Geno apparently had knee surgery | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno apparently had knee surgery

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
It seems like when you enter your 60's, everything starts to fall apart. Whatever you did in your past life has a way of catching up with you and decides to send you a message that you "f....screwed up. When you were young, you felt athletic and that you were invincible and played with abandon and pushed yourself to limits that even you thought that you could not do. After 23 years in the Marine Corps and 38 jumps into UnGodly, territory, where I never landed on my feet, my body has finnally asked me to slow down. Two hip replacements, and a lumbar laminectomy along with ibuprophen, tramadol and lyrica for neropathic pain, I can still get up mount a horse and ride the property. There are times while pushing a cart in Walmart, that I just stand there for 60 seconds, because the brain says "go" and the legs say "no". Still here at 76. Go Geno. Never sit down.

Funny how we like to talk about our aches and pains. Makes me smile. I think that we need another new recruit to talk about for 18 pages.
Thank you for that mini memoir. And thank you much for your service and sacrifice. Frankly, I think you should change your handle to veryWISEolddog.

As an old German once said. "Too old smart." If we had only listened to, and acted upon, the wisdom of the ages when we were young and already knew everything!

When I was a about 18 my Mother was a passenger in a car I was driving and commented on my reluctance to slow down and proceed cautiously while traversing through a 4-way intersection with 2-way stop signs for the intersecting street. I replied, that I have the right of way. Yes, she said, you do. But you might end up being dead right. I chuckled inside and chalked it up to an "older" woman starting to slow down (pardon the pun).

She often told me, in those days, that as I got older I would come to realize that I didn't really know as much as I thought I did. Those comments I chalked up to a woman having to struggle with the fact that she had a son who obviously had a higher IQ than she did. :rolleyes:

Well, to make a very long story short, on my 22nd birthday I became a year older, and ever since, as I became a year older, she somehow or another became a year smarter. By the time she passed away, I was just amazed at how much wisdom that woman gained simply because I was getting older.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Has this been discussed? If so, sorry for the repeat

Ah ha! I thought I noticed a slight "hitch" in his get-a-long everytime he walked away from doing those halftime interviews on SNY. Now we know the rest of the story - Paul Harvey. Get well soon Geno.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It seems like when you enter your 60's, everything starts to fall apart. Whatever you did in your past life has a way of catching up with you and decides to send you a message that you "f....screwed up. When you were young, you felt athletic and that you were invincible and played with abandon and pushed yourself to limits that even you thought that you could not do. After 23 years in the Marine Corps and 38 jumps into UnGodly, territory, where I never landed on my feet, my body has finnally asked me to slow down. Two hip replacements, and a lumbar laminectomy along with ibuprophen, tramadol and lyrica for neropathic pain, I can still get up mount a horse and ride the property. There are times while pushing a cart in Walmart, that I just stand there for 60 seconds, because the brain says "go" and the legs say "no". Still here at 76. Go Geno. Never sit down.

Funny how we like to talk about our aches and pains. Makes me smile. I think that we need another new recruit to talk about for 18 pages.

Thank you for your service, and yes, we need another (BIG) recruit to gush over the rest of the week, I'm ready!! :)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Perhaps the coolest humble brag ever! Well done my friend ;).

Reaction Score
After both knees and both hips JavaMan is correct. Do the PT!
That implies your insurance will cover all the PT required. But with TKR, start the rehab early early early

Reaction Score

I was going to ---say 60's awfully young to have all kinds of health issues. Then I read further and USMC and Jumping--hell its a wonder you are walking, living, kicking. I didn't begin to have physical issues that slowed me down until 3 years ago (84). I can't run the 4 minute mile but I can walk the 3 mile hour. Had one knee replaced, the other needs it, that won't happen.
My current issues all revolve around sitting this cold winter--the joints rusted now I'm working to get that rust out. Walking, not running, works for me. Never say never sit down, resting is part of recovery. But don't stay there all day.
Spent time with your Marines in a Navy hospital--glorious young men. Through them I respect you and what you have done.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
That implies your insurance will cover all the PT required. But with TKR, start the rehab early early early

You don't need the machines & free weights -- you can work any muscle with body weight exercise and Thera-bands or tubing. The only equipment you need is a bench and a determination to do it. (And perhaps a barre to support early walking exercise with knee & hips, though I hear the new procedures allow free walking very early in recovery.)

One PT appointment to get the recommended exercises and some Googling to find the exercises on YouTube.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Of course, there's knee surgery and there's knee surgery. I feel lucky to be living now. My father had meniscus surgery in both knees in the 70's, complete with being cut open and having the entire meniscus removed. He had a cast for six weeks the first time -- was able to walk with the cast, then had the real recovery afterward. No cast the second time.

I've had my knees scoped three times for the menisci. Recovery has generally been 3-5 days limping and 1-3 weeks before running again. The latest was the easiest in getting back to 80% but the longest to full recovery, probably 4 months.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Wishing Coach Geno Auriemma a speedy recovery!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom