Gavitt :"We are going to have a tournament" | The Boneyard

Gavitt :"We are going to have a tournament"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Even without a season they could do the ultimate bracket tournament with all the teams making it in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd love to see how you seed 355 teams.
The same way you seed 68. Anyone bitching about their seed gets mocked. We already know the big guys will get seeded favorably so why cry about it?

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Start with having all one-bid conferences do a single-elimination tournament and the winners advance to whatever the next level of the tournament would be.
Imagine if our first games back in the BE were MSG BET games for the only spot in the tourney the conference gets. Not ideal for the season as a whole but how amazing would that be to watch?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This wouldn't be too difficult. There are 32 D1 leagues.

Do the best you can ranking the top 32 teams. Everyone left plays off in their league, single elimination to fill the final 32 spots. 64 teams. That would give all the winners about 3 or 4 games to make the tournament.

Take the original 32 ranked teams and break them into 4 sections, 8 teams each and do another single elimination tourny to get their rank going into the tournament. Coin flips for first round losers for the 7/8 seed, etc. That way they all get between 1 and 3 games to prepare for the tournament. Maybe even have the first round losers play the second round losers in exhibitions just to get another game in.

You can even bubble all the mini tourneys.

Again do the best you can to rank the 32 play in teams and seed it as normal. Best quad winner from original ranking vs the worst play in winner, 2nd best quad winner vs the next and so on.

Tons of TV worthy games - best March Madness ever.

Done!

Reaction Score
Even without a season they could do the ultimate bracket tournament with all the teams making it in.
I am so down for this. I'd take a month off to watch all the games I could.

I remember buying the early season preseason or early warm up espn add on package. This was before all the current network deals. I loved watching podunk v podunk or podunk almost upset an early seeded squad.

Why are we not doing this anyway???

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why are we not doing this anyway???
My take is that we already do it now, if you consider the conference tournaments as the early rounds. If we went to one big overall bracket it would kill the conference tournaments and the money they bring in would be effectively diverted to the NCAA. That's why I'm against it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No way would they do a straight feeder bracket from conference tournaments. How do you explain at large teams the following year?

In this scenario, the confernce brackets, likely double elimination at least, round robin is most likely, would he used by the committee in place of the regular season. They aren't leaving out Villanova if they get upset in the first round of the BE.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No way would they do a straight feeder bracket from conference tournaments. How do you explain at large teams the following year?
To clarify, I wouldn't want one big bracket to become the rule. But this season it would would be a cool one-off. Each conference would be free to run the season the way they see fit without worrying about the big dance, the teams would be playing for a conference title.

Then put everyone into the hopper for one big tournament. Divide the teams as true to the regions as possible, then seed. One percent "integrity fee" to all the legal sorts book would make a mint.

Reaction Score
This wouldn't be too difficult. There are 32 D1 leagues.

Do the best you can ranking the top 32 teams. Everyone left plays off in their league, single elimination to fill the final 32 spots. 64 teams. That would give all the winners about 3 or 4 games to make the tournament.

Take the original 32 ranked teams and break them into 4 sections, 8 teams each and do another single elimination tourny to get their rank going into the tournament. Coin flips for first round losers for the 7/8 seed, etc. That way they all get between 1 and 3 games to prepare for the tournament. Maybe even have the first round losers play the second round losers in exhibitions just to get another game in.

You can even bubble all the mini tourneys.

Again do the best you can to rank the 32 play in teams and seed it as normal. Best quad winner from original ranking vs the worst play in winner, 2nd best quad winner vs the next and so on.

Tons of TV worthy games - best March Madness ever.

Done!

Nice job.
Plus we eliminate inane Joe Lunardi's daily BS revisions to his predictions from the day before.

Reaction Score
I would use the NET ratings from 2020. Make a 256 team tournament with pods of 4. Each pod would have a team from the top 64, and a team from next 64, etc. They would play round Robin to get to 64 teams. Those teams would be ranked by a committee to create the traditional 64 team single elimination. Lots of games. Every decent team has a chance. And à bonus of lots of bitching about the slotting of the final 64.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
All conferences bubble and play double round robin regular season starting sometime after Jan 1. This would take about 2.5 months.

Top 50% of finishers from all P5 + Big East get in (38 teams). Top 4 finishers from AAC/A-10/Mountain West/WCC/Ivy get in (20 teams). Top 2 finishers in the remaining conferences get in (42 teams). 100 teams total make the field.

2 week break to move to new bubble city for the tournament and give teams time to quarantine. 1 alternate team from each conference makes the trip to play in "NIT" and will replace team in their conference if a team is unable to play because of a Covid spread (fingers cross this doesn't happen).

The BIG dance has 100 teams.

Start with a 4 play-in games for teams with the 8 worst winning % from non-P5 + BE conferences.

This gets the total field down to 96 teams.

All 32 conference champions all get a "bye".

Remaining 64 teams are seeded (this will be subjective and the toughest part) and play in a double elimination (best of 3) play-in round against their opponent. 32 teams come from the play-in round.

Add in the 32 conference champions and reseed all teams following the play-in round and you are left with a 64 team single-elimination tournament.

NCAA, you are welcome.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom