Geno and Bobby in Chicago... | The Boneyard

Geno and Bobby in Chicago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"The event is billed as a “Hall of Fame Two Man Clinic with Bob Knight and Geno Auriemma’’ and “Knight and Auriemma Discuss Basketball Their Way.’’

The event was set in motion by Director of Nike Championship Basketball Clinics Ed Janka, who served as an assistant men’s basketball coach at Fairfield in the 1980s. Auriemma said that the last time he spoke with Janka there were already 500 coaches registered for the clinic."

LINK

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That would be so cool. My two favorite coaches of all time, together, running a clinic. It can't get any better than that.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That would be so cool. My two favorite coaches of all time, together, running a clinic. It can't get any better than that.

Well, they could have invited you, and served you bacon courtside. That would be better :)

486570_10151494742809076_217017378_n.jpg

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I believe that it was Bob Knight who recommended that Jim Calhoun take the UConn
job way back when. He said something along the lines of 'the job is a good one if the school
has the name of 'University of Name of State'.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno and Bobby will be doing an after dinner session based on American Pickers. The two segments will include Geno's is called, "How to Pick the Proper Wines for Tournament Cooking," and Bobby's is entitled, "The Importance of Picking the Right Chair."

Reaction Score
I believe that it was Bob Knight who recommended that Jim Calhoun take the UConn
job way back when. He said something along the lines of 'the job is a good one if the school
has the name of 'University of Name of State'.

Pretty sure you're right.

Reaction Score
"The event is billed as a “Hall of Fame Two Man Clinic with Bob Knight and Geno Auriemma’’ and “Knight and Auriemma Discuss Basketball Their Way.’’

The event was set in motion by Director of Nike Championship Basketball Clinics Ed Janka, who served as an assistant men’s basketball coach at Fairfield in the 1980s. Auriemma said that the last time he spoke with Janka there were already 500 coaches registered for the clinic."

LINK

Knight has been a personal favorite since 1976 when, after completing the last perfect season in MCBB, Sports Illustrated (I think) asked him who he thought the U.S. should send to the Olympics. Bobby said we should sent the NBA champs and if the Russians didn't like it, tell them to go to hell.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure you're right.

Knight has been a personal favorite since 1976 when, after completing the last perfect season in MCBB, Sports Illustrated (I think) asked him who he thought the U.S. should send to the Olympics. Bobby said we should sent the NBA champs and if the Russians didn't like it, tell them to go to hell.

Not sure how I made that mess above but the BY has been acting funky for me the past few days. Is anyone else having trouble?

I've edited out the mess (OK, some might not agree) but are people having trouble posting?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some Geno quotes from the clinic:

Auriemma says, "If your players can't make shots then it doesn't matter what kind of offense you run."

Auriemma: "the #1 thing we look for in recruiting a player - unselfishness."

Geno Auriemma has me cracking up, if you can't pass, shoot, dribble you can't help me. Work on the things that matter. Forget useless drills

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who here would like Bobby Knight if he wasnt friendly with Geno?

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
I do. Always have, always will. If you talk to any of his former players you'd find out he's a lot like Geno.

Reaction Score
Yes, with a shorter fuse. I have met him once in Dallas-Forth Worth airport. Had the legendary red sweater on. Surprise, he started the conversation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I suspect Knight is one of those guys who if you went and had a few beers with him you'd have a hell of a time and would hear some great stories. I am not surprised Geno seems to have hit if off with him.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Quite a few tweets out there from high school coaches saying it was the best bb learning seminar they'd ever attended. I'm sure Geno and Bobby put on a show.

More quotes:

Coach & AD Magazine@coach_ad 2h
Bobby Knight: 2 kinds of coaches--surprise & change or simplicity & execution. I prefer simplicity & execution.

Winning Hoops@WinningHoops 20h
Geno Auriemma back on the court: Basketball is not a game of how to do it, it's a game of when to do it.

OFHSHoops@OFHShoops 27 Apr
All players read this: Coach Knight says, "In my opinion, the most unused move in basketball is the shot fake."

Rob Stevermer@rstevermer 27 Apr
Shooters shoot, everybody passes and plays defense. #coachknightwisdom

Patrick Paige@coachpmoney 26 Apr
Sound familiar @jbur24? “@WinningHoops: Coach Auriemma:Start practice the same way everyday

Winning Hoops@WinningHoops 27 Apr
Auriemma on defense: The best defenders always know who's beside them AND behind them.

Rob Stevermer@rstevermer 27 Apr
Never shoot alone. Get a girlfriend who will rebound for you. #coachknightwisdom

Coach Knight talking zone offense:

BI3tY9xCUAAjc4B.jpg:large

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno is one busy guy. His UConn Leadership Conference is tomorrow and Tuesday at Mohegan Sun. I read that Geno will take time for a well-deserved vacation during May.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno is one busy guy. His UConn Leadership Conference is tomorrow and Tuesday at Mohegan Sun. I read that Geno will take time for a well-deserved vacation during May.
I believe that over about 6 days, his schedule includes:

Connecticut Hall of Fame Induction (not a sports institution per se)

Grand opening of a new restaurant in Storrs

1-1/2 day clinic with Bob Knight in Chicago

Geno Auriemma Leadership Conference

Oh, and he's traveling to see recruits too.

It's a good thing the season is over so Geno can get some work done now. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here are some notes taken during the clinic.

http://hoopcoach12.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/clinic-notes-bob-knight-and-geno-auriemma/

Great stuff. Here are some highlights from Geno:

*3’s in transition are the best 3’s to get.

Spend more time on offense.

*When practicing spend lots of time shooting the ball, have a player or manager track every shot that your players take during practice.

*When playing against a good point guard get the ball out of his hands.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
*When Knight is up 3 and on defense with 12 seconds left he is always fouling.

Wonder if Geno had a flashback when he heard this one?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Can't believe no one posted this quote yet:
“I’ve never recruited a kid that I could see had a bad attitude or that I thought would piss me off at some point.”-Geno Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom