Gandy Malou-Mamel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou-Mamel

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gandy came to the U.S. in August 2022. By December, she was starting.

In December, the team lost a starter to injury and [Coach] Gnapp promoted Malou-Mamel. She had improved just as fast, if not faster, than any player he’d seen in his three decades of coaching.

Malou-Mamel took advantage of the new role and blossomed. She became more than just a rim protector and learned how to get out of opponents’ double teams in the post. Gnapp was so impressed that he kept Malou-Mamel in the starting five even when the previous starter came back from injury. She finished her sophomore season, her first in the U.S., averaging 7.5 points and 6.9 rebounds in 27 games.

"She’s the kid that’s the reason why you love coaching," Gnapp said. "This year we had a lot of good players, so it was hard to give everyone the minutes they wanted and especially Gandy at the beginning. But she was a kid that never complained, just worked hard every day. So, that’s why we love coaching. … She impacted me by just making me love coaching even more
."

Reaction Score
If you go GSB to see her play, let me know. If I can I'll head down there too.
They are Non-Publc B so our best bet will bet the North Jersey Finals.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are Non-Publc B so our best bet will bet the North Jersey Finals.
Can we just show up at a game?

Reaction Score
Uh....

;)
We may have to get tickets ahead of time. Depends where it is played. Likely not sold out though. If we can't get them ahead we just show up early.

Reaction Score
The NJSIAA which is the high school sports governing body abolished the Tournament of Champions which had an overall boys and girls state champ due to fiscal issues. There are now only Group champions based on the size of the school both public and non- public. Gill St. Bernards is a private school and hence in the Non-Public bracket and they are a B team which only connotes the size of the school. There are 2 North Jersey brackets and the winner of those two plays the winner of the Central and South Jersey brackets for the state group title. Usually 8 teams in each bracket so to win your group you have to win 5 game in a row. When we had the T of C you needed to win 7 or 8.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Her coach talked about her not getting much PT early and her robust effort
and improvement as the season progressed.

Guess so! Last 8 games: averaging 23 points/12 boards....yikes!
Can't wait to get courtside reports from BBall and CL82.

We play 'Nova Wednesday night. Would love to hear a Horde member who drops by to see her play...today?
Thursday?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Gandy came to the U.S. in August 2022. By December, she was starting.

In December, the team lost a starter to injury and [Coach] Gnapp promoted Malou-Mamel. She had improved just as fast, if not faster, than any player he’d seen in his three decades of coaching.

Malou-Mamel took advantage of the new role and blossomed. She became more than just a rim protector and learned how to get out of opponents’ double teams in the post. Gnapp was so impressed that he kept Malou-Mamel in the starting five even when the previous starter came back from injury. She finished her sophomore season, her first in the U.S., averaging 7.5 points and 6.9 rebounds in 27 games.

"She’s the kid that’s the reason why you love coaching," Gnapp said. "This year we had a lot of good players, so it was hard to give everyone the minutes they wanted and especially Gandy at the beginning. But she was a kid that never complained, just worked hard every day. So, that’s why we love coaching. … She impacted me by just making me love coaching even more
."

"She’s a UConn Husky, 11 months after she arrived in America. It’s one hell of a story."

Let's hope for the Storrs chapters to be historic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We may have to get tickets ahead of time. Depends where it is played. Likely not sold out though. If we can't get them ahead we just show up early.
Well, let me know. I'd be curious to see her play and I'm about the same distance away that you are.

Reaction Score
People seem to keep forgetting about Gandy - for those who don’t know, she’s given UConn her verbal commitment. She’s a big from the high school class of 2025 and her high school roster now lists her as 6-6. Gandy averaging 18.7 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. Here are her stats, game by game. Her team is 17-2 and ranked #7 in NJ in their division.

View attachment 95813
Based on what I have read she is extremely green playing basketball but she has a very athletic gate, especially for a taller player. By the time she gets to UConn she will be a handful and will really fill a need. She is the kind of prospect you have a lot of excitement for based on how high her ceiling is going to be.

Reaction Score
Hopefully, she will find her way into the USA basketball program and get the experience against top competition that is needed.
GANDY is an IRISH National, correct? I believe that I saw (somewhere)
that she has already done some training with the IRISH National Team (for
her age group, eg U16, U 18) or was that merely interest on the Irish National Team part?
Olivia Vukoso has dual citizenship, correct? She already has one summer experience with
the CROATIA NATIONAL TEAM last summer. They came in 5th, I believe.
I see now that HUSKY NAN has already made this point!

Reaction Score
The good news is that her team, Gill St. Bernards is ranked 7th in New Jersey. The bad news is that the #4 and #1 teams are both in their bracket for the state tournament. However, it also means that there will be a game against good competition to watch her.

Reaction Score
It's understood she is a project. She needs to keep progressing and I'm sure there will also be some communication to get her in the best shape she can be by the time she arrives at UConn. She has some obvious skill, and you can't teach size. She may still even get a little taller.
I just would like to see her play on the other side of the lane as well and maybe use the other hand on occasion next. She has 1 year and 1/2 to build her arsenal and hopefully she won't need to do too much because Jana will be what a lot of people think she is and healthy.

Reaction Score
I think one reason Gandy is off the radar for some Uconn fans is that she has not yet popped up on top recruiting lists. We know she is a raw talent that is progressing nicely, but we are used to recruits in the top 20 or 30 nationally. Last year her stats wouldn't draw much attention to her, she had just come to this country, and she probably didn't get AAU exposure (at least I don't think so).

This year should be entirely different. As a Uconn recruit, that automatically brings attention your way, this year she is putting up big numbers, and if she plays AAU this summer, scouts will get to see her against better competition. The videos give everyone more to form an opinion as well, and of course she is listed as 6-6 now.

The high school ratings don't get updated that frequently, but at least by the end of this summer I expect Gandy to show up on the rankings, and since she is still developing after her senior year be ranked higher still. Like many I think Morgan is likely to get a bump in the next updated ratings as well.

Reaction Score
It’s extremely encouraging that she seems to have good hands. That’s one of the really important attributes for good bigs. Hard to tell about her footwork but hopefully that’s coming along as well. If she can get good coaching over the next year and a half, and develop her shot, she has a chance to be a real find for us!

Reaction Score
The good news is that her team, Gill St. Bernards is ranked 7th in New Jersey. The bad news is that the #4 and #1 teams are both in their bracket for the state tournament. However, it also means that there will be a game against good competition to watch her.
New Jersey is broken up into several divisions. I believe Gill St. Bernards is in a prep division. If you look at who they play, it's mostly other prep schools. Being 7th in a prep division isn't nearly as impressive as being "7th in New Jersey".

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
New Jersey is broken up into several divisions. I believe Gill St. Bernards is in a prep division. If you look at who they play, it's mostly other prep schools. Being 7th in a prep division isn't nearly as impressive as being "7th in New Jersey".
I’m disappointed, but sadly unsurprised, that there have been comments such as this in this thread. If any of the people that spent five minutes typing a putdown of Gandy or Gill St Bernard’s had used that time to do an Internet search, they’d know they were dead wrong. Gill St. Bernard’s is second in its conference and now 5th ranked in the State of New Jersey. Before disparaging people, how about learning some facts first?

If Gandy, her coaches, teammates, foster family or friends read this, my apologies to you.

71F8F1F8-BA67-4E64-8AFB-34DB9027391F.jpeg
4E32D629-F3A4-4E7D-8045-120F4C93851D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I interpreted the comment about being highly ranked in the state as another positive comment about Gandy and her team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom