Gandy Malou Mamel stats | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou Mamel stats

Reaction Score
It looks like she's averaging a healthy 15 pts, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, and almost 1 steal per game. But she's not setting the free throw line on fire at 50%

Reaction Score
Remember she's just a kid. By the time she gets to Uconn , she will be a much better player andwhen Geno geta ahold of her, she will be even better yet. Our future is really looking good..........even spectacular. GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
It looks like she's averaging a healthy 15 pts, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks, and almost 1 steal per game. But she's not setting the free throw line on fire at 50%
Free Throw shooting will be the last piece of the shooting puzzle to come together for a player with her limited experience in the game. The good news is once she figures out how to shoot it comes down to practice and if she has a good attitude she should be serviceable by time she arrives at UConn.

Reaction Score
Currently, Gandy's offense is limited to low post layups and putbacks against mainly smaller players. She has no midrange shot to speak of, and the FT% is consistent with this. But she can develop this, as @Rowdy831 suggests, and until then simply having a second rim protector and rebounder will be enough. She can develop in Jana's shadow for a couple years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic. However, almost identical comments were made about Piath Gabriel - Who went from UCONN to UMASS to Portland, and has yet to even be a starter on these lesser teams. In fairness, UMASS was a solid mid-major when she was there. Amari is another example of a player who has not developed in college either. Let's hope 3rd time's the charm...

Reaction Score
if you look at her team's schedule you can see that they recently got slammed by perennial power Rutgers Prep who's got Mikayla Blakes the tenth-ranked recruit in the '24 class..........most of those early wins were against very weak opponents so it's hard to make serious judgments about GMM's stats....

Reaction Score
I am cautiously optimistic. However, almost identical comments were made about Piath Gabriel - Who went from UCONN to UMASS to Portland, and has yet to even be a starter on these lesser teams. In fairness, UMASS was a solid mid-major when she was there. Amari is another example of a player who has not developed in college either. Let's hope 3rd time's the charm...

You seem to have forgotten El Alfy whose story has been delayed for a year.

Reaction Score
El Alfy is not at all comparable to Gabriel or Amari in terms of her skills or the type of game she plays.

This is about tall players. I believe Deberry was a ranked recruit with HS and AAU experience and was chosen to play for USABB. She was totally different in terms of preparation from the other two players. El Alfy, a foreign player with no US experience has more in common with Gabriel and Mamou Mamel.

Reaction Score
This is about tall players. I believe Deberry was a ranked recruit with HS and AAU experience and was chosen to play for USABB. She was totally different in terms of preparation from the other two players. El Alfy, a foreign player with no US experience has more in common with Gabriel and Mamou Mamel.
I think we haven't seen anything from Gandy yet to distinguish her from Piath, though she seems more active than Amari. What they all have in common is limited experience against quality players at their size.

But I disagree about Jana. She is a very different sort of player. As I posted in another thread, she was awesome in the FIBA U19 games against much better teams when she was on a very weak team. She made numerous plays where she took on 2 or more opposing bigs and scored through them, over them, around them, carrying them along as they hung onto her. Jana is big and strong, unafraid of mixing it up with other bigs, and she has really good handles. The Egyptian guard play in particular was so weak that they rarely managed to get a pass to her in the post. She literally had to come to the elbow to get the ball and then fight her way to the rim. Imagine the luxury for her to be on a team with great guards and perimeter shooting. She'll eat opposition posts alive 1v1. Here's a few photos from that tournament that show her toughness. It's worth scrolling through the images on this site: Jana ELALFY at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup 2023 - FIBA.basketball

1704594769407.png

1704594798633.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll sign on when I see her do that against Cardoso or Betts. I hope you are right.
She may not out play Betts -- Cardoso will be long gone by then -- but these make it clear she's in a different league from Piath and Gandy.

And I have some suspicion that she'll be a handful even for Betts. Jana has a midrange game and a perimeter game in addition to being willing to mix it up with opposing bigs. Betts has no offense beyond 5 ft from the rim. Neither does Kamila by the way. These shots also show that she has handles and can drive the lane.

Reaction Score
Boy, talk about whetting our appetites! I can’t wait til next year! I think she’s gonna do something special here!

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'll sign on when I see her do that against Cardoso or Betts. I hope you are right.
I agree, the opponents in those pictures look to be shall I say....minuscule

Reaction Score
One of the Chinese players was 6'6", and the Cesko team had 2 players her size.

True. And Deberry is 6'6 and I'd wager that a search on Google would turn up some impressive games from her past. Geno didn't recruit her based on nothing.
I also watched El Alfy last summer and she was impressive but FIBAEuro U19 isn't elite D1 where 22 year olds play. UConn fans don't simply want a D1 level player, they want a dominating post that can play in the FF.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gandy has pictures, too. You guys that are belittling her abilities know she’s a high school junior that started playing a few years ago, right? Jana finished high school a year ago and her Dad is Egypt’s National Team Coach. The two are coming at different places in their development.

AFEE328E-6728-4EE4-9525-BB01E8DB62A1.jpeg
5B817EC6-FF7A-418F-AFD8-26D54B9EB24C.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom