Geno Auriemma needs four wins to tie Pat Summitt on all-time wins list | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno Auriemma needs four wins to tie Pat Summitt on all-time wins list

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The one thing that Geno and Pat have that Tara doesn't is that the wins are all at one school. Pat at Tenn and Geno at UConn. This is not to take away the wins from Tara who also has 7 years head start on Geno, who also won 152 of her games at Idaho. If Geno coaches 3 years after after Tara retires, he will surpass her record even if you include the 29 games that Standford won while she took off to coach the U.S. Olympic Team and do it in 4 fewer years of coaching.

Reaction Score
I disagree, it was her choice. Geno took the same position twice without giving up his day job.
There was no Pro League yet for the women. The women took the bronze back in 1992 and USA Basketball wasn't going to lose in the next Olympics. They're the ones that wanted to have a year with the team together. All Tara did was step up for her Country! That's something people could careless about nowadays! Why would Geno need to practice when half the Olympic team were the greatest players he ever coached and the best in the game! Why do you think the Men had the Dream Team because they lost and USA BASKETBALL pushed to have the Pros included.

Reaction Score
I just reread my original post and I guess it came off as very personnel .... I'm sorry for the way it was worded but I'm not sorry that I feel that if people take into account wins, they should take into account their entire record .... she's a great coach but in my opinion, not up to the level that Geno and Chris are .... my heart is in fine shape, by the way ....
Without the Pro League around USA BASKETBALL felt that's what they needed to do to bring the Gold back home. Everybody was devastated with a bronze medal! Tara stepped up for her Country and made a big commitment to do it! She had a good team at Stanford that made the Final Four. I am glad about your heart! I just had a stress test and it was great the Doc said.

Reaction Score
Not even close regarding the coronary .... and though I might not have been on the Boneyard as long, how does that suggest that I haven't been a fan at least as long or longer than you??? .... by the way, I doubt that a lot of people are taking into account that she lost a season while coaching the Olympic team ... as you said, most people care only about who has the amount of wins lifetime .... I thought I'd bring up the losses for the benefit of Boneyarders to show how totally amazing Geno's been, along with CD, for the Huskies .... didn't realize you'd take it so seriously
Geno has done an incredible job at UConn!!! I have heard it with analyst and some of the old school coaches that brought that up. Like the other night I watched Tara pass Pat and the analyst or someone else said well if Pat didn't get sick. She would have a lot more wins. She's not here so that response doesn't mean a thing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno's coached 117 games less than Tara.

A record within a record - With that being the case, IF one wanted to split hairs, one could say that - THAT is the record when Geno catches Pat at 1098. Because Geno did it in less games, and in less years. Same thing when he catches Tara.

So to break Geno's record of 1098/1099 wins, a coach would have to reach that number of career wins in LESS games. In order to do that, they would also have to have several undefeated seasons along the way. But, that's trivial. The only thing fans and historians will look at is the bottom line: the final number of career wins after both Geno and Tara have retired, and coached their last game. ;)

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think 1978 and winning should be on the same post lol.
Which one the 77-78 team went 7-13 and the 78-79 team went 8-13.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom