Geez, Geno getting blamed for yet another thing that isn't his fault | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geez, Geno getting blamed for yet another thing that isn't his fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OMG.....Next thing you know it's going to be Geno's fault that the sky is blue!!
He cant because its Carolina Blue but if it turns to Husky Blue.Geno better watch out,LOL.

Reaction Score
It sounds like the reason that Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor, Tenn, Florida State, Arizona State and a bunch of other WB teams only fail to reach Final because their coaches were discriminated against. Where did this writer get his education?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Well, I guess I'm the one with the contrarian take on this thread.

First, how about giving some credit to Doxsie, who is writing in a small media outlet, for actually caring enough to pen an article on the general topic of women's college athletics? I'm not finding these story lines in the Dallas Star, LA Times Washington Post or many other major newspapers around the country.

Second, and attached to the first point, the Quad Cities is a small media market, and reporters toiling away for these small papers typically don't have unlimited resources with which to research their topics, nor unlimited column inches in which they can express themselves.

Third, Nan I'm not sure what you find lazy about the article. That it didn't go into Pulitzer Prize depth? I felt that for the most part, the article presented pretty straight forward factual data. Was there a lot of meat in the article? Perhaps not but certainly enough in my opinion to make a cogent point.

Fourth, his comment on Geno was nuanced but also complimentary. He modified his statement to say "partially blame" him - for being so successful that other schools might want to hire a male coach. Like I said, I find the statement to be a compliment, and I also think there is some truth to it. Schools that care enough to want to succeed tend to emulate those programs that have gotten to the pinnacle. The reason why schools are trending towards male coaches may be subtle and it may be subconscious, and it might also reflect the fact, as some have pointed out in other replies, that the pipeline for women filling these competitive positions is still too short.

Fifth, to those who point to the number of successful women who are currently coaching, that isn't the point of the article. Doxsie never said there aren't women coaches out there, only that the percentage of women service as coaches is shrinking.

Last, the issue isn't confined to WCBB. I have friends with daughters who are either playing or coaching other women's college sports and they report the same trend of an increasing number of male coaches replacing women.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Third, Nan I'm not sure what you find lazy about the article. That it didn't go into Pulitzer Prize depth? I felt that for the most part, the article presented pretty straight forward factual data. Was there a lot of meat in the article? Perhaps not but certainly enough in my opinion to make a cogent point.
There was zero effort to find out why there were more male coaches than female, there were only guesses. How about calling a couple ADs and asking what they look for in a coach or asking women other coaches besides Bluder for their opinion?

Cogent is a matter of opinion, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS