2023 Recruiting: - Gavin Griffiths | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Gavin Griffiths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
GRIFFITHS VS SOUTH KENT

Overall: Fantastic shooter with size. Seems poised to catch fire at any moment. Off balance, bad shots look easy for him. That skill alone is worth a scholarship offer at about 325 schools in the country. Skinny and not very athletic. A little better passer than the numbers indicate, but not great by any means. Handling the ball a lot at 6’8 in high school is great experience, but right now the handle is pretty weak and very predictable. 6 dribbling TOs in this game. His go-to move with no counter was obvious 3 minutes into the game. His coach puts him in a position to handle and pass a bunch though so it will improve quickly if he’s working hard. Not a great defender right now because of athleticism, but the effort is generally there and should improve with experience. Not sure he’ll ever be a + defender unless he gets much stronger. I think it would help his development to transfer to a powerhouse program where he isn’t option 1, 2, and 3 on his team.

29 PTS
3 REB
1 AST (2 Potential /0 Foul)

7 TO
0 STL
0 BLK

4/6 2FG
7/16 3FG
0/0 FT
  • Would like to see him opt into a better program with more size and skill. Competition level is just not very good. Has to do too much for his team.
  • Not a superb athlete. He’s not Carlton. Probably less of an athlete than Karaban right now.
  • Very thin and weak looking… well like a normal kid and not the mammoths we recruit normally. Maybe 6’7 or 6’8. Can’t tell if it’s the skinniness, but seems to have a + wingspan?
  • Defense
    • Contests to the face and pretty aggressively on his closeouts. Nicely done.
    • Like his communication. Calls switches out and gets on the guy aggressively early
    • Weak defending the post because of his weight/strength. Getting beat by smaller guys a few times.
    • Solid effort
    • Good sense for help and positioning. Occasionally overhelping and getting burned, but I prefer that over not helping enough at this crappy level of bball…. Later on was very lazy on help D and looked terrible, wondering if he had foul trouble.
    • Not a great sense for keeping an eye out for the back cut.
  • Doesn’t really have blow-by speed or the strength to body people on the way to the post. Settles for bad jumpers too much.
  • Love his handle for 6’8. Not superb but he’s getting tons of experience early in HS handling it. Rare for someone that size in nepsac. Plays the PG essentially, though it’s more of a 4 or 5 guard kind of system offensively.
  • Very predictable with the L-R behind the back. Needs another move. It’s gonna get stolen constantly if he doesn’t at the D1 level. I’m surprised that hasn’t been scouted.
  • Good looking shot. Pretty quick getting it off. Little bit of a push still but not bad. Consistent pickup point off the dribble (I think). So ball dominant I have no idea what his catch and shoot looked like… puts the ball down before the shot unnecessarily at times. If he uses his dip to mimic the dribble pick up motion it will help him to translate that skill (sorry guys I did it again).
  • Snaps his passes even with one hand. Love that.
  • Doesn’t really pursue rebounds the way I’d hope for someone 6’8 playing a bunch of 6’3 kids. Not a very good rebounder at all. Getting pushed around a lot.
  • Takes some ill-advised shots.
  • Desperately needs to learn some dribble moves, hesitations, inside-out dribbles, etc. to help him get to the rim. He has almost no driving ability to speak of and this competition isn’t terrific. Not a threat to draw fouls at all because of strength.
  • Seems to dribble equally well with both hands going straight to the rim. Good sign as he develops his driving ability.
  • Most of his TOs were dribbling errors, 1 or two bad passes. Needs to get smarter with when and how he dribbles… this is why a better school would help his development. Wouldn’t have to do everything.
  • Not a threat
Pretty skilled dribble for his size and a 2

Rebound
South Kent vs Kingswood Oxford

Too much dribble and the TO

Nice quick inbound 3. UConn ladies used to run this for Stewie constantly

Couldn’t get to the rim and settles for this puke

Overdribble TO

Touch assist

Soft box n board

Drive and floater

For 3

Sloppy handle, bad shot, but he made it

Pull up 3

TO… that OOB play getting predictable

Drive for 2 with the short floater

Yeesh tough shot. Kinda soft d, but hand was right in his face

Kind of an dumb shot… but a great make nonetheless. On fire right now.

Next play. Another great 3

3s he’s making are getting unfair. Ridiculous.

Board

Reaction Score
GRIFFITHS VS SOUTH KENT

Overall: Fantastic shooter with size. Seems poised to catch fire at any moment. Off balance, bad shots look easy for him. That skill alone is worth a scholarship offer at about 325 schools in the country. Skinny and not very athletic. A little better passer than the numbers indicate, but not great by any means. Handling the ball a lot at 6’8 in high school is great experience, but right now the handle is pretty weak and very predictable. 6 dribbling TOs in this game. His go-to move with no counter was obvious 3 minutes into the game. His coach puts him in a position to handle and pass a bunch though so it will improve quickly if he’s working hard. Not a great defender right now because of athleticism, but the effort is generally there and should improve with experience. Not sure he’ll ever be a + defender unless he gets much stronger. I think it would help his development to transfer to a powerhouse program where he isn’t option 1, 2, and 3 on his team.

29 PTS
3 REB

7 TO
0 STL
0 BLK

4/6 2FG
7/16 3FG
0/0 FT
  • Would like to see him opt into a better program with more size and skill. Competition level is just not very good. Has to do too much for his team.
  • Not a superb athlete. He’s not Carlton. Probably less of an athlete than Karaban right now.
  • Very thin and weak looking… well like a normal kid and not the mammoths we recruit normally. Maybe 6’7 or 6’8. Can’t tell if it’s the skinniness, but seems to have a + wingspan?
  • Defense
    • Like his communication. Calls switches out and gets on the guy aggressively early
    • Weak defending the post because of his weight/strength. Getting beat by smaller guys a few times.
    • Solid effort
    • Good sense for help and positioning. Occasionally overhelping and getting burned, but I prefer that over not helping enough at this crappy level of bball…. Later on was very lazy on help D and looked terrible, wondering if he had foul trouble.
  • Doesn’t really have blow-by speed or the strength to body people on the way to the post. Settles for bad jumpers too much.
  • Love his handle for 6’8. Not superb but he’s getting tons of experience early in HS handling it. Rare for someone that size in nepsac. Plays the PG essentially, though it’s more of a 4 or 5 guard kind of system offensively.
  • Very predictable with the L-R behind the back. Needs another move. It’s gonna get stolen constantly if he doesn’t at the D1 level. I’m surprised that hasn’t been scouted.
  • Good looking shot. Pretty quick getting it off. Little bit of a push still but not bad. Consistent pickup point off the dribble (I think). So ball dominant I have no idea what his catch and shoot looked like… puts the ball down before the shot unnecessarily at times. If he uses his dip to mimic the dribble pick up motion it will help him to translate that skill (sorry guys I did it again).
  • Doesn’t really pursue rebounds the way I’d hope for someone 6’8 playing a bunch of 6’3 kids. Not a very good rebounder at all. Getting pushed around a lot.
  • Desperately needs to learn some dribble moves, hesitations, inside-out dribbles, etc. to help him get to the rim. He has almost no driving ability to speak of and this competition isn’t terrific. Not a threat to draw fouls at all because of strength.
  • Seems to dribble equally well with both hands going straight to the rim. Good sign as he develops his driving ability.
  • Most of his TOs were dribbling errors, 1 or two bad passes. Needs to get smarter with when and how he dribbles… this is why a better school would help his development. Wouldn’t have to do everything.
  • Not a threat

Rebound

Overdribble TO

Touch assist

Soft box n board

Drive and floater

For 3

Pull up 3

Board

Great stuff!!!

Reaction Score
FYI from the 4 Box Scores posted - Griffiths from 3 pt land
vs LiveOn 6-11
vs MaxIrvin 6-12
vs PSA 3-12
vs Woodz 7-12

That is 22-47 in just 4 games!! Prolific # attempts plus 46.8% success on this sample!!

I believe they played other games at Peach Jam because Bowen hit a 3 pt game winner and that game is not one of the 4 box scores.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here <<

-> “He goes and works on his weaknesses,” Seaman said. “He goes and attacks it, then he adds it to his game ... his change of speed at the rim, body control, just drastic improvement over the past four month. He just continues to evolve. He has a scorer’s mentality, and then his ability to hit tough shots. He hits shots that continue to amaze me. He believes every shot is going in. ... I usually am not this optimistic. I am usually safe with my words of player development. To this day, I’ve never seen anyone with his drive.”

Seaman estimates Griffiths does four workouts a day — an hour of drills, then lifting, then open gym and then shoot-around. Larry Griffiths remembers a time when Gavin was a fifth grader, and after a poor performance on the court, put on a winter coat and practiced on an outdoor hoop in the snow. <-

Reaction Score
-> “He goes and works on his weaknesses,” Seaman said. “He goes and attacks it, then he adds it to his game ... his change of speed at the rim, body control, just drastic improvement over the past four month. He just continues to evolve.

This is excellent. He had absolutely no skilling getting to the rim in the game I watched at all. Adding that threat is going to open up his shot even more.

Reaction Score
FYI from the 4 Box Scores posted - Griffiths from 3 pt land
vs LiveOn 6-11
vs MaxIrvin 6-12
vs PSA 3-12
vs Woodz 7-12

That is 22-47 in just 4 games!! Prolific # attempts plus 46.8% success on this sample!!

I believe they played other games at Peach Jam because Bowen hit a 3 pt game winner and that game is not one of the 4 box scores.

Expressions went 6-1 in pool play, won their pool then got sent home because players tested positive for COVID.
Griffiths led the 16's in 3 point % and offensive efficiency and was top 5 in win shares, #9 in scoring average
Matas is on Mac Irvine btw
All the box scores from pool play can be found here - E16 Schedule - Nike EYBL
leaderboad for simple stats is here: Leaderboard - Nike EYBL

Reaction Score
GRIFFITHS VS SOUTH KENT

29 PTS
3 REB

7 TO
0 STL
0 BLK

4/6 2FG
7/16 3FG
0/0 FT
  • Defense
    • Solid effort
  • Not a threat

Rebound

Overdribble TO

Touch assist

Soft box n board

Drive and floater

For 3

Pull up 3

Board

Going to need to continue to improve his all around game in order to play at UConn but I know some people close to him and they say he is leaning heavily towards the Huskies at the moment.

Reaction Score
This would be a huge get, and Bowen. Really admired how LSU in football has basically locked down that state. People rarely leave to play football if LSU targets them.

Would love to see UConn do that with NE. We used to be poachable territory (Herron, Waters, Diablo). Clingan & AK are good starts. Let’s keep it going!
Really good comparison as LSU has signed the top player in the boot every year besides Landon Collins goin to bama I think that was ‘12

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Ranked #35 in new Rivals rankings

between him, Bowen #29, Castle #25 and others we seem to be in very good position with a handful of super talented kids. This could be the best class in a loooong time

Reaction Score
Given the new ranking and the exposure coming in Vegas this weekend (where several top 40 kids in 2022/23 are playing) the number of offers for both Gavin and Taylor will increase dramatically come this time on Monday.

Reaction Score
E964k6aVQAEBjue.jpeg

Reaction Score
Chief isn’t the Kingswood dude on this board, but he does have good rotation on his shot. Brown gets after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom