Gampel on TV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gampel on TV

Reaction Score
Why do you think that is?

Pretty obvious. Kids today love their phones and binge watching. Actually going places is pretty far down the list.

Edit: It is getting to the point where kids, my 13 year old included, are FaceTiming and Housepartying mutiple friends at once having 3 hour “play dates”. Going to see them is rapidly becoming an inconvenience.

Reaction Score
No passion/loyalty that previous generations had. I don't go to UConn (I go to Central) and that's just how I feel students are. More worried about a million other things than going to basketball games. Sad.

Reaction Score

For one, the team isn’t as good as it was. I also wonder if interest in sports has decreased as the level of student has improved. That’s not to say that smart kids don’t like sports; rather, maybe students are more likely to be choosing UConn for academics than sports/campus life. There were a lot of reasons I chose UConn in 2000, but I first wanted to go there when men’s basketball started to take off.

Reaction Score
Glad the place looked great on TV, but in person you could say a bunch of seats unfilled, including many in the student section. Those students that were there were great, but NOTHING like late 90's/early 2000's...
I was in 123 behind the Cinci bench right next to the student section, I thought the student section looked pretty full to me. But as others have said, there were plenty of empty seats. The older folks seated next to me left with 8:36 left in the second half "were old" they said. We will watch on tv from home. Ok then. A couple others behind me left as well before the end of regulation. I wasn't leaving until the final buzzer.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I get not going to a Hartford game on a weeknight VS Tulane, but Gampel game on a saturday (noon) VS Cincy?

Like I said, those that were there were Awesome. Hopefully winning and BE next year will bring them back even better than ever.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I get not going to a Hartford game on a weeknight VS Tulane, but Gampel game on a saturday (noon) VS Cincy?

Like I said, those that were there were Awesome. Hopefully winning and BE next year will bring them back even better than ever.
It’s Sunday. Just wanted to make sure you don’t wrongly miss work tomorrow

Reaction Score
I think we’re an incredibly attractive school academically now. Not to say UConn wasn’t a good school in the 90’s/00’s, but the student population now compared to then has different values, I believe.

Reaction Score
Are these responses serious? Students aren't going to games as much because UConn is so amazing academically? lol.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
I think we’re an incredibly attractive school academically now. Not to say UConn wasn’t a good school in the 90’s/00’s, but the student population now compared to then has different values, I believe.

There could be something there...but there are a ton of amazing academic schools that still bring out the students. (Duck Fuke)

Reaction Score
There could be something there...but there are a ton of amazing academic schools that still bring out the students. (Duck Fuke)

Winning helps Duke fill seats. We’ll be fine, just need to get back to “normal”.

Reaction Score
Are these responses serious? Students aren't going to games as much because UConn is so amazing academically? lol.
This is funny. People aren't going to games because it's 2020 and the experience is so much better on TV

Reaction Score
People aren't going to games because we have been bad, very bad. No tournament birth since 2016 bad. I think next year is going to be interesting to watch the attendance. Back to Big East (I know technically we never left) and I think we will be better team.

Reaction Score
This is funny. People aren't going to games because it's 2020 and the experience is so much better on TV
It's the same reason all sporting events don't get as many people, movie theaters don't get as many people, sports bars don't get as many people anymore. There really is no mystery here. We do pretty well considering we sucked for 3+ years in a row and are a misfit in a lousy conference. We'll do really starting next year.

Reaction Score

Since I went to literally every home game for four years, I can't even remember whether or not I could watch most games on TV when I was a UConn student. I agree that's probably an issue. And our performance is almost certainly the biggest issue.

Still, I wouldn't dismiss the idea that students who choose UConn care less about sports now, although I admit I might be wrong. The average SAT score of UConn freshmen at Storrs has increased from 1189 in 2005 to 1296 in 2019. In 2005, 37% of incoming freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class. In 2019, it was up to 55%. Does that mean academics are contributing to declining attendance? No, of course not. But UConn is a more competitive and well-respected college than it ever has been.

Reaction Score

Probably mostly just the quality of the team and the schedule. I'm sure the diehards who grew up as huge uconn fans and wanted to go to uconn because of basketball are still going. But for the casuals or the kids who don't start supporting uconn basketball until being a student there hasn't been a lot to get excited about. Used to be we'd have a winning team playing an awesome big east schedule and now its been a losing team playing maybe 2-3 home games worth getting semi excited for a year and losing most of the time.

So for a game like today, where the long time loyal fans saw this as a big game against a semi rival and a chance to show we're finally getting over the hump and beating good teams, and we're clearly working our way back to where we were, most of the students just see it as our mediocre basketball team playing an ok cincy team.

The national trends of attendance being down im sure plays some role, but when we are good again and in the big east we'll be fine attendance and atmospehre wise.

Reaction Score
There isn't anything better than a raucous Gampel crowd, which I was a part of. However, love watching it on TV and therefore I ask when the Cincy replay will be available? Want to see how electric the crowd came across.

Reaction Score
Since I went to literally every home game for four years, I can't even remember whether or not I could watch most games on TV when I was a UConn student. I agree that's probably an issue. And our performance is almost certainly the biggest issue.

Still, I wouldn't dismiss the idea that students who choose UConn care less about sports now, although I admit I might be wrong. The average SAT score of UConn freshmen at Storrs has increased from 1189 in 2005 to 1296 in 2019. In 2005, 37% of incoming freshmen were in the top 10% of their high school class. In 2019, it was up to 55%. Does that mean academics are contributing to declining attendance? No, of course not. But UConn is a more competitive and well-respected college than it ever has been.
I went to as many as possible, but the majority of my friends for all 4 years preferred just watching on TV with all of us in someone's apartment over going to the game

Reaction Score
I had some fans next to me who screamed with us highfived us....awesome experience. Then I had jerks in front of us who turned and gave the stink eye whenever we cheered....dont they realize where they are? Also, rewatched on tv and the CV 3 after the 2 whaley blocks was crazy loud

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom