Geno and Evina on the Freshmen | The Boneyard

Geno and Evina on the Freshmen

Reaction Score
Freshmen have a problem with being tentative on the court, partly due to too much thinking about where they should be and what they should be doing, and partly fear of making a mistake. When I read "competitive" and phrases like "they don't back down to anyone" it tells me that at least some of them won't be hiding in the weakside corner hoping they don't get a ball thrown to them. I much prefer seeing them make errors of commission rather than errors of omission.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nika Muhl noted her class being very competitive in her media availability a few weeks ago and she added that she knew that before she got to Storrs. Geno sure is stoked about it. Occurs to me this could be their theme song:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

How nice would it be if we could get a 2 minute “state of the team“ update from Geno twice a week after Tuesday’s and Friday’s practice, and maybe throw in a brief comment from one of the team captains, or one of the assistant coaches. That would allow us to stay informed on the latest news, team and player developments as they happen. That would be nirvana. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Nika Muhl noted her class being very competitive in her media availability a few weeks ago and she added that she knew that before she got to Storrs. Geno sure is stoked about it. Occurs to me this could be their theme song:

The more news I read about this team, the more excited I get thinking about their potential, and how close they can come to achieving it.

Reaction Score
How nice would it be if we could get a 2 minute “state of the team“ update from Geno twice a week after Tuesday’s and Friday’s practice, and maybe throw in a brief comment from one of the team captains, or one of the assistant coaches. That would allow us to stay informed on the latest news, team and player developments as they happen. That would be nirvana. :)
I think Geno respects the Boneyard enough to do exactly that.. Head bang

Carnac

Reaction Score
Again, if anyone can post even the smallest snippet of video from practices we at the BY would be eternally grateful.

There are a lot of storylines on/about this team that are going untold/unwritten. Alexa, where are you? :confused:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There are a lot of storylines on/about this team that are going untold/unwritten. Alexa, where are you? :confused:

The reporter or the Computer Assistant?;)

Reaction Score
The more news I read about this team, the more excited I get thinking about their potential, and how close they can come to achieving it.
I'm right there with you Carnac. It's been a few years since we've had a group of Freshmen who we felt could make an immediate contribution and I feel that this one is right on target. I wouldn't be surprised if they start coming off before the end of the first half and not in the final minute and a half for cleanup.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm right there with you Carnac. It's been a few years since we've had a group of Freshmen who we felt could make an immediate contribution and I feel that this one is right on target. I wouldn't be surprised if they start coming off before the end of the first half and not in the final minute and a half for cleanup.

If they can do that, not only would they would get the much needed game experience, they would also keep the starters fresh. The only thing better than a starter with fresh legs is two-three starters with fresh legs, who are not tired because of of 2-3 minute blow wrapped around a TV timeout midway through the 4th quarter. Your reserves only need to be on the floor for a minute or two depending on the score and how well they are playing.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Freshmen have a problem with being tentative on the court, partly due to too much thinking about where they should be and what they should be doing, and partly fear of making a mistake. When I read "competitive" and phrases like "they don't back down to anyone" it tells me that at least some of them won't be hiding in the weakside corner hoping they don't get a ball thrown to them. I much prefer seeing them make errors of commission rather than errors of omission.

I could not agree more! 25 extra likes to you sir. :) If our freshmen can ALL play with a “no fear” attitude, UConn is going to be an extremely formidable opponent.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am sure the high level of competitiveness of the newbies is partly due to who they are as people and players but I also think they do not see such a large difference between themselves and the veterans. When you had Stewie, Moriah etc, newbies like Pheesa and Lou gladly took deferential positions (although I suppose Kia Nurse was an exception to the rule). I think the newbies recognize (at least subconsciously) that they have to take on a very big load if they want to get to where they want to go.

Reaction Score
If they can do that, not only would they would get the much needed game experience, they would also keep the starters fresh. The only thing better than a starter with fresh legs is two-three starters with fresh legs, who are not tired because of of 2-3 minute blow wrapped around a TV timeout midway through the 4th quarter. Your reserves only need to be on the floor for a minute or two depending on the score and how well they are playing.
Directly on point. I think our major pitfall for the past few years has been the short bench. One of the reasons I believe so many of us boneyarders are looking forward to this season with so much more excitement than some of the previous ones is the (hopefully) quality of this years freshman class.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Directly on point. I think our major pitfall for the past few years has been the short bench. One of the reasons I believe so many of us boneyarders are looking forward to this season with so much more excitement than some of the previous ones is the (hopefully) quality of this years freshman class.

Also Steeler, EVERYONE on the bench can play, including Ms. Chassion, our beloved walk-on. This will be one of the deepest benches Geno has had in years. I haven't seen any of them play yet. Hopefully Geno can get them all in, or CLEAR THE BENCH in one or more of the Naismith Hall of Fame tournament games in November.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh so nice to read the above ra-ra messages. Most of what I have just read sounds great. I only hope it is so and we covid shut-ins can enjoy Geno's team. They ALL must be overly cautious....I know the staff will, but kids are kids. These young players seem mature enough to grasp the PROBLEM. The young women are more exciting to watch than pro sports, etc. I hope we get to see all the games on tv. Geno and CD will do their thing, of course...none better..........but, the virus, beware, PLEASE

Reaction Score

CARNAC knows all yet again. Nice idea.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom