Gampel on TV | The Boneyard

Gampel on TV

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Watching the game on tv, it was great to remind everyone watching what a home court advantage Gampel can be. The student section was tremendous, not an empty seat in the place, and the crowd is right on top of the court.

Every game minus 2-3 should be at Gampel. If they’re worried about money, there should be game day discounts all over campus and the surrounding area to make up for the loss of seats. There is no student section at XL at anymore and there are always empty seats. People will make the drive to Gampel now that we’re in the big East.

Reaction Score
Watching the game on tv, it was great to remind everyone watching what a home court advantage Gampel can be. The student section was tremendous, not an empty seat in the place, and the crowd is right on top of the court.

Every game minus 2-3 should be at Gampel. If they’re worried about money, there should be game day discounts all over campus and the surrounding area to make up for the loss of seats. There is no student section at XL at anymore and there are always empty seats. People will make the drive to Gampel now that we’re in the big East.
Also watched on tv and it’s been awhile since it sounded and looked like it did. Reminded me of the good old days.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Back in the Big East playing regional and historic rivals every game will be like this. Unless we’re terrible, which we won’t be.

Reaction Score
Gampel was absolutely rocking today. Florida was awesome as well, but today seemed even better. This fanbase is dying for something to root for. If we improve next year, we'll have environments like this on a regular basis again.

Reaction Score
Great crowd, maybe even better than the Florida game. Florida was probably a little more hyped pregame and at the start, this one better from the first big red moment on.

The negative is the student section wasn't completely packed which is kind of ridiculous seeing as how they don't have to buy tickets anymore

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score

9400 announced. 800 empty seats. For Cinci. That’s not great.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
And I’m not trying to be an a hole about it. The people there sounded great. But when we draw 13k for Wichita State, we aren’t going to be moving all games out of XL. Nova, Gtown type games are guaranteed to sell 15k plus in Hartford. The athletic department needs money.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
And I’m not trying to be an a hole about it. The people there sounded great. But when we draw 13k for Wichita State, we aren’t going to be moving all games out of XL. Nova, Gtown type games are guaranteed to sell 15k plus in Hartford. The athletic department needs money.
15k and we get no food or parking cash.

Reaction Score
It was a fun day with the fans that were there really trying to boost the team. The sound system was real good today. Now if we could see some replays of foul calls and OOB calls. Fans are kept in the dark on those plays as well as video reviews by the officials. Something I can't figure out is there are quite a few empty seats in the upper chairbacks across from the team benches. I counted at least 20 in each section with groups of 2 or 3 and one row with 6 empty midcourt. When you look for tickets those sections show only singles for sale. Where are the people that bought those seats? It was worse for Florida with 40 empty seats a section on that side. As for the student section even the Cinci bench end was not full up top. Those sections used to be full when students had to pay for tickets. I can't figure it out but if the team keeps getting better and those seats are not full start selling them to non-students. Is it because it was a Sunday game and they were hitting the books? I hope we get more Saturday home games in the Big East.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also watched on tv and it’s been awhile since it sounded and looked like it did. Reminded me of the good old days.
It certainly was. I've been going since I was kid. Glad I'm living in CT again and can get to home games. Today felt like the days of the past. A hard fought victory. They played with pride and heart. The energy and enthusiasm was felt in the crowd and on the court. Such a great atmosphere. So proud of these guys. Send Vital (the only senior) out with a winning season. Plenty to play for the rest of the way!!

Reaction Score
You're failing

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
9400 announced. 800 empty seats. For Cinci. That’s not great.
“Not an empty seat...” Try to take things not so literally.

Reaction Score
Still more than a UConn football game
Is that actually true? I attend football games as well. I have to say, the indoor environment in February is much more comfortable than the outdoor environment in Mid October and November.

Reaction Score

Not sure how they call it a sellout. Looked like a whole empty section near the corner by the visitor bench.

Reaction Score
When the XL center is sold out the student section doesn't matter as much. The XL can be deafening

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
15k and we get no food or parking cash.
I would love to see what the breakeven number is at XL compared to Gampel taking into account parking and concessions. I really hope someone has done that math and understands the bottom line of playing in each venue.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Glad the place looked great on TV, but in person you could say a bunch of seats unfilled, including many in the student section. Those students that were there were great, but NOTHING like late 90's/early 2000's...

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Disagree. We play 5-7 home games every year over XMas break. ZERO/ZILCH/NADA of those games should be played at Gampel.
So true.
They should never play a game on campus when students are away.

But same holds true otherwise, when students are there Gampel almost always light years of a better home environment than the Civic Center (suck it XL)

Reaction Score
Glad the place looked great on TV, but in person you could say a bunch of seats unfilled, including many in the student section. Those students that were there were great, but NOTHING like late 90's/early 2000's...
The students today aren't the student of the 90s/2000s. And this is coming from someone who is a student.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom