Garden ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

Garden ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. Our guard play was disappointing to say the least. The only ones in the building who performed worse than our guards were the refs and Dick Vitale.
  2. CV had his worst game this year. 8 rebounds was his only bright spot. 5 assists sounds good, but it was against 7 turnovers, 6 of which were on passes that never should have entered his mind, much less left his hand. 7 points on 2 of 8 shooting and 2 of 5 from the line. Missed more FTs last night than in the first 8 games total.
  3. AG. Eight dimes against 3 TOs was encouraging. But not encouraging enough to overcome 1 of 9 shooting.
  4. Bouknight? Not ready for the bright lights and the big stage? He was playing scared the whole game. One rebound, a steal and 3 turnovers. That's his entire stat line. Only attempted 3 shots. Missed them all.
  5. Adams was 2 rebounds and one fewer missed shot less bad than Bouk.
  6. Our front court was better. Sort of. Carlton was great. Until late in the game when Brunk absolutely abused him.
  7. Akok started out like a house afire. Blocks, baskets, boards. But he really needed a blow pretty quickly, and when he came back in, he was almost invisible.
  8. Polley did what Polley does. 3 for 7 from 3, for 4 from the FT line. Three boards. Sigh.
  9. Sid was a bright spot? A couple blocks, four boards and 5 points in about 10 minutes of court time. Alright, maybe not all that bright a bright spot, but at least he ended up on the plus side of the ledger.
  10. I found it amazing that they could put forth that lackluster an effort and still be close at the end.

Reaction Score
  1. Our guard play was disappointing to say the least. The only ones in the building who performed worse than our guards were the refs and Dick Vitale.
  2. CV had his worst game this year. 8 rebounds was his only bright spot. 5 assists sounds good, but it was against 7 turnovers, 6 of which were on passes that never should have entered his mind, much less left his hand. 7 points on 2 of 8 shooting and 2 of 5 from the line. Missed more FTs last night than in the first 8 games total.
  3. AG. Eight dimes against 3 TOs was encouraging. But not encouraging enough to overcome 1 of 9 shooting.
  4. Bouknight? Not ready for the bright lights and the big stage? He was playing scared the whole game. One rebound, a steal and 3 turnovers. That's his entire stat line. Only attempted 3 shots. Missed them all.
  6. Our front court was better. Sort of. Carlton was great. Until late in the game when Brunk absolutely abused him.
  7. Akok started out like a house afire. Blocks, baskets, boards. But he really needed a blow pretty quickly, and when he came back in, he was almost invisible.
  8. Polley did what Polley does. 3 for 7 from 3, for 4 from the FT line. Three boards. Sigh.
  9. Sid was a bright spot? A couple blocks, four boards and 5 points in about 10 minutes of court time. Alright, maybe not all that bright a bright spot, but at least he ended up on the plus side of the ledger.
  10. I found it amazing that they could put forth that lackluster an effort and still be close at the end.
7. Akok was by far the best player on the floor

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sid definitely qualifies as a bright spot. Thought Indiana was going to put the game away in the second half but when he came in we quickly turned a 5 point deficit into a tie.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think you underrated Sid, and Akok's second foul was a game changer. Thanks again.

Reaction Score
I think the most concerning thing is, we got IU to play our style. We slowed them down, forced bad shots, limited transition buckets, limited their free throws, rebounded the ball decently well (with the exception of the last few minutes), and we still lost the game. They beat us at our own game. Turnovers and Poor shooting will do that.

Reaction Score
I think you're underestimating Carlton. He played I think 34 minutes last night. They guy who scored a few times off him late in the game played 18, and didn't score double digits. Carlton was gassed at the end and they took advantage. It's not his fault Whalley wasn't strong enough to hold his own and Akok's foul trouble kept him from getting a few minutes at the 5.

Reaction Score
I think the most concerning thing is, we got IU to play our style. We slowed them down, forced bad shots, limited transition buckets, limited their free throws, rebounded the ball decently well (with the exception of the last few minutes), and we still lost the game. They beat us at our own game. Turnovers and Poor shooting will do that.

This is a good point.

We just aren't good enough at executing offensively to play this grind it out half court game against good defenses. Carlton is the only guy that can reliably get his own bucket against high major defenders at this time. But he's going to turn it over 25% of the time, too. Our guards can penetrate, but they can't score when they do (Gilbert didn't draw a single foul). Polley can't get his shot off against good defenders unless the defender gets really snagged on a screen. Bouk has shown he can do it in the past, but couldn't yesterday.

I would like to see more penetrate and kick out. Or Carlton kick outs when defenders dive and swipe on him.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I found it amazing that they could put forth that lackluster an effort and still be close at the end.

This is our one positive takeaway (because we have to stay positive!)
In the past few years we would have gotten buried playing this bad (think Nova/Wichita St. at the XL 2 years ago), and we had a shot to win.

Reaction Score
Maybe Indiana's guards prove to be Napier-Boatright level defenders and UConn is one of many teams to have their backcourt totally annihilated by IU?

Meanwhile, although I only saw the 2nd half, I thought UConn's guard defense (save for a few overplays leading to layups) provided more pressure than IU. At least half of UConn's errors were unforced.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I probably did go a little hard on Akok and Sid. And Polley. None of them were the reason we lost. they played to their potential. Probably could have used a bit more Sid, and Polley should have been a little more aggressive.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I probably did go a little hard on Akok and Sid. And Polley. I didn't start to compose my thoughts until the end of the game, by which time I was both tired and disgusted. None of them were the reason we lost. they played to their potential, or at least in the general vicinity of their potential. Probably could have used a bit more Sid, and Polley should have been a little more aggressive.

Reaction Score
Sid was a bright spot? A couple blocks, four boards and 5 points in about 10 minutes of court time. Alright, maybe not all that bright a bright spot, but at least he ended up on the plus side of the ledger.
Well if UConn got half that production from 1 or 2 others on the bench they win this game. So in the grand scheme of things we'll go with Sid was a bright spot.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think you underrated Sid, and Akok's second foul was a game changer. Thanks again.
His second foul was also non-existent. He barely touched the kid.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why we barely saw Whaley? In my opinion, he’s looked like a pretty reliable defender and rebounder off the bench this year, and even been knocking down some mid-range jumpers, yet he hardly featured at all. Understandably, most of our issues were in the backcourt, but I was surprised he only got 2 minutes, even with Akok’s foul trouble

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why we barely saw Whaley? In my opinion, he’s looked like a pretty reliable defender and rebounder off the bench this year, and even been knocking down some mid-range jumpers, yet he hardly featured at all. Understandably, most of our issues were in the backcourt, but I was surprised he only got 2 minutes, even with Akok’s foul trouble
Perhaps we are seeing phase one of shortening the bench. If Josh can stay in the floor Whaley ain’t gonna see the floor much.

Reaction Score
Perhaps we are seeing phase one of shortening the bench. If Josh can stay in the floor Whaley ain’t gonna see the floor much.

Whaley is probably the closest thing we have to a backup for Josh, but even him stepping into the 4 spot when Akok is sitting could be beneficial for us. I love Polley but the guy is not a power forward. He’s probably our best shooter but doesn’t like to use his body much and isn’t really a rebounder. I think in a lot of games, Whaley coming in to defend the paint and rebound would benefit us by letting Polley space the floor a little more and hopefully conserve a little more energy for getting himself open on the other end of the floor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom