is a case in point.
I have been really unimpressed by Dawn's development of guards and PGs in particular - maybe she just hasn't gotten the right raw material in her recruiting efforts, but ... SC since her arrival has been pretty post oriented, which as you say is surprising with one of the great PGs as head coach.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The biggest difference that makes UConn so domin8 is they break you down mentally. Geno is a master at that in preparing his team for every game. Genos remarks throw everybody off as he plays it down especially always coming across as his team isnt that good. Intimidation of the thought of playing UConn, seeing them come out on the court when your warming up and then seeing their name on their uniform. The aura of playing UConn. UConns defense that never lets up because they are in such great shape. All this and Im sure there are a few I forgot get inside opponents heads and its tuff to shake it. UConn wins most games before they get on the court for alot of reasons but non more then as an opponent knowing theyre playing UConn. How many teams think they can beat UConn? Most likely many think they can but inside that court in their brain they know its unlikely and when the game starts and UConn starts making plays the belief slowly disappears. Bottom line they get inside opponents heads and the fear factor alone kills the belief.

Reaction Score
The biggest difference that makes UConn so domin8 is they break you down mentally. Geno is a master at that in preparing his team for every game. Genos remarks throw everybody off as he plays it down especially always coming across as his team isnt that good. Intimidation of the thought of playing UConn, seeing them come out on the court when your warming up and then seeing their name on their uniform. The aura of playing UConn. UConns defense that never lets up because they are in such great shape. All this and Im sure there are a few I forgot get inside opponents heads and its tuff to shake it. UConn wins most games before they get on the court for alot of reasons but non more then as an opponent knowing theyre playing UConn. How many teams think they can beat UConn? Most likely many think they can but inside that court in their brain they know its unlikely and when the game starts and UConn starts making plays the belief slowly disappears. Bottom line they get inside opponents heads and the fear factor alone kills the belief.

One wonders if the pressure of having to play a "flawless" game against UConn stresses even the quality opposition into hesitant play (too much thinking). A consistent comment from opposing coaches is how UConn will always capitalize on your mistakes and moments of lapsed concentration. Maryland played loose and emotionally under control the entire game, even after falling behind by 19 - fearless, as we would say. USC is another team that plays loose and thus poses a real threat. The difference to me is that USC typically plays with an emotional compass that swings widely, particularly when faced with adversity (a little like Baylor did when things got away from them in the 4th last month). Maryland OTOH appeared to stay fairly cool and professional throughout the game, much like Stanford often has in past encounters. There were moments in that game I really thought the Terps were going to catch the Huskies and send things into OT, shades of 2014.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Funnily enough I have a friend doing his PHD on pre-wa
Haydn has been put aside for a study of postwar New York indy orchestras...
But right now is ski time in the NE Kingdom
Funnily enough I have a friend doing his PHD on pre-war concepts of fidelity in music. Yesterday during a listening session with a few avid classical music lovers we were discussing Toscanni and the NBC Orchestra.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Funnily enough I have a friend doing his PHD on pre-wa

Funnily enough I have a friend doing his PHD on pre-war concepts of fidelity in music. Yesterday during a listening session with a few avid classical music lovers we were discussing Toscanni and the NBC Orchestra.

The Symphony of the Air (the orchestra that the NBC morphed into when Toscanini retired) is one of my interests...turned into a failing free-lance group.

I formed the Orchestra of St Luke's in '74 but knew little of the other start-ups especially that of Tommy Dunn (58-67 in NY, later in Boston)...the focus of my interest at present

Reaction Score
Just what we need,more taxi cab drivers with PHD'S in pre-war concepts of fidelity in music.lol

JordyG

Reaction Score
Just what we need,more taxi cab drivers with PHD'S in pre-war concepts of fidelity in music.lol
Send me a copy of your PHD and I'll make a different kind of coaster or maybe a cozy. Along with a SASE of course.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The Symphony of the Air (the orchestra that the NBC morphed into when Toscanini retired) is one of my interests...turned into a failing free-lance group.

I formed the Orchestra of St Luke's in '74 but knew little of the other start-ups especially that of Tommy Dunn (58-67 in NY, later in Boston)...the focus of my interest at present
Are you MF?

Reaction Score
USC is like many Top 5 or 7 teams (with the movement I don't know who is what number) load of talent and individually if they are allowed to run rampant--they will beat you--when they must play as a team--not so much.
One of the many (open) secrets of uConn is they can play you one on one or beat you as a team--your defense gives them the choice. Do I think USC can beat UConn --yes. But don't think i have any expertise --i picked Baylor and nD to beat Uconn--what do i know////????
What are your odds in regard to USC beating UConn? I'm not sure if you think they WILL beat us or you are talking of the POSSIBILITY that they could? Hypothetically I think they could but I'd be stunned were they to do it because I think they are very offensively challenged the vast majority of the time. We'll have to wait for a while to see if they actually do, won't we?

Reaction Score
What are your odds in regard to USC beating UConn? I'm not sure if you think they WILL beat us or you are talking of the POSSIBILITY that they could? Hypothetically I think they could but I'd be stunned were they to do it because I think they are very offensively challenged the vast majority of the time. We'll have to wait for a while to see if they actually do, won't we?

No matter what teams play ---there is always---always--the POSSIBILITY OF ONE OF THEM WINNING--even with Stewie or DT or Maya---I thought a good possibility they'd lose--Probabilities being what they are! The only Geno team I thought wouldn't lose was Sue, Swin, Asia(sp), Tamika and DT--and they lost to ND.

Reaction Score
It almost seems that you are suggesting that there are other teams, maybe even more than a few, that are BETTER than UConn but that there are psychological reasons why they lose. They are more talented and maybe even better coached but there's an aura around these teams that causes hesitation and mental lapses thus allowing a less talented team to prevail. I think when you emphasize this type of effect you are almost diminishing the quality of the players on this team and their preparation and of course, the coaching genius of Geno and Company. It doesn't seem like you can have it both ways. Is Geno's team the best in the land or just the product of psychological warfare? If they put another school's uniform on, would the Huskies still be undefeated and a four time defending champion??? There was that suggestion that Notre Dame teams were able to override THE CURSE! I just thought I'd throw this out there for a reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom