HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive

73C2B7A6-64BA-4EDC-9B6C-BE732480671E.jpeg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So amazing. Congratulations! And I love how much credit he gives to Chris!

"If you wanna do great things you have to know what your strengths and weaknesses are, what your limitations are, and how far you can personally take something in that point in time in your life. I knew that very very very early, before we even played our first game, or before I got the job... if she would agree to come here and coach with me and us that we could be good... but that decision (getting CD) made everything else possible."

Reaction Score

Congratulations to Geno and Chris for coming together and creating the most dynamic program in Women's basketball history and the most wins in the shortest time. Together they are the KING AND QUEEN of Women's college basketball. Nobody deserves it more than those two. 1200 is such a nice round number and will really enjoy watching it grow to 1300, another nice round number. When it is said it was a match made in heaven, I agree with all my heart. GO GENO!!!!! GO CHRIS!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Near the end of his career, Babe Ruth -- never known for his modesty -- said he had three goals: to play for 20 years, appear in 10 World Series, and hit 700 home runs. He achieved each one.

I don't know what Geno's goals were or are, but coaching one program for 39 years, winning 1200 games and 11 national championships, is pretty damned commendable.

Reaction Score
If the multiple year injury bug had not hit us, there could have been way more publicity, drama and recognition for the accomplishments of both Geno and Tara. Who passed Mike and got to 1200 first would have been very much in doubt.

Before the injuries it looked like Geno passing Tara was going to happen, it was just a matter of time. The current spread largely because of injuries, makes it much more difficult. Stanford is not going to lose many, and if we keep having seasons where we lose 4, 5, or 6 games the gap probably doesn't shrink. If we get back to 0, 1, or 2 being the norm, he can probably catch her before he retires.

Of course with a margin as close as it is, whichever coach retires last is the ultimate winner, but I'm sure Geno would like to pass her first. All this restructuring of conferences could even be a factor here. The Pac 12 is currently very competitive with quite a few serious challengers to Stanford, but their new conference could be even harder.

Regardless it is a major accomplishment for Tara and Geno, but if they had approached the record neck and neck, it probably would have drawn as much attention if not more than Clark chasing Plum does right now.

Reaction Score
It's staggering to think that Auriemma is 1040 games above .500, and only four other women's coaches even have 1040 wins.

Reaction Score
Single digits?! Hmm . . .

But he was again cryptic when asked how long he might continue to coach, saying he won't be adding hundreds of more wins, but "more along the line of single digits" and that there isn't any number or "whale" that he's chasing.

"I could probably say, with a great deal of certainty, that I'll never be No. 1 in wins, I don't think that will happen," he said. "And I'm still going to enjoy my wine and I'm going to sleep good tonight."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom