Geno for COY [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno for COY [merged thread]

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
No biases here, but Coach K (Lawson) deserves consideration if you are gonna put Roberts as an option. Currently #1 in the ACC after being picked to finish #7 in the league (only a few votes ahead of #8) There really isn't much difference between Utah and Duke in terms of the metrics. Again, speaking as an unbiased fan.
Good mention—Lawson is a solid candidate too. I think she’s right in the mix with the other 3.

Reaction Score
I think it’s a toss up between Moren and Roberts. No one thought Utah was going to be good this year and they’re top 4 nationally. Could also make a strong case for Staley going undefeated. UCONN has had a lot of adversity and put together a solid season but I don’t think Geno’s a top candidate this year.
Roberts has an eye for talent as well. No one, except Roberts, thought Kneepkens was anything special coming out of high school. No one, even Roberts, thought she had signed the next PAC-12 Freshman of the Year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Lawson has done a solid job but not worthy of consideration for National COY. Moren is my choice and I think Frese also deserves consideration when you consider the players she lost and the lack of a post player. The Big 10 is the best conference.

Reaction Score
I think Moren wins it. But I was going to mention Frese. They were picked 17th in the polls and are probably one victory away from a top 5 ranking. They have no post players and she was working in 9 new players. Here are my top 4

Moren
Roberts (tie)
Lawson (tie)
Frese

I had Geno ahead of Frese until last night loss on their home court.

Reaction Score
It's Teri Moren's to lose. Let's not forget she lost 3 starters, added 3 transfers and lost Berger for 9 games and frankly has dominated the Big10 that has 4 other top teams, more than anyone else.
She has played a very strong schedule without any highly acclaimed AAs.

Geno and the staff have done a remarkable job just keep their own sanity dealing with the injuries and numerous off court issues including Chris Daily's fainting, Geno's mom's passing, the constant season injuries they have to deal with and the media speculation. Add in the bulls eye that UConn always has on their back and the constant naysayers like Deb Antonelli, who slight them at every opportunity and I can see and understand why the sentiment is for Geno.

My vote though is for Moren but I would not be upset if Geno won....:rolleyes:
Yeah, Coach Moren is up there as well. She has done an amazing job at Indiana this year. But Coach Geno, dealing with all of that what UConn is going through and only playing six to seven players, COY in my book.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yeah, Coach Moren is up there as well. She has done an amazing job at Indiana this year. But Coach Geno, dealing with all of that what UConn is going through and only playing six to seven players, COY in my book.
I don’t consider Geno as COY but I do think he and his staff have done an amazing job. Sometimes I look at other teams and wonder what their season would look like if they had lost the equivalent of Paige and Ice for the season and Azzi for 20 games and counting.

It’s easy to forget what has happened to this team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Geno has indeed done a masterful job. For UConn, with the injuries, to be where it is - incredible.

However, I do think coach of the year will go to Moren (most likely) or one of the other mentions. Apart from anything else, Geno is expected to be near the top of the pack - and may indeed win in the future when he doesn't have to deal with all these injuries. The other coaches were largely not expected to be there, but are.

To be fair, the coach of the year is - like MVP - subject to interpretation. It is easier to see who it isn't than to pick among the deserving candidates.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. He and his staff have developed some of the best players ever from the bench. There are quite a few, but I'm only going to name one. Gabby Williams was really fun to watch develop from her freshman year (mainly defense, rebounding, and break-aways) to the all around beast that she still is today. As far as this year is concerned, Geno has stated many times over the years (including this year many times) that he develops trust in his players from practices. But over the last two months, because of the injury and lack of players situation they have not been able to have regular practices. He has tried to use his bench players, but they have not been producing points. Because of this, all of the pressure has been on the starters.
Gabby's developed into the player she is today after starting to play in Europe. Seems she was given free range to play her game,, which I don't think she ever felt at UConn or Chicago. Few players today have the ability to affect a game in so many ways.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't see any way that the Indiana coach won't be the national coach of the year. A lot of coaches have done good jobs this year and many have overcome some difficult situations but when it come down to the winner it will be based on the record and Indiana is the clear winner here. The only team with a better record is SC and that was expected so it will be Indiana then LSU for coach honors.

Reaction Score
Geno deserves COY for what he has done considering all the injuries. UConn's easily a 10-loss team without Geno.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don’t consider Geno as COY but I do think he and his staff have done an amazing job. Sometimes I look at other teams and wonder what their season would look like if they had lost the equivalent of Paige and Ice for the season and Azzi for 20 games and counting.

It’s easy to forget what has happened to this team.
The probable nation COY lost a game when Grace Berger was out injured. Just saying.

Reaction Score
After readings these posts Geno for COY I'm a little confused and it's not first time for me as to the meaning of COY. After hearing Geno complain on national TV and on after game pressers about the ref. calls then throwing a water bottle on the court plus saying the team didn't respond after the Johnny's loss. Does COY mean Geno for Coach of the year or Geno for Crybaby of the year?
Just sayin !.

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Gabby's developed into the player she is today after starting to play in Europe. Seems she was given free range to play her game,, which I don't think she ever felt at UConn or Chicago. Few players today have the ability to affect a game in so many ways.
Notwithstanding my agreement that Gabby has reached new breathtaking heights after turning pro, your post shows a lack of awareness or understanding of playing in Europe. The European game does not encourage “free range” for players “to play their game”. Rather, at all levels in all leagues across the continent, the players are given tremendous support to expand their abilities while fitting into a structured, disciplined, and beautiful style of team play. This has been true not just for the clubs Gabby has played for, but also for the French National team where Gabby helped lead France to the bronze medal.

Your implication that UConn did not allow her the opportunity to “play her game” is also misguided. The Gabulous One’s amazing, storybook basketball career was filled with well-earned personal and team achievements, just as she hoped it would be when she spurned opportunities to play close to home (Nevada) and come across the country to Storrs. By her own account, her basketball prowess was nurtured and developed at UConn, where she was given continuous opportunities to showcase her talents while expanding her skill sets and strengthening her weaknesses. She was not held back in any manner whatsoever. Just the opposite - she was continually challenged in ways that other 5’11 phenoms would never be at any other school. In short, at UConn Gabby was given the opportunity to spread her wings and soar – and she did.

Reaction Score
Notwithstanding my agreement that Gabby has reached new breathtaking heights after turning pro, your post shows a lack of awareness or understanding of playing in Europe. The European game does not encourage “free range” for players “to play their game”. Rather, at all levels in all leagues across the continent, the players are given tremendous support to expand their abilities while fitting into a structured, disciplined, and beautiful style of team play. This has been true not just for the clubs Gabby has played for, but also for the French National team where Gabby helped lead France to the bronze medal.

Your implication that UConn did not allow her the opportunity to “play her game” is also misguided. The Gabulous One’s amazing, storybook basketball career was filled with well-earned personal and team achievements, just as she hoped it would be when she spurned opportunities to play close to home (Nevada) and come across the country to Storrs. By her own account, her basketball prowess was nurtured and developed at UConn, where she was given continuous opportunities to showcase her talents while expanding her skill sets and strengthening her weaknesses. She was not held back in any manner whatsoever. Just the opposite - she was continually challenged in ways that other 5’11 phenoms would never be at any other school. In short, at UConn Gabby was given the opportunity to spread her wings and soar – and she did.
If only Gabby made the very short jumper against ND..the Gabby, KLS, Naphesa, Nurse teams deserved a Title on their own..

Reaction Score

"Free to play" perhaps not the best choice of words. You mention European coaches supporting players in expanding their games. Perhaps this is exactly what she needed in order to develop a very good all-round game. I think that she finally began to play without fear, finally felt the freedom to work on an expanded game.
She came to UConn as a player who already had a strong 2-dimensional game. And I guess it's fair to say that her rebounding and defense got even better. But I really expected by her 3rd and 4th years that her game would begin to expand offensively. I saw very little evidence that she was coached in such a way that she could strengthen that part of her game. Stood around a lot, very little taking the ball to the basket, rarely shooting in the 15-17 foot range. I can't believe you would think her offensive game got stronger those last 2 years.
The Sky continued to see her as a defender and rebounder, not an offensive threat, though she always was a good passer. Maybe that's why Wade played her at the point, of all places..
So what does her offensive game look like now? Good penetrator, can shoot the pull-up, is a pretty good ball handler& passer, and even hoists up threes now and then. Of course,, still one of the best shut-down defenders in women's basketball. Thank heavens for support from European coaches. Her development may have been set back a few years, but she has really "spread her offensive wings" the last couple of years.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Absolutely correct. The idea that Gabby's game was held back by Geno has to be one of the worst takes ever on this board, but not surprising considering the source.

When she arrived at UConn Gabby told Geno she was a point guard. Geno had other ideas, primarily because back then she didn't handle the ball well enough or shoot well enough to play guard at UConn. Geno turned her into a point-center, put her at the elbow and, during her final 2 years, ran his offense through her. From a Courant story back then:

“We’re a good passing team,” Auriemma said, “and it’s not just our guards. Most times, if you look at basketball closely, when the guards have the ball good things happen. And a lot of times when they pass it to a big guy on the wing, or even on the high post, the offense dies unless that guy shoots it because they can only make plays for themselves. So we spend a lot of time looking for and recruiting wings, post players that can make a play, and not just for themselves. People who have been following our program know it has been like that for long, long time.”

“I’ve always known how to pass,” Williams said, “it’s natural for me. It’s a lot of our offense, the way we run things. We run a lot of things through the middle, we play a lot of high-low. Our mentality requires big guys to want to distribute the ball. … I love being the ‘point-center.’ When coach told me my freshman year I was going to stay in the paint, I was like, ‘ohhh, this not what I do. But learning I can still handle the ball and make those decisions has been fun for me.”

What did Gabby do during her final 2 years at UConn? As junior she averaged 14 ppg and led the entire team with 190 assists. She was given the ball and created for herself and her teammates (Lou and Napheesa). As a senior she once again led her team in assists with 191. She did all this while being the team's best defender and one of its leading rebounders. In 2017 she was a USBWA All American, AP 2nd team All American and WBCA Defensive POY. In many games, including big games, she was the best player on the floor and commentators and opposing coaches said as much. Geno continually encouraged her to expand her shooting range to make her even more difficult to guard. She became a pretty solid shooter from 12-15 feet but never felt confident taking 3s.

I guess if you're going to blame Geno for an outstanding college career you're left no choice but to blame the WNBA coaches a less than outstanding WNBA career. Her game has not translated as well to the WNBA because at her size and given the style of play in the WNBA she has to play on the wing and has to make perimeter shots. The offense on her WNBA teams did not run through Gabby like it did at UConn. She still struggles with her perimeter shooting as evidenced by her time in Chicago and in Seattle last season.

Gabby has become an excellent European professional. Why would we not expect a player as gifted as Gabby to improve and excel as a professional in an environment suitable to her style of play? Basketball is her job. Aren't professionals supposed to get better? Aren't they supposed to grow their games? Of course, if they are serious about their craft which we know Gabby is. Only on the Boneyard does a former UConn player doing well get turned into negativity towards Geno. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
IDK, there have been plenty of posters here on the BY that don't think Geno's been using his bench correctly. :rolleyes:
I don't believe that's true. Even suggesting the use of A BODY to relieve battle worn, mentally torn exhausted kids isn't heresy or anti-Geno--it's just about RELIEF.
It is true GENO did wonders for 2 years fighting Virus and injuries---RELIEF --obviously is needed.

No one is attempting to give Geno advise---as POSTERS---we post---Geno Coaches, don't mix one up with the other--

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's not forget she lost 3 starters,
Just 3?
no way whatever GIF

Reaction Score

Last year and this year were two of his finest coaching jobs of his career. Indeed, they were two of the finest examples of coaching in any sport ever. Recall that the previous year, his player of the year, Paige Bueckers, went down early on. The remaining team members just looked at each other and tried to figure out what to do at first. But Coach Geno melded that group into not just a coherent team, but a team that, with Paige returning for the playoffs, but clearly not the player she was before her injury, still made it into the national championship game.

This year he's lost arguably a Top Five team for most of the year: Paige, Azzi, CD, Patterson for some games, and others. He's only been able to play five players who are effective for most of the season. Yet they have won all but five games, and been in all of those games at the end, even against the defending national champions South Carolina.

That is absolutely brilliant coaching. And he did it this year while suffering the pangs of loss from his mother's death, a loss that sent him into a depression, and kept him off the sidelines for several days.

A classic of coaching genius. A brilliant job of toughness for the ages.

His legend grows.

Reaction Score
Love your positivity. Even over the Indiana coach?
UTAH WBB also has been remarkable, a complete turnaround over two years,
But then GENO's job last year and this year are incredible... the story is still be written!!
As someone just said: " Honestly... I thought it (his coaching job) was MONEY ",
Using some poetic license there!!!

Reaction Score
With all the injuries, Geno and his staff kept the team winning, 25-5, and regular season Big East Champs!
Lost to #1 SC without Azzi by only 4, closer than anyone else this year!
So what's your opinion?
I'd say Geno and his staff have done their best coaching this year!

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As opposed to Indiana, LSU, Utah. Even Maryland. Even Texas is working their way up the ranks. Quite a few coaches have had very successful seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom