Geno Auriemma wants ‘more production from more players | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma wants ‘more production from more players

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By ALEXA PHILIPPOU HARTFORD COURANT | JAN 15, 2020 | 6:05 PM

“I think we need to get more production from more players,” Auriemma said. "It comes and goes. Right now, we’re not getting that confident ‘come off the bench and we know what we’re getting.’ “Now we’re trying to win with three players, and then patchwork, patch this up, patch that up, put this guy in for a little bit.”

Read the full Hartford Courant article here

Carnac

Reaction Score
I root and cheer for #4 UConn (14-1) as much as most Husky fans. But I'm also a realist. I'm not predicting anything, and I'm not crying wolf, merely sharing an observation. Tonight is game #16 of their 29 game schedule. They are just past the halfway point. They've shown us and the world exactly who/what they are. Do they need to make some adjustments?, yes.

“I think we need to get more production from more players,” Auriemma said. "It comes and goes. Right now, we’re not getting that confident ‘come off the bench and we know what we’re getting. “Now we’re trying to win with three players, and then patchwork, patch this up, patch that up, put this guy in for a little bit.”

How far can this team go in the NCAA Tournament? I think they'll make it to the 2nd weekend. Beyond that is questionable. It remains to be seen if they will have earned a #1 seed by then. There's still a month and a half left. Lots of things can change between now and then. They were sluggish (they yielded too many uncontested layups) and out of sync against Memphis. How they play @UCF tonight will tell/show us what we can expect and look forward to in the coming weeks.

How they do with the remaining OOC teams (Tennessee, Oregon and South Carolina) is key to their post-season tournament seeding. I think they MUST win 2/3 (and of course win the conference tournament which is not a lock) to have any chance of getting a #1 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She's starting to do some light workouts, but Geno is waiting word that she is "full go."
You realize, of course, that Batouly will never be "full go" because as soon as she gets that proverbial green light, she'll just break down again. I can't wait for that scholarship to open up so it can be filled by a serviceable body. She might be a great kid and all, but it's time to move on.

Reaction Score
More production from other players? How is that going to happen..lol

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is there ANY WORD on Batouly????

You wag you. From the article cited by Carnac this is the word: “I don’t think there’s any timetable (for Camara),” Auriemma said. “We just ask her all the time ‘How do you feel?’ When we get the word she’s good to go...but right now it’s a little bit of time. A little bit here, a little bit there. But I have no idea when the actual day is going to be when she’s full go. No idea.”

Recall when she had a bone bruise early in her UConn tenure. Same thing. And why would anyone see her as a meaningful contributor now. You would not based on prior, however fleeting performance history. There is little chance she will make a mark in the second half of her senior year.

Reaction Score
You realize, of course, that Batouly will never be "full go" because as soon as she gets that proverbial green light, she'll just break down again. I can't wait for that scholarship to open up so it can be filled by a serviceable body. She might be a great kid and all, but it's time to move on.
There is no reason to jettison Batouly. The team already has open scholarships. Apparently the coaching staff values her for reasons other than being a "serviceable body". I would hate to be your spouse.

Reaction Score
How far can this team go in the NCAA Tournament? I think they'll make it to the 2nd weekend. Beyond that is questionable. I'm not sure they will have earned a #1 seed by then. They're having too much trouble with unranked mid-major AAC teams that won't get a sniff of a WNIT bid.

It has happened exactly one time and people talk like it is a trend.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What a surprise! What do you expect? It is what it is. The Team is made up of it's players. That is the Team. If Geno and Chris were not there, can you imagine the results of this team? As fans, we are lucky to have what we have.
UConn starts Meg and Christyn, both #1 out of high school, #3 Crystal, and #6 Liv. If there were no coaching staff whatsoever, that team would still win quite a bit.

they need to stop thinking so much and just play

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really appreciate you wishing Batouly well! FYI UCONN has 4 open scholarships this season and will have 4 available next season as well.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It has happened exactly one time and people talk like it is a trend.

We'll see how they play tonight and the next 3 (Tulsa, at ECU, and Cincinnati) AAC games. How they play in those games will tell us if they're on course and have righted the ship or not. We won't have to wonder or speculate. I'm hoping UConn wins the rest of their conference games by 30+ points.

UCF (9-5) has won the last 4/5 - Tulsa (5-12) is on a 4 game losing streak - ECU (3-13) is riding a 9 game losing streak - Cincinnati (11-5) has won 8 of their last 9 games.

As of Thursday morning - Jan 16, 2020:
1579196992985.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score

“I think we need to get more production from more players,” Auriemma said. "It comes and goes. Right now, we’re not getting that confident ‘come off the bench and we know what we’re getting.’ “Now we’re trying to win with three players, and then patchwork, patch this up, patch that up, put this guy in for a little bit.”

Like every other coach in all of BB. ;)

Reaction Score

Don't need for the scholarship to "open up." UConn doesn't use all of it's 15 scholarships and has scholarships available.

Reaction Score
Is there ANY WORD on Batouly????
I thought Geno was asked that and said, " she is recovering but the timetable for getting her back on the court is uncertain." ( or words to that effect ). I would like to imagine that it somehow might matter. But I am skeptical.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I thought Geno was asked that and said, " she is recovering but the timetable for getting her back on the court is uncertain." ( or words to that effect ). I would like to imagine that it somehow might matter. But I am skeptical.
:oops:

Reaction Score

Patchwork and practice and a couple of months; it could work. Me? I'd start Anna and Aubrey, first off the bench and let them them develop the required offensive and defensive chemistry the team needs to kick some serious ass.

Reaction Score
UConn starts Meg and Christyn, both #1 out of high school, #3 Crystal, and #6 Liv. If there were no coaching staff whatsoever, that team would still win quite a bit.

they need to stop thinking so much and just play
My team won a league title when I let them play without thinking too much or fear of being pulled. Take the good open shot, make free throws and hit ahead on the break. It was fun to watch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What's wrong with Aubrey and Ono grabbing rebounds together with the three scorers scoring in all other aspects. Give it a few games to cure Aubrey of the willy s and you'd have something no team could touch

Reaction Score
Patchwork and practice and a couple of months; it could work. Me? I'd start Anna and Aubrey, first off the bench and let them them develop the required offensive and defensive chemistry the team needs to kick some serious ass.
I Agree they will not develop if they don't play. I think they should be starting over Kyla especially with her numbers. I don't know what Geno is thinking.

Reaction Score

Yet, he refuses to take a chance on his bench. He says and does the same thing every year about wanting more from the bench, but will not take a chance on them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom