Geno and the Werth Donation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno and the Werth Donation

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A number of NBA players have contributed financially and in other ways to their alma maters.

I don't think it's an obligation by any means, and JC's comments may have been a means of deflecting any pressure any alumni been feeling. If there's chatter on message boards that they should contribute, there may be chatter in the players' ears as well. This way, JC has made it clear it's not their responsibility, and if any of them give anyway, it makes them look that much better.

One thing I will say is that JC did not build his program on a foundation of super-duper-star high school players. He's had, what, nine McDs AAs? It's not like he's brought in a ton of kids who every single top program was pursuing and who necessarily would have been successful anywhere. So from that perspective, the argument could be made that JC/UConn have developed basketball players more than some of the other top MBB programs out there.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ray comes to the campus EVERY year... who knows what he has done!

There's 3 guys (maybe 4) on the staff that played for UConn, what have they given, who knows!

what has DT given, she made big bucks in Russia, how bout Sue and Maya with her Jordan contract. Tina, Charde ummmmmm checks please! Jamelle you're making head coach cash, hellooooooooooooo!

Im sure they have atleast $50.00

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
DC, I expect that you are absolutely correct. I expect they, both the guys and the girls whether they are NBA or WNBA players or not, have all given to the university in the past and likely do so regularly as part of the annual fund drive most college and university alumni associations run. Sharing what one has given is a personal choice for anyone and is also not an obligation.

Sharing that info can be an encouragement to others to do so. As pastor I have my giving to the church published as part of the congregational budget every year so that the members can understand that when I speak to them about giving I have put my giving right out in front of them in support of the work we do.

Again there is no harm in asking but only in expecting same as for or me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Coaches get paid... players owe them nor the university NOTHING. If they choose to do so fine and if not, fine!

name another player that has built a PF besides Carmelo... ok maybe "Jordan" did something for UNC.

those other PF's... find out who gave money for those? Does Duke have one... who chipped in?
i didn't mean to imply that the players "owed" the university anything. i said there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking them for a donation for the practice facility...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This thread is far too pungent! It is unwerthy of the Boneyard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom