Geno Auriemma Show on SNY | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma Show on SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just showing up HERE is a great start.

Others will, no doubt, jump in with "nuts and bolts" suggestions.
For me, I'd like to see more of the "soft side stuff". For example, follow the team around on a typical road trip. Sun up to sundown. Team meals, travel logistics (with some insight on how the entire circus goes together).
PS SNY is off to a great start!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Like Jim said, showing up here is a good start. Will follow up with more helpful comments.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Wow - you are brave....expect to get lots of feedback!

Here's mine:
1) Questions from fans for Geno to answer - could be sent by email to sny.
2) Schedule for the Geno show for this season??
3) Guest appearances by assistant coaches, trainers and players
4) updates on former players (not just the ones in the WNBA)

Thanks for the opportunity for input. Love your live coverage. A significant improvement in the viewer experience in game coverage,both on camera and with the broadcast staff. Replays are fabulous. And the on air crew stays on topic.
No fluffy stuff. (I do not care where the opposing coach buys her shoes...)

Welcome to the wonderful world of UCONN WBB and the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
First, let me congratulate you on the title of your program. "All Access" was especially meaningful to those of us who have to watch your show by paying for streaming, and were NOT given access to that program as a result. I've always appreciated irony, and find plenty of it here.

Meanwhile, good luck with your program. As one who SNY has relegated to the status of second-class citizen because, God forbid we should get the same privileges as those who signed up through SNY's real customers, the cable and satellite customers, I don't really feel that you should care what I think. I would only suggest that if a few dollars could be diverted from the programming budget to actually making the streaming feed watchable, that would be a blessing.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Coach analysis of a few plays

Analogizing to pro football games, I've found it helpful when one of the analyst uses the screen marking tools to show who is pulling, where each receiver is headed, why the safety was fooled into covering the wrong player, et cetera. When I am watching a DVR of a game, I've often thought it would be nice to have Geno sitting there explaining what was happening. That was done to some extend on the CPTV Geno show, but it was much more limited - more of a "watch Faris make this play, it is really good". I'd like to see a more extended discussion of a few plays. Bria passed to Caroline who passed it right back. Why? Was Caroline looking for an entry pass, and didn't see one, so sent it back, or it this just part of a routine, to pass a few times until you see something open up. Or a player makes a cut to the basket and then reverses herself. How did the ball handler know she wasn't going to continue, and lead her with a pass (which sometimes happens). How much of a play is "orchestrated" and how much is situational. My sense is that UConn is less apt to run formal plays than other teams, but I'd like to see him illustrate the difference.

This doesn't have to be Geno, it could be one of the other coaches, but I would find it very helpful to have more insight into why players are moving the way they do.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Practice Players

I'd like to see a segment on the practice players. They contribute a lot, and get almost nothing (some gear, and self-satisfaction, and not much else, I think.) The process has evolved over time, I think the first male practice players were in Rizzotti's era. Is there an open tryout? How are they selected? I think it has evolved into a new process where existing practice players recommend friends who then carry on a tradition, but I'm not sure. This isn't a new idea, I have seen some coverage of the practive players, but it has been limited, and I'd like to see more.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Amanda Kimball

I'd like to see a segment where you interview Amanda about the strength and conditioning regimen the players go through. How does it compare off-season to on-season? To what extent are there things everyone does, and to what extent is it individualized? How does it compare to volleyball and softball conditioning? In the event of injury, how much of the recovery is designed by Amanda versus Rosemary versus the coaches?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Scheduling

There's often been some discussion of scheduling, but there are some aspects that I'd find interesting:
  • How much input does Geno have, versus other coaches, versus others such as football considerations?
  • Is Colgate because of a favor for Bruno?
  • Do you look for varied styles or strengths (other teams with motion offenses, or teams with strong posts, or guards)?
  • How far in advance do you make commitments?
  • Do we play in the Maggie Dixon whenever it doesn't conflict with exam week, or is the process more complicated (probably more complicated, but go into how often we expect to be in it and why - does it depend on opponent, or dates, or other considerations)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I would love to have access to this as a streaming customer. You already have the content, why not make it accessible to people who are clearly passionate about the program? (enough to pay to watch games not televised on ESPN: i.e., the blowouts)

PLEASE make this stuff accessible online!!!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I would love to have access to this as a streaming customer. You already have the content, why not make it accessible to people who are clearly passionate about the program? (enough to pay to watch games not televised on ESPN: i.e., the blowouts)

PLEASE make this stuff accessible online!!!
+++1

Reaction Score
Hey Tom - bitter much?
If you have a grievance, take it to SNY and UCONN. And so you know - I too only have streaming and would love to have access to the other stuff - but alas, we don't and complaining here isn't going to get you a thing.

Reaction Score
Just curious.... What are you all replying to? All I see in the OP is "!".
This thread was started by SNY's Geno/Coaches Show producer(?) solicitating what the Boneyarder's would like to see in the program. Not sure how the contents got deleted.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This thread was started by SNY's Geno/Coaches Show producer(?) solicitating what the Boneyarder's would like to see in the program. Not sure how the contents got deleted.
Thanks.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Hey Tom - bitter much?
If you have a grievance, take it to SNY and UCONN. And so you know - I too only have streaming and would love to have access to the other stuff - but alas, we don't and complaining here isn't going to get you a thing.
Actually, it might get you something...the SNY people are reading this thread to see what the BYers want in the Geno show.

Reaction Score
Hey Tom - bitter much?
This thread was started by SNY program producer getting suggestions/feedbacks from the Bonayarders on UConn AllAccess show and the coming Coach's Show, so I believe this is a right place to voice our displeasure in not having access to the programs mentioned in the original post (the content of which had been deleted).

Reaction Score
Hey Tom - bitter much?

Well, let's start with the fact that this person is an SNY employee who wanted feedback, which I am giving. I would think that this is a perfect place to complain. I don't expect I'll get any more than the party line -- we have this deal with the cable guys and have to give their customers something extra that we cannot give you, yadda yadda -- but I'm certainly going to try. Actually, I would be happy if I could get beyond the top 2/3rds of the screen and action that stops every few seconds. I gave up watching strobe lights oh, say, 40 years ago.

As for your other ideas, SNY does not have a customer service department. I repeat, they do not have a customer service department. Which should tell you all you need to know about their concept of a retail business. And I really doubt that talking to UConn would produce anything. I'm sure they are well-intentioned, but the deal is between SNY and its real customers. the cable and satellite companies. We streamers (that sounds weird, doesn't it?) are just collateral damage as SNY negotiates the best deal it can with the big fish. I just mixed three metaphors there, but you get my drift.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Hey Tom - bitter much?

I don't see Tom as bitter at all...he is just posting about issues of interest to himself, as we all do.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
complaining here isn't going to get you a thing.

How do you know? Other channels have proved unfruitful. Perhaps a direct contact will make a difference.

For instance, since I often have brain freezes, I would gladly pay for the streaming access -- even though I get SNY -- IF everything offered was archived.

As for the Geno Show --

FOLLOW UP: There was a great segment a while back where the assistants had a voice. It would be nice to get a "it's been a while, where are you now vs. then?" segment.

To that end, getting members of the UConn coaching tree on -- live or on tape -- to reflect on their transition to the coaching (or, in Mel's case, admin/managerial side) world.

Following up on Phil's "coaches breaking down a play," it might be cool to also look at old tape -- highlighting how the players have changed over the year. What used to work, what no longer works, how the game has evolved and stayed the same.

Reaction Score
I think the original poster is doing a disappearing act....I only have so long to edit my post, but it seems his was there longer than would be deletable or changeable... very strange......

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Well, let's start with the fact that this person is an SNY employee who wanted feedback, which I am giving. . .

As for your other ideas, SNY does not have a customer service department. I repeat, they do not have a customer service department. Which should tell you all you need to know about their concept of a retail business. And I really doubt that talking to UConn would produce anything. I'm sure they are well-intentioned, but the deal is between SNY and its real customers. the cable and satellite companies. We streamers (that sounds weird, doesn't it?) are just collateral damage as SNY negotiates the best deal it can with the big fish. I just mixed three metaphors there, but you get my drift.

In fact, this seems to be a useful place to post observations and complaints about or requests for SNY services. Another place to got to-- since as Tom correctly notes, SNY does not respond to calls or emails-- is Pat McKenna, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications at UConn. I wrote to him about the limitations in SNY's streaming programming. He talked with someone at SNY (I think they answer *his* calls) and got back to me about the issues I raised. I'm not sure where that leads to, but someone is talking and someone is listening. That's a start. Patrick McKenna's email: <patrick.mckenna@uconn.edu>

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How do you know? Other channels have proved unfruitful. Perhaps a direct contact will make a difference.

For instance, since I often have brain freezes, I would gladly pay for the streaming access -- even though I get SNY -- IF everything offered was archived.

As for the Geno Show --

FOLLOW UP: There was a great segment a while back where the assistants had a voice. It would be nice to get a "it's been a while, where are you now vs. then?" segment.

To that end, getting members of the UConn coaching tree on -- live or on tape -- to reflect on their transition to the coaching (or, in Mel's case, admin/managerial side) world.

Following up on Phil's "coaches breaking down a play," it might be cool to also look at old tape -- highlighting how the players have changed over the year. What used to work, what no longer works, how the game has evolved and stayed the same.
On this subject, and where I thought you were going originally - it might also be great to see tape of former players running the exact same plays as the current players. And to focus not only on offensive sets, but also defensive rotations.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
On this subject, and where I thought you were going originally - it might also be great to see tape of former players running the exact same plays as the current players. And to focus not only on offensive sets, but also defensive rotations.

I like that suggestion.

Reaction Score
Coach analysis of a few plays

Analogizing to pro football games, I've found it helpful when one of the analyst uses the screen marking tools to show who is pulling, where each receiver is headed, why the safety was fooled into covering the wrong player, et cetera. When I am watching a DVR of a game, I've often thought it would be nice to have Geno sitting there explaining what was happening. That was done to some extend on the CPTV Geno show, but it was much more limited - more of a "watch Faris make this play, it is really good". I'd like to see a more extended discussion of a few plays. Bria passed to Caroline who passed it right back. Why? Was Caroline looking for an entry pass, and didn't see one, so sent it back, or it this just part of a routine, to pass a few times until you see something open up. Or a player makes a cut to the basket and then reverses herself. How did the ball handler know she wasn't going to continue, and lead her with a pass (which sometimes happens). How much of a play is "orchestrated" and how much is situational. My sense is that UConn is less apt to run formal plays than other teams, but I'd like to see him illustrate the difference.

This doesn't have to be Geno, it could be one of the other coaches, but I would find it very helpful to have more insight into why players are moving the way they do.

TOTAL agreement here! I would love to see games with the real-time commentary replaced by expert analysis. Yes the CPTV Geno Show with Meghan provided some of this. Now it's up to SNY to move things forward!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom