Geno for COY [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Geno for COY [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Geno has done a wonderful job keeping the team together through all the injuries, just like he did last year. UCONN was #6 preseason with the expectation that everyone was healthy and playing, so to be #6 under these circumstances is something special. Chances are that Teri Moren of Indiana will win coach of the year awards, but perhaps Geno can be the badass coach of the year!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This has been a whole new experience for Geno despite all the years he's been coaching. He and the staff have really tried so many things outside their usual toolbox to navigate this season. Super job.

Reaction Score
Love your positivity. Even over the Indiana coach?
Absolutely! I think what Geno has done with this team is far more impressive. Clearly, the Indiana has done an exceptional job with her team but Geno has basically won his conference, is a likely one seed, and a viable threat to win it all, while only being able to play five players (effective ones) for a large part of the year. His best, second best, arguably third or fourth bestplayer, and his best recruit have all been either out for the entire season or for most of the season! His Associate Head Coach collapsed on the floor once, his mother passed away, He himself has been under the weather for long periods and on top of all that, he has had to reduce practice time (and therefore) coverage, yet in spite of all that, his team finds itself right where UConn has been for decades! I doubt there’s another coach (and staff) in the country that could have done the same!

Reaction Score
No coach could have done better. But, the lion's share of the credit for everything good that has happened this year has to go to the kids who refuse to lay down and play dead. Maybe not the best, but the most determined and resilient 5 (now 6) of all time for UConn.

Reaction Score
No coach in the college game, men or women, have been able to game plan better than Geno. He has great players to start with but they are always prepared and they always play hard. My only complaint with Geno over the years is he doesn't develop his bench. It isn't a this year thing, it is just more obvious this year because of injury, but he has always had 7 players maybe 8 occasionally that he counts on to contribute in a meaningful way.

Since CD has returned he hasn't gotten AE or NM a minute of rest and I just worry it won't be sustainable in the tournament. Look no further than 2-3 quarter production the past month for some evidence of fatigue. Yesterday they went to the basket much better than in previous games and that really worked.

Reaction Score
Geno has done a masterful job of coaching and clearly loves this team but I doubt he will given the credit he deserves since the UConn starting players are considered top notch compared to those on some of the other teams that have overachieved this season....

Reaction Score
My only complaint with Geno over the years is he doesn't develop his bench.
I certainly can't rattle stats off the top of my head, but you just can't tell me that this is true. We've seen in the past where players make the leap in sophomore or junior year and end up starting (or are first in line for next man up).

Reaction Score
Thank you Nan. Waited since New Years for this to get rolling. The greatest basketball coach doing his greatest coacing…right now. Let the happy and typically BY brilliant analyses begin.

KCD

Reaction Score
I certainly can't rattle stats off the top of my head, but you just can't tell me that this is true. We've seen in the past where players make the leap in sophomore or junior year and end up starting (or are first in line for next man up).
I completely agree. He and his staff have developed some of the best players ever from the bench. There are quite a few, but I'm only going to name one. Gabby Williams was really fun to watch develop from her freshman year (mainly defense, rebounding, and break-aways) to the all around beast that she still is today. As far as this year is concerned, Geno has stated many times over the years (including this year many times) that he develops trust in his players from practices. But over the last two months, because of the injury and lack of players situation they have not been able to have regular practices. He has tried to use his bench players, but they have not been producing points. Because of this, all of the pressure has been on the starters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think there will be a unanimous choice, and the various organizations that give the awards might have different winners. I suspect Teri Moran of Indiana will win at least one. They began the year with a converted guard (Grace Berger) at point guard, then lost her for a month-plus, so Chloe Moore-McNeill, who AFAIK had never played point, had to take over. They lost one game with Berger out and have nine wins against ranked opponents.

We all know what Geno's done.

Utah was unranked to begin the season and have risen into the top-5 at times. Lynne Roberts certainly deserves some attention.

A lot of programs have had ups and downs this year. There was a point when I thought Florida State was really trending up, and I think Brooke Wyckoff has done a great job there. If Ohio State had maintained their torrid start a little longer, I would have thought McGuff might get the nod, but they've really imploded spectacularly. (That's an example of what COULD HAVE happened to UConn but didn't.) If South Carolina remains undefeated, Dawn will certainly get some votes.

Reaction Score
I don't think there will be a unanimous choice, and the various organizations that give the awards might have different winners. I suspect Teri Moran of Indiana will win at least one. They began the year with a converted guard (Grace Berger) at point guard, then lost her for a month-plus, so Chloe Moore-McNeill, who AFAIK had never played point, had to take over. They lost one game with Berger out and have nine wins against ranked opponents.

We all know what Geno's done.

Utah was unranked to begin the season and have risen into the top-5 at times. Lynne Roberts certainly deserves some attention.

A lot of programs have had ups and downs this year. There was a point when I thought Florida State was really trending up, and I think Brooke Wyckoff has done a great job there. If Ohio State had maintained their torrid start a little longer, I would have thought McGuff might get the nod, but they've really imploded spectacularly. (That's an example of what COULD HAVE happened to UConn but didn't.) If South Carolina remains undefeated, Dawn will certainly get some votes.
Roberts definitely deserves some attention, and that kid Kneepkens, that plays for her is a heck of a player.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's Teri Moren's to lose. Let's not forget she lost 3 starters, added 3 transfers and lost Berger for 9 games and frankly has dominated the Big10 that has 4 other top teams, more than anyone else.
She has played a very strong schedule without any highly acclaimed AAs.

Geno and the staff have done a remarkable job just keep their own sanity dealing with the injuries and numerous off court issues including Chris Daily's fainting, Geno's mom's passing, the constant season injuries they have to deal with and the media speculation. Add in the bulls eye that UConn always has on their back and the constant naysayers like Deb Antonelli, who slight them at every opportunity and I can see and understand why the sentiment is for Geno.

My vote though is for Moren but I would not be upset if Geno won....:rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's Teri Moren's to lose. Let's not forget she lost 3 starters, added 3 transfers and lost Berger for 9 games and frankly has dominated the Big10 that has 4 other top teams, more than anyone else.
She has played a very strong schedule without any highly acclaimed AAs.

Geno and the staff have done a remarkable job just keep their own sanity dealing with the injuries and numerous off court issues including Chris Daily's fainting, Geno's mom's passing, the constant season injuries they have to deal with and the media speculation. Add in the bulls eye that UConn always has on their back and the constant naysayers like Deb Antonelli, who slight them at every opportunity and I can see and understand why the sentiment is for Geno.

My vote though is for Moren but I would not be upset if Geno won....:rolleyes:
I think it’s a toss up between Moren and Roberts. No one thought Utah was going to be good this year and they’re top 4 nationally. Could also make a strong case for Staley going undefeated. UCONN has had a lot of adversity and put together a solid season but I don’t think Geno’s a top candidate this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think it’s a toss up between Moren and Roberts. No one thought Utah was going to be good this year and they’re top 4 nationally. Could also make a strong case for Staley going undefeated. UCONN has had a lot of adversity and put together a solid season but I don’t think Geno’s a top candidate this year.

No biases here, but Coach K (Lawson) deserves consideration if you are gonna put Roberts as an option. Currently #1 in the ACC after being picked to finish #7 in the league (only a few votes ahead of #8) There really isn't much difference between Utah and Duke in terms of the metrics. Again, speaking as an unbiased fan.

Just looked at the preseason polls.. Utah was 26th... Duke got two votes in the AP. In the coaches poll... Utah was 28th..Duke received no votes. Lawson has done a better job than the Utah coach, in my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom