Geno Auriemma needs four wins to tie Pat Summitt on all-time wins list | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma needs four wins to tie Pat Summitt on all-time wins list

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Provided there are no cancellations and UConn wins its next two games, coach Geno Auriemma would have the chance to tie former Tennessee coach Pat Summitt with 1,098 victories on Jan. 2 at Gampel vs. Marquette.

1608495615668.png

The Huskies' next three games will be at Villanova on Tues Dec 22, and a home and home with Marquette, there on Dec 30, and at Gampel on Jan 2. The tie breaker will not be easy. Geno will have to beat Baylor in Waco on Jan 7 for win number 1099.

Geno looking for UConn women to ratchet up defense despite lopsided wins in first four games.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So exciting! Both Tara and Geno pass Pat in the same year. Big year for WCBB news for sure!

I know I'm a UCONN fan but... Once Geno passes Pat, UCONN under Geno will have better numbers/stats in almost every category compared to Pat, correct? I mean better win %, achievements faster than Pat, more wins, less losses, more NC's - I think maybe Tennessee under Pat may still lead in NCAA appearances and maybe final 4's?

Reaction Score
The one thing that will always hang over this great achievement. Will be Tara lost approximately 30 wins for the year she took off Coaching the USA Basketball Team in 1996.

Reaction Score
The one thing that will always hang over this great achievement. Will be Tara lost approximately 30 wins for the year she took off Coaching the USA Basketball Team in 1996.
Geno has coached far fewer games than Tara so why would that be something that should hang over anything???? She's had many more opportunities to win games than has Geno and that's all that matters ..... instead, she lost those games, right???? Obviously she's an outstanding coach but Geno is THE BEST .... end of story .....

Reaction Score
Isn't the fact that she's lost close to twice the amount of games that Geno has important to you???? She presently has 111 more losses which is almost 3 1/2 seasons of games .... Doesn't the fact that Geno's team could lose every game for well over three years and still have less losses than Tara, significant to you????

Reaction Score
Isn't the fact that she's lost close to twice the amount of games that Geno has important to you???? She presently has 111 more losses which is almost 3 1/2 seasons of games .... Doesn't the fact that Geno's team could lose every game for well over three years and still have less losses than Tara, significant to you????
Do you realize I brought this up because that's the way WCBB is! Do you also realize when they bring up most wins. They don't mention the games they lost! I just mentioned a fact and you're having a coronary lol.

Reaction Score
Geno has coached far fewer games than Tara so why would that be something that should hang over anything???? She's had many more opportunities to win games than has Geno and that's all that matters ..... instead, she lost those games, right???? Obviously she's an outstanding coach but Geno is THE BEST .... end of story .....
Take your blood pressure medication. I have been a fan longer than you have.

Reaction Score
Geno leads Tara 11-2 in the only category that means anything.
Thanks for telling me. Been a fan since 1987 and I didn't know that! Why did you waste your time posting this! LMAO

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks for telling me. Been a fan since 1987 and I didn't know that! Why did you waste your time posting this! LMAO
I've been a fan since '78...
1608563042863.png

(Sorry, couldn't resist. And I'm not close to the longest fan on the board.)

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Um, you're sounding the fans on VolNation when Tara passed Pat Summitt, they started qualifying Tara's accomplishments by saying that exact set of analysis. It's just stupid. What Tara, Pat and what Geno will achive is simply remarkable. Don't diminish it due to pettiness.

Geno will almost certainly get his fair share of accolades when he passes Pat, just like Tara is receiving now. There is no question who the top coach is in the game so why bring it up and act disgusted? Let's try to me magnanimous in our behavior as the top fans of the top team in the History of WCBB. :)

Reaction Score
Do you realize I brought this up because that's the way WCBB is! Do you also realize when they bring up most wins. They don't mention the games they lost! I just mentioned a fact and you're having a coronary lol.
Not even close regarding the coronary .... and though I might not have been on the Boneyard as long, how does that suggest that I haven't been a fan at least as long or longer than you??? .... by the way, I doubt that a lot of people are taking into account that she lost a season while coaching the Olympic team ... as you said, most people care only about who has the amount of wins lifetime .... I thought I'd bring up the losses for the benefit of Boneyarders to show how totally amazing Geno's been, along with CD, for the Huskies .... didn't realize you'd take it so seriously

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To me the mark is semi-meaningless. Tara owns the most wins now. That moving figure is the new target.

View attachment 62713
There's about a 98% chance that the long-term holder of the record will be the one who retires later between the two.

I'll conscientiously refrain from speculating on who's likely to retire first, other than to say that it'll likely be circumstances currently unforeseen that will decide that variable.

Reaction Score
I just reread my original post and I guess it came off as very personnel .... I'm sorry for the way it was worded but I'm not sorry that I feel that if people take into account wins, they should take into account their entire record .... she's a great coach but in my opinion, not up to the level that Geno and Chris are .... my heart is in fine shape, by the way ....

Reaction Score
Um, you're sounding the fans on VolNation when Tara passed Pat Summitt, they started qualifying Tara's accomplishments by saying that exact set of analysis. It's just stupid. What Tara, Pat and what Geno will achive is simply remarkable. Don't diminish it due to pettiness.

Geno will almost certainly get his fair share of accolades when he passes Pat, just like Tara is receiving now. There is no question who the top coach is in the game so why bring it up and act disgusted? Let's try to me magnanimous in our behavior as the top fans of the top team in the History of WCBB. :)
I guess I put a little too much emphasis in my response .... I agree that there are more than a few superb women's basketball coaches but I guess I might have pounded in my choice too emphatically .... maybe I was a bit grumpy on a late Sunday because my weekend fun was ending

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I disagree, it was her choice. Geno took the same position twice without giving up his day job.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I disagree, it was her choice. Geno took the same position twice without giving up his day job.
Well, when Tara took the job, there was no WNBA to keep the US players at home and playing. Back in 1996, the US had lost it's dominance and just like Hockey did in 1980, the US Olympic committee determined we needed to focus on getting the players together to work as a team by playing a series of games over the year and that's exactly what Tara did.

Geno's taking the reigns was more of a continued evolution of the team to have mini-camps of the players already in the WNBA and as most were UConn players, they already knew his method.

To diminish what Tara did for the sake of the game is also disingenuous. While I am not a huge fan of her, I respect the heck out of her and laud what she has meant to the game and she has earned all these accolades.

Reaction Score
That was a choice that allowed her to focus on getting the women the Olympic Gold medal, and transform the USA national team as an organization that was to continue with Gold Medal winning teams biennially....

In the view of things that matter in international competition, her decision to take a year off for the Olympic preparation is a major source of respect I have for her.

What I find particularly impressive was this decision was that it was made only 3.5 years following her second National Championship, and immediately following a Final Four appearance, and she brought her team back to the Final Four the year following the Olympic games.

How did Stanford do the year she was out? They made it to the Final Four and lost to Georgia in the National Semi-final to finish 29-3, while UCONN lost by three in OT to Tennessee, and Tennessee won the whole thing in 1996 with Chamique Holdsclaw and their first of three NCs in a row....

Reaction Score
I am VERY not sure about what I'm writing now, but isn't Stanford quite an "Ivy League" team where players need more academic results ? I know about the past but rivalry with TN LV for me seems to be a "has been thing", the one with Notre Dame is on a pause, only rivalries today seem to be Stanford, Baylor, South Carolina & Louisville - What I'm glad for WBB is that coaches agree teams to meet in the RS-OoC schedule.
% winning & NCs are a a gain for Geno, but I'm asking if TVdV is not limited in the recruiting process by the academics standards of the school, no offense to UConn graduates ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
To me the mark is semi-meaningless. Tara owns the most wins now. That moving figure is the new target.

View attachment 62713

Understood CL. I understand and respect your point of view on this, but other people do have an interest in Geno catching and PASSING Pat and her long standing milestone. I'm one of them. While some things (personal and team records and achievements) are trivial to some, those same things are of interest to others. Agreed that this moment in time would have been much bigger if Geno had gotten there first.

As someone (you?) commented in another post, the record is now a fluid one, as every game that Tara wins going forward becomes the new record until she retires. Many of us feel that at some point, Geno will catch and pass Tara for the all-time career wins record. I personally think day is at least 7-10 years away.

In order to catch Tara, he has to pass Pat first. Because Geno was not the first to eclipse her record, I'm sure if he wins number 1099 at Baylor, it will be mentioned by the media, but not recognized or celebrated by the team the way Tara's was that night on the floor of the Spanos Center (University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes I remember she was threatened with jail time if she didn't coach the US team..Shame

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom