Gampel Pre-game? | The Boneyard

Gampel Pre-game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I haven't been pre-gaming for Gampel games in years but will be this Sunday. What is the best spot for a few drinks (preferable near Gampel so we can just walk in). I know the Civic Pub isn't there anymore. Just Ted's?

Reaction Score
Teds will be swamped. If you dont mind that then go there for some cheap beer. Sunday has $5 or $6 Beavers (small not big ones). If youre looking for something more low key go to Nathan Hale hotel pub (if theyre open). If you do have a driver Chucks Margs is great

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I'm also returning to Gampel on Sunday and haven't been in years. What's a good uncrowded lunch spot around?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The only real bars are Teds, Huskies, Final Pour (formerly Thirsties) and the Nathan Hale Bar.

Storrs Center has some places (There's a new wings place in there as well as a couple other options) if you want to grub and drink at the same time.

Reaction Score
Genos serves booze in Storrs Center. Huskies and Thirsties wont be open at noon on a Sunday unless there is a special event. It really comes down to Teds to be packed in like a sardine for a $3 Bud Light or pay a little more and have a quiet 5 or 6 drinks at Nathan Hale for a bit more money.

If youre looking for food there is a lot around though. Good amount of options in Storrs Center, or you could venture and try Yukon Jacks or somewhere like that. Chucks Margs is great but I doubt you want a massive buritto at 11:30 before a game. If you want breakfast go to bagel zone

Drew

Reaction Score
Genos serves booze in Storrs Center. Huskies and Thirsties wont be open at noon on a Sunday unless there is a special event. It really comes down to Teds to be packed in like a sardine for a $3 Bud Light or pay a little more and have a quiet 5 or 6 drinks at Nathan Hale for a bit more money.

If youre looking for food there is a lot around though. Good amount of options in Storrs Center, or you could venture and try Yukon Jacks or somewhere like that. Chucks Margs is great but I doubt you want a massive buritto at 11:30 before a game. If you want breakfast go to bagel zone

Yukon Jack's is no more. Closed last year

Reaction Score
Since you emphasized not crowded rather than good may I suggest Tavern House Grille? Never crowded unless the Tolland Townies need to watch Moto-Cross or UFC. Decent draught selection. Food is super hit or miss. Typically decent eye candy working.

Reaction Score
Pub 32 isn't too far off campus either. Plus they have billiards.

Reaction Score
Since you emphasized not crowded rather than good may I suggest Tavern House Grille? Never crowded unless the Tolland Townies need to watch Moto-Cross or UFC. Decent draught selection. Food is super hit or miss. Typically decent eye candy working.
Pub 32 is the same way. With the food usually being a big miss. But if youre looking for beers they have 32 beers on tap and its a great little dive. It used to be out tuesday and wednesday night spot with teds/huskies/thirsties on thursday-saturday night

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Pub 32 is the same way. With the food usually being a big miss. But if youre looking for beers they have 32 beers on tap and its a great little dive. It used to be out tuesday and wednesday night spot with teds/huskies/thirsties on thursday-saturday night
That will always be Hooligans to me

Reaction Score
Is that the place that used to be Schmedley's?
Its at the bottom of South Eagleville. Pretty much right on the corner of South Eagleville and the bottom of that big hill (Rt. 32)

Reaction Score
I would hit TED's but if you're looking for a less crowded bar with food, you might want to try Bidwell Tavern. I haven't been there before a game, but it's a good atmosphere and the food is pretty good.

Reaction Score
Do what I do... shotgun some beers in the parking lot.

Nice 916, I used to do that too. Actually if I wasn't going with my son to this one me and my buddy would join you LOL. Throw a nipper of McGillicudy's down too!;)

Drew

Reaction Score
When we were students for week night Gampel games my buddies and I would all meet at the union around 5/530 when we were done with class and have "union pregames". Buy a ton of nips and bring them to class and then meet in the union and have the unlimited refills on soda and down 10-15 nips in the union before heading into the game.

Reaction Score
When we were students for week night Gampel games my buddies and I would all meet at the union around 5/530 when we were done with class and have "union pregames". Buy a ton of nips and bring them to class and then meet in the union and have the unlimited refills on soda and down 10-15 nips in the union before heading into the game.
We used to have our "coffees" before day games. Half of us would heat up cider in a pan and the other half would run to dunkin and get as many tall hot coffees as neccissary. We would then fill half the cup with cider and half with fireball. That way we could just have our "coffee" while waiting outside for seats.

Also the time that there was a 9 PM game and nickel started at 7 last year. Half of the student section was blacked out

Drew

Reaction Score
We used to have our "coffees" before day games. Half of us would heat up cider in a pan and the other half would run to dunkin and get as many tall hot coffees as neccissary. We would then fill half the cup with cider and half with fireball. That way we could just have our "coffee" while waiting outside for seats.

Also the time that there was a 9 PM game and nickel started at 7 last year. Half of the student section was blacked out

the first time we played Houston at Gampel was one of those 9pm after nickel situations. There's a picture of me sitting on the ground underneath one of the scoreboards by the top of the student section with my shirt off holding 3 chili cheese dogs, which apparently I demanded everyone eat for "good luck". Great times.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Schmedley's .... how I miss that place. Vodka and soda in a pint glass, pool tables and tool on the juke box. A good piece of my heart (and liver) still remains scattered around the area.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Do what I do... shotgun some beers in the parking lot.

Yup. Before the Tulsa game, when it was in the single digits (and below 0 after the game) I drank a couple of beers in the parking lot and did a shot of polish in the car right before going in. A good way to warm up.

Reaction Score
Yup. Before the Tulsa game, when it was in the single digits (and below 0 after the game) I drank a couple of beers in the parking lot and did a shot of polish in the car right before going in. A good way to warm up.

Was that polish or "Polish" Rico?

Reaction Score
Where do all the BYers sit at Gampel? My wife works for CBS the Xerox company you see on the flashing sideline signs as well as all over Gampel and the Rent and I finally was able to say yes to grabbing their seats today so looking forward to it. I must admit though, tough to watch a game without being able to rewind to see the call or the moves etc etc..;)

Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog