Geez, Geno getting blamed for yet another thing that isn't his fault | The Boneyard

Geez, Geno getting blamed for yet another thing that isn't his fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of the 17 NCAA D-I sanctioned sports, 12 national championships were won by male coaches in the 2014-15 school year.

All four teams in the NCAA women’s basketball Final Four this year were coached by men.

If we’re looking for someone to at least partially to blame for this trend, crook your finger at Geno Auriemma. He has built an extraordinarily dominant women’s basketball program at the University of Connecticut, winning 11 NCAA titles, including the last four in a row

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

Why aren't there more women coaching women in college sports?

Reaction Score
I would love to see some numbers cited regarding the number of women who actually go into coaching ..... or choose to pursue coaching as a vocation......

I think that would be telling..... similarly, why is the world of officiating in WCBB replete with men? Would love to see women coaching women and women officiating WCBB games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Poor logic and, as Nan points out, nearly zero research.

Here's some lazy research of my own:
Jamelle Elliott, Shea Ralph, Jennifer Rizzotti, Carla Berube,
Kristin Caruso, Wendy Davis, Stacy Hansmeyer, Tamika Williams-Raymond, Paige Sauer, Morgan Valley, Brittany Hunter, Tonya Cardoza, Charlene Curtis are/were all part of the Auriemma coaching tree.

That's a good off season article for our new UConn WBB reporter to knock out. It would nice to see a piece highlighting one of the many ways Geno has been great for woman's college basketball.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Pretty sad article. No worth the paper its printed on.

Reaction Score
Gender is only one of many qualities that describe a coach ... gender has minimal influence on the success of a coach (e.g., drive, wisdom, personality, relationship finesse, compassion, knowledge of the sport, team dynamics ... etc., etc., etc.). The author of the article sees WCBB coaching through a limited lens, a limited lens used to assign blame ...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Of the 17 NCAA D-I sanctioned sports, 12 national championships were won by male coaches in the 2014-15 school year.

All four teams in the NCAA women’s basketball Final Four this year were coached by men.

If we’re looking for someone to at least partially to blame for this trend, crook your finger at Geno Auriemma. He has built an extraordinarily dominant women’s basketball program at the University of Connecticut, winning 11 NCAA titles, including the last four in a row

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

Of the 43 presidents elected to office in the U.S. all have been men. Last year all candidates were men. If then you're looking for someone to partially blame for this trend and hence all the worlds issues since the first president, crook your finger at Obama.

Reaction Score

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

http://qctimes.com/sports/columnist...cle_1dc1b438-3082-5cf4-b7bc-2727490362f3.html

One of the things missing is a discussion of competency. Most male coaches started off playing BBall in the first grade and all through school. Not their fault, but few women today had that opportunity. I think it [parity of female coaches] will come in the not too distant future at least partly due to the popularity of women's BB as fostered by Geno and company. If you are a college search committee, if you start off being gender neutral in your search, then you have to go competency first and gender second.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Then again, maybe it is just a little bit his fault. Auriemma has done much to remove any stigma of a guy coaching a "girl's" game. Guys look around and see his success - and his paycheck - and say "hey, I can do that."

While the jury is still out, the real problem could be that too many female coaches are stuck in an old school WCBB rut and they can't coach their way out of it.

"Would love to see women coaching women and women officiating WCBB games."

And there it is. Better to see the best qualified coaches and officials regardless of gender.

Reaction Score

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

Jeez, where to start...I am a progressive thinking liberal who believes in reasonable affirmative action, title ix, and generally in women's rights. In places where a race or sex have been shut out of competing fairly, I personally believe protective laws need to be in place . But that one line in the story makes lots of potential inferences, most of which are ridiculous.

Women coaches do have opportunities in women's college basketball. I haven't heard of women not being interviewed for major positions. This isn't MLB 10 years ago where African Americans weren't being considered for head coaching positions.

Geno is clearly the best at his craft. But on the "greatness scale" under him are a long list of stellar woman who have been successful and run winning programs (Muffet, Dawn, Tara, Brenda. Pat). But in the end, this is about winning (and sometimes about financial solvency) -- and doing so in a way that enhances the institution, provides an extraordinary student experience, prepares students for after-college opportunities, and is within the rules. Geno uniquely excels at all of this. Women are getting -- and should continue to get their deserved chance at -- WBB jobs. But to actually blame Geno for the seeming lack of diversity is insane.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of the 43 presidents elected to office in the U.S. all have been men. Last year all candidates were men. If then you're looking for someone to partially blame for this trend and hence all the worlds issues since the first president, crook your finger at Obama.
Actually, Hillary Clinton ran for President in 2008 but it was Pat Schroeder in 1988 that was the first woman to run for the office.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Actually, Hillary Clinton ran for President in 2008 but it was Pat Schroeder in 1988 that was the first woman to run for the office.
Damn. Obama absolved. Well then, men in general are root of all the worlds ills.

Reaction Score
Actually, the first woman to run for President was Victoria Woodhull in 1872 for the Equal Rights Party. She ran into a problem: she was arrested on a morals charge (concocted by Anthony Comstock) just before the election, although she might not have done well anyway since she was too young to be President.
Yes, Shirley Chisholm was the first woman to seek a major party nomination. And Pat Schroeder didn't really formally run; she withdrew before any primary votes were cast.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
They always talk about percentages and never raw numbers - when title IX was enacted the number of women participating in intercollegiate athletics was 32,000. Currently the number is 5 times that high which suggest to me that there are at least 2 times as many college women's programs in existence than there were in 1972 - I suspect it is more like 4+ times as many (teams did not double in size to account for that increase.) Which means there are significantly more coaching opportunities in women's sports than there were for their 'baseline'. How those are distributed across divisions and sports I have no idea, but the fact that the expansion was happening is real, and accounts for the changing percentages - because those changes were happening down line as well - HS and AAU and youth teams were also expanding at an incredible rate and the women with training available to take on those jobs were in short supply - there would be many more men who had been working as both head coaches at lover levels and as assistants at all levels who had the requisite skills to fuel that kind of expansion.

If you consider that women held 1500 HC jobs in 1972, and the number of programs has expanded by a multiple of 4 in the intervening years and they now only hold 50% vs. 95% of the jobs, that would still be a 100% increase in employment as head coaches over a 40 year period. It would also be interesting to see what percentage of total HC jobs women held and now hold, as one effect of title IX was to decrease the total number of men's programs.

Percentages can be misleading when dealing with a fundamentally altered universe.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OMG.....Next thing you know it's going to be Geno's fault that the sky is blue!!

............or that we're enduring "global warming", and gasoline prices are on the rise. Its all HIS fault. :confused:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm (November 30, 1924 – January 1, 2005) was an American politician, educator, and author.[1] In 1968, she became the first African American woman elected to the United States Congress,[2] and represented New York's 12th Congressional District for seven terms from 1969 to 1983. In 1972, she became the first major-party black candidate for President of the United States, and the first woman ever to run for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination. 16 years before Schroeder. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Reaction Score

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

Human's like to be "around" successful people or organizations. Many find it easy to dislike the wealthy, successful person, team, country--no surprise Geno is being blamed for success. But they still want him to speak at their functions..

I too want more successful women coaches--more Muffets, C.Vivians, Staley, yes even JPM or Summitt.

Reaction Score
\\
Women's Basketball??????????

Reaction Score

Lazy sportswriting, IMO.

I had a different take on the article. It seemed to me a "tongue in cheek" comment that was actually complimenting Geno on his awesome success. I fully understand BY desire to immediately and forcefully protect all things UCONN women's basketball - I feel the same way- but I think this comment did not have evil intent.
The most interesting part of the article to me was the one statement in the comment section: "If i had a choice between Lisa Bluder and Geno Auriemma to build a first class women's basketball team ..................." I think says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom