Geno Espn article | The Boneyard

Geno Espn article

Reaction Score
Oops, ESPN the magazine article, not espnW. Can a mod change the title? Thanks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pure fiction. Sue Bird would never say "a mind duckk"! Total fabrication.

"I got a bag of pills in my briefcase," he says. "I got issues." Scores of Volamites will seize on this and add it to their hand bag humor. SEC calls for investigation of UConn for doping athletes, etc etc.

Reaction Score
An amazing read....not too different from Geno's biography.
A psychologist would read a lot into the lack of father figure, a father's approval mostly lacking. Coaching "Girls" basketball , to his father, was never really a "mans" job. He would ask Geno, "Do you get paid when the games end?"
The issue with Geno, as a basketball genius, is the pointless search for perfection. Like Ahab chasing the white whale, he gets no satisfaction from a 60 point win, if they lose a 4th quarter or if their hands are not up.
The UConn results are amazing, but he must be extremely hard to play for.

Reaction Score
the finest, most in depth article I've read on Geno.............he's always appeared to be a tortured soul and apparently it's no act.............it's what makes him so accomplished but unsatisfied all at the same time...........

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RockyMTblue2, post: 2649869, member: 250"]Pure fiction. Sue Bird would never say "a mind k"! Total fabrication.

"I got a bag of pills in my briefcase," he says. "I got issues." Scores of Volamites will seize on this and add it to their hand bag humor. SEC calls for investigation of UConn for doping athletes, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

RockyMTblue2- - - - When Sue Bird was a junior, Geno went berserk on her yelling how the lousy practice that day was all her fault! She started crying and screamed at him, "Go F---- yourself" and walked out of the gym! She came back a 1/2 hour later and apologized to the team & Geno for her behavior! Nothing was ever said about it between the 2 of them! Just a family disagreement!

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Perfectionism in the gen(o)es:

Once he and some friends came over and she made lasagna or eggplant parmigiana. As the guys raved, Geno could tell she wasn't pleased.

"Little bit of a hurry today, huh," he cracked.

She smacked him in the back of the head.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="RockyMTblue2, post: 2649869, member: 250"]Pure fiction. Sue Bird would never say "a mind k"! Total fabrication.

"I got a bag of pills in my briefcase," he says. "I got issues." Scores of Volamites will seize on this and add it to their hand bag humor. SEC calls for investigation of UConn for doping athletes, etc etc.

RockyMTblue2- - - - When Sue Bird was a junior, Geno went berserk on her yelling how the lousy practice that day was all her fault! She started crying and screamed at him, "Go --- yourself" and walked out of the gym! She came back a 1/2 hour later and apologized to the team & Geno for her behavior! Nothing was ever said about it between the 2 of them! Just a family disagreement![/QUOTE]

You do know I was joking right?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course there is little that can be said that is new when it's Geno being talked about, but this is a rather magnificent repackaging. This isn't new, but I like the phrasing: "He's mad at himself for not making them play like some of his other great teams, who walked into opposing arenas like wolves. " But maybe this team is wolves in sheeps' clothing; I hope so. He thinks he needs pills; I've needed pills ever since the game that cannot be mentioned. I'd like this team to rip the heart out of everyone they meet in the Tourney, but I expect a barn burning, stomach churning, angst ridden game along the way.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting that UC1ONN, really first class article.

Reaction Score
Anyone know who the player was that didn't get the rebound vs. Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
I think "Ma Auriemma" has posted on this board regarding Megan Walker.
"She good girl, don't yell at her!"

Reaction Score
Timely article. Thanks now I feel more relax about the next 2 games because Geno worries we don't have too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom