Geno hates | The Boneyard

Geno hates

Reaction Score
Playing at XL. He was quoted other day in newspaper. He prefers playing all games at Gampel.

Reaction Score
Simple. Move Hartford to Storrs.
I agree.. they should have rebuilt gampel or enlarged it so that we never have to play in Hartford. The students don’t want to get on a bus at 11 am on a Saturday down to Hartford or on a weeknight for that matter. That’s why there’s never any at those noon weekend games. It’s more palatable to roll out of bed with a hangover from McMahon Hall and walk 100 feet to the game than to wait in the cold and get on a bus to Hartford at 11 am on a Saturday.

Reaction Score
Move the state capitol to Storrs.
Well if Hartford is destroyed in a nuclear attack, there is, or at least was, a plan to do just that. I forget which building, but there is, or at least was, an emergency Governor’s Office in the basement. Pretty cool yet a bit frightening too.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
What if we took the XL Center and pushed it over to Storrs?

Reaction Score
Well... he shouldn't complain. he drew more today than all the MEN game at XL Center so far (except PC)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Because Geno ain't filling the house anymore, and he's not trying to pay the bills

Is there anyone that knows what the school thinks will happen to donations? There's no doubt they drop, but by how much?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno hasn’t won a lot of big games as of late either, who can blame him! :eek:
I know, right? His team is “only” ranked 10th in the nation.

(And likely to go up since they just beat the seventh team in the nation.)

Reaction Score
Ultimately, there will be a decision on the future of the XL Center and that decision will determine where UConn men's basketball, women's basketball, and men's hockey will play games.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's what Geno also said about the XL:

"[N]ow if all of a sudden it starts to look like some of the other places we play, then I will tell you OK let's play half of our entire schedule over there."

Reaction Score

"[N]ow if all of a sudden it starts to look like some of the other places we play, then I will tell you OK let's play half of our entire schedule over there."
Let’s be real here. The XL Center will never look like the arenas he’s talking about.

Reaction Score

So Geno is complaining about the condition of the XL, not the fact they have to play there at all. Big difference

CL82

Reaction Score
So Geno is complaining about the condition of the XL, not the fact they have to play there at all. Big difference
Maybe a distinction and not a difference since he has to play in the XL as it is and not as one imagines it might be. For what it’s worth he was very unequivocal about his hating the current XL Center

Reaction Score
We experimented with a game in Bridgeport back in 2014 and 2015. One thing I wish the mens team took more advantage of is playing a game at Mohegan. I know the women have played multiple regular season games there over the last 10 years or so. To me, Mohegan would be a perfect place to hold a game in December or January when the students are on winter break. I know they would never schedule a Big East game there, but playing a Binghampton or Coppin St at Mohegan on a Saturday in December would be a nice alternative to playing at the XL Center when you know It’s probably not going to be a sellout.

Reaction Score
I know, right? His team is “only” ranked 10th in the nation.

(And likely to go up since they just beat the seventh team in the nation.)
Let’s be honest they’re losing a lot of big games and the parity isn’t the mens game. He’s been out coached a few times in the last couple years like it or not. I know women’s fans dare someone to say he’s been out coached but it’s more often than not in big games.

CL82

Reaction Score
Let’s be honest they’re losing a lot of big games and the parity isn’t the mens game. He’s been out coached a few times in the last couple years like it or not. I know women’s fans dare someone to say he’s been out coached but it’s more often than not in big games.
I guess in that anytime a team loses you can make the argument that they’ve been outcoached. I also think the women’s game has more parity than back in the days when you could flip a coin at the start of the season with heads being Connecticut and tails being Tennessee and have a decent shot at picking the winner.

Reaction Score
We experimented with a game in Bridgeport back in 2014 and 2015. One thing I wish the mens team took more advantage of is playing a game at Mohegan. I know the women have played multiple regular season games there over the last 10 years or so. To me, Mohegan would be a perfect place to hold a game in December or January when the students are on winter break. I know they would never schedule a Big East game there, but playing a Binghampton or Coppin St at Mohegan on a Saturday in December would be a nice alternative to playing at the XL Center when you know It’s probably not going to be a sellout.
Unless it's part of some early season tournament there is no chance this would happen. Absolutely no reason to pay rent to an arena to sell fewer tickets than Gampel

Reaction Score
I think the games in Bridgeport were a success. Both the women's and men's sold out each year. Playing a non conference game in December there makes a lot of sense, If I remember correctly the games were against Eastern Washington and Colombia. Playing ai team of that caliber there again would be great, We make the trip from Fairfield to Storrs or Hartford several times a year but having a game less than twenty minutes from home would be great.

I believe one of the reasons given for not playing in Bridgeport anymore was the cost of renting the facility twice each year for the men and women. I would think that to maximize revenue you could rent the arena for one day and have a day/night double header with separate admissions. I think the fan bases of the men's and women's teams are unique enough that both games would sell out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom