Geno and Veganism | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno and Veganism

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Actually this has been a lot of fun---most of my comments were not serious---as one poster said---to each his own--
there is nothing on this earth , except my spouse and 2 of my 130 kids around the world, my 2 dogs and 5 cats (shedders you'd better believe it--aloof--self centered--smug animals) reminds my wife of me---that I give one hoot and a hollar (I love rural Virginian) about
so --this gave me a chance to play--but I have known and tried veggies-- and I did leave CT before the State Police, Major Rome, showed up and rode me from Barracks to Barracks to keep my attorney away--until I told them--I'm my own attorney--and Grand Pa.

You always start strong and then it all turns into hieroglyphic writing to me! Course, you are more educated than me. I'm just a simple country bumpkin now. Night Broadway. It has been fun.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I will say one thing though - I'm 55 - dropped 36 pounds, can now run 6 miles a day and I'm off all prescription meds. Not bad for an old gal..
Go girl. Hit 'em high, hit 'em low. And just keep going.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What towns in Connecticut would you consider country? We have basically no agriculture to speak of here, and almost all of the state is considered (sub)urban by U.S. census bureau standards.

The Connecticut River valley produces what is generally considered to be the finest shade grown cigar wrapper tobacco in the world. It might still be the biggest cash crop in Conn. For what cigars cost these days, it ought to be.

Reaction Score
Vegetarian here, though I should probably move more towards being vegan since I'm slightly lactose intolerant. Haven't heard any crap yet from anyone, but it's been just under a year so there's still time, I suppose. I'm sure cutting out meat has helped me personally health wise, but cutting sugar consumption down helped most for me. Soda was huge for me all my life and taking that out was both difficult and rewarding.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I get more crap being vegan than you can possible imagine. Every now and then I like to toss it back..lol.
It is always good to remember that being vegan is not a guarantee to weight loss. Just ask elephants and water buffalo and always remember to be polite because they can kick your ass.

Reaction Score
On average vegans live longer than omnivores.

Gotta see data on this. I sincerely doubt you could bring meaningful data, since it would have to require a full lifespan of veganism, all the way from birth. That would mean no Colostrum Cocktail for the baby (animal product), so they'd start out life without an advanced immune system. Not many people would meet that, I would imagine.

Then you'd have to define "omnivore" more carefully, since nearly the entirety of Mankind is omnivorous, yet diets vary drastically by region. Beef is unheard of in some areas, wheat in others, lots of cultures have religions that ban different foods (animal and vegetable), some societies have diets that are deeply centered around oily fishes, others may not see an oily fish in their lifetime. You'd have to take all of them into consideration, and somehow eliminate all socio-politico-economic factors that my lead to changes in diet over a lifetime. Then you need to eliminate external factors such as smoking, drug use, physical activity, genetic considerations, disease...

No, I'm pretty sure that you couldn't prove this.

Reaction Score
On the "no agriculture in CT" thing:
My credentials are that I have a degree from UConn school of Ag and worked for both CT Ag Dept and USDA in CT. :) There is a good bit of agriculture still in the state. No, CT is not an agricultural power, but it is not all suburbs and cities. Certainly it does not have large acreages you can find in other areas.

Dairy farming has declined greatly but is still to be found, helped in part by the Farmland Preservation Act which allowed some farmers to sell development rights to the State, guaranteeing the land would stay in agricultural use. (Greenbackers Dairy in Durham is one such farm) The fastest growing segment is the small, sustainable farm-to-table operations. These include organic meats and "truck farming" to grow various vegetables. Of course orchards are agriculture and are still part of our landscape. As was mentioned shade tobacco is still important as are greenhouse operations for retail/landscaping . Another growing segment are the wineries - I been making my way across CT's wine trail :cool: And there are still large egg and chicken farms which do not require much acreage.

I still enjoy visiting my college roommate's dairy farm in NW CT where local farmers have an interesting relationship with rich NY weekenders. Much of the hay land is rented from those folks who mostly want to preserve the views. But some farms have nearby McMansions with residents complaining about farm smells, etc. (Why must they make noise early on the weekend? The cows are mooing too loud!)

It is very difficult to get started if you don't inherit land (not new but even more difficult - I used to work on loans for this purpose) And it is tough when unprotected farms are sold for development. But there are still working farms in CT and new and different opportunities.

Reaction Score
Vegetarian here, though I should probably move more towards being vegan since I'm slightly lactose intolerant. Haven't heard any crap yet from anyone, but it's been just under a year so there's still time, I suppose. I'm sure cutting out meat has helped me personally health wise, but cutting sugar consumption down helped most for me. Soda was huge for me all my life and taking that out was both difficult and rewarding.
I'm in the process of giving up sugar now. Congratulations on kick g the soda habit! My downfall is dessert..

Reaction Score
vegans are great until they blow those keytones in you face. Veggies and weight control may be great--as long as you know when your body is eating itself --first sign usually is the keytone breath.
Please explain this further. Is this because of lack of protein?

Reaction Score
Depends on whether they're vegetarians, or just don't eat meat. A lot of people who give up meat still eat lots of rice, potatoes, bread, butter, carbs, stuff like that. Been there, done that., still doing that. My significant other is more of a "vegetable vegetarian" so while I get excited about tortellini, she gets excited about the garnish. But the farther you get away from processed foods, the more you get away from weight problems...

No. That's a vegetable, not a vegetarian. Vegetarians eat vegetables.

Sometimes, the vegetable eat the vegetarians. Kind of like Audrey.

Audrey2.jpg

Beware the rise of the killer V's
Audrey 2, that is. :p

62160.jpg

Reaction Score
Some of my favorite meals include vegetarians. I love brisket, steak, beef hot dogs, hamburgers and most ways you can make beef.

Reaction Score
<<<<<In my profile picture, you can see who my neighbor is....We have LOTS of working farms in SE CT.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
As a farm boy I can remember no better fragrance than the smell of a fresh cut hay field.

At the age of 11 we lived across a cross country road from a dairy farm. My father would give me a well-worn bushel basket and instruct me to gather well seasoned cow "pies" for our very large vegetable garden. While executing this errand I would climb the farmer's hickory and black walnut trees to collect the tasty nuts. Some how the farmer became aware of my activites. He confronted my father. My father came to an accord with the farmer. Cow pie collection continued and I worked on the farm as payment. Two days later at Oh-dark-hundred I met the farmer at his main barn which housed his cows. I promptly began negotiating the rights to his hickory and walnuts. I guess my chutzpah tickled his funny bone. With a bellylaugh he agreed. Quickly he realized I thought I was to milk the cows. Again his belly laugh echoed in the large barn. He looked at my rubber booted feet. He said my mother knew what I was to do while he pointed to a pitch fork and shovel. I learned a new phrase, "mucking out." I did various jobs for the farmer for about 5 more years for my manure and nuts pay. Years later while sitting at my desk I would fret about how hard my business work was. Then my mind would drift back to my "farming" experience and what hard work really, really, really is. No more whining, back to business ... at least for a while. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I'm in the process of giving up sugar now. Congratulations on kick g the soda habit! My downfall is dessert..

There are some things that have been easy to give up, but the hardest part is the fact that sugar is in everything now!

Reaction Score
I will say one thing though - I'm 55 - dropped 36 pounds, can now run 6 miles a day and I'm off all prescription meds. Not bad for an old gal..
Have a couple of steaks and run 7 or 8 miles.

Reaction Score
Seriously??!! I just had my physical. My doctor couldn't dispute the drastic change in my health. My blood results were perfect. My cholesterol was down 20 points and my ongoing troubles with bone loss has completely stopped. My breath is fine - you can ask my boyfriend.. :cool:
But what do you have left to live for?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I personally love animals... they are delicious. I totally respect vegitarians though. Eat it don't eat it doesn't bother me either way. I could live without meat, what I cannot live without is cheesecake.

Reaction Score
Like Geno said I don't care what you eat; just leave me alone so I can enjoy what I want to eat.

Reaction Score
He spoke from experience with DT. "If I order a steak, shut up and let me enjoy it!"

Here's some ammo for Geno if DT brings it up again:

1. I was a vegetarian and vegan at intervals for 17 years.
2. One day I found that the amino acid creatine is what I was missing.
3. Creatine is what you get in red meat. 5gm of creatine is what you get for every 2-3 lbs. of red meat.
4. After 17 years, the first time I took creatine my body lit up like a light-bulb. I felt like I was buzzing. My energy level soared.
5. After that, I took it daily and my energy level was much better.
6. Later, a friend's husband was a surgeon in Monterey, Ca. Her husband told her that as soon as he cuts into a vegetarian, he knows. He said their muscle tissue shreds as it is cut, rather than gives a sharp, strong edge.

I don't eat red meat, still, since 1969. But I do take creatine, which I believe is crucial to any vegan or vegetarian. And I also eat fish or chicken for extra protein on a regular basis.

Someone arm Geno with this info, and he can take it to DT next time that comes up!

Reaction Score
Most, if not all, Vegan and Vegetarian athletes do not know about this issue.

I wish there were some way to get this out there.
C

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom